The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dont Follow Your Passion

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
I was reading Facebook news, and saw a posting from entrepreneur featuring dirty jobs Mike Rowe. In the video, he talks about not following your passion, but the opportunities.

Then look at the comments.

It's what separates Mike and the rest of the forum from them.

https://www.facebook.com/EntMagazine/posts/10153236518253896

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

blackhat

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Mar 24, 2015
Wait, I think you are mistaken.

It almost sounds like you are saying I can't start any business I want, doing whatever I think I will enjoy, and expect people to pay for it, regardless of a need existing.

Surely you don't mean that.

Chaseb731

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Oct 8, 2011
For some reason, my phone hates posting in anything other than a Fastlane INSIDERS thread. I should download the app, and do a prior search while I'm at it and post on there, hah.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
its a sad truth... my passion playing the obscure new york city sport called handball, but there's no real money in it...

G

GuestUser140

That herd of commenters thinking they have it all figured out.. they seem to be mindlessly repeating what they read somewhere in an ad. They hear him but don't listen.

This happens all the time. Entrepreneurs are better off giving advice to their own kind only.

People forget a good opportunity can lead to a good business. Good business is fun!

G

GuestUser140

And if it isn't, your passionis probably NOT entrepreneurship.
Exactly.

And when you start with nothing, the daily grind of business seems like such a struggle that you put yourself into because you have to make it.

A necessary evil so to speak.

When you have some capital and stable sales, you're in the clear and the daily grind disappears. You can spend your time thinking slowly, making decisions and strategezing, then making sure it happens, being a true entrepreneur.
At that point you realise this is actually FUN!

Basically, you get to do whatever you want all day, whatever you feel is good for your business. You can do things right now, if you double your sales this month you'll double your income. What's not to like?

Try doing that in a job.. or in a "passion" business that makes $500 a month.

Last edited by a moderator:

eqttrdr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Aug 25, 2013
Take two people with the exact same product, filling the exact same need.

I will 100% of the time buy from the person who is more passionate about the product.

Passion sells, passion is contagious, passion motivates.

D

DeletedUser394

I will 100% of the time buy from the person who is more passionate about the product.

What?

I don't give a hoot about who is selling what. I'm going for the deal that is most advantageous to me.

When you choose Walmart over Target, do you even spend one iota thinking about how 'gee, the Walton family sure is passionate, forget about those Target people'.

Besides,

This whole passion/no passion debate is asinine.

People are primarily selfish creators with their own interests at heart.

I'm passionate about whatever allows me to live the life I want to live. If it's a business that cleans out septic tanks? Great! I'm now passionate about that. I'm passionate about providing my customers with what THEY want. That is what I want. It is all about them.

I literally give zero thought to the owner of a company when I make a purchase. Heck, 99% of the time I don't even know who they are, will never meet them, and simply don't care either way.

You offer me something I want, at a price I'm willing to pay, and that's all I'm interested in as part of the transaction. This is business, not hold hands and sing kumbaya time.

RogueInnovation

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jul 28, 2013
I see it simpler than all this

Running around for money, even if its your passion gets old
Walking around, and doing things that feel good, feels fresh and sparks new passion

Its better to walk with knowledge
Than run with luck

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Im in China with my parents, they want to go sightseeing and all I want to do is visit factories.

I'm not passionate about what the factory makes, I'm passionate about improving, importing and selling.

When I'm on vacation I just want to work. That's what makes work not work.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

:totalbs:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I agree for some situations. If it's for a service in particular.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

How would you know whi is more passionate about the product?

The more passionate person maybe can't take good photos, or write good copy, or code a website.

Maybe if you met the two people in person you can tell.

Problem is that the more passionate person may also have an inferior product over time too as the more skilled person adapts and innovates and also has funds to do R&D.

Peakdesire

Burning Desire to Succeed
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
May 16, 2014
Just find the convergence of your passion and what the marketplace want's and you''ll have a good chance of succeeding.

James Thornton

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Oct 31, 2014

This is actually a valid point IF the conveyance of passion is heavily used in the marketing.

Steve Jobs and Johnny Ives are a good example. Their passion for product design and the Apple movement is what created the famous "reality distortion field." Back then, Macs generally had much weaker specs and less software compatibility than PCs.

With iPhone just now getting 2GB of RAM and a 12MP camera, it's a similar proposition with iOS. The new iPad Pro is much less capable for professional work than a Surface Pro, yet Apple's passion for simplicity and design will have thousands of professionals making big compromises to be a part of the new "Post PC" movement.

It's still the consumer selfishly choosing what they believe is best for them (rightfully so). But when all else is equal or too confusing, the story of a passionate, dedicated, and talented curator can have a lot of influence on that belief. Big brands use storytelling all the time for a reason.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.