The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

24 year lad looking for Advice form Fastlaners & Unscriptee , What you would do If you are at my Situation

Anything related to matters of the mind

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Hey Hi Hello there, i am an 24 year lad, who is looking to seek Advice from you,

My Background : i am living in a tier III city of india, pursuing BCA ( Bachelor of Computer Application ) degree, i am in the 2nd year of BCA. i am single person living at my sister's home, My mom-dad expired in 2016, my father was a farmer and my mother was house wife. at that time i was 18 year old living in a small village. long story short,

As my mom-dad passed, i went through a lot's of ups and down, because we didn't had any saving.

i did small business , sold vegetables on street, flipped used Smartphones, worked in small local xerox center till 2019, At this time i was pursuing Diploma in Computer science, but i dropped out because of financial problems. then in 2020 i sold out a piece of land inherited from Father for ($20,000) and then i took admission in BCA.

And as i got money, then i went into trading stocks, because at that time i thought the only way to make money fast is stock market.

I learnt it, made some grand and then i lost itc because i started trading in derivative market. after loosing all profit and my personal $2000 i knew this is not the way to get rich for me, at least for now. because i was competing with professionals who had decades of experience in fishing retail traders with heavy setups.

then i got to know about Monish pabrai. i started watching his videos which he uploads on his foundation channel ( Dakshana Foundation ). in those videos he gave speech and shares his experience and journey with students of dakshana, which are kids of farmers as they give admission to only poor people. then i start resonating with his advice, and i thought if i also follow the path of get your degree, then get job and when you get job then start executing your business ideas, i was living with this approach from last 10 months

Monish pabrai said in his video, if you want start your business then read this two books, when you are in 3rd year of collage

1st How to get Rich by Felix Dennis
2nd The origion and evolution of new businesses by Amr Bhide

I googled about both auther, I picked up felix Dennis, because he himslef had build the business from nothing
And I kept Amar Bhide aside for that time.. Felix opend my eyes..

in last month, i read TMF and The Great Rat Race Escape and i calculated my Escape Number (which is $20 M), i started to fill like what the hell i am doing, i am an 24 year old with a laptop and internet connection, and still not earning a single penny, i don't have an responsibilities all i need to do only take care of myself still i am not taking risk and not building a thing which will pay me asymmetrically.

Now i have enough money to sustain myself for next 3 years, with no responsibilities, as i am living at my sister's home ( my monthly expense is $50 )
and i have 2.5 Acers Land on my name worth $60,000 .

so here's the Situation :

At the moment i have three choices

1st Choice) Continue collage, get degree and then get a job ( $303.32/month salary (enugh for a single person to live comfortably), as what they offer to a freshers passed out form tier III collages , in IT industry, and then they take it to $1000/month in next 3 years)

2nd Choice) fu*k the degree, start executing on Ideas and build business ( physical or online business)

3rd Choice) continue collage just appear for exam's, and start building media business. ( youtube channel )

My Skills are Coding , Youtube and Communication in english

As most of student/people in India are not able to speak in english and Communicate , I see Communicating in english as my skill.

As i have learnt Html and Css3 and bit of Javascript 2 years ago, and from last year i haven't coded a single line as i was completely in the trading stocks.

And since last 5 years i am consuming youtube heavily, now i know what type of videos get's views on youtube, what type of thumbnail gets clicked on, and which style of editing keeps the viewer hooked, i Started 2 youtube channels earlier but i just copied others their, not adding any value to the viewer, but now i have spot the niche where i can build my business and there are only handful of providers for such type of content and ton of auidence.

i don't just want to live for 100 years running for money

So here i am asking for Advice what should i do in such situation, Throw some wisdom on me i need it desperately.

@Johnny boy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

DavidePaco00

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jul 27, 2022
Hey Hi Hello there, i am an 24 year lad, who is looking to seek Advice from you,

My Background : i am living in a tier III city of india, pursuing BCA ( Bachelor of Computer Application ) degree, i am in the 2nd year of BCA. i am single person living at my sister's home, My mom-dad expired in 2016, my father was a farmer and my mother was house wife. at that time i was 18 year old living in a small village. long story short,

As my mom-dad passed, i went through a lot's of ups and down, because we didn't had any saving.

i did small business , sold vegetables on street, flipped used Smartphones, worked in small local xerox center till 2019, At this time i was pursuing Diploma in Computer science, but i dropped out because of financial problems. then in 2020 i sold out a piece of land inherited from Father for ($20,000) and then i took admission in BCA.

