The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dead-End Sh*t Jobs ... Yours?

MKHB

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
151%
Jun 26, 2015
Wow, some decent stuff there-- at least it makes for a nice resume.

"The greater the resume - the more miserable the candidate."

Thick face, black heart... how you do anything, is how you do everything.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

Deleted20833

Hired for 8 months as a "market researcher" calling customers to fill out satisfactory surveys for large corporations like Toyota

Most people were happy to fill out the survey, what got me fired was the constant texting or so they say

I was "popular" with the hot chicks that worked there (I was 18 and the women were like in their mid 20's) and when the 4 managers working in that office noticed...they started watching me with an eagle eye

Every little mistake I did was noted until it stacked up enough for them to have a reason to fire me

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Guest Services at New York Aquarium
ripping tickets for nonstop for hours neverending line... pointing people to bathroom 100 times a day... and still required to smile... i did get to see behind the scenes deep sea 3D ride lol... my friend working there would turn off one of the moving seats on a steep drop and the customer would be like WTF happened LMAOOOO!!!!!!
this was first job and when i first got the impression something's not right.... Got laid off when started college and started volunteering to leave early every day...

Summer teaching assistant at chinese american planning council
this was allright i guess... watched students, got free school lunch, went on trips with them, collected check.

Summer office assistant at chinese american planning council
All i remember is filling out a boring a$$ excel data entry sheet and eating all their rice crispies and bread sticks......

Cosi delivery boy
sigh... not the worst since i didn't deal with customers in the store, was a little fun rolling cart with food around lower new york city area, delivering food to buildings on broadway and around the new not yet built world trade center. One time i entered through the front of building and some lady in there looked at me like I was plague ridden... doorman told me where the back entrance was lol... got 60 dollar tip once... Then i just stopped showing up once i got a better job

Champion learning center tutor
This was the best summer job ever, i made my own hours, 15 dollars and hour untaxes, i was basically a contract worker tutoring kids in their homes and it was free for them too because government funded!
Was gonna do it next year too BUT THE SEQUESTER HAPPENED and government funding for tutoring got cut. F*ck the US congress, they F*cked me directly and didn't touch their own 200k+ salaries... figures...

Cosi part 2
turns out i was still in the system and i just showed up one day and could keep working lol... so did that for a little while but not always delivery, was a mix of things all crappy... making sandwiches... cleaning... bla bla bla... dont know how i quit this time.. probably dissapeared again...

Off the books construction
This job was at least MANLY. I carried heavy shit all F*ckin day and was more energized after an 8 hour shift then i ever was. I needed the money too... landlord was suing us for 6k unpaid rent and we were suing him for lead in the apartment... glad all that's over now... Too bad the job wasn't consistent so i had to find new work...

Fresh Direct Freezer
mixed feelings... long travel times, had to get new clean white uniform every time im there, had to bring winter clothes during blazing summer... weighing food in plastic container and making 80 of them was MIND NUMBING and F*ckin COLD. But carrying the crates wasn't so bad, at least it was physical labor. I savored my 30 minute lunch break where i got free tea and milk, sat in the warm lunch room and contemplated my life... Quit when i finally got my office job.

Litigation support analyst
my "reward" for 5 years of college. on my way home from fresh direct bumped into neighbor who worked at the litigation company. He took my resume, i got interviewed and got job. Still here after 2 years, only job where i lasted over 4 months, currently writing this post on work computer this early sunday afternoon. I get a lot of down time so i can work on my apps, it was at this job i finally realized that no job was gonna make me happy because it's not the job, it's the 9-5 work, pay bills, rinse and repeat cycle that was gonna be the end of me...

Johnny_Hopkins

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Jul 10, 2015
Michigan
1. Airport Baggage Handler
2. UPS Driver Helper
3. K-Mart Associate
4. Dollar General Associate
5. UPS Driver Helper
6. GM Design Intern
7. UPS Driver Helper
8. Chrysler Engineer
9. Dunham's Associate
10. Automotive Supplier Test Engineer (current)

Even though I'm not a fan of anything on this list (at the time, I was super excited for the slowlane internship because I thought I was a step closer to "making it") I've tried to make the best of them and at least learn SOMETHING that I could apply to running a business and learn good customer service skills.

Dwight Schrute

Ludicrous Speed
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Oct 27, 2014
where eagles dare
  • Landscaping
Hard labor from sunrise till it goes down again for minimum payment.

Had a shitty boss, often bitchy clients, and
I had to routinely mow public lawns where dogs weren't allowed to poop, but still pooped.

Result: A pissed off Dwight with shit in his face.

• Drug analyzing service
I thought that was a good idea. False!

Working on a stand at a festival, checking people's drugs for purity,
for no payment but a free ticket.

It was only three days, but I swear if anyone ever asks me again
"Do you also sell?" with a stupid grin in their face I'll go berserk and explode.

Last edited:

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I won't lie and I hate to tell people this b/c they get the wrong idea on first read.

However, 10 years ago I stopped counting my jobs when I hit 60 jobs ( I was 27 at the time ).

Granted, a lot of the positions I had were actually 2nd or 3rd jobs. Jobs where I was working full time at 2 jobs at once, or full time at 1 and part-time at 2 others at the same time.

Some of the worst ones:

1. Fed Ex package handler
2. Working at Six Flags as a ride operator
3. Tennis Court helper ( pro shop assistant, cleaning up the court, etc )
4. Mail room at a major bank
5. Washing cars at a dealership
6. Call center rep at a major health insurance provider
7. Sales calls in a boiler room type operation.
8. Having to clean a wood shop daily 2-3x a day
9. Working in a warehouse with no heat or air, wrapping copiers all day long with plastic wrap.
10. Code monkey for a small agency that couldn't pay their bills.

All in all, I've been fired a total of 3 times and laid off 5 times ( what's odd is these lay offs all happened within 5 years time too ). The rest I quit at different times. At 37 now, I would probably put the total number at now maybe 75 total.

Mainly, I used each job to get experience and leverage their pay into the next job. I would work a job ( or 2 ) until I found another job that paid more. I didn't care what the job was, I was in search of the all promising dollar. Sooo... if I needed to make $15 dollars an hour to live ( remember, I was like 19 at the time ) I would work 2 $7.50 jobs until I found 1 $15 or $16 dollar an hour job.

When that 1 $15 dollar an hour job no longer suited me, I'd find a part time job to bump my living standards. Maybe this part-time job paid $10 an hour, which totals now ( depending on hours ) roughly $20-21 an hour.

At this level though, you start entering jobs that are salaried.. so I started finding a salaried job that would pay me at least $40k to -$45k a year when I needed a bump in lifestyle again.

If you keep rinsing and repeating this process, you at some point end up in the high 80's ( 85k+ a year ) before you run into issues with needing to have a college degree ( which I didn't ) or being in management ( Director, VP ) which I honestly didn't want. I ended up being in IT/Web stuff, so this level of pay in another industry might be hard to come by unless you do have a degree already.

At this level its hard to keep your higher end salaried job and also take on a side gig, but it can be done if you need another boost in lifestyle. I did it for years at this level and it slowly grinded me down.

It was then I realized I needed to do my own thing and build a business to get me to the next level I demanded and break into 7 figures a year and stop playing the job market for 5 figures a year.

What did I learn from all of it?

After working a ton of different jobs, for different people, in different industries, at different pay scales... I learned that any JOB I work is DEAD END and shit.

Working for myself is by far the only thing that isn't DEAD END or shit. The pay, benefits, income, title is all irrelevant in a JOB.

If I needed to, I'd rather learn to live on $30k a year with total freedom then live on $100k tied to a desk and someone else's future.

Think about that for a second.

Of course, someone out there has an awesome JOB they love and might be reading this and disagree. I just want to tell them, what do they have to compare it to?

Last edited:

Grok

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
115%
Jul 14, 2015
Apache junction
I won't lie and I hate to tell people this b/c they get the wrong idea on first read.

However, 10 years ago I stopped counting my jobs when I hit 60 jobs ( I was 27 at the time ).

Granted, a lot of the positions I had were actually 2nd or 3rd jobs. Jobs where I was working full time at 2 jobs at once, or full time at 1 and part-time at 2 others at the same time.

Some of the worst ones:

1. Fed Ex package handler
2. Working at Six Flags as a ride operator
3. Tennis Court helper ( pro shop assistant, cleaning up the court, etc )
4. Mail room at a major bank
5. Washing cars at a dealership
6. Call center rep at a major health insurance provider
7. Sales calls in a boiler room type operation.
8. Having to clean a wood shop daily 2-3x a day
9. Working in a warehouse with no heat or air, wrapping copiers all day long with plastic wrap.
10. Code monkey for a small agency that couldn't pay their bills.

