The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From Maine to North Carolina.... to what now?

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hello everyone,
My name is Kenzie and I have been a lurker here on the forum for approximately 2 weeks now. Since I have finally finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane , (as of 30 minutes ago) I figured now was a good time for a proper introduction. Like many before me, MJ has opened my mind for the better. While I have never been particularly fond of climbing the corporate ladder or working until the day of my death... I constantly struggle with how I might remove myself from having to choose either of those options. The Millionaire Fastlane proved to me that there's still hope! I grew up in a small secluded mill town in Maine with a population no larger than 6,000. After graduating from my extremely mediocre high school with a whopping graduating class of 88, I left for college. I had dreamt of that very moment for a decade. It was my way out of the small depressed mill town where nothing happens and away from parents who were constantly bickering about finances. I promised myself that college would be my one way ticket to freedom! Boy, was I wrong. It took me no more than a semester to realize that something was very, very wrong with my dream. It crushed me. It became clear to me with every single day that passed, that I was falling further and further into debt. Worse yet, I wasn't even sure about what I was going to school for, and managed to change my major twice to no avail! It felt like I was given a list of prison sentences to choose from... Doctor, lawyer, veterinarian.... dentist. Yet the outcome always felt the same. Unremarkable, uninspired, and forgettable. How could I spend this one life I was given working like an animal in cage, only to be released when I'm too old to enjoy it?! So I dropped out. I felt like a complete and utter failure. I became depressed for years looking for an answer, any answer. I turned to modeling as a way to generate a temporary income and pursue a passion. I became relatively successful and signed with agencies across the globe... It was exhilarating! It opened my eyes to what ultimately became the love of my life. Travel. I promised myself I would travel to every country before I die, for the sake of dying knowing that I left no stone unturned. But... Modeling turned out to be nothing more than glittery sparkling pile of shit for me. It looked glamorous and desirable from the outside but ultimately when I dug in, it turned out to be nothing more than hot, stinky vanity. Jobs were near impossible to get, agents were harsh, the markets saturated... and lastly, it had a time limit. By 22, I was getting old for the industry and I finally came back to reality. Is this really what I wanted? A job that is mostly mindless, degrading, and quite honestly... not that profitable? How would I ever travel the world? I up and quit and moved to North Carolina. I needed the sunshine and short winters. I needed a place for opportunity, to grow, and discover myself. I discovered self help books. I discovered MJ DeMarco. I discovered what I could be! I'm only at the very beginning of my journey. But I have found renewed passion that I had lost back in college. I want to surround myself with likeminded people and discover the possibilities that the Fastlane has to offer. And for that, I have MJ to thank!

I look forward to getting to know everyone and their stories.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fubar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 1, 2016
Tempe, Arizona
I visited Raleigh last year, pretty city!

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone but understand that opportunity is dependent upon your mindset followed by the actions you take, not your location. So take that momentum from the move and instead of discovering yourself, create yourself; establish your goals, educate yourself on the many avenues provided here to achieve that freedom you seek and take action!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your endeavours.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Welcome! That was quite the introduction. I grew-up in Maine and have spent plenty of time in 'the county' (not sure if that's exactly where you're from) so I can sympathize with your desire to leave. Ironically I long to get back to Maine, but no need to get into that here.

You've definitely got the key points down regarding TMF , but I typically warn people not to view them as absolute. For example, my college experience and subsequent 9-5 were central to my Fastlane goals today. And frankly, I love my current 'slowlane' job. The difference is that I see it for what it is - a fragile existence dependent on someone else. That doesn't make me depressed, but motivated!

I also don't think of myself as an animal in a cage even though I'm part of the daily commute and work in an office with beige walls - it's just temporary so I embrace it. All of this is to say that you shouldn't totally write-off higher education (college, technical college, etc.) or a job so long as you acknowledge that it might be a necessary part of your growth.

It can be really easy to read TMF and then pretend you're Neo, cruising down the street for the first time with Morpheus, looking at all the people who are still "plugged in". But that's too extreme. Take your time. If you've lived the "script" for 20+ years, you don't need to pull the ejector handle this very instant. Take your time and when you're ready - that's when you make the jump (but don't take forever).

That said, if you're ready to jump in with a brilliant idea, well that's the beauty of TMF. For years people didn't think there was another way and now they know better. You've found a tribe right here of those very people. I'm just saying - don't dwell too much on your college debt or your 9-5 existence - so long as you've got a plan to fix it.

So - what's your plan? If you've been lurking it sounds like you've read all the GOLD threads?

Best of luck from a former Mainer!

-PM

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Welcome to the forum and to NC! Raleigh native here. Always down to talk shop with fellow Fastlaners.

