The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastest hosting companies? Anyone use bluehost? Which one do you use?

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Hi, I have hostpapa but the programmer that worked on my site said I have slow hosting service. So I think I need to find another hosting company, does anyone use bluehost?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tom.V

Tom
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
237%
Feb 20, 2012
San Juan
Depends on what your needs are. KnownHost, LiquidWeb, BeyondHosting, and Storm on Demand are reliable solutions with good track records.

FastLearner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
36%
Aug 3, 2013
Scottsdale, AZ
GoDaddy and HostGator.

gdup3784

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
85%
Jul 22, 2013
Dublin, Ohio
Hostgator

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 4

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011

Chris_Willow

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Jul 8, 2012
EU
I hosted a website on hostgator for 3 years without problems. Then they changed something and we started getting anywhere from couple of minutes to a few hours of unexpected downtime per week (I know because we have uptime monitoring).

When I notified their customer support about the issue, their response was "Look, your site is working now. Can't help you".

Ended up moving that site to a cloud VPS with a fatter pipe, better support and more control.

They did offer huge discounts after closing the account but you get what you pay for.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Hostgator was bought last year by EIG, the same company that owns bluehost and fatcow et al. They moved all the HG servers out of Softlayer and into their provo datacenter where bluehost machines are. That's why you had downtime and have shittier service now.

Most of those shared companies are owned by the same people. Generally however you will get the same slow service out of most shared hosts, so either look into site optimization or get a more powerful hosting package that gives you more resources.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
linode.com or digitalocean.com if you need a VPS. https://www.webfaction.com/ is also good shared hosting.

While I love DigitalOcean, they are a developers host, not a consumer host. They do not have a user friendly control people most folks need.

However if you are a developer and need to deploy cheap machines with SSD's digital ocean is amazing.

zachonaboat

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 30, 2013
East Coast
look into cloud computing. you only pay for what you use. with that said, rackspace or amazon ec2 would be my first recommendations.

I've had HORRIBLE experience with hostgator. I've been hosting domains for 15+ years. Godaddy isn't much better as most of their tech support are really badly trained. When I was with hostgator they rolled back my dev server with 10+ client's worth of work to a version 1 week prior. Their tech team had no clue why and then it took me two weeks to get a credit on my service. Fast forward four weeks later, they do it again! This was just 8 months ago... From my experience it pays to be with a proven industry leader when it comes to hosting, especially saving in the cloud.

TJPB

Defy Ordinary
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jun 9, 2012
Colorado
Hi, I have hostpapa but the programmer that worked on my site said I have slow hosting service. So I think I need to find another hosting company, does anyone use bluehost?

Are you using WordPress at all?

apax999

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
Sep 3, 2013
NY
+1 BeyondHosting. Good guys who can think outside the box, and know and understand your setup. Typically you'll get the same 1 or 2 guys responding to your tickets.

I had to move my stuff off of LiquidWeb because I was having constant performance issues over the course of 2-3 months, and instead of assigning a dedicated rep to get to the bottom of it they passed the ticket around from 10-15 different engineers of all different levels who never spent enough time to dig in deep enough and understand my setup and business. LiquidWeb got too big for its own good, it GoDaddy'ed itself.

nitroheadz28

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Aug 10, 2013
San Diego - NYC
+1 BeyondHosting. Good guys who can think outside the box, and know and understand your setup. Typically you'll get the same 1 or 2 guys responding to your tickets.

Another +1 for these guys, I just got my first VPS starter from them. I had a stupid issue and my ticket was answered+ resolved instantly. So far I'm very satisfied and from what my research showed me- they have an excellent record.

Ironically I had someone off godaddy call me this morning because I got rid of a domain there yesterday and he was going on and on about how they've been bringing in new tech guys from Google and Microsoft and how they are the best out there now. Did not see good reviews for them as well as for Hostgator+ their affiliated companies for a little while now.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
When I notified their customer support about the issue, their response was "Look, your site is working now. Can't help you".

Yep, I got the same spiel too for the increasingly frequent outages.

so either look into site optimization or get a more powerful hosting package that gives you more resources.