And as i got money, then i went into trading stocks, because at that time i thought the only way to make money fast is stock market.

I learnt it, made some grand and then i lost itc because i started trading in derivative market. after loosing all profit and my personal $2000 i knew this is not the way to get rich for me, at least for now. because i was competing with professionals who had decades of experience in fishing retail traders with heavy setups.

then i got to know about Monish pabrai. i started watching his videos which he uploads on his foundation channel ( Dakshana Foundation ). in those videos he gave speech and shares his experience and journey with students of dakshana, which are kids of farmers as they give admission to only poor people. then i start resonating with his advice, and i thought if i also follow the path of get your degree, then get job and when you get job then start executing your business ideas, i was living with this approach from last 10 months

Monish pabrai said in his video, if you want start your business then read this two books, when you are in 3rd year of collage

I googled about both auther, I picked up felix Dennis, because he himslef had build the business from nothing

in last month, i read TMF and The Great Rat Race Escape and i calculated my Escape Number (which is $20 M), i started to fill like what the hell i am doing, i am an 24 year old with a laptop and internet connection, and still not earning a single penny, i don't have an responsibilities all i need to do only take care of myself still i am not taking risk and not building a thing which will pay me asymmetrically.

Now i have enough money to sustain myself for next 3 years, with no responsibilities, as i am living at my sister's home ( my monthly expense is $50 )

1st Choice) Continue collage, get degree and then get a job ( $303.32/month salary (enugh for a single person to live comfortably), as what they offer to a freshers passed out form tier III collages , in IT industry, and then they take it to $1000/month in next 3 years)

2nd Choice) fu*k the degree, start executing on Ideas and build business ( physical or online business)

3rd Choice) continue collage just appear for exam's, and start building media business. ( youtube channel )

As most of student/people in India are not able to speak in english and Communicate , I see Communicating in english as my skill.

As i have learnt Html and Css3 and bit of Javascript 2 years ago, and from last year i haven't coded a single line as i was completely in the trading stocks.

And since last 5 years i am consuming youtube heavily, now i know what type of videos get's views on youtube, what type of thumbnail gets clicked on, and which style of editing keeps the viewer hooked, i Started 2 youtube channels earlier but i just copied others their, not adding any value to the viewer, but now i have spot the niche where i can build my business and there are only handful of providers for such type of content and ton of auidence.

So here i am asking for Advice what should i do in such situation, Throw some wisdom on me i need it desperately.
"As most of student/people in India are not able to speak in english and Communicate , I see Communicating in english as my skill."

Have you though about studying the opportunity of making a good english course online?

It's a big project, maybe it's not for a complete begineer, but try to see if Your market needs that, what your competitor's flaws are and what can You bring to the marketplace

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022

If you read the books you should know that the right questions to ask are: What painful (to consumers or businesses) problem exists? Can I deliver the best solutions to these problems. After you will find solutions to these problems you should think about how you will do it.

Robdavis

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom

Have you considered enrolling in Fox's Web School to start your own Web Design Business?
Try reading these for more info:

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Have you though about studying the opportunity of making a good english course online?

It's a big project, maybe it's not for a complete begineer, but try to see if Your market needs that, what your competitor's flaws are and what can You bring to the marketplace

Ohh my god, this never came in my mind, hey @DavidePaco00 thanks for it, I'll research on it & will get into it..

Thanku you, your time is valuable and you gave some of it, to me

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Have you considered enrolling in Fox's Web School to start your own Web Design Business?
I considered it once, yes I had read the 1st & 2nd thread a week ago, and I am going to read the 3rd one now,

Thanks for sharing it @Robdavis .

I don't know what's holding me back, to enter in web design, but I have considered it

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022

@Johnny boy
Here are some more suggestions:
If you are going to be employee then go with choice 1, because a proof of formal education (diploma) is required by employers, otherwise go with options 2,3.

Here is what I would do in your situation.
I would use the land as an asset and build recession proof business based on the following options:
a) farming (food is a basic need, so always will be demand);
b) leasing the land to other farmers or big agricultural corporation;
c) build cheap housing and rent it out (it help a lot of people ).