Ravens_Shadow

THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
643%
Oct 2, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm just down in Cary. I moved here a few months ago needing a change in scenery as well. Good luck on your journey!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Welcome! That was quite the introduction. I grew-up in Maine and have spent plenty of time in 'the county' (not sure if that's exactly where you're from) so I can sympathize with your desire to leave. Ironically I long to get back to Maine, but no need to get into that here.

You've definitely got the key points down regarding TMF , but I typically warn people not to view them as absolute. For example, my college experience and subsequent 9-5 were central to my Fastlane goals today. And frankly, I love my current 'slowlane' job. The difference is that I see it for what it is - a fragile existence dependent on someone else. That doesn't make me depressed, but motivated!

I also don't think of myself as an animal in a cage even though I'm part of the daily commute and work in an office with beige walls - it's just temporary so I embrace it. All of this is to say that you shouldn't totally write-off higher education (college, technical college, etc.) or a job so long as you acknowledge that it might be a necessary part of your growth.

It can be really easy to read TMF and then pretend you're Neo, cruising down the street for the first time with Morpheus, looking at all the people who are still "plugged in". But that's too extreme. Take your time. If you've lived the "script" for 20+ years, you don't need to pull the ejector handle this very instant. Take your time and when you're ready - that's when you make the jump (but don't take forever).

That said, if you're ready to jump in with a brilliant idea, well that's the beauty of TMF. For years people didn't think there was another way and now they know better. You've found a tribe right here of those very people. I'm just saying - don't dwell too much on your college debt or your 9-5 existence - so long as you've got a plan to fix it.

So - what's your plan? If you've been lurking it sounds like you've read all the GOLD threads?

Best of luck from a former Mainer!

-PM

Hey there Philip!
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I'm not from the county, but from the western region. A little more populated, thankfully! Reading my thread again, I can definitely agree that it sheds a negative light on higher education. That wasn't really my intent. I do agree with you completely that it could be a necessary growth! I'm actually planning to go back within the next year! (Haven't been a resident of NC for a full year yet) I believe where why negativity comes from is that I was going to school for the wrong reasons. And I knew it. I was going to school because that's what I thought I had to do, because it felt like it was the only way out of my home life, the ONLY way to a successful life. But as you may know, Maine's job market is mediocre at best. It terrified me to think that I could spend thousands on a degree and still not be guaranteed a good job for life. Let alone one that could directly pertain to my degree. Forget about one I actually enjoyed. It ultimately felt like I was paying thousands for something that wasn't guaranteed. I knew I couldn't go back until I had more clarity. Somewhere along my self discovery journey at the beginning of this year, I knew just what I wanted from my college degree. I need something that can function in my every day life and can be of use to me even if I don't put it to work in a cubicle. I found out what that was. Ironically, TMF eradicated any doubts I may have possibly had left about returning to education. As for my plans for right now? I have an idea. But I'd like to educate myself further in topics such as marketing and finance before I jump in blindly. So if there are any books you recommend on either of those subjects, I'd be interested and grateful to hear about them!
Thanks again!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I'm just down in Cary. I moved here a few months ago needing a change in scenery as well. Good luck on your journey!
Thank you! Perhaps we will cross paths at some point of our entrepreneurial journey!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Welcome to the forum and to NC! Raleigh native here. Always down to talk shop with fellow Fastlaners.
Thank you! My goal was certainly to find likeminded people. Bonus points if they're from the same area. So you will be hearing from me.

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I visited Raleigh last year, pretty city!

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone but understand that opportunity is dependent upon your mindset followed by the actions you take, not your location. So take that momentum from the move and instead of discovering yourself, create yourself; establish your goals, educate yourself on the many avenues provided here to achieve that freedom you seek and take action!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your endeavours.

Thank you! I like it quite a bit here and think I may be here to stay. (Raleigh.... and The Fastlane Forum of course) "So take that momentum from the move and instead of discovering yourself, create yourself; establish your goals, educate yourself on the many avenues provided here to achieve that freedom you seek and take action!" YES! I plan on keeping these words in mind. Especially whenever I become discouraged. What a great motivator.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
Welcome! I'm right on the other side of the border in SC. I think I changed my major 6 times while I was in college. And the major I ended up choosing was only chosen because it got me to graduation the quickest. What a wasted 4 years. Luckily I found the MLF and all the amazing people here in the forums. Good luck on your journey!

ThirtyOne

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jul 18, 2017
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,
It felt like I was given a list of prison sentences to choose from... Doctor, lawyer, veterinarian.... dentist. Yet the outcome always felt the same. Unremarkable, uninspired, and forgettable. How could I spend this one life I was given working like an animal in cage, only to be released when I'm too old to enjoy it?! So I dropped out.