What site optimization are you referring to?

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Yep, I got the same spiel too for the increasingly frequent outages.

What site optimization are you referring to?

Object and image caching, using a CDN for visitors not local to your datacenter, database optimization if your site is I/O heavy, etc. You can only do so much on a shared server, but if the server is overloaded it doesn't matter what you do really, it will be slow. That is just what you get for being cheap with hosting.

whiteeclipse

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
May 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
It's WordPress....and there are specific hosting services that are optimized for WordPress only...in fact, that's all they do.

I see thanks, I have been seeing wordpress alot lately, I could see why many hosting services are optimized for wordpress only. Thanks for the info.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
Object and image caching, using a CDN for visitors not local to your datacenter, database optimization if your site is I/O heavy, etc. You can only do so much on a shared server, but if the server is overloaded it doesn't matter what you do really, it will be slow. That is just what you get for being cheap with hosting.

Thanks for this Lighthouse.

I don't have anything really server intensive with Hostgator at the moment. A couple of low traffic, static websites and a few WordPress installations for testing niches. One of the static websites is a membership site with videos but that has pretty low traffic.

Just got two outages last night confirmed via two separate monitors. As usual, Hostgator support said everything is working fine :sigh:

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Thanks for this Lighthouse.

I don't have anything really server intensive with Hostgator at the moment. A couple of low traffic, static websites and a few WordPress installations for testing niches. One of the static websites is a membership site with videos but that has pretty low traffic.

Just got two outages last night confirmed via two separate monitors. As usual, Hostgator support said everything is working fine :sigh:

It doesnt sound like you need a "fast" host, it just sounds like you need something better than a shared host. All shared hosts are like that, but since you have monitoring you see it more. It can be from the database of another site overloading mysql, apache not allowing any more conections if sometihng is getting a lot of traffic, etc. It could even be your own sites. But you get what you pay for essentially.

FreeMan

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Nov 26, 2012
NSW, Australia
It doesnt sound like you need a "fast" host, it just sounds like you need something better than a shared host. All shared hosts are like that, but since you have monitoring you see it more. It can be from the database of another site overloading mysql, apache not allowing any more conections if sometihng is getting a lot of traffic, etc. It could even be your own sites. But you get what you pay for essentially.

You're right, speed isn't my main concern at the moment.

Given the low volumes my sites were doing, I didn't mind the occasional downtime every few weeks and sometimes months. But now it's pretty much a weekly occurrence. Might need to pry open the wallet and upgrade to a VPS.

joschi

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
Sep 12, 2012
Berlin
If you are looking for a deticated server i would recommend those:
DE: domainfactory (jiffybox)
UK: linnode
US: Digital Ocean

For managed server in the US: Rackspace, caution, very expensive

CDN: Amazon Cloud Front
Backup: Amazon S3 with s3cmd from linux

regards

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You're right, speed isn't my main concern at the moment.

Given the low volumes my sites were doing, I didn't mind the occasional downtime every few weeks and sometimes months. But now it's pretty much a weekly occurrence. Might need to pry open the wallet and upgrade to a VPS.

Here is the thing i have mentioned here before. You are monitoring it and scaring yourself, is any of those 1-2 minutes of downtime really effecting your business? probably not.

I would focus resources on growing your business and/or traffic before you worry about things like that. You are focused on something that really isn't effecting you, and it is distracting you from your business.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
GoDaddy and HostGator.

No, they both are awful.

Liquid Web or Beyond Hosting. I have used both, and they both have excellent customer service. I am with Beyond Hosting right now.
Liquid Web has 24/7 Phone and email support, Beyond Hosting only has 24/7 email support. Other than that, they're basically the same.

I have had nothing but problems with Hostgator. Also heard bad things about GoDaddy hosting.

mentalic

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Nov 26, 2012
I have a VPS at ServInt. Excellent support and good pricing for managed servers. Most of the timeouts are because of incorrect handling of resources from my side. I have many Wordpress sites that are getting attacked all the time. However, I think that I will try Digital Ocean (thanks for mentioning it).

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.