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Here are some more suggestions:
If you are going to be employee then go with choice 1, because a proof of formal education (diploma) is required by employers, otherwise go with options 2,3.

Here is what I would do in your situation.
I would use the land as an asset and build recession proof business based on the following options:
a) farming (food is a basic need, so always will be demand);
b) leasing the land to other farmers or big agricultural corporation;
c) build cheap housing and rent it out (it help a lot of people ).

Ya yes if I want to play it safe then I need to have a formal education to land on a job. I can use job as an insurance

I leased out the land a month ago

Thanks for sharing your thought on this @Practic it helped me,

Practic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 29, 2022
Ya yes if I want to play it safe then I need to have a formal education to land on a job. I can use job as an insurance

I leased out the land a month ago

Thanks for sharing your thought on this @Practic it helped me,

"Thanks for sharing your thought on this @Practic it helped me,"

You are welcome!

"I leased out the land a month ago"

You are entrepreneur now. My congratulations!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

@Johnny boy
"Grow what you know."

If you can grow YouTube channels then what about getting paid to help grow other people's YouTube channels? That way you get paid to learn, get paid to gain experience, and get paid to get better at growing your own channels.

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
Regarding the school, a STEM degree can be very useful in today's world. But don't attend school just to get the paper. If you're going to study, do it properly.

After you finish, you can get a remote job abroad for at least x10 the amount you've said you can make locally in your country. You can then use this money to put food on the table and fuel your business.

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
"Grow what you know."

If you can grow YouTube channels then what about getting paid to help grow other people's YouTube channels? That way you get paid to learn, get paid to gain experience, and get paid to get better at growing your own channels.

Thanku @Andy Black it's making sense to me, this a considerable choice for me

To do what I know, grow and also get paid while learning it, and building my thing.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanku @Andy Black it's making sense to me, this a considerable choice for me

To do what I know, grow and also get paid while learning it, and building my thing.
Post here what you think would help my YouTube channel. I currently use YouTube as free hosting for videos I then link people to. I know I could do so much more.

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Regarding the school, a STEM degree can be very useful in today's world. But don't attend school just to get the paper. If you're going to study, do it properly.

After you finish, you can get a remote job abroad for at least x10 the amount you've said you can make locally in your country. You can then use this money to put food on the table and fuel your business.

This seems a logical choice to me, and one that is suitable to my current situation,

Ya if I choose this option then I'll focus on learning about the field and gathering knowledge which can eventually land me on a remote job abroad.. I'll focus on school

And then I can use those money to fund my venture,

this way I'll get a good wife also in future, means I'll get more option to choose, and I'll choose one, who shares fastlane mindset and wants to live as an Unscriptee. That way I will have the partner at my side

But, the only confusion with this option is
If I kept doing collage and aquiring skills necessary to land on a remote job abroad.

Then I'll not be able to give my time to build a business side by side,

I need to think on it a more, as my exam are going now I'll give it thought after my exams get over..

Thanku @heavy_industry

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Post here what you think would help my YouTube channel. I currently use YouTube as free hosting for videos I then link people to. I know I could do so much more.
Sure @Andy Black , I'll need to check your channel to see what kind of videos you post there and how it presented and who is the target audience.

It's been only month I joined the forum,so I am not totally aware about your services sir, could you please share the link of your YT channel , just give me some mins I'll post my thoughts here sir

Last edited:

heavy_industry

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
541%
Apr 17, 2022
But, the only confusion with this option is
If I kept doing collage and aquiring skills necessary to land on a remote job abroad.

Then I'll not be able to give my time to build a business side by side,
No, that's a bad way of thinking and here's why:

As a business person, one of the core skills you need to master is time and energy management. By attending school and then work while building a business on the side, you are automatically going to train this skill.

You will also learn how to be disciplined, how to be competent, how to get work done on time, and how to approach things methodically. Those skills are invaluable. If you start a business without them you are setting yourself up for failure.

As soon as the business takes off, yes, by all means: quit everything else and focus on the business.

But most businesses have an exponential growth curve.
Which means little to no revenue for a long period of time, followed by a "sudden" massive increase in revenue. That's when you quit the job.

