The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Florida Teachers Can What?

A post of a ranting nature...

You're IN a theater and a lunatic w/a pistol decides to shoot up the place. Where would u rather be?

• Dallas, Texas

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • Toronto, Canada

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted50669

I'm normally not a political person, but I'm sorry, I have to say something about this. This is probably the most poorly thought-out policy I've ever seen. I can't even believe this is real.

Florida teachers can arm themselves under new gun bill - Reuters

Think about the risks. A teacher leaves a gun unattended. A teacher is harassed and looses their temper. The list goes on and on. I don't see how this won't end horribly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The same argument applies to police officers or any other state enforcer that is mandated to carry a firearm. Many schools have police officers, and i don't often hear of their firearms being used for nefarious purposes. Very few teachers will actually exercise this right, so the odds of something going wrong are quite low. It's far more likely the students get in an auto accident on the way to school than they get injured with a firearm while at school.

I'm OK with bills like this because the facts are that a) the police have no duty to protect anyone (yes, this is a fact) b) even when they want to help, they are minutes away and c) the type of people to carry a gun every single day understand the gravity of that decision and take it very very seriously.

I'm curious, what's your personal background with firearms?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
"Shall not be infringed" every gun law is unconstitutional. Why shouldn't they have the same right to defend themselves that everyone else has?

in before the bUt muH MiLitIA crowd

D

Deleted50669

The same argument applies to police officers or any other state enforcer that is mandated to carry a firearm. Many schools have police officers, and i don't often hear of their firearms being used for nefarious purposes. Very few teachers will actually exercise this right, so the odds of something going wrong are quite low. It's far more likely the students get in an auto accident on the way to school than they get injured with a firearm while at school.

I'm OK with bills like this because the facts are that a) the police have no duty to protect anyone (yes, this is a fact) b) even when they want to help, they are minutes away and c) the type of people to carry a gun every single day understand the gravity of that decision and take it very very seriously.

I admittedly have almost no background with firearms. I just look at the profile of your average high school teacher and see psychological risk.

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Not really a militia guy. But having grown up with firearms and live in Az where you can hunt and shoot year round, I'm a strong believer in freedom. I carry almost every day, not in the office though. My point is that they should have every right to defend their life and take responsibility for protecting the young they are entrusted with with every possible tool they have available. I would have no issue to my kids teacher carrying.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I admittedly have almost no background with firearms. I just look at the profile of your average high school teacher and see psychological risk.

Ok, that's quite understandable. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a little leery of trusting other people with guns, but we have to apply that standard fairly. It stands to reason that police and law enforcement are drawn from the same population as teachers. We would therefore expect similar characteristics between them, and so we can look at what happens with police and see if accidents are a huge problem.

They're generally not, and so I wouldn't expect accidents to be a problem among teachers.

Now, many people believe that police are magically qualified to carry guns. The reality is that after qualifying with their firearm at the academy, most departments never test their officers again. The idea of the highly trained police officer is largely a myth, at least to the extent that it is required for the job.

If you've never really been exposed to guns, fear is a natural response. I wasn't around them much early in life and the first time I saw someone open carrying a gun, I experienced fear. After thinking about it critically, I realized that cops are just people, and just because someone isn't wearing a costume doesn't mean they are a danger if they have a gun.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
Not really a militia guy. But having grown up with firearms and live in Az where you can hunt and shoot year round, I'm a strong believer in freedom. I carry almost every day, not in the office though. My point is that they should have every right to defend their life and take responsibility for protecting the young they are entrusted with with every possible tool they have available. I would have no issue to my kids teacher carrying.

My point was that anti gunners typically point out the "well regulated militia" portion of the 2A, while ignoring the "shall not be infringed" portion.

I live in PHX and I carry every time I leave the house. I've seen homeless people carrying swords, no joke... so I figured if we got homeless ninjas running around, I better have something with a little more range.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Dead on.

@404profound Would you rather teachers have zero ability to defend your children?

Gun safety is paramount. No one I know, that carries a gun, and I know a lot of them, are flippant about doing so.