All in all, I've been fired a total of 3 times and laid off 5 times ( what's odd is these lay offs all happened within 5 years time too ). The rest I quit at different times. At 37 now, I would probably put the total number at now maybe 75 total.

Mainly, I used each job to get experience and leverage their pay into the next job. I would work a job ( or 2 ) until I found another job that paid more. I didn't care what the job was, I was in search of the all promising dollar. Sooo... if I needed to make $15 dollars an hour to live ( remember, I was like 19 at the time ) I would work 2 $7.50 jobs until I found 1 $15 or $16 dollar an hour job.

When that 1 $15 dollar an hour job no longer suited me, I'd find a part time job to bump my living standards. Maybe this part-time job paid $10 an hour, which totals now ( depending on hours ) roughly $20-21 an hour.

At this level though, you start entering jobs that are salaried.. so I started finding a salaried job that would pay me at least $40k to -$45k a year when I needed a bump in lifestyle again.

If you keep rinsing and repeating this process, you at some point end up in the high 80's ( 85k+ a year ) before you run into issues with needing to have a college degree ( which I didn't ) or being in management ( Director, VP ) which I honestly didn't want. I ended up being in IT/Web stuff, so this level of pay in another industry might be hard to come by unless you do have a degree already.

At this level its hard to keep your higher end salaried job and also take on a side gig, but it can be done if you need another boost in lifestyle. I did it for years at this level and it slowly grinded me down.

It was then I realized I needed to do my own thing and build a business to get me to the next level I demanded and break into 7 figures a year and stop playing the job market for 5 figures a year.

What did I learn from all of it?

After working a ton of different jobs, for different people, in different industries, at different pay scales... I learned that any JOB I work is DEAD END and shit.

Working for myself is by far the only thing that isn't DEAD END or shit. The pay, benefits, income, title is all irrelevant in a JOB.

If I needed to, I'd rather learn to live on $30k a year with total freedom then live on $100k tied to a desk and someone else's future.

Think about that for a second.

Of course, someone out there has an awesome JOB they love and might be reading this and disagree. I just want to tell them, what do they have to compare it to?
I started to be concerned with myself at age 35 when I counted around 32 self employments and/or jobs.
the first job I wanted was newspaper delivery boy,parents said no. so In 6th grade I took bets on a horse race
game I received on my birthday. That was good until my teacher caught me.

My first year in 7th I used pens to put initials on classmates arms. 2nd yr in 7th moved up to naked ladies,much more fun!

skip a few years:
1 sweep parking lots
2 display for dept store
3 service for uncle sam
4 barber
5 dog/house sitter
6 horse breeding farm
7 shoe horses
8 cook

just a sample.

Now I am looking to start a fastlane business.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Waitress
K-mart/Apparel/Cashier/Electronics/Stock/Layaway/Sporting goods
Wal-mart/Cashier/Layaway
Nurse Aide/Private Homes/In-home Care/Nursing Homes
Plastics Factory
Burger King
Mental Health/Manager/Group Home Adult Foster Care
Antiques on E-bay and Consignment

Allowed other people to convince me any job was good. The dead ends to no where. :confused: Lesson Learned don't take advice from side walkers and people who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Document handler for school disrict
Rental car manager
Wedding venue Set up and tear down manager (17 being around drunk bridesmaids, you do the math) Night shift
GNC health club
Life insurance sales rep (career looking big league job, things aren't always as they seem)
Packing and shipping manager (at times annoying but a good job and a great check for someone my age. Easy and I like the place and people)

The one job that really spurred alot of my drive and piss and vinegar was the rental car job. I was 16 and I learned that the general public is really, really F*cking stupid. Just so stupid. No matter how many times a 16-17 year old kid can say they are the manager people still treat you like scum. This job made me toughen up to a degree. Learned to stick my hands up and fight back. But subtle about it. Taught me to have poise and tact and to know when to hold em. AND it taught me customer service. That grown adults are just as lost as everyone else is. That people can be wrong and no one is all that much more above the other. Taught me respect and hard work. Taught me if I go out of my way for people, they might return the favor. That things like work ethic cannot be bought or mimicked. People would ask for me and my service. My attention to detail. They would want to tip ME.