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
No, that's a bad way of thinking and here's why:

As a business person, one of the core skills you need to master is time and energy management. By attending school and then work while building a business on the side, you are automatically going to train this skill.

You will also learn how to be disciplined, how to be competent, how to get work done on time, and how to approach things methodically. Those skills are invaluable. If you start a business without them you are setting yourself up for failure.

As soon as the business takes off, yes, by all means: quit everything else and focus on the business.

But most businesses have an exponential growth curve.
Which means little to no revenue for a long period of time, followed by a "sudden" massive increase in revenue. That's when you quit the job.

Oh no I was looking at it by wrong mindset,
Thanku for this sir, I got the your point

as I will start executing on business side & clg side at the same time

I'll get to know what kind of work ethics and discipline it takes to build business and do the clg side, & will learn the those valuable skills in the process

And then I'll be ready to jump on it as a experienced person

And I will not be concerned about how to bring food on table, as I will have the job paying for it.

I am so privIleged that I have access to get adviced from fastlaner's

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sure @Andy Black , I'll need to check your channel to see what kind of videos you post there and how it presented and who is the target audience.

It's been only month I joined the forum,so I am not totally aware about your services sir, could you please share the link of your YT channel , just give me some mins I'll post my thoughts here sir
My YT channel should be linked to at www.andyblack.net

Don't go overboard. Just give a few bullet point thoughts. "Show, don't tell" your expertise.

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
My YT channel should be linked to at www.andyblack.net

Don't go overboard. Just give a few bullet point thoughts. "Show, don't tell" your expertise.

Sure sir, you have the more experience than my age & you know the things a lot lot better than me,

but here are my few bullet point thoughts,

1) we can change the style of presentation sir and can make it more engaging, or can add some humour.

2) we can Add Thumbnail's to the Videos, so will improve the probability of clicks.

3) and some minor changes like adding an background music to videos, after every 10-20 sec there should be some changes in the videos, we can add some effect like, zoom in-out etc.. so people can stay in the video ( ya your most of videos are tutorials, but we can make it more engaging)

4) and for Shorts, we could add text one by one as you speak, instead of placing it at once. & sorry to say this sir, i may be wrong, but according to me you need to improve on your facial expression while speaking at camera, because it feels like you have some other things to do and you are just making this video in a hurry.

that's all my little mind think's sir,

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sure sir, you have the more experience than my age & you know the things a lot lot better than me,

but here are my few bullet point thoughts,

1) we can change the style of presentation sir and can make it more engaging, or can add some humour.

2) we can Add Thumbnail's to the Videos, so will improve the probability of clicks.

3) and some minor changes like adding an background music to videos, after every 10-20 sec there should be some changes in the videos, we can add some effect like, zoom in-out etc.. so people can stay in the video ( ya your most of videos are tutorials, but we can make it more engaging)

4) and for Shorts, we could add text one by one as you speak, instead of placing it at once. & sorry to say this sir, i may be wrong, but according to me you need to improve on your facial expression while speaking at camera, because it feels like you have some other things to do and you are just making this video in a hurry.

that's all my little mind think's sir,
Love it.

Yeah, thumbnails would help, and making the tutorials a bit more engaging.

I also don't particularly like my Short videos even though I get good feedback on them. I'm not used to using a telemprompter so it's lost my normal facial expressions and way of speaking. I'm doing it to keep the video shorter, which is what people have liked, but maybe at the expense of personality.

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Love it.

Yeah, thumbnails would help, and making the tutorials a bit more engaging.

I also don't particularly like my Short videos even though I get good feedback on them. I'm not used to using a telemprompter so it's lost my normal facial expressions and way of speaking. I'm doing it to keep the video shorter, which is what people have liked, but maybe at the expense of personality.
I am greatful you loved it.

Ya sir it's a best choice to give, Create what people want & like to watch

Nildkd

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 10, 2023

@Johnny boy
Hey
Where are you from in india?
I'm also an Indian. where can we connect and talk better.

Last edited:

Fastlane_boy

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Nov 14, 2022
india
Hey
Where are you from in india?
I'm also an Indian. where can we connect and talk better.
hey @Nildkd i am happy that you are from india,
i've sent you an my insta id, msg me there we can talk there

see you there...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads