The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

From Maine to North Carolina.... to what now?

Kenzie

Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 9, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Hello everyone,
My name is Kenzie and I have been a lurker here on the forum for approximately 2 weeks now. Since I have finally finished reading The Millionaire Fastlane , (as of 30 minutes ago) I figured now was a good time for a proper introduction. Like many before me, MJ has opened my mind for the better. While I have never been particularly fond of climbing the corporate ladder or working until the day of my death... I constantly struggle with how I might remove myself from having to choose either of those options. The Millionaire Fastlane proved to me that there's still hope! I grew up in a small secluded mill town in Maine with a population no larger than 6,000. After graduating from my extremely mediocre high school with a whopping graduating class of 88, I left for college. I had dreamt of that very moment for a decade. It was my way out of the small depressed mill town where nothing happens and away from parents who were constantly bickering about finances. I promised myself that college would be my one way ticket to freedom! Boy, was I wrong. It took me no more than a semester to realize that something was very, very wrong with my dream. It crushed me. It became clear to me with every single day that passed, that I was falling further and further into debt. Worse yet, I wasn't even sure about what I was going to school for, and managed to change my major twice to no avail! It felt like I was given a list of prison sentences to choose from... Doctor, lawyer, veterinarian.... dentist. Yet the outcome always felt the same. Unremarkable, uninspired, and forgettable. How could I spend this one life I was given working like an animal in cage, only to be released when I'm too old to enjoy it?! So I dropped out. I felt like a complete and utter failure. I became depressed for years looking for an answer, any answer. I turned to modeling as a way to generate a temporary income and pursue a passion. I became relatively successful and signed with agencies across the globe... It was exhilarating! It opened my eyes to what ultimately became the love of my life. Travel. I promised myself I would travel to every country before I die, for the sake of dying knowing that I left no stone unturned. But... Modeling turned out to be nothing more than glittery sparkling pile of shit for me. It looked glamorous and desirable from the outside but ultimately when I dug in, it turned out to be nothing more than hot, stinky vanity. Jobs were near impossible to get, agents were harsh, the markets saturated... and lastly, it had a time limit. By 22, I was getting old for the industry and I finally came back to reality. Is this really what I wanted? A job that is mostly mindless, degrading, and quite honestly... not that profitable? How would I ever travel the world? I up and quit and moved to North Carolina. I needed the sunshine and short winters. I needed a place for opportunity, to grow, and discover myself. I discovered self help books. I discovered MJ DeMarco. I discovered what I could be! I'm only at the very beginning of my journey. But I have found renewed passion that I had lost back in college. I want to surround myself with likeminded people and discover the possibilities that the Fastlane has to offer. And for that, I have MJ to thank!

I look forward to getting to know everyone and their stories.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

fubar

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Dec 1, 2016
Tempe, Arizona
I visited Raleigh last year, pretty city!

Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone but understand that opportunity is dependent upon your mindset followed by the actions you take, not your location. So take that momentum from the move and instead of discovering yourself, create yourself; establish your goals, educate yourself on the many avenues provided here to achieve that freedom you seek and take action!

Welcome to the forum and best of luck on your endeavours.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Welcome! That was quite the introduction. I grew-up in Maine and have spent plenty of time in 'the county' (not sure if that's exactly where you're from) so I can sympathize with your desire to leave. Ironically I long to get back to Maine, but no need to get into that here.

You've definitely got the key points down regarding TMF , but I typically warn people not to view them as absolute. For example, my college experience and subsequent 9-5 were central to my Fastlane goals today. And frankly, I love my current 'slowlane' job. The difference is that I see it for what it is - a fragile existence dependent on someone else. That doesn't make me depressed, but motivated!

I also don't think of myself as an animal in a cage even though I'm part of the daily commute and work in an office with beige walls - it's just temporary so I embrace it. All of this is to say that you shouldn't totally write-off higher education (college, technical college, etc.) or a job so long as you acknowledge that it might be a necessary part of your growth.

It can be really easy to read TMF and then pretend you're Neo, cruising down the street for the first time with Morpheus, looking at all the people who are still "plugged in". But that's too extreme. Take your time. If you've lived the "script" for 20+ years, you don't need to pull the ejector handle this very instant. Take your time and when you're ready - that's when you make the jump (but don't take forever).

That said, if you're ready to jump in with a brilliant idea, well that's the beauty of TMF. For years people didn't think there was another way and now they know better. You've found a tribe right here of those very people. I'm just saying - don't dwell too much on your college debt or your 9-5 existence - so long as you've got a plan to fix it.

So - what's your plan? If you've been lurking it sounds like you've read all the GOLD threads?

Best of luck from a former Mainer!

-PM

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...