- Joined
- Dec 6, 2014
- Messages
- 95
Rep Bank
$705
$705
User Power: 164%
Firstly, let me start of with...I'm not intending to sound arrogant in this post, its more I need help/advice from people who may have been in this situation and secondly if this is the wrong forum category I'm sorry but I felt Mindset was appropriate.
Background: I have had a real rollercoaster of a life. My younger brother was diagnosed with a life long illness at a young age which took all of us by surprise and changed our lives forever. Our parents got divorced a few years later (8-10 years, the divorce was a nasty one) and as a result my health took a serious decline (I'm still ill to this day, even the best antibiotic for my illness is now useless). At 17 I was broke, I flat out had nothing (no one in my life knows this), my parents had very little as well. I'd consider myself middle-class prior to this.
I am now 22 years old, finishing off university, and I'm struggling more than ever to keep it together. I've gone from being broke to now being able to buy anything I want but I keep coming back to the feeling of being empty and unhappy. I bought things (won't say what) that most people could only dream off, I have the ability to never work a 9 to 5 if I choose but for some reason it's never enough. I used to dream of owning certain things, when I got them...no emotional change. I didn't feel content, I didn't feel happy, I didn't feel like it made a single difference.
I always put conditions to my happiness like; If I make X million's ill be happy? It came but the happiness didn't.
If I buy X car I'll be happy! The car came, the happiness didn't.
Now I'm working to change my mindset but I'm struggling. My health is declining and now I've put a condition on my happiness that goes; If i'm healthy i'll be happy...I'm not sure I'll ever be healthy again BUT from experience I probably wont be any more happy even if I do become healthy.
My last resort is focusing on a positive outlook of life, regardless of whats going on/how I feel.
Only happy thoughts.
Does anyone have any suggestions/books for this? I prefer audiobooks!
I wanted to post this because I'm sure a lot of people are focusing on chasing money or some financial reward to bring them happiness. Believe me, it doesn't bring that much happiness if you sacrifice so much to get it and if you put conditions on your happiness you'll end up chasing it forever. Thankfully I'm only 22 so I'm trying to change...but I'm only just starting.
Sorry for the emotionalish post
If people are interested I'll keep updates.
Background: I have had a real rollercoaster of a life. My younger brother was diagnosed with a life long illness at a young age which took all of us by surprise and changed our lives forever. Our parents got divorced a few years later (8-10 years, the divorce was a nasty one) and as a result my health took a serious decline (I'm still ill to this day, even the best antibiotic for my illness is now useless). At 17 I was broke, I flat out had nothing (no one in my life knows this), my parents had very little as well. I'd consider myself middle-class prior to this.
I am now 22 years old, finishing off university, and I'm struggling more than ever to keep it together. I've gone from being broke to now being able to buy anything I want but I keep coming back to the feeling of being empty and unhappy. I bought things (won't say what) that most people could only dream off, I have the ability to never work a 9 to 5 if I choose but for some reason it's never enough. I used to dream of owning certain things, when I got them...no emotional change. I didn't feel content, I didn't feel happy, I didn't feel like it made a single difference.
I always put conditions to my happiness like; If I make X million's ill be happy? It came but the happiness didn't.
If I buy X car I'll be happy! The car came, the happiness didn't.
Now I'm working to change my mindset but I'm struggling. My health is declining and now I've put a condition on my happiness that goes; If i'm healthy i'll be happy...I'm not sure I'll ever be healthy again BUT from experience I probably wont be any more happy even if I do become healthy.
My last resort is focusing on a positive outlook of life, regardless of whats going on/how I feel.
Only happy thoughts.
Does anyone have any suggestions/books for this? I prefer audiobooks!
I wanted to post this because I'm sure a lot of people are focusing on chasing money or some financial reward to bring them happiness. Believe me, it doesn't bring that much happiness if you sacrifice so much to get it and if you put conditions on your happiness you'll end up chasing it forever. Thankfully I'm only 22 so I'm trying to change...but I'm only just starting.
Sorry for the emotionalish post
If people are interested I'll keep updates.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
