The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Parenting (Tips, Tactics...)

DeterminedJ

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Jun 15, 2017
Burlington, VT
This.
If you are reading this thread, and don't have this...
read this post again.
Print it out.

I know moms don't get/have a monopoly on caring about this kind of stuff, but it's still super kick arse & inspiring to see all these posts from dads! You guys rock

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
id recommend every parent on this forum also to get your children into martial arts, one of the best sports in the world AND is a very good hobby with the ability to learn defense, respect and make good friends. some of the most humble people come from martial arts.

Sean Kaye

Hopium Dealer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Jun 14, 2017
Sydney, Australia
I came to the realisation about 7 years ago when my son was six that I was missing stuff.

We'd always agreed my wife would stay home and be there for our son 100% of the time he needed her and I would do everything imaginable to be there as much as possible while doing what needed to be done to make it possible for her to fulfil that requirement.

I didn't miss big things like his first day of school or awards nights, but sometimes, balls got dropped because I was busy.

I made the call to switch roles at work, ramp up our online businesses and buy back some of my own time so that I could be more available.

We don't get these years with our kids back, so if you're just starting that parenting journey, keep that in mind.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
id recommend every parent on this forum also to get your children into martial arts, one of the best sports in the world AND is a very good hobby with the ability to learn defense, respect and make good friends. some of the most humble people come from martial arts.

Rep+++ for that reminder. Getting the shit kicked out of me in an MMA/BJJ gym twice a week was one of the best things to ever happen to 14 year old me.... for so, so many reasons.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My wife was just watching America's Got Talent with my 7 year old son.

A 9 year old came on stage and sang to everyone.
My son asked: "I want to do that, how do I get to do that?"
My wife tried to clarify: "Oh, you want to sing in front of people? Or did you mean you just want to be in the audience to see these cool acts?"
My son said "No. I want to be the one judging".

#soproud

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana
I agree with this, but you have to find a place that focuses on the actual martial arts like BJJ - not a glorified baby sitter Tae-Kwon-Do place that just preaches about discipline while boring kids to death.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
When we found out our first child was coming..I was stuck in a crummy accounting job everyone thought I was "lucky" to have. At that point (May 2014), I had made $0 in revenue, failed businesses and action fakes...

But, damn it, that kid jumping in my wife's tummy made me hyper-focused. Before that kid turned one, I quit my job with mountains of debt and disapproval of family (we actually lied for months saying I was still working at the accounting firm).

Why'd I do it?
  • Because at some point in 18-20 years, my kid's going to have a choice between taking a risk and pushing the chips all in on herself...or, fall into the scripted life. I want to be her example of what happens when you bet on yourself.
  • I knew it'd take years for my wife and I to make buckets of money from my business, and thus needed that time-runway while the kid doesn't remember much. We do pretty well, but not as fiscally responsible as we should.
  • I want to attend her dance classes on Wednesdays starting in August. That's an example of what I wanted to be around for
Then, we get moments like this where she wanted to put her table on the porch and have a picnic. I closed up my laptop and we had lunch. No boss to ask or PTO to use.

1500683232778screensave.png

Last week, we went and got pancakes.

Today...I did yardwork...

14922.jpeg

On the flip side...I've found my daughter's spoiled as now she expects me to go everywhere with her during the day. "No kid, I won't go to the grocery store with you and mommy!"

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Inspired by the recent thread with debit cards target at kids, I thought, "This sounds like a convenient way to give the kid an allowance",... but that raised another question: Do you give the kid an allowance, or should money be given them for doing chores? If they're part of the family, why should they expect payment for participating in upkeep of the the family home?

You parents out there with kids older than mine: When do you give kids money, and what conditions are attached to it? @amp0193 @JAJT @MidwestLandlord @Scot - and of course anyone else I haven't thought of.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
Inspired by the recent thread with debit cards target at kids, I thought, "This sounds like a convenient way to give the kid an allowance",... but that raised another question: Do you give the kid an allowance, or should money be given them for doing chores? If they're part of the family, why should they expect payment for participating in upkeep of the the family home?

You parents out there with kids older than mine: When do you give kids money, and what conditions are attached to it? @amp0193 @JAJT @MidwestLandlord @Scot - and of course anyone else I haven't thought of.

I have cats and a dog.. no kids haha

But this is something the wife and I talk about as we are in the process of starting a family. Our philosophy is work for your money. If they want an allowance, they have to work for it.

