The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Finding motivation when you have a 9-5

businessbaybee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Jul 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Hey everyone, I just joined this forum yesterday.

Anyway, I am having major motivation issues. I work a 9-5 and when I should be working (like right now), I am constantly thinking about my business and what I can do to improve. The thing is when I get home, I literally have no energy left, so I don't work on my business then either. Basically, I can't concentrate at work or at home. Does anyone else deal with this, any tips?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA

Anyway, I am having major motivation issues. I work a 9-5 and when I should be working (like right now), I am constantly thinking about my business and what I can do to improve. The thing is when I get home, I literally have no energy left, so I don't work on my business then either. Basically, I can't concentrate at work or at home. Does anyone else deal with this, any tips?

Hey, welcome to the forum.

I can totally relate. I used to feel like my employer owned my time. I used to feel like if only I had more time, I would actually get my other businesses done. I felt trapped. And I felt used by my employer. I had a lot of bitterness and anger and I directed it at the only thing I knew - my employer.

In hindsight, this wasn't fair at all. Or accurate. Or helpful.

I got a job working my own hours, three days a week. Basically I ended up working about 6 hours a day 3 days a week. This new job utilized my unique skill set and knowledge, had tons of flexibility, paid more, and I had TONS of free time.

Guess what happened with all that free time? I was suffocated by it. I misused it like crazy. I felt even worse when I had all that time. I knew I should do something with it, but I had zero discipline. I spent so much time blaming my employer and my job that I never figured out the problem was all with myself.

Honestly, not trying to be mean, and don't think I'm talking down to you in any way. I was the same way. But your problem is 100% yourself. There is no reason that you can't work a 9-5 job and have time to work on your ideas or your business at home.

Some practical advice for you:

1. Pick one business idea. Just one.
2. Write out a general outline including your target market, general cost required to start, etc.
3. Break down everything into actionable items. What are the three things you could do THIS WEEK. Small steps - break it all into small steps.
4. Take one step every day. Don't let the big idea overwhelm you. Just focus on consistent action over time and develop this habit.

STOP WASTING YOUR TIME. If you're like I used to be, you come home from work and veg in front of Netflix with a drink in hand. Cut it out. You're watching your life literally slip past you. You're going to die one day. Live the life you were meant to live.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago

I believe a lot of people experience this, especially when you begin feeling like a square peg in a round hole at your job. I know I felt it when I was working my job, and one thing that sent me crazy was the fact that our technology was wayyyyy out-dated, so it frustrated me when I had to deal with customers, even after explaining it tirelessly to mgm't ('twas a govt job). However, I will admit that my job was my introduction to the world of adulthood and it helped me recognise that Customer Care is of huge meaning to me, since I aced it at my old job and now it's a major aspect of my biz.

I understand that part about being drained too, the routine is getting to you, you'd have to find ways to strengthen yourself mentally. Sometimes, the hunger to create a successful business is enough to help change our mindsets. Maybe you can look at the company you're working with and see what problems exist and see what solutions are possible to create and package in the form of a product/service and then you can look at the Fastlane aspects that will help bring it to life all while still at your job, so eventually the transition will be smooth, both financially and otherwise.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

I can relate.

When I was young (and identified as an entrepreneur) this is why I always took crappy jobs with a low mental energy involvement. I knew when I went home I wanted to be able to work on my business. At this point, your job demands (Energy/mental) might pay the bills, but it also has a destructive hidden price -- it sounds like it's killing your dream.

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
Sometimes, the hunger to create a successful business is enough to help change our mindsets. Maybe you can look at the company you're working with and see what problems exist and see what solutions are possible to create and package in the form of a product/service and then you can look at the Fastlane aspects that will help bring it to life all while still at your job, so eventually the transition will be smooth, both financially and otherwise.

I feel tired all the time because of long hours of commute and staring at a computer screen all day in my 9-6 job. So when I get home, usually the voice in my head telling me to sleep is the challenge I'm trying to overcome everyday.. But still, like you said the hunger to build a successful business and remembering the "WHYs" gives me the drive to work what I should needed to work.