Concealed carriers are responsible for almost no crime statistically speaking. No. Hotheads do not go on shooting sprees. No. There isnt blood in the streets. No. Guns aren't accidentally going off.

I have carried a handgun daily for nearly 10 years.

Criminals, by definition, break the law... So atempting to control criminals with laws is utter nonsense.

images (1).jpeg

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
My point was that anti gunners typically point out the "well regulated militia" portion of the 2A, while ignoring the "shall not be infringed" portion.

I live in PHX and I carry every time I leave the house. I've seen homeless people carrying swords, no joke... so I figured if we got homeless ninjas running around, I better have something with a little more range.
I've seen some crazy things here in Scottsdale and Phoenix. It's my responsibility to keep my family safe so I treat that responsibility with the same respect. I carry when I leave the house. In Kansas I carried too but we had wildlife bigger than a rattlesnake.

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
I'm normally not a political person, but I'm sorry, I have to say something about this. This is probably the most poorly thought-out policy I've ever seen. I can't even believe this is real.

Think about the risks. A teacher leaves a gun unattended. A teacher is harassed and looses their temper. The list goes on and on. I don't see how this won't end horribly.
You're not the only one baffled by this. As a former teacher, I can tell you that educators are some of the most stressed out individuals ever, and in a moment of stress I would not want them to be reactive and grab a gun. Yes, many people can be responsible, but when you are chronically tired, bad decisions get made. And I doubt that local districts will be willing to pay for safes or areas where guns can be put away safely.

I'd rather instead of guns within the room for teachers, we focus on funding early intervention and train teachers on how to actually determine at risk kids and get them out of the classroom if need be. Right now we just let kids stay enrolled and reward violent behavior as opposed to making it clear that if they want to be in school they need to get treatment for the behavior.

Last edited:

xmartel

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jul 22, 2008
Canada, eh!
Now, many people believe that police are magically qualified to carry guns. The reality is that after qualifying with their firearm at the academy, most departments never test their officers again. The idea of the highly trained police officer is largely a myth, at least to the extent that it is required for the job.

This is very true. Most people would be shocked to learn that the average gun enthusiast is a far better and more accurate shot than the average cop.

I support what Florida is doing here.

Here in Canada, we can't carry at all (other than some exceptions for trap lines and armored car guard).
I find it disgusting, and a breach of my rights as a human, that my government has decreed that I (nor any of my fellow countrymen and women) am not trust worthy enough to protect my life. My right to exist.

Just like in the U.S., our cops don't have a duty to protect either.

So who's duty is it to protect you? It's your own.

So then how do you protect yourself? With the best tool available and proper training. A gun.

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
It's far more likely the students get in an auto accident on the way to school than they get injured with a firearm while at school.

Absolutely but “high school student dies in car crash” won’t get people riled up and screaming for cars to be banned during the evening news.

We all know (well, most of us) that it’s a confirmation bias for our government and those who just want to yell and be angry about something. That’s why we get pummeled with “school shootings are on the rise” every time there is one. Well, that may be true, conveniently left out is that the number of students is growing exponentially so as a percentage there has been a decline since the 90’s and students are safer than ever.

Criminals, by definition, break the law... So atempting to control criminals with laws is utter nonsense.

You mean we can’t tell these A-holes to just play nice and smother them with affection?

I would be ecstatic if as my children got older their teachers were basically qualified and carried a weapon. Sadly I’m in the wrong part of AZ for that to likely ever happen. At least they’ll be armed with their words :smuggy:

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
"Shall not be infringed"
I always thought this was weird when people post "SHALL not infringe!" like that's the end of the argument.

The constitution also protects your right to vote, but that right can be revoked perfectly legally. Are all voting laws unconstitutional?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast

I am a Florida resident with a child in Florida schools, and i think this is FABULOUS.

Shooters are cowards. When they know that the first person they start shooting at shoots back, they'll go find another movie theater or somewhere else to play their cowardly act. Gun free zones are a joke. Soft targets are why assholes pick elementary schools.

I will accept the risks as above. Hell, I will BUY MY KIDS TEACHER A GUN if she wants one and agrees to get licensed for it.

