The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

"Fake it 'til you make it"

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
When I first heard about this concept, it just sounded *wrong* to me. I mean, being authentic and "real" are important to me-- both in business, and in life.

So why would anyone "fake it"?

Turns out, that's not really what the whole concept is about.

Translated, "Fake it 'til you make it" means "What you conceive and believe, you can achieve" (a quote sometimes attributed to Napoleon Hill, the author of "Think and Grow Rich".

In an nutshell, "Fake it 'til you make it" is this:

1. Figure out what you want to be/do.

2. Study the actions/principles/methodology of a particular characteristic or goal.

3. "Try" emulating the activity or behavior.

4. (this is the key part): Repeat the activity or behavior until you've mastered it.

Example:

1. You want to be a marathon runner

2. You read up and learn about running marathons, and what people who run marathons do. You also learn how they get started.

3. You start to run, or jog. Perhaps you can't even jog a block before you're wiped out. You begin to eat better-- or more like runners. You learn about hydration, and running surfaces, and the importance of good shoes (and avoiding things like plantar fasciitis)

4. Don't overdo it-- but repeat the activity (running and specific marathon exercises) day after day, month after month-- UNTIL YOU "MAKE IT"-- that is, until your body has changed and you can run long distances-- miles-- without having to stop.

At its core, "Fake it 'til you Make it" has more to do with analysis, behavior modification, and (key)-- PERSISTENCE-- than it does with being false or artificial.

"Fake it 'til you Make it" is about setting goals, defining what needs to be done, and acquiring new skills.

Sometimes, it's all about getting your *head* in a different place-- when you're depressed, studies have found that if you work at smiling-- both when alone, and when out in public-- that depression is lessened.

Just by smiling-- even if you don't "feel" like smiling!

Fake it-- and before you know it-- you'll actually be happier.

Try it. You will be surprised at how effective it is if you've done the proper analysis and have the right strategies-- AND-- IF YOU ARE PERSISTENT! :)

-Russ H.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Nicely said, Russ. Perhaps, too well said. I can't come up with any questions!

Ah, but at least I have this much to say. Dr. Ekman has been quoted for saying that after a session of practicing depressed expressions, he would feel depressed. His partner also reported the same thing.

Paul Ekman and... His less profilific partner(s) made a system called FACS- Facial Action Coding System, where they attempted to map out not only every natural expression, but every expression humanly (and sometimes only with assistance) possible...

Not that I'm trying to shift the focus. Just felt a little more substantial proof than nameless scientists was appropriate for the smile thing.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
FD Justin,

Actually, I did that on purpose. :)

One thing I've noticed of late (the past year) on these forums is the due-diligence go-getters are now outnumbered by new folks just getting started.

This is great-- means we have "new blood" that will take over and help others when we are no longer interested in posting (when we cash out and travel the world, I don't plan to make posting here a priority).

Anyways, I was thinking there might be a poster who said, "Hey, I need more info-- TELL ME HOW TO DO THIS!!"

At which point, I would have copied the due diligence stickie.

And I would have included "here, let me google that for you" to show them how easy it was to get more info.

Sounds like you did just that.

My compliments. :tiphat:

-Russ H.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
This may have made me realize one problem for me, when dealing with money in any way. It seems like once money is introduced at all I start to devalue what I have to offer. I don't know how to put it anymore than I think nothing I can do should be worthy of money.

Ex: I refer to myself as a programmer, but the second money is introduced I start to say more things like 'yeah, I can write some code'. Considering money isn't on the table at the moment, I can say I'm pretty good at it, but this would not be the case otherwise.

Mayhap I have some subconscious problem with the idea of money and what not. I feel like if I can do something, then everyone can, so why pay me.

It's funny because everything else I do that I want to change I've incorporated the whole idea of faking til I make it. The most notable being confidence in social situations. I went from being nervous to say 'hi' to people I knew in hall ways to 'volunteering' in times others are too nervous. It's weird because I actually seem to thrive in those times.

It's amazing the difference just faking it has made to get to where I am today though. Ha, just talking about this makes me want to go out and meet new people something I used to be terrified of.... Now I need to get over this stupid anxiety of talking on the phone. Once you remove the person, but keep the talking it makes me the shy person I used to be... blah

Making the conscious effort of pretending to be who you want to be is the most essential part in becoming that person. Until you do that you'll simply resort back to your old habits, which are what makes you who you are. You'll embarrass yourself, but that day when someone mentions that they like 'x' about you and that's what you have been working on it's an amazing feeling.

Now I need to start pretending to be more mindful of how valuable I feel my skills around. Truth be told I've made this assessment of myself without others intervention so I'm most likely shortcoming myself(which I thought about typing this out...). Oh, and that stupid phone anxiety problem. haha

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
[video=youtube_share;lTmhJYCOXEw]http://youtu.be/lTmhJYCOXEw[/video]

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
As long as you're not flat out lying to people, fake it till you make it can work well. The rock band Kiss started out with no money, but built fake plywood Marshall amp stacks on their stage - making it look like they were already high rollers. Sometimes first impression and image is crucial in making the necessary steps of progression towards your goals.

Skys

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Dec 20, 2011
The Netherlands
True change comes from the inside. But, when you realise your ego is nothing but a fabrication of old conditioning, not based on truth, you might realise that you can be whoever you want to be. Recondition yourself: Fake it till you make it.

Great thread.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.