Coalission

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jan 8, 2014
You have to learn how to make it into a habit, instead of waiting for when you're "motivated". We all do things out of habit even when we don't feel like it, when you wake up before work, even if you're hungover or groggy, you take a shower, you brush your teeth, etc.

Tomorrow when you come home from work, you walk through the door, you sit down, you read, plan, strategize, execute. That's it, that's your routine, that's what you always do when you get home from work. If it helps, do it while you mumble under your breath how work sucks and you don't feel like doing shit, but whine about it while you're doing it. Don't wait for the fleeting sense of motivation, that comes and goes.

Like Joe Rogan says, "if I only worked out when I felt like it, I'd be a fat a$$".

Lafandriel

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
May 28, 2017
Germany
You could also start by refilling your energy when you get home... maybe sleep for half an hour (don't forget to set the alarm), drink a cup of tea or read or something you feel relaxes you... but only for a maximum of half an hour then take a walk around the block and try to work on your business afterwards :smile:

DrkSide

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Mar 26, 2013

I went through this exact thing a few years ago when I was first starting my business and still had a full time job. It was difficult but you need to remember two things.

1. Work is paying you to be there. You need to fulfill the job you promised (and I assume that this is paying the bills at the moment)

2. Use your distaste for the 9-5 as motivation to work on your own business after (or before). I'm not sure of any motivation better than being forced to be at work.

If the juice is worth the squeeze you will find a way to get it done.

Kwikbitz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Jul 18, 2017
Greece
Hi businessbaybee

"I am constantly thinking about my business and what I can do to improve. The thing is when I get home, I literally have no energy left, so I don't work on my business then either. Basically, I can't concentrate at work or at home. Does anyone else deal with this, any tips?"

As you will probably guess (and I bet this thread will get longer) lots of people 'starting out' feel like that.

A 'Kwik tip' - As we all know a business is something that we all have to work at, we have aims and goals. Some are 'static' e.g. opening hours, others are 'flexible' I want to achieve this in ... 'months/days etc. When you are "thinking about your business and what you can do to improve" set a simple attainable daily goal AND a reward for achieving that goal.

Daily goals brief examples

'Post a thread or answer a thread' on www.thefastlaneforum.com - and then grab a reward - nice cool beer, a chocolate, a nice relaxing bath or something.

Or

Read a chapter of "The FASTLANE" or Unscripted - and then grab a reward - another nice cool beer, chocolate or something.

Or

Pick up the phone and talk to 1 (yep just one) Client, find out how they are doing, what's going on etc. and then grab a reward - another nice cool beer, chocolate or something.

One daily goal, one daily reward.

The last idea 1 client really pays dividends - Remember a guy called 'Lee Iacocca'? Was at one point the Chairman, President and CEO of Chrysler (mainly at different times) - anyhow sure it was him if not somebody else 'large' in the auto industry. Every day he would pick up the phone, or walk and meet then specifically talk to, have a coffee with a random member of staff - just shooting the breeze not work etc. Created great employee relationships as he got to understand 'everybody' in the company and broke many barriers between 'management' and 'workers' (sorry hate that type of divide).

Keep the 'biz faith' and achieve a goal a day do that and you not only get rewards but you will see real rewards

Last edited by a moderator:

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If you are able to structure it, I would highly recommend waking up VERY early, putting in your business efforts before the sun rises, then go to work and if you don't have the proper energy for work... well realistically you'll probably fit right in with everyone else.

If you wake up at 3:30, shit/shower/shave, start real business work at 4am and work until 8:30, that's 4.5 hours to get real things accomplished. Put in your daily grind at the office, come home and check on anything that needs addressing from the morning's activities (probably less than 30 minutes of follow-ups as needed), then go to bed at 8:30pm. That gives you 7 hours of sleep which is more than enough for most people. Hell I worked on 6 hours of sleep for years without issues - not enjoyable but certainly "doable" if needed.