Conceal carry permit holders, en masse, are responsible. Not only that, they have a constitutional right to carry it anyway.

I am 100% for it. Waiting for the first news story of some jackass getting their head blown off by a kindergarten teacher, and the whole bunch of copycat cowards will find somewhere else, and my kid will come home safely.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I always thought this was weird when people post "SHALL not infringe!" like that's the end of the argument.

The constitution also protects your right to vote, but that right can be revoked perfectly legally. Are all voting laws unconstitutional?

The right to defend your person and property is fundamental; a natural right. We have had this right since before the advent of modern government

The "right" to choose your rulers is less fundamental and only a consequence of the modern system of governance.

Off topic, but relevant to your query, I don't believe everybody should have the right to vote. If you're not a net tax payer and can pass a basic written test about the candidates and their positions, your vote shouldn't count.

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
The "right" to choose your rulers is less fundamental and only a consequence of the modern system of governance.
Isn't it? Choosing your leader seems pretty primal. Even cavemen had to individually select/deselect themselves as the alpha of the group.

But all that said, I'm a proud gun owner myself, and--regardless of what you think about the Florida law (I'm actually in favor of it)--the thought that all gun laws are unconstitutional is absurd. I'm glad I had to take a certification course to get my CCW permit, for example. That's a sane law.

ideasunlimited1

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Mar 21, 2019
Houston
Isn't it? Choosing your leader seems pretty primal. Even cavemen had to individually select/deselect themselves as the alpha of the group.

But all that said, I'm a proud gun owner myself, and--regardless of what you think about the Florida law (I'm actually in favor of it)--the thought that all gun laws are unconstitutional is absurd. I'm glad I had to take a certification course to get my CCW permit, for example. That's a sane law.

I can agree with this. I'm a fan of hunting, and grew up in MN-a pretty gun friendly state. But I agree that just like driving, there needs to be some certification or training to show that you can understand safe and responsible gun behavior. Guns are designed to kill, whether it be animals (and hopefully not) humans. The right to take away life is a very serious thing...it is a right, but that doesn't mean it has to be used.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

Actually there is a comma there. The founding fathers had good grammar. Most people ignore it.

I'll translate...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In 2019 speak it literally translates to this:

BECAUSE we pretty much have to have a military to protect our sovereignty, we are going to protect the rights of the PEOPLE to also be armed.

The founding fathers really hated tyranny. They begrudgingly set up a military.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Whether or not this law passed, a teacher could still carry a gun into a school if they wanted and do bad things.

Just the same as a criminal could.

Why do the gun haters only have a concern when a new gun rights law is passed? The risk was the same before.

I own guns. I carry. I do it even in places that say I can't. No one else is going to dictate me or my family's safety.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Actually there is a comma there. The founding fathers had good grammar. Most people ignore it.

I'll translate...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

In 2019 speak it literally translates to this:

BECAUSE we pretty much have to have a military to protect our sovereignty, we are going to protect the rights of the PEOPLE to also be armed.

The founding fathers really hated tyranny. They begrudgingly set up a military.
I think where people get confused with the bill of rights is because a lot of it is written aphoristically. It's making general declarations of what is recognized to be true, rather than enumerating and therefore granting rights. In other words, the bill of rights doesn't give you any rights, it simply recognizes that you already have those rights. It's a very important distinction. It was a actually a pretty intense matter of debate about whether there should even be a bill of rights. There was concern that including a bill of rights would give people the false impression that the government was giving citizens those rights. If government gives something it can take it away. This is where I plug the Federalist Papers. Basically, if you are an American who votes, and are literate, you have, in my opinion, a civic responsibility to have read them.

Every other time in the phrase "the people" is used in the text, it means all citizens. If we interpret it to means something else in this clause, it opens it up for interpretation everywhere else.

Also, the militia "being necessary to the security of a free state". What does it say? What does it not say?
It's not referring to the national defense, there's an entire other portion of the document for that. It also doesn't say defense, it says "security". So, security of what?