The B2B live insurance taught me that little to nothing REALLY gets done in corporate America. That if you look the part act the part and walk the part you can get the part. Baby faced me at 18 in a fortune 500 cog machine was probably pretty funny people to most there. I learned alot about acting here come to think of it. It taught me that "money" parts of Dallas and Texas are all smoke and mirrors. That doctors can be so underwater and financially backward you wonder how they sleep at night. Lawyers can be a case away from homeless. It also taught me that some companies prey on the naive. I would talk to agents who have 75k in debt to get a job I bagged straight out of High School.Really? This is what turned up out of that 75k debt? Taught me that the world is not always what it seems on the fondant frosting outside. OH it also taught me that the play now pay later mindset and the I NEED TO LOOK COOL AT ALL COST doesn't always go away as people get older. MJ has a well deserved Lambo WITH money in the bank. Some people just have the lambo!:cookoo:

The Gnc job taught me no one wants to work out or put in effort and just want to buy pills. I loved that job. To a point. I could make 1000k a day at that job only working 5 hours. As a young person bent on working for myself all jobs are good to a point. Jobs should be called messing up and learning on other peoples money. Thats what a job is.

All in all my jobs have taught me that people are strange.

Jamesdoesmith

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Aug 14, 2014
Document handler for school disrict
Rental car manager
Wedding venue Set up and tear down manager (17 being around drunk bridesmaids, you do the math) Night shift
GNC health club
Life insurance sales rep (career looking big league job, things aren't always as they seem)
Packing and shipping manager (at times annoying but a good job and a great check for someone my age. Easy and I like the place and people)

The one job that really spurred alot of my drive and piss and vinegar was the rental car job. I was 16 and I learned that the general public is really, really F*cking stupid. Just so stupid. No matter how many times a 16-17 year old kid can say they are the manager people still treat you like scum. This job made me toughen up to a degree. Learned to stick my hands up and fight back. But subtle about it. Taught me to have poise and tact and to know when to hold em. AND it taught me customer service. That grown adults are just as lost as everyone else is. That people can be wrong and no one is all that much more above the other. Taught me respect and hard work. Taught me if I go out of my way for people, they might return the favor. That things like work ethic cannot be bought or mimicked. People would ask for me and my service. My attention to detail. They would want to tip ME.

The B2B live insurance taught me that little to nothing REALLY gets done in corporate America. That if you look the part act the part and walk the part you can get the part. Baby faced me at 18 in a fortune 500 cog machine was probably pretty funny people to most there. I learned alot about acting here come to think of it. It taught me that "money" parts of Dallas and Texas are all smoke and mirrors. That doctors can be so underwater and financially backward you wonder how they sleep at night. Lawyers can be a case away from homeless. It also taught me that some companies prey on the naive. I would talk to agents who have 75k in debt to get a job I bagged straight out of High School.Really? This is what turned up out of that 75k debt? Taught me that the world is not always what it seems on the fondant frosting outside. OH it also taught me that the play now pay later mindset and the I NEED TO LOOK COOL AT ALL COST doesn't always go away as people get older. MJ has a well deserved Lambo WITH money in the bank. Some people just have the lambo!:cookoo:

The Gnc job taught me no one wants to work out or put in effort and just want to buy pills. I loved that job. To a point. I could make 1000k a day at that job only working 5 hours. As a young person bent on working for myself all jobs are good to a point. Jobs should be called messing up and learning on other peoples money. Thats what a job is.

All in all my jobs have taught me that people are strange.

I have been very very blessed with good jobs. not glamorous or CEO/10k a day jobs. But to only be 20 and have that experience is pretty blessed.

verofuerte

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Aug 1, 2015
1. Department store bra-fitter
2. Student bathroom custodian - I cleaned my peers' bathrooms in college.
3. Kmart cashier
4. College library re-shelving "assistant" - more like re-shelving slave
5. Whole Foods cashier
6. Receptionist
7. Busser at an Ethiopian restaurant

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Cleaning shitters
Scrubbing decks
Washing airplanes. I hated washing airplanes.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
  • Telephone surveyor. My first job. Mon-Sat I called people at home to conduct surveys that lasted anywhere from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
  • Tire changer at Sam's Club. Eventually got "promoted" to tire salesman. 4 years at this job (2 as a tire changer).
  • Sold Kirby Vacuum cleaners door to door.
  • Most recent (2.5 years ago), worked part-time at FedEx third shift out in the cold during the coldest Indianapolis winter I could remember. 6 months later I moved to Arizona.