Honestly, getting work done after a long day at the office (or wherever) is impossible for me. Truly, perfectly impossible. Call it a limiting belief but my brain was SHOT after 8 hours working for someone else. Zero gas left in the mental tank. Working early however puts your best energy towards your own project.

BrooklynHustle

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Apr 3, 2014
DMV
Get up 2-3 hours earlier to work on your business only. That way you have no other choice to grind AND there's nobody disturbing you.

Worked for me and many others on this forum. Good luck!
Yep, you've got to want it

Find a way around those mental excuses

FreeBy23

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 18, 2017
Maryland
I'm going to paraphrase from the 2 books this forum focuses a lot on. 1) If you're too tired to do anything about it, you don't want it enough. Or 2) You haven't REALLY said F*ck this and meant it. You can either save up a cushion and leave and do it full time or like @MJ DeMarco said, get something less mentally draining but paying worse and just do it until things start working. If you want it you'll make it, if you think you want it, you'll think about making it. But seriously, I know the feeling, you just have to keep pushing and good "luck"!

Greg R

Act, Assess, Adjust
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
465%
Oct 28, 2015
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
100% on you.

I also went through this. It wasn't easy. What help me most is daily action. No matter how small.

Once you make it a habit, motivation is not necessary.

At my day job, I work 50-60 hour weeks plus a 3 hour per day commute. I found that even still, there is still plenty enough time to get things done... when you focus.

When you focus you make progress and progress brings more motivation, and more progress brings even more progress. Snowball.

As others have already mentioned, you gotta do the things that matter. The activities that lead to sales. The ones that give you the 80/20. You gotta figure out and break down your core activities and do then daily.

Now I don't even have to think about working on the business. I wake up a 4AM to do it. Stay up late. Work weekends. And even during my commutes. Automatic.

To get there, you have to keep reinforcing the behavior.

cor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
May 8, 2016
The World
You have weekends. If you treat them like a full-time job, that's a good 16 hours per week to grow something on the side. I've done it with 5-10 hours per week. It's not hard, especially if it's an online business.

I would also recommend taking advantage of lunch breaks at work, it might give you another 30-60 minutes of maintenance on your business. If you're motivated enough, you'll make time. You need to be a bit more creative, my friend.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia

Instead of working at night, work in the morning. I used to get to work 2 hours earlier than anyone else. Depending on the type of job you have - this might or might not be possible. Going to work 2 hours earlier helped me:

1. Get up early
2. Forced me to work on the business because I was already at 'work'
3. Realized how much of a 'high' it was getting there before everyone else - it was like a early morning win... Just helped put me in the right mindset.
4. Gave me a legit 10 hours extra a week that I could work on my business uninterrupted and when I am at my most focused.
5. More time in the day

Even if you don't have a business or are trying to start one or just trying to better yourself - think of it this way. If you got to work just 1 hour earlier than everyone else and worked on yourself:

- At the end of 1 week - you would have 5 hours invested in yourself
- After 1 month - 20 hours of self investment
- After 1 Year - 240 hours of self investment
- At a 8 hour 'workday' you will have spent a full 30 days bettering yourself or getting your business started while everyone was still sleeping.

Tim Allen Jr.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jul 6, 2017
virginia
If you are able to structure it, I would highly recommend waking up VERY early, putting in your business efforts before the sun rises, then go to work and if you don't have the proper energy for work... well realistically you'll probably fit right in with everyone else.

If you wake up at 3:30, shit/shower/shave, start real business work at 4am and work until 8:30, that's 4.5 hours to get real things accomplished. Put in your daily grind at the office, come home and check on anything that needs addressing from the morning's activities (probably less than 30 minutes of follow-ups as needed), then go to bed at 8:30pm. That gives you 7 hours of sleep which is more than enough for most people. Hell I worked on 6 hours of sleep for years without issues - not enjoyable but certainly "doable" if needed.