I feel the same way. Also, you don't have to apologize for negative feelings toward higher education. The facts are that college graduates are struggling to find employment and those who do are overwhelmingly unsatisfied. Higher education isn't what it's chalked up to be: the promise of a better future.

Welcome to the forum. Best advice for you is to start with what you know and can do NOW to start helping people/entertaining people/solving their problems/providing value. You don't have to figure out how to monetize it or make it a business yet, but you do have to provide value everyday if you are going to find success as an entrepreneur.

Also, there's plenty of GOLD to read here, and as far as books on marketing and finance, there are great recommendations over at Books that Changed Your Life.

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Welcome! I'm right on the other side of the border in SC. I think I changed my major 6 times while I was in college. And the major I ended up choosing was only chosen because it got me to graduation the quickest. What a wasted 4 years. Luckily I found the MLF and all the amazing people here in the forums. Good luck on your journey!
Hey there, thanks for stopping by!
Unfortunately, I can relate. Luckily I left before I wasted more than 2 years of my life "major hopping" and "debt collecting". But I suppose sometimes thats what it takes to be enlightened. I'm already so thankful for the people I have met so far. I'm looking forward to the connections I have to make here on the forum. What a great find!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I feel the same way. Also, you don't have to apologize for negative feelings toward higher education. The facts are that college graduates are struggling to find employment and those who do are overwhelmingly unsatisfied. Higher education isn't what it's chalked up to be: the promise of a better future.

Welcome to the forum. Best advice for you is to start with what you know and can do NOW to start helping people/entertaining people/solving their problems/providing value. You don't have to figure out how to monetize it or make it a business yet, but you do have to provide value everyday if you are going to find success as an entrepreneur.

Also, there's plenty of GOLD to read here, and as far as books on marketing and finance, there are great recommendations over at Books that Changed Your Life.

Thank you ThirtyOne!
Great advice. I can relate to your comment about college graduates. The further I remove myself from the time I spent in college, the more I see it for what it is. I'm choosing not to use it as a wealth vehicle, but as a way to educate myself to create a wealth vehicle. Which, quite honestly... sounds much more practical.

I deal with mass amounts of people within a days span. So I think theres a lot to be learned, discovered, and accomplished. I've begun my switch to entrepreneurial thinking on a daily bases. It's a completely different point of view! I think perhaps in my down time I can focus on reading, and other times work on providing value. Sounds like a good starting point. Thank you for the link, I'm going to check it out!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome Kenzie, do glad you enjoyed TMF . Unscripted is just as good, I think better, so check it out.

So now that you're in NC, what's the plan? And entrepreneurial ideas?

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
To your question on books - I highly recommend 'Unscripted ' (to MJ's reply). I was just blown away reading it. It's the 'complete work'. And you can tell how people feel because they're all here raving about it in their free time.

As to other reading materials - have you finish the GOLD threads? I wouldn't buy a single book until I'd read most of those. There is an unbelievable amount of information packed in there about people who've made it in everything from blogging (which people would tell you isn't about 'blogging' itself but using blogging as a medium) to eComm, to making a living writing for Kindle, consulting, clothing labels, etc.

I don't want to drag them here so I won't use the '@' but look for posts by AaronT, amp0193, ChickenHawk, Yoda, Vigilante, TeveTorbes, G_Alexander, Andy Black, Allen Crawley, and on and on.

This thread is amazing motivation: GOLD - Selling my Ecommerce Business

In my case, I'm using the tenets of the fastlane to turn my wife's direct-service business into something that allows her to make money while she's not directly sitting in front of a client. It's something I never would have considered but was always right in front of me. And I'm working on my own path and I'm going to start a progress thread soon.

It's easy to want overnight success but after three decades of the script (in my case) I'm trying to do it right from the start.

Something that gets mentioned here often, and may apply to you, is that the market doesn't care about "you" but rather what you provide. Have a killer product or service and it doesn't matter if your resume shows a few years of school and a few non-connected jobs. And the internet has really equalized all of that.

So, are your ideas a complete departure from your old life? Are you going to capitalize on something you've already done? Not that you would, but never share specifics out here in public - just keep it general.

-PM

C-Jay

Audeamus
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Aug 7, 2017
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Welcome!

Whoa...when you described where you grew up, I felt like I was reading my own documentary. The only differences being that my town was in Canada (not far from Maine actually), had 1000 people and my dad owned the mill...lol. I eventually left with dreams to travel after university and I'm getting there, slowly.

Great on you for making a change - a fresh mindset can work wonders. The hard part comes after that (trust me), when it's time to take real action. You've found a great community to keep you honest.

