The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

I don't ever want to go back!

AmazingLarry

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Jul 4, 2019
Hi Everyone! I signed up for the forum yesterday after lurking for a while, and I just wanted to introduce myself and share my current situation.

I'm 29, and from the northeast US. I have a degree in mechanical engineering, and I worked for a few years designing machines & tools at a small company, then worked for a few years at a big defense/aerospace company. I got really lucky and ended up working in a cool environment with some awesome guys my age, but the corporate life still killed me inside. The performance reviews, being an ant at a giant corporation, doing meaningless work half the time, staring at the cubicle wall sweating my a$$ off with anxiety thinking about how I'm wasting my life here. I saw how the work life at the rest of the company was even worse, and it scared the hell out me thinking I would never leave.

Anyway, about a year ago I left my fancy engineering job and moved halfway around the world with my wife, who is a teacher. It was a little nerve wracking, but I knew it was now or never, and I didn't want to pass up the adventure of life in another country. I was able to work out an arrangement with my first job, where I work part time remotely doing design work and CNC programming. I don't earn nearly as much, but I'm location independent and make more per hour, so I have more time for other pursuits and still have plenty of money left over to travel.

After a few months out of the US, I realized that I wanted to start another project with my spare time. I wanted to get something going quick, so the path of least resistance was to try freelancing. I set up a website and started emailing tons of companies. I've received a good amount of interest and positive responses, but I've only closed a sale with 2 clients so far. I am impatient, so it can be discouraging at times, but it's super exciting to see a payment come in from a complete stranger who values your work. Sometimes this endeavor means waking up at 3 am to make a phone call from the bathroom (so I don't wake up the wife), but overcoming the new challenges is very rewarding. I will be looking through more threads on here about freelancing, and I am open to any suggestions or advice.

Moving to a new country and working remotely / for myself has been awesome, and now that I've had a taste it's made me realize even more that I don't ever want to go back to the soul sucking corporate 9-5 cubicle life. My goal right is to grow this freelancing business enough so that I won't have to get a "real job" when I move home to the US. I'm still trading my time for money, so this isn't the end goal. I have more time now than ever, so I think it's a step in the right direction.

Using the extra time that I now have, I am trying to decide the best path forward. Living in another country, my options are bit limited. Eventually I want to design, build and sell physical products, which I can't do at this time. I'm not sure if I should spend my time here preparing to start a business when I move home (I don't know when), or focus on something that I can do now like a niche blog/affiliate marketing. Any advice would be appreciated! My 1-2 year goal is to make enough so that my wife can leave her job and pursue her dream career in writing.

I'm looking forward to the adventure going forward, and I'm hoping I can contribute in some way to the forum going forward!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...