Honestly, getting work done after a long day at the office (or wherever) is impossible for me. Truly, perfectly impossible. Call it a limiting belief but my brain was SHOT after 8 hours working for someone else. Zero gas left in the mental tank. Working early however puts your best energy towards your own project.

lol - just said exactly what you did but much much less eloquent. My bad for the similar post readers...

Maxboost

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Apr 4, 2016
You might want to try my method as I've been busy working and building a business/learning

After I work this is my routine:
1-Get home from work exhausted
2-20-40 min power nap
3-meditate 5-10 minutes (helps reset your brain!)
4-clean apartment for 10 minutes ( a clean workspace/home does wonders)
5-read 20 mins of a motivational book (MFL, compound effect, tony robbins)
6-ask yourself why your are doing this, remember your FTE
7-get to work!!!
8-Sleep
9-Repeat

I think the key to developing a powerful habit/routine is to build momentum! Start easy stuff then like dominoes the rest fall into place.

garyjsmith

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Jun 28, 2017
Northern VA
The tips others have posted are solid.

I've personally found the following to work for me:
- power naps (yes, please)
- a 20 min walk (steady state, not a run) with an business / development audio book
- water intake during the day
- 5pm and 9pm coffee or yerba mate (for when you really want to knock it out of the park)
- focus vitamins. My go-to's are one (1) 200mg caffeine tablet, one (1) Huperzine A, and two (2) ATTEND capsules
- paying attention to macro nutrition
---> if you need thinking ability, stick to fats and protein. Carbs/sugars will slow you down and make you want to lounge or sleep in addition to creating a fog.
- music instrumentals, on loop. The tempo provides a pattern for your brain to follow in making progress
---> that combined with isochronic tones

Weekends are also a big deal for me. Guard them; don't let others make plans for you. And set the expectation, not waiting until Friday night to tell a significant other that you're going to work Saturday afternoon.

businessbaybee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
303%
Jul 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Wasn't expecting so many replies!

Also there is a ton of really helpful tips, and it's also really reassuring to know that I am not alone in feeling this way. Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge, it is very appreciated! :cool:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Marked NOTABLE - a treasure trove of suggestions.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The main things I tell myself are - go back to the basics.

Prioritize sleep, eat well, hydrate, exercise. If my energy is low I'm ususally lacking somewhere with that.

I find that of all things, STRETCHING is the most effective way to accelerate recovery and give me enough energy to keep executing. In fact, if I stretch consistently I don't need to sleep as much.

There are four categories I try to focus on consistently popularized by Kevin Nations...

Fitness, Family, Finance, and Faith in myself.

I find that if any of those categories are imbalanced then I'm not as effective.

Fitness - I take time everyday to maintain health. Family – This is pretty much a given in Asian culture lol. Finance - building this business and PRIORITIZING marketing. Faith - working on my mindset and vision.

The reality is that you will likely need to find the tools that work for you to find an entirely new gear and do more.

I recommend the audiobook Relentless by Tim S. Grover. I have literally listened to it at least 70 times over the last 16 months. It puts me in a meditative state.

Also, with friends and family I now live by the phrase that "No" is the new "Yes".

If someone asks me "Do you want to go out to dinner with X couple" and it's a weekday. "No"

No is my new yes because when I say no to non-core activities to move the needle in my life and business I find I am saying Yes to more core activities.

I know that the only thing that moves the needle in my business are a few core activities around Marketing, Administration, and Product.

M-F I say no to everything else aside from business and 1 hour each night with fam. I'm ruthless about it. And, I'm completely content. :)

Also, I overcommunicate with everyone to keep them on board and supporting me with my mission. Elicit help from existing resources wherever you can.

Hope that helps.

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
100% on you.

I also went through this. It wasn't easy. What help me most is daily action. No matter how small.

Once you make it a habit, motivation is not necessary.

At my day job, I work 50-60 hour weeks plus a 3 hour per day commute. I found that even still, there is still plenty enough time to get things done... when you focus.

When you focus you make progress and progress brings more motivation, and more progress brings even more progress. Snowball.

