The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastest hosting companies? Anyone use bluehost? Which one do you use?

exige

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Aug 20, 2013
Bucks County, PA
I am really liking MediaTemple right now. Its a little pricier than HostGator.

Got the notice that MediaTemple has been acquired by GoDaddy. So far nothings changed, but oh you just know it will. GoDaddy is pure evil. The facebook comments on MediaTemple's page about it are all comments from people saying they are moving hosts immediately. I don't know how it will play out for MediaTemple, as I'm sure those guys must have an earn-out. It would seem they've really violated people's trust and pissed off their entire customer base.

So, time to start looking into alternatives. DigitalOcean looks interesting. Can you up the plan/allocate more resources without having to migrate to a new instance, e.g. scale it easily as sites grow?

And, anyone have any recommendations for hosts with affordable Windows VPS and dedicated that isn't using pirated licenses?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

igneous

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 28, 2013
Siteground and Site5 are very good for shared hosting (up to ~100K unique monthly visits). WPEngine or Synthesis for the best managed shared hosting - but they can get expensive, especially the former.

Beyond that, if you need a managed VPS, then WiredTree or KnownHost are your best bet. Digital Ocean if you're confident by yourself.

Phones

Break your boundaries
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Aug 13, 2011
Praia da Areia Branca, Portugal
SiteGround x1000

Couldn't be happier, best service ever , best pricing ever.

GravyBoat

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 25, 2013
San Diego
About to go with SiteGround. Any objections?

McCoyH

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jul 28, 2013
Iowa
I used to use HostGator but their restrictions for cheaper account got to be too much. My friend owns several servers in a data center in Salt Lake City and I now get hosting thru him for only $10 a month with unlimited everything. I think I have upwards of 100 domains thru him and bandwidth out the butt for only $10 / mo... Let me know if you want me to give you his contact info, send me a PM

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
I use a VPS (Virtual Private Server) from Digital Ocean and it is beyond fast! Not long ago I wasn't aware of Nginx (a server) which Digital Ocean offers and it simply flies under very heavy loads. If you have a lot of traffic, don't want to spend a fortune and have some technical capabilities I found a great tutorial for getting a server up and running and nicely secured.

If you aren't comfortable managing your own server than I believe Linode has a similar setup as a managed option and I have read some great things about them in my research.

SBS.95

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Oct 14, 2012
Pennsylvania
I use Bluehost. The service is quick and the pricing is competitive. They have yet to give me a reason to switch.

integrity

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
307%
Apr 6, 2014
Like @LightHouse already mentioned, I would avoid all EIG-owned hosts. This includes Hostgator, Bluehost, Dreamhost, and many other well known hosts. Here's a full list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_International_Group

As for what hosts to go with, it depends on what you want to do. For a VPS/Dedicated server I'd suggest LiquidWeb, BeyondHosting, WiredTree or EuroVPS if you want a EU server. (Personally, I'm using LiquidWeb right now -- really like them.)

There's also places like Digital Ocean and Linode, but their servers are unmanaged and don't offer things you might need like Cpanel, ect..

For shared hosting (which is probably what you want) I'd suggest looking at Site5, Stablehost and Arvixe. (I have some sites hosted on Stablehost myself)

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Nathan Malone

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Feb 10, 2010
You can go with:

1) Shared hosting
2) Dedicated server
3) Cloud hosting

Cloud hosting might be more reliable/scalable, but in some cases, it might be a little slower, due to database latency due to the database (MySQL, for example) being hosted on different servers. For the fastest performance from a dedicated server, you should try to get any database(s) you are using put on a separate hard drive from the main server files, and depending on your db usage patterns, having a SSD hard drive used by your database can often dramatically speed up the site.

Another tip for almost everyone is if you want to increase the speed of your website, you can often do that easily by hosting images/css/javascript files and other static files on a CDN (content delivery network). There are several good ones out there that you can find by doing a search.

YMCMB

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Mar 25, 2012
I have had a shared babycroc plan on Hostgator for about 7 years now. It's good for non critical sites.
For anything I have paid traffic going to I have had no issues with http://Netjelly.com

Tyler K

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Jul 25, 2014
United States
Hey,

I use DreamHost and it's a really reputable company. I love it and I'm pretty sure they have 24/7 support as well. You can host unlimited domains so it'll be good for anyone with multiple projects.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.