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Welcome Kenzie, do glad you enjoyed TMF. Unscripted is just as good, I think better, so check it out.

So now that you're in NC, what's the plan? And entrepreneurial ideas?
Hey MJ, what a pleasure to finally meet the man behind it all! Thank you for stopping by.
Now that I've moved here to NC, I've found a new sense of motivation and I'm ready to take it and put it to work. I know for certain that a great majority of my business (if not all) will be e-commerce. I've taken particular interest in subscription services. I'm someone who subscribes to a couple of different subscription services, for example Netflix. I justify that it's "only $9.99, right?". I can afford that! All of the sudden, I'm paying upwards of $100 a year! Anyways... take that and scale it, and you have a money machine. But alas, I'd like to dig deeper into the forum before I jump in all excited with no logic. I'm still working my way through the gold threads as well. I think there is a lot to be learned there.

I'm starting Unscripted today. I've heard far too many fantastic things about it to not!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
To your question on books - I highly recommend 'Unscripted ' (to MJ's reply). I was just blown away reading it. It's the 'complete work'. And you can tell how people feel because they're all here raving about it in their free time.

As to other reading materials - have you finish the GOLD threads? I wouldn't buy a single book until I'd read most of those. There is an unbelievable amount of information packed in there about people who've made it in everything from blogging (which people would tell you isn't about 'blogging' itself but using blogging as a medium) to eComm, to making a living writing for Kindle, consulting, clothing labels, etc.

I don't want to drag them here so I won't use the '@' but look for posts by AaronT, amp0193, ChickenHawk, Yoda, Vigilante, TeveTorbes, G_Alexander, Andy Black, Allen Crawley, and on and on.

This thread is amazing motivation: GOLD - Selling my Ecommerce Business

In my case, I'm using the tenets of the fastlane to turn my wife's direct-service business into something that allows her to make money while she's not directly sitting in front of a client. It's something I never would have considered but was always right in front of me. And I'm working on my own path and I'm going to start a progress thread soon.

It's easy to want overnight success but after three decades of the script (in my case) I'm trying to do it right from the start.

Something that gets mentioned here often, and may apply to you, is that the market doesn't care about "you" but rather what you provide. Have a killer product or service and it doesn't matter if your resume shows a few years of school and a few non-connected jobs. And the internet has really equalized all of that.

So, are your ideas a complete departure from your old life? Are you going to capitalize on something you've already done? Not that you would, but never share specifics out here in public - just keep it general.

-PM
So much great information in here. I'm currently working my way through the gold threads and will focus on those for now. I think it's important to get different perspectives and strategies. The more knowledge, the better. As for Unscripted , I'll be nose deep by this evening.

Congratulations on your progress Philip, I'll be on the lookout for your progress thread! Sometimes our best opportunities are the ones that have always been in front of us. The irony, right? I can also relate to your comment about wanting overnight success. I found that it's very easy to get excited after reading MJ's books and wanting to leap right in. However, whats a few years compared to the rest of your life? I keep this in mind whenever I try to jump too quick.
Fortunately, I've had an easy time separating my personal needs and interests from my business ideas. I've focused on filling market needs, rather than just personal.
Much appreciated. It appears that I have a lot of studying to do!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
What part of Maine? Been going to Sugarloaf for over 25 years...
Sugarloaf huh? Have you ever been to Sunday River? Second biggest ski resort in the state, but I lived about 15 minutes away from it. I grew up on a pair of skis!

Kenzie

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Welcome!

Whoa...when you described where you grew up, I felt like I was reading my own documentary. The only differences being that my town was in Canada (not far from Maine actually), had 1000 people and my dad owned the mill...lol. I eventually left with dreams to travel after university and I'm getting there, slowly.

Great on you for making a change - a fresh mindset can work wonders. The hard part comes after that (trust me), when it's time to take real action. You've found a great community to keep you honest.

Hey C-Jay! I'm glad you could relate. If there's anything I don't miss, its the cold weather and the utter lack of things to do. I work a pm job and I have promised myself that if I don't put myself to work in the am working on my business, I have to find a job. Which, believe me... I don't want to do. So that has proven to be a great motivator!

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Welcome to NC! I'm on the coast, Knotts Island. I'm with you on Maine, I don't want anything colder than here either. Looking forward to watching your adventure!

Raleighwood

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Mar 11, 2013
Raleigh

Hey Kenzie, welcome to Raleigh!
I'm a entrepreneur and business owner here.

Have you launched anything yet?

If you're looking for some experience or a mentor, I'll be adding a couple of interns to my team over the next month or two.

Just holler if you want to learn more or connect.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...