As others have already mentioned, you gotta do the things that matter. The activities that lead to sales. The ones that give you the 80/20. You gotta figure out and break down your core activities and do then daily.

Now I don't even have to think about working on the business. I wake up a 4AM to do it. Stay up late. Work weekends. And even during my commutes. Automatic.

To get there, you have to keep reinforcing the behavior.

^This. Common effort gets common results. You need to get obsessed.

If I can recommend an additional breakdown of tasks:

Morning - I wake-up just after 4:30 every morning and do my CREATIVE work. I've got a cup of coffee with me and I'm basically like a coiled spring with a bunch of thoughts racing through my head. I'm extremely productive.

Evening - At the end of your morning routine, put down ONE THING (just one) that you intend to do that night and make it administrative or something like editing the post of that morning. Keep it manageable and you'll be able to grind through it.

Hope this helps!

juggler619

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
May 25, 2015
Abu Dhabi
I read bout this guy who has just about 45 mins for himself in a day and he has built a business. This changed my mindset when i had the same issue as you . Slowly but steadily im moving ahead towards a unscripted life.

Building a Startup in 45 Minutes per day While Deployed to Iraq

Ludachris

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Mar 17, 2017
Norcal
I know I can relate... I feel like it's much more difficult the older I've gotten. It seemed so much easier my first time building a business 16 years ago. Trying to do it all again and do it 100 times better than the first time, at age 41, on a single income, with a wife and two kids, can be downright daunting. I have a boss that drives me insane, co-workers who aren't driven, and when I get home I feel like my soul has been sucked out of me - every single day. And then I feel guilty for any time I choose to spend away from my family in the evenings and on the weekends trying to build a business (and maintain my old business). It's a constant struggle but you have to power through and continue to believe in yourself and the idea that you can break free from everything holding you back.

As others have said, putting your plan down on paper, breaking it into actionable steps you can work on daily, and holding yourself accountable to take those steps daily is the only way it will work. I know that the only time I feel like I'm failing at it is those days I don't take action.

Good luck in your journey.

Mr.Chaos

Wolves love Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
296%
Mar 16, 2016
Atlanta
What works for me is to utilize every minute not working your day job on PREPLANNED task for the week. I know on Sunday what I need to have complete during the week to move my business ahead. Even if tired after work I make it a habit to at least get ONE task done. I can't neglect sleep as well. And +1 to what icecreamkid said about the word no. I use it a lot now. Monday through Friday the answer is NO!!!!! I also utilize my hour lunch at my job to catch up on emails or get a task started for when I get home.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
You don't need motivation. You just need to get clear about your big WHY. You can't will your way to it. You want to why your way to it. You want to work on that mindset until it's super sharp it can hurt.

Why are you in business? What for? To help people? To chase money? To become free? To provide? To leave a legacy?

What is the purpose for your intent? Once you clarify that, nothing will stop you. Late nights, hunger, no energy, NOTHING.

I can totally relate to you because I tried doing this while running my computer gaming shop before. It's exactly the same.

You know what I found later on? I am DONE bsing with myself.

Once I clearly understood, not believed or analyzed--UNDERSTOOD that my time is LIMITED, it's a no-brainer.

Think of the huge advantage you have if you have time and utilize it to the max.

Bills, out of habit, social pressure... All of it was clawing at me to come back.

I just said NO MORE. Shoot me. I've said it before. But this time, it's not bravado. It was certainty.

Your strategy is up to you. You have your own situation. You can figure that out.

Once you find the little opening, that little chance, that little foothold to escape those things that are holding you back:

Hold with all your might. And never ever let go until you come out on the other side.

Sometimes we all need to be deep in a ditch. Because until you know what it's truly like, you're really just playing around at coming back up and out.

We learn things the best the hard way. So this could just totally fly over your head.

Grandmaster chess players have a saying that goes like this, "One who is not afraid to lose, has the initiative." Simply put : have no fear, do whatever sacrifice it takes to win.

Get serious.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!