CPisHere

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Sep 17, 2011
Louisiana

You parents out there with kids older than mine: When do you give kids money, and what conditions are attached to it?
My kids aren't old enough yet, but I can see a few sides to this. My philosophy is that allowance is too much like a regular paycheck - I don't want them hooked on it. And chores are an expectation that shouldn't be compensated. So they will have to make money by coming up with ideas of additional services & then negotiate the price in order to make money. For instance, if mowing the lawn is a chore - they can notice the deck needs to be pressure washed, and offer to do it for $X.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

My kid's almost 3. I haven't started giving her money yet, although I think she's ready.

Curious to hear what others have done.

Chitown

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Apr 14, 2009
Culver City

@G-Man,

When they make their beds and certain little chores around the household. I have two boys - ages 7 & 4 - and let me tell you, I should charge 'em rent, given how much food they eat! We want them to get used to the concept of earning money. I love my boys.:smile2:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
so many of their suggestions are ridiculous ("You should build a Lego room in the next house we sell and fill it with Lego sets -- that way, lots of moms and dads will want to buy the house for their kids!")

If by ridiculous you mean awesome..... who wouldn't want a lego room?! :smile:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
If by ridiculous you mean awesome..... who wouldn't want a lego room?! :smile:

Maybe not for a rental property, but I rent airbnbs almost exclusively on how kid friendly they are. I.e. Lots of toys and playground outside. Especially when we do longer rentals.

I would rent the house with the Lego room without a second thought, haha!

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
Watching this thread with more interest now.

One thing I can't really get on board with is the idea that you need to be careful about "imposing your beliefs" on your kids. Guys and gals, that happens naturally in ways you can't even being to imagine, and evolution or God (or both) made it that way. You had those beliefs and you lived and had children, so, the universe posits, they must be good enough to share. So your child acts like a little sponge, and your best efforts to let them decide things for themselves will be utterly impotent against their powers of observation. They will see what you sneer at for a microsecond, what you never talk about, and what you fixate on. They will see and learn, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Everything that makes you distinctly human may be said to be the product of indoctrination. You use a bathroom rather than crapping in a cave because you were indoctrinated to do so. You write and can use math because of indoctrination. Since language and thinking are intimately connected, many of your higher brain functions may be said to actually be the product of indoctrination--of your brain being wired to desperately want you to be formed in your parent's image.

My feeling is that we ought to "sin boldly" in this regard. Since it's gonna happen, evaluate your biases as well as you can, and then teach your kids the best you know how. Yeah, I want my child to go Fastlane like me; it's not wrong to want my kid to follow in my footsteps--if I knew a better way, I would be on it myself.

I 100% agree with learning through seeing and doing rather than just lecturing. Although my dad was a genius with fixing cars, I am ashamed to say I didn't learn anything from him. I was too busy wasting my teen years on video games. But I did learn something, which I think was the real key to my success in this area, the gateway that allowed me to use YouTube and trial and error to teach me enough to be a professional mechanic, and eventually far exceed his skill in most areas:

I learned that it was possible.

That was enough.

I learned that it was possible to have a blown fuel pump on Friday night and, with a bunch of tools and a few choice swear words, have a running car again by Monday morning for $120 instead of the $900 the shop wanted. Consistently, I see this as the biggest barrier to entry for people who are not mechanically inclined: They look at something like changing shocks or breaks like performing orthopedic surgery, something no layperson ever should or could attempt. It's this limiting belief that stops them.

The Fastlane will go the same way. Just letting your kids see that it's possible to make $800 while you're asleep or $2,000 while you spend a day at the beach, that's one of the strongest red pills there is. Because that teaches them all they really need to know to be hungry and curious to chase after it:

That it's possible.

Last edited:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
The Fastlane will go the same way. Just letting your kids see that it's possible to make $800 while you're asleep or $2,000 while you spend a day at the beach, that's one of the strongest red pills there is. Because that teaches them all they really need to know to be hungry and curious to chase after it:

That it's possible.

I like this.

Knowing something is a possible is a strong motivator.

How many people said the 4-minute mile couldn't be run?

And once someone did it, it was done over and over again.

RHL

The coaching was a joke guys.
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
747%
Oct 22, 2013
PA/NJ
And once someone did it, it was done over and over again.

You see it in every discipline. After some new technology comes out, others are able to clone it even without industrial espionage. I used to do competitive skateboarding, and you'd see someone land a new trick for the first time ever (like a 720 flip) very sloppy and using a ramp to get much higher than they could ollie to make it work.

8 months later, you'd see some 12-year-old busting the trick on flat ground and landing bolts. All it took was the pioneer to show it could happen.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
One thing I can't really get on board with is the idea that you need to be careful about "imposing your beliefs" on your kids. Guys and gals, that happens naturally in ways you can't even being to imagine, and evolution or God (or both) made it that way. You had those beliefs and you lived and had children, so, the universe posits, they must be good enough to share. So your child acts like a little sponge, and your best efforts to let them decide things for themselves will be utterly impotent against their powers of observation. They will see what you sneer at for a microsecond, what you never talk about, and what you fixate on. They will see and learn, and there is nothing you can do about it.

Couldn't agree more. Had to have this conversation with some relatives that were insinuating that raising our son with our religious beliefs was essentially brainwashing, and the kid should be able to "make up his own mind". I'm sitting there like "How would civilization even be possible if every generation had to make up it's own mind about everything?" It's also a denial of the reality that your kid is going to adopt someone's beliefs,.... why wouldn't you want it to be yours?

Don't want the thread to digress into a religious debate, but that's the most recent example to come to mind.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread upgraded from NOTABLE to GOLD.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016

We pay them by the chore. They have set chores they must do, if they do them well and without fuss they get paid, if they don't they still do them without getting paid.

They save a third, donate a third to their favorite charity, and spend the other third.

Am I teaching them to trade time for money? Probably.

But.

Their mom is pro-job and slowlane (nothing wrong with that), and I am pro-income producing assets and fastlane. So they get to see both worlds. I think it works out.

My youngest especially is often coming up with ideas on how to make money without trading time. Loaning out her allowance, buying toys on sale and flipping them for more in my retail locations, that kind of thing. And she's 7, so I think I'm doing alright in the parenting department.

Plus, I'm always talking. Always communicating with them. My oldest probably knows more about options trading than 99% of adults for example. I talk about trading time for money, the alternatives to that, working hard regardless, that sort of thing. It's all good.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Interesting thread guys.
I've always known I wanted to have children, but now it's starting to hit home in a big way. I thought this only happened with women but nope. I actually had a 5 year relationship breakdown when I was 29 because she was adamant she didn't want children. Even though I was many years away from being ready to do so, it still woke us up to the fact that things were not going to work. 6 years later we are still great friends but the right decision was definitely made.

I think because I grew up in a pretty large family with absolutely no money, which always seemed to create untold amounts of stress, I've been super cautious about when I do start a family. But can't actually imagine anything more rewarding than doing so. (Being a part time English teacher to little kids in Vietnam has somewhat accelerated this.. I suddenly have about a hundred children..)

Lately I have personally found this more motivating to make myself a success than being able to leave the J.O.B. but it's all kind of hand in hand I suppose.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Plus, I'm always talking. Always communicating with them. My oldest probably knows more about options trading than 99% of adults for example. I talk about trading time for money, the alternatives to that, working hard regardless, that sort of thing. It's all good.

I was explaining contracts and how they work to my 2-year-old yesterday.

It's a fun challenge trying to explain difficult concepts in language they understand.

becks22

90% coffee, 10% everything else
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Jul 6, 2016
Upstate NY
Bumping this thread. Just finished watching the most recent episode of The Profit. It's for a company called Mr. Cory's Cookies and is owned by a thirteen year old boy (started doing the cookies at age 6) and his mother. Great episode overall but would definitely recommend watching it with your kids if you got em

It's available on Hulu if you have a subscription.

AnAverageJoe

remember that you will die
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 4, 2017
NMBSC
I'm so happy I found this thread. Amazing information and insights from everyone who contributed. Thanks for the great read. I read The Millionaire Fastlane because of my boys, so it was great hearing from the other Dad's around here.

For me, it's important that my kids know that they can do/be/believe anything they want. The world is full of unlimited possibilities. It's up to us to find them and execute on them. We are the masters of our own destiny, no one else.

I was brought up with a very slowlane/victim mentality. Rich people either inherited their money, got lucky, knew the right people, or had sex with the right people. Money was scarce, and we better be happy with what we had. I was never taught that money was a tool. That will be another priority of mine.

It's also important that I am the best version of myself so I can set a good example. I want them to see my beliefs in action, I don't want to just tell them about them.

