The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dropping Everything and Moving to Phoenix

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
So it’s been on my mind more and more lately that I would like to escape cold dreary Illinois, to Warm sunny Phoenix.

Illinois is okay, especially in the summer, but the winters are really starting to get to me. The snow, the cold, the lack of sunshine. Plus I’ve been sick almost constantly since December, Which is something people just accept in the winter time in cold areas. I feel like I need a break from this place.

And I really feel like the shitty weather is almost distracting me from my entrepreneurial goals. After a day of being outside in the cold, I just want to come home and plop on the couch, because the cold and snow just seem to drain the energy out of me.

Then there is obviously a high cost of living in illinois, property taxes are pretty much a mortgage payment themselves. It’s hard to find a 1 bedroom apartment ,in even a decent area, for around $1,000 a month here.

I know MJ was basically in the same situation I was, around the same age I am now, and Arizona worked very well for him. I also have other cities like Houston and Miami on my mind too, but something about Phoenix really draws my interest.

Also, not to get political, but I am into firearms and shooting, and Arizona is what you would call a “free” state and has lax gun laws. Illinois isn’t terrible like say NY or California, but this is a bonus of moving there, to me.

But of course, all of my friends and family live here, and it’s not an easy decision to leave and go to a place 2000 miles away where you literally know nobody (Except maybe a few forum members here). I plan to travel light, only bringing what I can fit in my small coupe Toyota. I figure I’ll buy a mattress and anything else I need down there.

I’m also not asking for anyone to make the decision for me, I know it’s up to me and I need to think for my self. I would like some advice from people living in the Phoenix area though.

So besides any rambling and thinking out loud I’ve done above, My question is this:

What are some good areas in and around Phoenix that I should look at? And I guess if anyone has any recommendations on apartments, that would help too.

Any help is appreciated

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Strategery

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Jun 25, 2019
What are some good areas in and around Phoenix that I should look at? And I guess if anyone has any recommendations on apartments, that would help too.
I stayed for a week after Summit and really loved it there, I'm considering moving there myself (because why the F*ck not). I know everyone loves Scottsdale, which is super nice, but I liked Tempe as well. Apartments are high everywhere there (to me at least). You should go check it out for bit and see what you think, there's some cool places to do vacation-y stuff close by, and Sedona is absolutely worth the drive (thanks @SteveO for recommending it).

Edit: They also have these shirts in Phoenix:FD92809D-A64B-4ACD-BBEE-DC67588ED293.jpeg

Last edited:

Not Most People

"If everyone else is doing it, its probably wrong"
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 28, 2019
Scottsdale, AZ
Made the move from CT to Phoenix in Jan 2019 and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Last July, we were lucky to find an off-market rental for under-market pricing in Scottsdale, but before that we enjoyed living in North Phoenix as well. It depends what you're looking for. Scottsdale is probably going to be the most expensive along with select areas of Phoenix. Tempe is nice too and a younger crowd generally speaking. There's also a lot of suburbs that are find to live in as well - Mesa, Gilbert, Glendale, etc.

Shoot me a pm if you have specific questions

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Lot of fastlane members in arizona. I couldnt live in phoenix myself , I remember visiting once and it was 112 degrees at midnight in scottsdale.

We Welcome you with open arms though!

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
Made the move from CT to Phoenix in Jan 2019 and it was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Last July, we were lucky to find an off-market rental for under-market pricing in Scottsdale, but before that we enjoyed living in North Phoenix as well. It depends what you're looking for. Scottsdale is probably going to be the most expensive along with select areas of Phoenix. Tempe is nice too and a younger crowd generally speaking. There's also a lot of suburbs that are find to live in as well - Mesa, Gilbert, Glendale, etc.

Shoot me a pm if you have specific questions

Not Glendale... Fastlaners don't let Fastlaners live in Glendale... :rofl:

The others are good, and I'd add Chandler to the list.

Welcome to the neighborhood @James Klymus

If I were 24, had income and was moving to Phx, I'd move to Tempe first. It is pretty centrally located, and a college town, and 15-20 minutes away from anywhere else cool (except the football stadium, but whatever). If I were 24 and had no income and needed to get a job, I'd find one first, then move somewhere 15 minutes from the job.

And hey, those 30 degrees mornings are our winter. Winter lasts about a week - 10 days. :rofl:

Kepler

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
Mar 4, 2015
Scottsdale
So it’s been on my mind more and more lately that I would like to escape cold dreary Illinois, to Warm sunny Phoenix.

Illinois is okay, especially in the summer, but the winters are really starting to get to me. The snow, the cold, the lack of sunshine. Plus I’ve been sick almost constantly since December, Which is something people just accept in the winter time in cold areas. I feel like I need a break from this place.

And I really feel like the shitty weather is almost distracting me from my entrepreneurial goals. After a day of being outside in the cold, I just want to come home and plop on the couch, because the cold and snow just seem to drain the energy out of me.

Then there is obviously a high cost of living in illinois, property taxes are pretty much a mortgage payment themselves. It’s hard to find a 1 bedroom apartment ,in even a decent area, for around $1,000 a month here.

I know MJ was basically in the same situation I was, around the same age I am now, and Arizona worked very well for him. I also have other cities like Houston and Miami on my mind too, but something about Phoenix really draws my interest.

Also, not to get political, but I am into firearms and shooting, and Arizona is what you would call a “free” state and has lax gun laws. Illinois isn’t terrible like say NY or California, but this is a bonus of moving there, to me.

But of course, all of my friends and family live here, and it’s not an easy decision to leave and go to a place 2000 miles away where you literally know nobody (Except maybe a few forum members here). I plan to travel light, only bringing what I can fit in my small coupe Toyota. I figure I’ll buy a mattress and anything else I need down there.

I’m also not asking for anyone to make the decision for me, I know it’s up to me and I need to think for my self. I would like some advice from people living in the Phoenix area though.

So besides any rambling and thinking out loud I’ve done above, My question is this:

Any help is appreciated
Avoid the west and south side at all costs.

the rest depends on what you want to spend, and what you are looking to have around you.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.