The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feeling that stock market is about to crash

Anything related to investing, including crypto

Scott Bradley

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
27%
Feb 20, 2014
I'm thinking of pulling all my money out of my Vanguard 500 index fund and putting it into bonds (to keep my money safe from the upcoming financial collapse) Eventually, I'll pull that money out and put it into Gold and Silver.
Smart move?

I've got the feeling something bad is going to happen beginning Monday, September 21 - and from there on a massive downward trend. I've looked at the charts from the period between 1900 to 2015, and it seems there is a dip in the market like every 4 - 7 years or so. It looks like we are at the peak of the bull market, before everything starts to collapse. And when it does collapse, I have a feeling that this is the very last time the sheeple will be able to speak their words - the economy will NOT recover - just like it hasnt in Japan

My dad(and my mom) are retired and with no debt. My dad worked as a mailman (a government employee) and my mom a GM retiree.
My dad has amassed around $320,000 in savings with his thrift savings plan - he now has most of his money in bonds.

My mom wasn't so lucky. She puts in $50 a month into the stock market. When 2008 hit,
her money went all the way down to $8,000, and now it's up at $36,000 as of 2015

I just hope my family is prepared.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

townhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Feb 21, 2012
London

Forget about your parents and their retirement money.

They arn't going to listen to your opinion or investment advice. And you shouldn't care anyway.

Leave them to do whatever they feel is right.

Only concern yourself about your own pot, and what you are going to do to grow it.

SimonP99

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Jun 19, 2015
Forget about your parents and their retirement money.

They arn't going to listen to your opinion or investment advice. And you shouldn't care anyway.

Leave them to do whatever they feel is right.

Only concern yourself about your own pot, and what you are going to do to grow it.

Little bit of a callous attitude to forget about his parents', their life savings and future financial security.(the people who gave him life and raised him) disregarding them to concentrate solely on his own needs. Really?

Better to start a conversation with them and jointly approach the situation together as a family and find a trusted expert to help them make the best decision.

Success is more than just having money it is about being happy and seeing your loved ones secure and happy is to quote the commercial "PRICELESS"

G

Guest3722A

Imo, the chances of the djia hitting 14,000ish by the end of the month are pretty good, but anything can happen as the market is event driven. If it gets to this range, what happens thereafter is what needs to be watched. But, the close at year end is the more important indication of where things may go.

There's a lot of bagholders out there talking market doom and gloom, but out where I'm at in what was considered to be one of the more depressed areas, I'm seeing help wanted signs popping up everywhere which is an obvious 'sign' of demand.

The point I'm getting at is the dow can drop to that 14k range, and even slightly lower, but still remain in an uptrend. I personally would keep my eye on what happens end of year before considering adjustments, but that's me :)

Ezio

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Aug 6, 2014
Gdansk, Poland

Almond

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 20, 2015
Not sure about the whole market, but the tech stocks are overvalued for sure. Nasdaq is driven by bigger stocks and the spread between high and low performers is too wide for the normal economy. Outside the stock market the start up craze is also going too far, and all this looks like a dotcom bubble version 2.0. Although there are a lot of people who would tell you this time is different, I prefer to learn from past mistakes. (preferably mistakes of other people), here are more opinions about this http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/oct/04/is-dotcom-bubble-about-to-burst-again

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
If/when there is a man made disaster in the United States the market will plummet.

MyronGainz

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Dec 26, 2013
Toronto

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
I'm thinking of pulling all my money out of my Vanguard 500 index fund and putting it into bonds (to keep my money safe from the upcoming financial collapse) Eventually, I'll pull that money out and put it into Gold and Silver.
Smart move?

I've got the feeling something bad is going to happen beginning Monday, September 21 - and from there on a massive downward trend. I've looked at the charts from the period between 1900 to 2015, and it seems there is a dip in the market like every 4 - 7 years or so. It looks like we are at the peak of the bull market, before everything starts to collapse. And when it does collapse, I have a feeling that this is the very last time the sheeple will be able to speak their words - the economy will NOT recover - just like it hasnt in Japan

My dad(and my mom) are retired and with no debt. My dad worked as a mailman (a government employee) and my mom a GM retiree.
My dad has amassed around $320,000 in savings with his thrift savings plan - he now has most of his money in bonds.

My mom wasn't so lucky. She puts in $50 a month into the stock market. When 2008 hit,
her money went all the way down to $8,000, and now it's up at $36,000 as of 2015

Yes I agree with you. You can go short on a company that u think for sure will be hit and do a part in bonds and keep a part in cash for yourself and business.

I personally just bought a large amount in Euro/Usd with leverage of 5. Im expecting the dollar to drop HARD within a couple of years (or sooner).
I also think air france-klm is going to go down within a couple of years, their management is toxic and its going to be almost impossible to get back in the game, especially because their competitors are very smart. I didnt go short tho, I only bought euro/usd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Smart move?

Date posted 9/19
Date OP was last here 9/19

No sense in responding to the OP.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Jun 29, 2011

dbelov275

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jul 7, 2017
Europe
You will never stop hearing about this for as long as you trade stock. But the good thing, all those are just guesses based on no actual statistics but mere assumptions. We are still waiting for the crash. This is 2017 and it's almost gone.

mike24601

Consumption Bear
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Apr 8, 2017
Illinois
You will never stop hearing about this for as long as you trade stock. But the good thing, all those are just guesses based on no actual statistics but mere assumptions. We are still waiting for the crash. This is 2017 and it's almost gone.

I can't seem to shovel money into savings fast enough! I'm preparing for the next crash so that I will be armed and ready to invest in as many tanked blue-chips as possible. Who cares if 10% of them go bankrupt, I've already done the math on what could have been if I did this in '08. I will not miss next time. On a much smaller scale, even in fair weather I have begun seeking destitute companies with the potential for a turnaround (JC Penney, Jones Soda Co., etc). It's wildly speculative, but also can be lots of fun. Keep the pot small and make use of stop orders, then earn you some beer money :D

Rem

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
81%
Sep 14, 2009
Maine
If the masses dump then who is buying? The idea is to go against the rigged system if you want to play the game. If there is fear the markets are going to go down you best be buying when it does. Otherwise just go along with the long term plan and hope you become a millionaire by the time you enter the adult diaper stage. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Interesting this thread is nearly 2 years old and the same still applies-- market is overvalued and we have not had an full scale blowouts.

I've already done the math on what could have been if I did this in '08.

My misery portfolio went from $70k to $2.4M I think.

The Misery Portfolio

(It was 2.1M in 2014)

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
These may help some of you who like to "look back at the trends."

(Great for your business projections as well)

3TRofl3.jpg

(It's an old chart, so don't take the actual stocks as recommendations)

The private equity investors I provide services to say the same thing, and they're excited for a correction. But while some people are withdrawing their cash, there's everyone else who are still finding deals and raking it in by the boatloads.

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Billionaires were made in 2008 going against the market. The question is how are YOU going to capitalize on a big downturn...

Agreed. You can't time the market. But if you want to play the market, better to have a large cash position and wait for a downturn. Markets are cyclical. If your goal is just to long-term hold, no need to worried about the inevitable downturns. If you're in it for short term gain, there are better investment vehicles.

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Wow this thing is old. But maybe something might happen with the markets at the end of the month. I guess we'll see how natural phenomenon affects humans. There will be a big eclipse throughout the US. It might send some people in a panick.

Did December 21 2012 have an effect on the markets?

vinylawesome

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Aug 11, 2012

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
Smart move?

what we are witnessing here is a bias called " seeing only validation "

most people who think the market won't crash are absolutely convinced this is reality

most pople who think the market will crash are absolutely convinced this is reality

only one group is right

the question we should ask is " can a society live for ever on scam money ? "

this is reality, not my opinion

the US dollar is officialy a fiat currency, this means it is not backed by anything since 1973 ( gold or anything)

it is only backed by people's faith in it

like faith in toilet paper to wipe your a$$

this is reality not my opinion.

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
Smart move?

How did that "prediction" work out for you? Make money form it?

GMSI7D

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
Jan 27, 2016
Lyon, France
all we can say is that if it really crashes indeed, it will be the worst financial disaster in history very quickly.

within hours

the 1929 disaster will look like a joke

Elif

New Contributor
Jun 25, 2018
Billionaires were made in 2008 going against the market. The question is how are YOU going to capitalize on a big downturn...

mom

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
May 9, 2016
and 3 years on......

You should never have any kind of gut feel as to what you think might happen. Very dangerous.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.