The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Find and search for accountability partners

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
What you guys say makes sense but I think the problem is when you do this you are literally relying on someone else for success. I don't know anybody that can be harder on me than me. I don't know anybody that would even be willing to check up on me regularly and honestly be able tell me what I'm doing right or wrong. Most people can't even tell themselves what they need to improve on. Other people also cannot read my mind. How can someone tell me to stop being fearful or stop having limited self beliefs?

Also why would someone be motivated to even waste their time figuring you out and telling you what to improve? Even if a person has some skin in the game with you, you still can't expect them to micromanage you. They should have their own shit to do.

You want someone to hold you accountable? Get a job, a boss will make sure you do your job while he makes sure he does his.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Well, my mates hold me to account by default.

If I say I'm going to do something, and don't, I will literally never hear the end of it. The barrage of abuse will be endless.

They either get a kick out of my failures, or care about my success. Either way my motivation to shut them up is unstoppable.

And there, somewhere, lies my point, that we all find motivation in different places.

Motivation to buy a supercar
Motivation to travel the world
Motivation to prove to your parents college isn't the only option
Motivation to shut your mates up at the pub.

It all sounds like a win to me.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You want someone to hold you accountable? Get a job, a boss will make sure you do your job while he makes sure he does his.
Amen.

By the way guys I have business partners. I have investors. I have people I trust in an advisory role. I have had defacto mentors over the years. I recognize and leverage the strengths of others. That is business. That is normal.

Accountability partners? Asinine. At that point you are really forcing something you might not be cut out for. In fact if I took ANY of those people I have in the roles listed above and asked them to be my accountability partner they would about choke on their laughter.

Last edited:

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Hey there,

Do you want an accountability partner to keep you in check and force you to stop procrastinating? I'm looking for someone for that. Another fastlaner that can help keep eachother on the right path to success and makes sure we're accomplishing our daily goals towards the fastlane.

Message me on here or in the thread to get in touch over skype.

Ok. I'm convinced, and have decided to offer my services as an accountability partner.

If you're procrastinating, then message me with your skype name. I WILL FORCE YOU to be productive. And if you're not: I will write you VERY ANGRY MESSAGES on skype until you start hitting your goals.

In all seriousness - this form of "accountability" already exists. Just make a progress thread. Write out your progress. And keep going.

Then: call your parents, friends, or family. Tell them that you're starting a business, have them laugh at you, and update them every time that you earn a check. Eventually you'll earn passive income checks that are larger than their pay stubs. At that point ask them in a passive aggressive tone: "Why do you go to work everyday? Why not just start a business?" Have them give you an excuse. Agree with them. Walk away. And laugh everyday that their hatred (accountability) led you to where you are.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Well, Kak beat me to it. I spoke over PM before with another forum member who I believed had a great idea. After a few weeks of not seeing him around the forum, I decided to message him, see how his project was going. Nothing done. I told him to get his shit together and work on his project. A week later, still nothing. After the second time I realized that, even though we both knew he had a good idea, if he didn't want it bad enough, his loss.

Trud09

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Jun 23, 2016
The false premise is that those seeking accountability must be doing nothing and are wasting all their time.

Even when requesting accountability the buck stops with me. If you don't need accountability, then that is great. I don't think I "need' it either in the sense of getting things done.

Not all of us have investors who will sue us if we don't get everything done. Not all of us have someone in our circle who is even remotely interested in running a business or performing at a high level. That is why some forum members are here.

In the meantime, can accountability be helpful to some(or use a different word that accountability if that is helpful to you. Some people have a negative association with the word as seen based on the comments so far)? Yes. When compared to taking action? No. When compared to spending hours on the forums here and then hours on Facebook and not working at all? Yes

It is dependent on where the time comes from.

Not everyone seeking help is trying to also outsource the blame for success or failure. If having someone you know who will push you in the right direction and tip the scales toward taking action then I would say it is a good idea; whether a mentor, brain trust member, or an accountability group.

I know myself. Being an extrovert, if I don't get people time occasionally, then it becomes harder for me to work. Meeting with other like minded business owners is killing two birds with one stone for me.

Tomekmeister

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jan 21, 2016
call your parents, friends, or family. Tell them that you're starting a business, have them laugh at you, and update them every time that you earn a check. Eventually you'll earn passive income checks that are larger than their pay stubs. At that point ask them in a passive aggressive tone: "Why do you go to work everyday? Why not just start a business?" Have them give you an excuse. Agree with them. Walk away. And laugh everyday that their hatred (accountability) led you to where you are.

Couldn't have described it any better.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Accountability? Motivation? Procrastination?

Huh?

If you need accountability to get something done, then you don't want it enough.

If you need motivatation to get something done, then you don't want it enough.

If you're procrastinating from getting something done, then you don't want it enough.

My suggestion is to find a better WHY - one that pulls you rather than pushes you.

Find something you can't NOT do, even when you try not to do it.

Or find someone who needs your help so it's not about you anymore.

One of my favourite sayings is:

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are."

Think about that line for a while. There's no getting round it at the end of the day.

What have you done?

The market doesn't care what you say you're going to do, or what you plan on doing.

The market doesn't pay you for your goals or your plans.

The market doesn't even pay you for your activity, or your output.

The market just pays you for the value you add.

The market is not a fickle mistress. She'll tell you exactly who you are.

If an accountability partner gets you started then great. Just be aware that once you're started you need a stronger why to keep going.

Why not find that stronger WHY in the first place? (Read thread "Clarity of Purpose".)

EDIT:

In the second radio interview linked to in my signature I talk about "motivation".

In the first radio interview linked to in my signature I talk about my why.

Last edited:

Wizztii

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 24, 2016
I'll budge on the accountabilibuddy thing if you can name one millionaire (who isn't a guru) who is quoted on saying they used this and it was key to their success. I sure haven't found one yet.
Thank you, you understood what I meant. I got the idea from the success books I've been reading. Jim rohn, Jack canfield les brown all say its a great assert to have accountability partners.

Sent from my PE-TL10 using Tapatalk

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Thank you, you understood what I meant. I got the idea from the success books I've been reading. Jim rohn, Jack canfield les brown all say its a great assert to have accountability partners.

Jim Rohn completly delegitimizes the argument. Have you noticed that people obsessed with the guru's like Jim Rohn and quoting him frequently are the ones who sell makeup?

Wizztii

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 24, 2016
Hi Everyone...heres where this started
View: https://youtu.be/FzPpHq7Atpw
. I have a question.....Are we here to bring each other down or to empower each other. Because some of the comments are not constructive at all.... I'm here to inspire and learn at the same time so let's build each other up. If my idea is not solid, how can we improve it and make it work?

Wizztii

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 24, 2016
Jim Rohn completly delegitimizes the argument. Have you noticed that people obsessed with the guru's like Jim Rohn and quoting him frequently are the ones who sell makeup?
If I'm being honest, I don't know nothing about that . I've always found value in his lessons.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
@Kak Time to roll on. you are spinning your wheels

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

Unsure if this was ever answered, but interested.

What is your criteria? (Anyone else who wants to comment and partner up as well, feel free).

I Recant.
Thank You Forum Heavy-Hitters.
You have completely de-legitimized my previous belief.

It has to hurt bad enough.
Nobody can push you but you.

Side note...
At this point,
I am convinced that if you forget that you need to EAT,
and search for an "accountability partner" instead,
you're f*cked up in the head.
(because you've been sold a lie)

Last edited by a moderator:

lewj24

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 12, 2016
St. Louis, MO
Jim rohn, Jack canfield les brown.

All three of these guys are gurus. I said no gurus. Stone cold business successes only. Gurus make money by selling you motivational catch phrases and false ideas that seem real. Some advice can be legit but this accountability partner stuff isn't.

The only author/guru I would trust who isn't a business success is someone like Robert Greene who studied successful people throughout history and wrote about them. Even then you should be cautious in my opinion.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
473%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I'm here to inspire and learn at the same time so let's build each other up

This forum isn't to inspire anyone. If you need to be "inspired" to do work, you'll never get anywhere. My old platoon leader had a great saying, "inspiration is temporary. Motivation lasts"

If you need to binge watch Gary V videos or put on your favorite Tony Robbins audio book to get you going, you're not doing anything to help yourself.

ironman150

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Jun 22, 2017
GREEN BAY WI
umm....WTF...why all the heat on someone trying to get help to get ahead?

Not everyone here has a business that supports them yet, so the idea of EAT vs find an accountability partner or your not motivated enough or your WHY isn't sufficient enough, while not wrong, sure doesn't fit very well.

W2-ers (like me) who are just getting going may want someone to hold them accountable because there IS rent money, there IS food on the table. Our additional motivation becomes the fear of giving our accountability partner the wrong answer. "No John Doe, i didn't get that done because the new season of Game of Thrones is on and it's been a long week so i thought i would just screw the pooch tonight".

& no, i'm not fake actioning this..aside from my W2 (22 years of construction wholesale, 50+ hrs week) i started an ebay drop shipping store last month ($3900 in sales, $21.7%gp & growing). Starting Shopify (couple hurdles left) and am looking to purchase my first mobile home park (freaking the shit out of me...BIG TIME...and i don't know why but it's happening by the end of August).

I (we) don't need accountability for the BIG stuff (if my kids aint eating, i'm motivated as hell) but the little stuff. Why? Because if its little and easy to do, it's easy NOT to do precisely because it's little and easy to do. Procrastination loves the little stuff. But have me answer to someone else and that little stuff suddenly has a deadline so there is a better chance it gets done. Start stacking the little things getting done and soon we are paying estimated quarterlies (which is sooooooo bogus btw).

OR maybe the big stuff too...like "dude, did you submit that LOI yet? Talk to that private lender? Get the terms sheet finalized? Get the next few listings up on Shop/eBay like you planned? What is your schedule next week/end/day/evening? You bet i'll make sure your reminded/harassed/bitched at. Oh, you don't like this, then you don't really need an accountability partner. Good luck playing the lotto".

Somewhere on this forum i saw: the difference is action, the difference is always action. An accountability partner will help make sure there is more action.

I'm new to this forum and this may only be a rant, but I would LOVE to have an accountability partner.... because its been a long a$$ week and the new season of GOT is starting, but I got food/clothing/shelter enough for me/wife/3 kiddo's. Help keep me focused and I shall do the same for you.

send me a message if you too would like someone to help you tame the little things, and the big things too.

rant over...
you may not grade this essay on sentence structure.
MJ, thank you for having spell check on this thing...
luv you long time :)

MidoMah

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 18, 2017
Qatar
Hey there,

Do you want an accountability partner to keep you in check and force you to stop procrastinating? I'm looking for someone for that. Another fastlaner that can help keep eachother on the right path to success and makes sure we're accomplishing our daily goals towards the fastlane.

Message me on here or in the thread to get in touch over skype.
Hi Kak,

I respect you and your drive completely. From what I have read and heard from other members here, you are wildly successful.

I think the only thing missing here is what works for you may not work for everyone else from a psychology standpoint. If someone needs a little extra motivation to get there from peer pressure, is it that bad; as long as it still gets done? I know you might be on a completely different level from other people here, just telling them to go get it done doesn't work for everyone. That is why not everyone is in the top 1%. I understand personally as I have struggled with depression at different times in my life. People just telling me to do it were unhelpful. I am not blaming other people for them doing anything wrong, my brain just wasn't functioning like a normal person. Different things motivate different people. Sometimes hearing others succeed in different ways is helpful. Some people need other like minded friends to give them the boost they need. That has been the case for me in some seasons of life. It might not be as effective as just doing it as you say. I might even be viewing it wrong, and you might be right. I am not uber successful in a millionaires sense, but I am on progress to reach my goals, and that is what I find important to me.

I am not saying I have it all figured out by any means. That is why some of us are here, is to learn how to be a better business person. Some others are here to share their knowledge. As you said though it is easy to action fake. Maybe accountability will help people not action fake days away.

I think you get the point.

Regardless, I am open to joining accountability. Message me if you want.
Unsure if this was ever answered, but interested.

What is your criteria? (Anyone else who wants to comment and partner up as well, feel free).
If he's no longer available -- I am.

PM me with your skype information if you're still looking for someone.

Hey, are you looking for an accountability partner who you can brainstorm with, get advice from, who will motivate you, hold you accountable, share ideas on how to be more productive etc. I am willing to be your accountability partner. I am looking for only 2 accountability partners so PM me or reply here as soon as possible.

I thought about what's written above. Really, the worst that can happen is to make a new friend.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.