The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expense tracking and a question about what you would do next

Threads with an onging chat or conversation

Coordin

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
277%
Nov 30, 2021
Background: I've recently gained insight into how much freedom I can afford via expense/income tracking. Using just a google sheet and less than 5 minutes a day, I calculated out how much I've been earning in my day-job compared to expenses. Throughout the last couple years, I've managed to save a bit of money (~10k, but it's not entirely relevant to this). A couple days ago, out of frustration with my job, I decided to see how long I could survive (rent, food, etc expenses) when I quit. Which came out to about 4 months (through the end of my lease). Once this month is out, I will have quite a bit of downtime in my day job which could go toward building something, freelancing, maybe some education - while still bringing in a paycheck.

My question: What would you do? Either quit with the 4 month backstop and spend all your energy on the next thing. Or, keep the job, therefore the income, and have a little less time and energy to spend on the next thing until it can support you?

I see this as a risk-tolerance question more than anything. However, I've been getting mixed advice from the people around me, so I wanted you all's perspective.

Thank you! Cheers

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Cano

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Jun 3, 2022
Germany
My question: What would you do? Either quit with the 4 month backstop and spend all your energy on the next thing. Or, keep the job, therefore the income, and have a little less time and energy to spend on the next thing until it can support you?
make your business pay for you expenses FIRST and then quit the job.

if you asking right now "should i quit my job to start a business" then hell no.

believe me or not but the time after work is enough.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I have done this many times, 3-4 months is enough for me. Quit and go for it I say.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.