Security of the state? No, it doesn't say "the state", it says "a free state". So now, what is the militia for? It ensures the state remains free. And who is the militia? In the parlance of the time the militia was every able bodied adult male in good community standing. Basically if you're an adult with all your limbs and no felonies, congrats, you're in the militia.

I'm thinking of getting a musket and one of those three pointed hats. If anybody else is down we can go form a militia, maybe have a monthly militia barbecue or something. :rofl:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I just look at the profile of your average high school teacher and see psychological risk.

Some might trust a random teacher with a firearm MORE than they would a police officer. A certain "personality" tends to go into law enforcement more so than a teacher.

I see nothing wrong with it, provide there's some rules (lock boxed), training, etc involved.

After reading the responses from folks I definitely have a different perspective now. I suppose the risk of not doing it outweighs the risk of doing it.

Impressive that you are looking at both angles, most people would further entrench their belief when presented with other opinions, a.k.a. as the cognitive bias, the backfire effect.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
At least this bill requires teachers to undergo 144 hours of training to be certified. They're not exactly just handing out guns to any teacher who wants one. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I could see it going both ways.

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
I highly recommend you take a gun safety class whether or not you're interested in getting a gun.

In Illinois, they require a 16 hour course to conceal carry. If you take one of those classes, you'll have a better idea of whose carrying guns and why they're carrying.

They're all individuals with:
  • No criminal record
  • No recorded history of mental illness.
  • People that want to protect themselves or their families.
Criminals don't go to conceal carry classes. They already have guns. It's just normal people that want to even the odds.

The Florida law is evening the playing field. That's all it's doing. School shooters today can waltz into any school and shoot at will. With this law, chances are that they'll be put down right away. A good recent example of this is the synagogue in California. A guy walked in, killed one individual, and then was instantly put down (note: the media doesn't report the majority of pro-gun carrying stories).

At least this bill requires teachers to undergo 144 hours of training to be certified. They're not exactly just handing out guns to any teacher who wants one. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I could see it going both ways.

With 144 hours of training, you bet your a$$ that the one's qualified to carry will have guns on them. That's 3.6 work weeks that someone is sacrificing so that they can protect the school.

D

Deleted50669

Some might trust a random teacher with a firearm MORE than they would a police officer. A certain "personality" tends to go into law enforcement more so than a teacher.

I see nothing wrong with it, provide there's some rules (lock boxed), training, etc involved.

Impressive that you are looking at both angles, most people would further entrench their belief when presented with other opinions, a.k.a. as the cognitive bias, the backfire effect.
A month ago I may not have, but after doing user testing on my app I've been humbled haha!

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
With 144 hours of training, you bet your a$$ that the one's qualified to carry will have guns on them. That's 3.6 work weeks that someone is sacrificing so that they can protect the school.
With teacher's unions, you can bet that they're being paid for that training. For some it might just be a good vacation away from the students!

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
I am a Florida resident with a child in Florida schools, and i think this is FABULOUS.

Shooters are cowards. When they know that the first person they start shooting at shoots back, they'll go find another movie theater or somewhere else to play their cowardly act. Gun free zones are a joke. Soft targets are why assholes pick elementary schools.

I will accept the risks as above. Hell, I will BUY MY KIDS TEACHER A GUN if she wants one and agrees to get licensed for it.

Conceal carry permit holders, en masse, are responsible. Not only that, they have a constitutional right to carry it anyway.

I am 100% for it. Waiting for the first news story of some jackass getting their head blown off by a kindergarten teacher, and the whole bunch of copycat cowards will find somewhere else, and my kid will come home safely.
Sad that my own country doesn't have these kind of means to enable everyone to protect themselves.

We've got stupid goons who prowl the streets looking to nab or stab someone.
Surely a few revolver shots should send them begging on their knees...

Normally, the citizens won't touch guns, but I think mindsets are changing, as they find that the cops can't always come in time...

An uncle of mine was so worried about the criminal fallout a recession would bring that he bought a paintball online, and loaded it with LEAD SHOTS and MARBLES.

Probably would work if he hit headshots...:p

If anybody else is down we can go form a militia, maybe have a monthly militia barbecue or something.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdmPIpQZPRg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads