The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Feeling that stock market is about to crash

mom

Contributor
May 9, 2016
Billionaires were made in 2008 going against the market. The question is how are YOU going to capitalize on a big downturn...
by firms trading billions....it's all relative.

Since 2008 they changed shorting rules.....retail find it very hard to short stocks now.

Become a Fastlane INSIDER to view the forum ad free.

nroudyk

New Contributor
Jun 6, 2019
Not intending to offend you, but I clicked this thread hoping there would be more quantatative analysis. A vague "feeling" and a quick glance at a chart is no way to time the market. There are people who do this successfully for a living but they have a lot more tools and knowledge at their disposal than you and I. They're also a very small minority, most of the pros CANNOT beat the stock market or time it correctly, this has been conclusively proven.

Simply depositing a part of your paycheck like clockwork is the way to go, but that is definitely slowlane. When you're 65 or your parents are 65, they MAY be able to retire in dignity.

Also, 36,000 really isn't a meaningful amount of money. It wont change your life if you live in a developed country. I would focus a lot more on building a viable business in line with the philosophy of this forum than trying to squeeze out a couple more % out of meagre retirement funds. When you're pulling like 10k a month, then it may make sense to manage your investments, but you have to get some money to invest first.

mikey3times

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Speedway Pass
Jun 21, 2013
Massachusetts
On Sep 18, 2015 (the day before this thread started) the S&P 500 closed at $1,958.03.

Yesterday (7/10/19) the S&P 500 closed at $2,993.07.

Someone smarter than me can compare historical bond prices, but even if the bonds outperformed the S&P, the market didn’t crash.

Don’t time the market and don’t make financial decisions based on, “I have a feeling.”

Disciple96

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 5, 2016
IL
Wouldn't it be better to just HODL and invest even more when the markets are down instead of trying to beat the market?

I'm not an investor - this is just common investment advice I've heard.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom