The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dealing with a farting dog (Idea? Opportunity?)

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
Someone come up with a way to deal with my dog farting. He sleeps 3 feet away and the farts stink up my room when we don't have the air system running.
He's on probiotic pills but that only helps a little. We tried slow eating bowls and walk him every evening.

Invent something that will silently wisk away his farts, please.

I thought of an air purifier maybe?

Run a low speed vacuum tube from his rear and plumb it outside?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
Best TFF thread title in a long time.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

DVU

In Progress
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
Much as I feel a bit ill, it sure does sound like a need that OP would pay for.

I see his point to some extent but the way he constructed the post just feels like a troll.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
Meanwhile on TheDogForum.Com:

Someone come up with a way to deal with my human farting. He sleeps in his bed 3 feet away and the farts stink up my room when we don't have the air system running.
He's on probiotic pills but that only helps a little. I tried giving him lactose enzyme pills and walking him every evening, but to no avail.

Invent something that will silently wisk away his horrendous farts, please.

I thought of an air purifier maybe?

Run a low speed vacuum tube from his rear and plumb it outside?

PS. Has anyone else experienced a decline in generosity of treats in the last few months? Doesn't he think I'm a good boy anymore?

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
Maybe a pill or treat that can help the dog with gas. Probably not a bonafide solution to the smell but the dog will fart less haha...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
they got fart neutralizing underwear for humans, get one for dogs lol

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I see that a bunch of you are cracking jokes, but I'm confident that this could be a legit problem. So for once I'm taking this seriously.

I'm looking into internal deodorants for people and apparently this is a thing where you can take a pill to 'deodorize' your farts. I wondered if it'll work on dogs, or more importantly not harmful towards dogs.

So I found the active ingredient which is Bismuth Subgalate. I found this nih study that its not harmful towards dogs, Bismuth subgallate as a topical haemostatic agent at the palatal wounds: a histologic study in dogs. - PubMed - NCBI . So thats a positive step forward.

You can buy it powdered here, Bismuth subgallate 1075622 .

Humans require 200mg of this stuff in a pill. So for large dogs I'll cut it in half to be safe so 100mg in each treat and cut it down proportionally by weight . You could brand it as a fart deodorant and mark it up pretty high.

Brand, Design, Market and then profit ;)

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
If this was my dog I would try a new high quality food.

Anything else is just masking the issue.

That's you, but how many people would rather to take the easy way out and just pay for the deodorizing treats instead of changing the food. People do it all the time for themselves, why are their pets different?

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
That's you, but how many people would rather to take the easy way out and just pay for the deodorizing treats instead of changing the food. People do it all the time for themselves, why are their pets different?
I’m completely agree. I wanted to address OP’s issue with a personal recommendation.

As for a product idea, just look at dental hygiene chews like Dentastix for a similar proof of concept. There is definitely a potential market for doggy anti butt-stink.

This idea isn’t limited to dogs with chronic issues either. A lot of times dogs will get gas from eating something they shouldn’t, like table scraps or cat food. So if this is an occasional issue for someone, throwing your dog some canine Gas-X could be a godsend.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Guys! Be serious. This is free business idea, I bet everyone's dog farts, audience for this product is massive. Create "Dog fart Vacuumer 9000" and make explosive wealth!

My dog doesn't fart.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
dog fart ionizer

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
My dog doesn't fart.
First time I heard of this happening for a dog. I have relatives who are dog lovers, and farting was never one of the canines' problems.

I'm thinking the farting problem is very similar to us humans as well.

There are folks among us who break wind significantly enough to have the whole room in pandemonium.:) If I can remember a bit from reading, its perfectly ok to fart, but if it happens too often or too smelly, chances are, it might be a dietary problem.

Generally speaking, if you eat too much meat or carbs, the winds get stormy. Wonder if the dogs have to switch to more vegan options, then. :smuggy: The probiotics might do little work in the first place.

OP, have you seen the vet again? Just to be sure of any methods you could have taken?

MTEE1985

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
425%
Jun 12, 2018
Arizona
I can’t wait for my weekly “most popular topics” email showing dog farting being a top thread.

Likely a dietary issue, if you’d like a free solution...take your dog outside your bedroom, shut bedroom door.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
You must teach him the hard way, that actions have consequences.

Like this guy did...

So, based on his technique, maybe buy a cage, put the dog in the case and fart into the cage.

Veloman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Feb 10, 2018
Austin
I'm 100% serious and this is one of a few rare things that need addressing in my life.

We only feed our dogs high quality food. Maybe we could try a different recipe I guess. Our other dogs rarely ever fart.

Keeping him in a different room is not an option. He wants to be near us and will scratch at the door constantly. My wife also would not like to exclude him like that.

This is a legit idea. Just google it. Tons of people have tried to come up with solutions.

I posted it because I want to see a real solution that works.

Maybe it does come down to diet, however. I will try other high quality recipes.

Last edited:

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
Tell the dog to stop eating at Wendy's. That's what did it for me.

In all seriousness though, dog nutrition program to end farting. Info product plus the opportunity to sell supplements.

ChrisV

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
May 10, 2015
Islands of Calleja
I can’t wait for my weekly “most popular topics” email showing dog farting being a top thread.

:thumbsup:

no but in all seriousness this title was the most effective clickbait I’ve seen in a while lol .. i don’t think many people are gonna skim past this and not click

Last edited:

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
On top of neutralizing the smell. We need to neutralize the actual whooshing fart sound itself because:

1) A silent fart accompanied with no apparent smell gives many people anxiety. A movie with no closing, a cliffhanger, a lit firework that never went off in the trashcan, etc.. The fart gases still exist in the air (smell or no smell) and people fear the unknown.

2) Owner's legs exposure. Many times, an spontaneous rush of air hitting our legs is the only sign we know nitrogen has been released by our dog.

So I propose the following solutions:

a) We put a discreet 3 stage tube extending after the smell filters. Similar to how silencers on guns work but lower profile (think like size of chewing tobacco can)
b) We put a small red LED that will blink anytime air passes through it including a small counter with LED number displayed.
c) We make it into a monthly subscription box service.

jon.M

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Jul 4, 2016
Sweden
On top of neutralizing the smell. We need to neutralize the actual whooshing fart sound itself because:

1) A silent fart accompanied with no apparent smell gives many people anxiety. A movie with no closing, a cliffhanger, a lit firework that never went off in the trashcan, etc.. The fart gases still exist in the air (smell or no smell) and people fear the unknown.

2) Owner's legs exposure. Many times, an spontaneous rush of air hitting our legs is the only sign we know nitrogen has been released by our dog.

So I propose the following solutions:

a) We put a discreet 3 stage tube extending after the smell filters. Similar to how silencers on guns work but lower profile (think like size of chewing tobacco can)
b) We put a small red LED that will blink anytime air passes through it including a small counter with LED number displayed.
c) We make it into a monthly subscription box service.

Go on Shark Tank, Mark Cuban's gonna love this business model.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Sounds like you're feeding him garbage. Garbage in, garbage out.

Kinda like asking to solve your obesity problem without addressing the 10 Pepsi's you drink daily.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Yea, I had to change the thread title so it isn't so ridiculous. Because on a cursory look, it does sound ridiculous.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.