Yesterday while I was at work my wife sent me a snap of my two year old crying, and all he was saying was "Daddy." I couldn't be there because I was at work. (She sent me the snap so I could send one back to him, not just to torture me.) That absolutely killed me. One of the first things my 4 year old asks me every morning is if I get to stay home today. I can't wait until he doesn't have to ask that anymore.

My ultimate goal is for my kids to turn into happy, stable adults. I don't want them to be stuck in a job they don't want at 31 years old, wishing they were home with their family.

Gasyhustler

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
May 12, 2018
I have 2 daughters, 9 & 6.

I struggle with this, I won't lie.

On one hand they see and hear me talk about making money without trading time for it, being an entrepreneur, and so on.

But on the other hand they have teachers talking about "getting good jobs", a school schedule that is Mon-Fri (5 for 2) so they think that is the "norm", and my other family members that are very good at teaching a sidewalker mentality.

I often feel like my voice is drowned out by the other influences in their life.

If I were you, I would not worry that much.

I had been raised in a intercultural family too.

Both my parents have different point of view in many areas of life.

I listened to both of them, I analyzed what really resonate in me and I followed my own path when I grew up.

And I think that both of them are proud of me now nevertheless.

P.S : I know that it's an old topic, but it's in the Gold section and planning to have my family in few years, I want to know if people can really do it with kids.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
I want to know if people can really do it with kids.

Of course you can.

Do kids make it harder? Probably.

Are kids expensive? Yes.

But the "I have kids and responsibilities!" is an excuse for sure.

People that use kids as an excuse would just find another excuse if they didn't have kids.

Just be smart about it. (Don't fall into the usual "my kids deserve the best!" nonsense and spend money you haven't earned)

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Just be smart about it. (Don't fall into the usual "my kids deserve the best!" nonsense and spend money you haven't earned)

My kids do deserve the best. I just have a different idea of what the "best" is.

My kids deserve for me to be the best, most present father I can be.

My kids deserve to be raised by their wonderful mother, not strangers at daycare centers.

My kids deserve the best education available, which means I sacrifice my money and my wife sacrifices her time, rather than sending them to the Marxist re-education camps we call public schools

My kids deserve the best health I can give them. It means I spend money on quality food for them instead of buying more toys for myself.

I could go on and on. I have a dear friend that works 12 hour days and just spent 50k on a home entertainment system so his kids can have "the best". Don't be that guy.

The EL Maven

No longer life's passenger
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
319%
Dec 3, 2015
My kids deserve the best education available, which means I sacrifice my money and my wife sacrifices her time, rather than sending them to the Marxist re-education camps we call public schools
And this IS the best education available today. One on One home learning (whether the parent does it, or it's outsourced) is the equivalent of a super car while public school is the equivalent of a city run bus. One is great for moving a lot of people along a prescribed route rather slowly, and the other is a super car where YOU dictate the direction and speed.

With that said, anyone reading this who is not in a position nor inclined, don't feel bad. You can still have a major impact which is what this Gold thread is all about. We do private school (sort of like a charter bus in my analogy) and some after schooling (driving a lambo for some laps at the race track), and after a year of this, my 5 year old is about 5 years ahead in some subjects (and no, I'm not exaggerating). You can make a HUGE difference in a little time if the time is consistent over a year, two years, etc.

CaptainAmerica

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Dec 27, 2015
Phoenix OR
Proud parenting moment - my own, not my kids. My youngest just turned 18, and will be graduating High School in June. I did it - 31 years of parenting - that's a hell of a career! I failed a lot, and I questioned my decision to stay home with them almost daily for 17 years. I also started a small successful massage therapy business and got my chemistry degree. For 7 of those 31 years, I was involved with an abuser. For 10 years, I was happily married. For all the rest, I was the single parent of 5 kids. Who are all grown, happy, productive, nice people. I'm feeling ridiculously proud of myself. :blush:

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
My kids do deserve the best. I just have a different idea of what the "best" is.

My kids deserve for me to be the best, most present father I can be.

My kids deserve to be raised by their wonderful mother, not strangers at daycare centers.

My kids deserve the best health I can give them. It means I spend money on quality food for them instead of buying more toys for myself.

I could go on and on. I have a dear friend that works 12 hour days and just spent 50k on a home entertainment system so his kids can have "the best". Don't be that guy.

We are kindred spirits my friend.

Great post

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.