The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Books that Changed Your Life

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
You’re no doubt on this forum because @MJ ‘s books had an impact on you, but what other books have you read that completely changed your outlook on life and/or business?

For me, one book stands head and shoulders above the others for changing how I saw the world: Mindset by Prof Carol Dweck

Reading this book was like opening anew door to life. I realised I’d spent my life with a Fixed Mindset and having thought I’d reached my limits, had settled down with what I had. Reading this book made me realised how dangerous and limiting that mindset could be on my chances for living a life I truly wanted.

Since reading this book, I’ve focused on developing a Growth mindset. I’ve read massively and constantly looked for new opportunities to expand myself and pushed myself toward achieving goals I’d previously thought were impossible. There’s no doubt, I wouldn’t have read The Millionaire’s Fastlane and found this forum had it not been for this book.

Another book that also had an impact on me as a father with a young family is The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Reading a book written by someone extolling the virtues of living life to the fullest whilst knowing they’re dying and their time is limited was especially powerful. Add into the mix he had a young family that he wasn’t going to see grow up and this book was effectively a message to them, makes this very thought provoking.

This book could also be used as a great warning message against taking the Slowlane in life. It shows that you can’t assume you’ll live to retirement and that the real value in life is time now and not money in the future.

So what have you read that impacted you? They can be anything from fiction, non-fiction, business, psychology, etc. Whatever book you feel has had the greatest impact on you and what you?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
So what have you read that impacted you? They can be anything from fiction, non-fiction, business, psychology, etc. Whatever book you feel has had the greatest impact on you and what you?

talking about mindset

something interests me a lot

the pareto principle says that 80 % of guys here won't achieve great success like MJ Deamrco

because this is statistic and life is not fair. this is reality away from fastlane hype

this is common sense . this is fact, not my opinion.

so what will be the behaviour of these guys ?

will they accept that life is unfair without doing anything to take revenge ?

will they try like rats in cage to escape for ever without succes until they die ?

this is very interesting to me .

by the way, books that changed my life are french books ( not translated in english ) so you won't be interested in them

here is one :

https://www.amazon.fr/Sixième-clef-vibratoire-Frank-Hatem/dp/2892392993

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
You’re no doubt on this forum because @MJ ‘s books had an impact on you, but what other books have you read that completely changed your outlook on life and/or business?

For me, one book stands head and shoulders above the others for changing how I saw the world: Mindset by Prof Carol Dweck

Reading this book was like opening anew door to life. I realised I’d spent my life with a Fixed Mindset and having thought I’d reached my limits, had settled down with what I had. Reading this book made me realised how dangerous and limiting that mindset could be on my chances for living a life I truly wanted.

Since reading this book, I’ve focused on developing a Growth mindset. I’ve read massively and constantly looked for new opportunities to expand myself and pushed myself toward achieving goals I’d previously thought were impossible. There’s no doubt, I wouldn’t have read The Millionaire’s Fastlane and found this forum had it not been for this book.

Another book that also had an impact on me as a father with a young family is The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Reading a book written by someone extolling the virtues of living life to the fullest whilst knowing they’re dying and their time is limited was especially powerful. Add into the mix he had a young family that he wasn’t going to see grow up and this book was effectively a message to them, makes this very thought provoking.

This book could also be used as a great warning message against taking the Slowlane in life. It shows that you can’t assume you’ll live to retirement and that the real value in life is time now and not money in the future.

Mindset definitely changed my life too!! So did the Millionaire Fastlane .

Another book that changed my life is one about Stoicism called A Guide to the Good Life.

I suspect that Nassim Talebs books is changing my life too. I can't quite figure out how but I find myself thinking about his stuff very often.

Currently reading, rereading and listening to Healing Back Pain by John Sarno. If what he says is correct this could very well be another life changing book for me. We'll know in a couple of weeks. It shouldn't work, but so far it's F*cking amazing what just reading that book has done for my back pain.

LPPC

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Mar 6, 2016
Mindset definitely changed my life too!! So did the Millionaire Fastlane .

Another book that changed my life is one about Stoicism called A Guide to the Good Life.

I suspect that Nassim Talebs books is changing my life too. I can't quite figure out how but I find myself thinking about his stuff very often.

Currently reading, rereading and listening to Healing Back Pain by John Sarno. If what he says is correct this could very well be another life changing book for me. We'll know in a couple of weeks. It shouldn't work, but so far it's F*cking amazing what just reading that book has done for my back pain.

I used to have chronic shoulder pain every single day. After reading Mindbody prescription by Dr. Sarno, the pain is almost completely gone. I maybe feel it once every 2 months. I think that book was the key to getting rid of my pain.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
talking about mindset

something interests me a lot

the pareto principle says that 80 % of guys here won't achieve great success like MJ Deamrco

because this is statistic and life is not fair. this is reality away from fastlane hype

this is common sense . this is fact, not my opinion.

so what will be the behaviour of these guys ?

will they accept that life is unfair without doing anything to take revenge ?

will they try like rats in cage to escape for ever without succes until they die ?

this is very interesting to me .

by the way, books that changed my life are french books ( not translated in english ) so you won't be interested in them

here is one :

https://www.amazon.fr/Sixième-clef-vibratoire-Frank-Hatem/dp/2892392993

The beauty of life: humans can work to change probabilities.

But you have a bit of an anchoring bias here: MJ Marco showed the path. It doesn't mean he should be the reference. If you change the reference to say "amassing a $1 Billion before your 45 y.o mark", the 80/20 rule give a totally different picture.

The book that changed my life: "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius(Hays translation). Stumbled upon it when I was in a very dark place a few years ago. And to these days, I learn from it. "Letters from a Stoic" by Seneca is a close 2nd.

TheodoreA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Oct 16, 2017
Guildford, UK
"Awaken the Giant Within" by Tony Robbins really put my life into perspective and allowed me to figure out how to take more control over my life and my emotions.

"The One Thing" (Can't remember the author) helped me prioritize my tasks for the day and work on the single most important thing.

Laughingman21

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Sep 7, 2015
"The One Thing" (Can't remember the author) helped me prioritize my tasks for the day and work on the single most important thing.

The One Thing is a great book that I really enjoyed, but try as I might, I'm terrible at focusing on a single task.

Maybe I need to go back and revisit that book...

BD64

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Jul 26, 2017
Denver, CO
The 48 Laws of Power and The 33 Strategies of War

I haven't read 48 laws yet but its on my list. I'm currently reading another book by Greene called the 50th law of power. Really good so far. It's based on 50 Cent's approach to fearlessness that he had to foster growing up in the hood in Queens, NY while he was hustling and trying to make it out of streets.

beatgoezon

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Aug 31, 2013
These books don't really have to do with business, but to me they were life changing in the literal sense:

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl.

Helped me deal with PTSD in a healthy way and pulled me out a dark place a few years ago. Shortly after reading it, the nightmares stopped and for once I could finally control my rage. I stopped considering the world an evil and unsafe place to live... I think anyone with PTSD should give this book a through read; there are countless examples of people who directly link this book to helping them see the beauty in human life.

Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

Helped me patch up my perception and helped create new beliefs about life, human psychology, Stoic philosophy, and science. It helped me to become proactive about my beliefs and helped me put away my past demons in a healthy way.

Tina70k

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 13, 2017
London, UK
OMG, there are so many great books out there that I've read over the past few years since I started on this "journey".
For me, the ones that really stood out and were life changing are:
  • of course "The Millionaire Fastlane " - which I can not recommend this enough to my peers #mindblown
  • "The Slight Edge" by Jeff Olson - which is all about mastering simple daily habits to see success in the long term; it helps with mindset when things don't seem to be going your way, or fast enough
  • "Property Magic" by Simon Zutshi - anyone serious about UK property investing knows about this guy. He would be deemed a guru but he does make good content so I have to pass credit where credit's due
  • And lastly, I may have some people disagree with me but I've got to put "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" on the list. I first read that book back in 2011 and only made it 1/4 way through (I clocked out when it started to show graphs and I thought it was turning into an accountancy book). I clearly wasn't ready to change my outlook on life then. Came back to it again in 2014 after a few more years of 8-8 office politics crap and living out of suitcase with my consultancy job, and boy was I ready to make changes to my life then. That book paved the way to more personal and financial development and started the entrepreneurial spirit in me.

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I used to have chronic shoulder pain every single day. After reading Mindbody prescription by Dr. Sarno, the pain is almost completely gone. I maybe feel it once every 2 months. I think that book was the key to getting rid of my pain.

So weird I would come across this... I have been working long hours at my desk and my shoulder/back pain is INSANE, causing headaches etc, to the point where it is mentally debilitating. Has helped losing weight and doing strength exercises, but I definitely love these kind of books because I feel like stress causes a large amount of it.

PL Productions

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 9, 2017
Miami, FL
"Awaken the Giant Within" by Tony Robbins really put my life into perspective and allowed me to figure out how to take more control over my life and my emotions.

These two books are great. Gary Keller is the author of "The One Thing".

Other great titles are "Think and Grow Rick" by Napoleon Hill, and "The Magic of Thinking Big" by David Schwartz.

Last edited:

PL Productions

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 9, 2017
Miami, FL
Another great book is "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie. This book was written during the 30s but it still extremely relevant today. Is all about simple techniques to improve personal and business relationships.

Sheps

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Oct 10, 2015
UK
MJ's obviously.

Influence and Pre-suasion by Robert Cialdini are great. Changed my view on interpersonal relationships and got me looking at how I was being mentally moulded every day without even knowing it.

The Book of Five Rings by Miyamoto Musashi. Specifically the Void chapter where he talks about bewilderment. That has saved me a lot of pain and embarrassment catching it early.

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
Slowing Down to the Speed of Life by Richard Carlson and Joseph Bailey.
This Book really Help in life, try to take a time to read.

Jurica22

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2017
Croatia
Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.

Now hear me out. I know the book is a feel-good, positive thinking mental masturbation. Nonetheless, it introduced me to an alternate way of life and ultimately to entrepreneurship.

I was 16 at the time of reading the book.Until then, I had plans to get a job (like my parents), work my whole life and retire.

The book opened up a world of oppurtunities for me and ultimately led me to TMFL and Unscripted because of my fascination with entrepreneurship.

I thank it for that, and I thank Mr. Napoleon Hill as well. (but it still sucks)

briteusa

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Oct 18, 2017
North Carolina
Comrades,

I know this is a business interactive forum, but the best book that has changed my life is the Bible. Reading the words of Jesus has humbled me, show respect to people and pay attention to life itself. Through its tenets, I was attracted to MJs Unscripted and Fastlane.

Paul Weese

Life is about living
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 19, 2014
Steamboat Springs, CO
There are a bunch of books that have helped me along. My most recent favorites are You Are A Badass and Ninja Selling. (Both have made my income grow exponentially this year.) The one that changed my life the most? Probably Cadillac Desert.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
Plenty of good business books mentioned already.
Rich Dad, Poor Dad
4 Hour Workweek
Millionaire Fastlane

All were fundamental to understanding important, big concepts. Also, No BS Guide to Maximum Profit by Dan Kennedy was very, very important to breaking my naivety.

To add a non-business book, No More Mr Nice Guy. If you are a man raised by a single mother this is a MUST READ.

PL Productions

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 9, 2017
Miami, FL
Wow, I am building a nice list of books to read with all these recommendations, thanks guys. This is a marketing book but is great, "Crossing The Chasm" by Geoffrey Moore.

Blaise84

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jul 8, 2017
Northeast Ohio

I dealt with chronic depression from the age of 19 to 27. I didn't know why I was depressed. Then, at the age of 24, I read a book called Wild at Heart: Discovering the Secret of a Man's Soul. This book shed light on why I was depressed, and started me on an absolutely life-changing inner healing journey. The book didn't provide ALL of the details I needed, what it did provide, however, was the exact direction I needed to be driving. It's like, I was traveling east on the highway at 90mph when I needed to be traveling west. So, even without all of the exact details, I was now traveling in the right direction, and figured out the more minor details as I continued traveling west. Had I continued driving east at 90mph? I would've driven straight of a pier into the the Atlantic Ocean.

In terms of an entrepreneurial book, definitely TMF and Unscripted .

MagicRhi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Oct 16, 2017
Sydney, Australia
MJ's books obviously. But, one other book that had a profound impact on my life was The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A F*ck by Mark Manson. I'm actually planning on re-reading it now that I'm trying to be in The Millionaire Fastlane mindset - and combining the teachings of both.

JDx

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
May 11, 2016
Amsterdam
I haven't read 48 laws yet but its on my list. I'm currently reading another book by Greene called the 50th law of power. Really good so far. It's based on 50 Cent's approach to fearlessness that he had to foster growing up in the hood in Queens, NY while he was hustling and trying to make it out of streets.
Thanks for mentioning this, I've seen it being mentioned in the past but never read it. After seeing you mention it I started it a day ago and it is really good. Will definitely check out 48 laws after this one.

How to win friends and influence people has been a big one for me, aswell as the definitive guide on bodylanguage

GastonEE

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Jun 16, 2017
Estonia
One of my favorite books is "The personal MBA: master the art of business" by Josh Kaufman. It helped me to make more money, get more done, and have more fun. It's not for business only, it's about life principles also.

daru

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Feb 11, 2017
Earth
Thanks for mentioning this, I've seen it being mentioned in the past but never read it. After seeing you mention it I started it a day ago and it is really good. Will definitely check out 48 laws after this one.

How to win friends and influence people has been a big one for me, aswell as the definitive guide on bodylanguage
There are lessons in 48 Laws of Power and The 50th Law for sure. It may be reality in some toxic environments (finance, Hollywood etc.) but it ain't pretty. I'd recommend to read Give and Take by Adam Grant to see the other side of the Power game too.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.