• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

NOTABLE! Finding motivation when you have a 9-5

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by businessbaybee, Jul 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,706
    To be specific...good lean meats, not KFC fried sh*t.
    I have a recipe...chop up carrots, potatoes and onions. Boil them in water with some chicken...I use drumsticks because I want an all-in-one meal. Boil for an hour or more. Simple recipe, but it will fee you well.

And yes, coffee breaks can be your best bet to riches lol.

businessbaybee and Magneto C like this.
  2. KaaiFX

KaaiFX New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $67
    I've had this problem for 15+ Years at my past job. I know what it's like to be sitting at your desk grinding away, constantly thinking about the Business you want to start. I too have wondered, how do I get out of this? All my responsibilities are holding me back from leaving and jumping right into it. It took me years to save enough money to actually leave my job and do what I've so longed to create. But honestly, it's not your job, collegues, or boss that's holding you back. It's you...

I just sucked it up for a while after work and continued to study the field I wanted to actually be in. At the same time saved enough dough to make the leap. Sure there were other factors that sort of pushed me to leave my job and do it. But it all boils down to HOW MUCH you want it. I know this is a broken record you've probably read or heard somewhere but it's the truth. When they say, you have to sacrifice your time with sweat and tears they weren't kidding. I wasn't successful at first, failing over and over again. But I did it part-time. Sure I was tired, sure I wasn't going out with my friends and family much. But in the end, it paid off. I've learned that I studied the sh*t out of my field, and didn't really feel the need to succeed until my, and my families life depended on my success. Nothing will motivate you more to succeed than having to put a roof under your head, and food on the table. You will be pushed to do things you have never thought you could do. I took the leap to start something on my own, and boy was it the best decision I've made in my life. Now I have to deal with other problems like what am I going to do today to push my Trading skills forward? BOREDOM, because of the type of thing I do. I usually make enough money for the day and have so much free time I'm looking for things to do. I now spend time with family and friends much more. Well, when they aren't working. You will notice everyone's grinding away at work or school and you'll be alone most of the time. I continue to study my field and have a burning desire to succeed further. I know it can all be taken away from me at any time which is why I continue to prepare myself to be ready to get back up again just in case. Which is why, after all the BS you read, and hear. It all boils down to you and taking action Part-time.

andyhaus44, Dramolion, splok and 4 others like this.
  3. Laughingman21

Laughingman21 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $876
    That's great tip. If you eat well for a few days then eat badly for a day, you'll be surprised how bad you feel. That sluggish feeling you're putting down to lack of motivation could well be poor diet and exercise.

4. valuegiver

valuegiver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $158
    As what others have alluded to, wake up early and do your own side business. I listened to a podcast in foreverjobless.com that the site owner mentored his friend. The first step that his friend took was to wake up early in the morning to work on his side business first before going to office. A lot of successful entrepreneurs love to wake up early in the morning.

Another thing is that ketogenic diet really helps to cut down the number of hours you need to sleep. I find that I have sharp mental clarity on keto diet (or even paleo) much more than when I loaded myself with carbs.

5. ahartley

ahartley Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $112
    I recently read about "Mini Habits" - like one push up a day, 1 minute of meditation a day, etc. Sounds pointless, but to GR's quote above, making it a habit means you no longer have to think about it, you'll do it by rote. And then, once you do your "one push up," you get to choose: do I continue and do more push ups? Either way you feel motivated:

1) You either met your goal (1 push up)
    -OR-
    2) You DESTROYED your goal (5, 10, 100 push ups or more)

Talk about motivation. The only way to fail at THAT goal is to not do it at all, but seriously, why would you NOT do your 1 push up? It literally takes less than a minute.

How Simple Mini Habits Can Change Your Life

6. Anthony Clark

Anthony Clark New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $16
    Not doing ever 9 to 5 job should be your motivation, train your mind, deep breathe and get ahead to make your own life and career successfull

businessbaybee likes this.
  7. Omega

Omega Absolute dominationem vitae Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,592
    I'm about to pick up a second job, I'm motivated to work because I'm going somewhere with it and because of that I'm motivated to continue making money from other streams. You got to realize It's just apart of a bigger picture.

p.s. Not ashamed to say I'm picking up a second job and I'm going to enjoy it. Neither should you too. Work for someone when you have to, and don't when you want to.

8. Dave E RDN

Dave E RDN Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $158
    I struggle with this too. One of the things I did recently was change my 9-5 to a 11-7. This way I can get up in the morning and work on my business first thing for a couple hours before I can let my “9-5” steal all my energy. I find it helps.

I also think self care is important if I’m not eating healthy, exercising, and sleeping well. My energy sucks no matter what I’m doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Damien Dev

Damien Dev Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $158
    Might not be possible but try and slash all unnecessary expenses and go part time, or semi-remote if you can't survive on part time wages. Commuting is more of a drain than the actual job in a lot of cases.

It's worse when you've got an OK 9-5 job that you don't hate. You know you can stay / show up, contribute, do the work, get the money, but you'll never be able to find or create the highest expression of your talent.

I seem to take more action when I have a day that pisses me off. Not sure if frustration is a motivation for everyone, but that kind of "f*ck this" mentality seems to get me right into gear. I mean don't get me wrong, I am grateful that I have a good working environment, but I also have to project and force myself to "feel" future pain. The pain I'd feel should I realise I'm now another year older and balder, with nothing to show for it. Nothing that's mine.

I've seen some get to retirement age, pack up their desks, walk out, and it was like they were never there. Not one bit of their work lives on. All of the projects they touched have been destroyed or re-invented by the next person. There is no legacy, there is nothing. I can't let that be me.

10. Andy Daniels

Andy Daniels Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $866
    For me, my motivation IS my 9-5. It's so boring and unfulfilling that it drives me to bust my ass when I get home. I wake up too early for a job which I get paid too little, board a train that has too many smelly people in it, all to look forward to a weekend which is too short. I WILL get out, and it'll be amazing.

Cheers and good luck to you mate!

andyhaus44, businessbaybee and Robo1 like this.
  11. go giver

go giver New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $79
    motivation is garbage because you won't get it when you need it.
    what you need is consistent action towards your goal.

so, how do you stay consistent? you take the first step without hesitation.most of us have the problem of getting started

how do you take the first step? use the five-second rule 5-4-3-2-1 and you take the first step
    it helps you to create a starting ritual by counting backward.

it is also backed by scientific research.

I personally use the
    5-secondrule+GOLD! - Achieve Laser FOCUS + PRODUCTIVITY With The System Legendary Fastlaners Use...

give it a try

hope this helps!

12. LRival87

LRival87 New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $42
    Hell yeah man.

13. annagreenang

annagreenang New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Thank you for the helpful information

14. Kaio Gui

Kaio Gui New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $39
    Hello ,

I find myself in the same situation, work 8-6, Monday to Friday, Saturday (8-3) I have a jewelry store and I face a lot of headaches every day, causing problems from outside to inside my house ... but when I started to read the book, a habit that I never had, I started to change my thinking, I put myself in 1st place, I'm training in taking more actions, avoiding saying no to things just so I do not do them, I'm dedicating myself at least 1 hour a day in the book, and all the rest of the time I'm stuck I write down my ideas ...

My motivation is to be better than me more and more!

good luck

15. annagreenang

annagreenang New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    I was having the same problem 2 year before but then i got business loan from a private lender and started a clothing business. I succeeded in this business after few months and now i am happily living.

16. Mitch carson

Mitch carson PARKED

Rep Bank:
    $7

Yes! recently, I am dealing with it. As I am just started I have face this difficulties. after finish office it is tough to main that. but I love to seat before computer always and do not feel tired too much to work three four hours after office!

what can help you on this case if your business relevant your passion will give extra satisfaction and happiness!

I also think after certain time everyone should leave office!

Thank you

17. Zcott

Zcott Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $271
    Use everything you hate in your 9-5 as a motivator.

Here's a list of things that motivate me on a daily basis.

1. Being herded out of the train station with every other commuter, like cattle being sent to the slaughter
    2. Boring, repetitive weekend where the same generic conversations take place every week
    3. Every time I hear 'happy Friday'
    4. Lying through my teeth every time someone asks if I like my job
    5. Knowing the dream is sweeter than the bitter taste of Monday morning coffee
    6. Everyday when my alarm goes off at 5:45am
    These things used to really pull me down, now I use them as motivation. I know that I am working to escape this. My point is, every time you get back from work and sit down remember you are doing this to liberate yourself so you can live your life.

I do not care how cheesy that sounds but that is the reality. That is why we are all here.

andyhaus44 likes this.