Bellini

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
299%
Mar 26, 2015
Dallas, TX
I have a long list of crappy jobs, but here are a few that deserve ribbons:

Warehouse job
(Awful in every way: Middle of winter, 4:30am wakeup time, hard physical work, hands raw, harassed, yelled at) :dead:

Telemarketer
(They literally put me in a small closet with a chair, a phone, a makeshift desk, and a list of people to call. Then they shut the door and left me in there all day just facing the wall. I lasted two days) :depressed:

Call Center
(I thought I was going to go crazy being chained to a cubicle all day with a headset on. I had to ask permission to go to the restroom, permission to get water, permission to eat lunch, people on the phone were cussing me out.

One psycho woman that kept calling in told me she liked my voice. I asked her how I could help her. She said "Can I tell you a story?" I said "Sure" (thinking it was related to a product defect). She then proceeded to tell me a sexually perverted story about something she did and started breathing heavily. o_O When I realized where it was going, I said "hang on a minute, my supervisor would be really interested in this." lol. When I got the supervisor on the line, she had hung up. She called the next 3 days in a row trying to get my extension!

This is just the tip of the iceberg, folks.

Lord, I've got to make this Fastlane thing work.

Last edited:

ryanbleau

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jun 22, 2014
Scottsdale , Az
Worked as a waiter for 13 odd years. at the same time i worked construction during the day. Drove a truck to new jersey from massachusetts every day for 2 years. diesel mechanic third shift for 2 years. Auto body tech for a while. ran seamless gutter . now my day job is a commercial plumber while i get this business thing going. So I guess this would literally be the shittiest job I've ever had.

Duane

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
286%
Jul 23, 2015
Lakeland FL
1. Lawn care employee
2. Cashier at flea market
3. Cleaned houses
4. Fast food cook for 4 yrs <--- never again
5. Cleaned pools (not my business)
^not a bad business to own, I know guys that don't work much and make millions in it
6. Current job-non destructive examinations
7. Rep at primerica, (anyone ever heard of them?)

blackbrich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Apr 23, 2015
Southeastern USA
1.) Subway employee
2.) Another Sandwich shop employee
3.) Caribbean restaurant dishwasher/general shit cleaner upper (Worst)
4.) Walgreen's employee
5.) Copy shop employee (Least Bad)

Dimski

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
May 24, 2014
Montreal, Canada.
Let's see...
  1. Stuffing catalogs and newspapers into the little plastic bags that go on your doorknob every Saturday morning, for $0.03 a bag. I was 8 years old. Talk about immigrant struggles, huh?
  2. Selling contraband cigarettes in High School. Is that even considered a job? I may have made $500 total.
  3. Calling center job doing 5 minute surveys on the telephone with bank clients that went in their branch earlier.
  4. Security guard for events like big festivals, frosh week parties, and others.
  5. Bouncer for a few bars, nightclubs, and a lot of gangster hangouts. Enough said.
  6. Construction. General labor, really. Mostly home renovations like kitchen work, plumbing, floor work, roof, driveway, etc.
  7. Security guard in a large government-funded corporation. The best company for security guards in the country, mostly made up of veterans. They perform all the private security for our army bases, and other government (and some private) buildings.
  8. Part-time shelf stocker at a friend's supermarket (it's not his, he's just the manager). Worked the graveyard shift. Lasted 1 week.
  9. Head of security for bouncers and event security guards for a private security company specializing in celebrity and other VIP security services. Bodyguard work and training, special (really special) events, chauffeur services, and more.
Been working 70+ hours a week for a whole year and came to one dull realization: Working doesn't pay.
Your time is your life, and it is worth way more than $30 an hour, even if that's not too shabby a salary.

Last edited:

FeaRxUnLeAsHeD

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
203%
Nov 27, 2014
USA
Dead end shit jobs:

1. Homegoods sales associate
I then started my own lawn care business but still worked jobs inbetween
2. Fitness coach at a chain gym

The rest have been internships, and for a reason. Because I know they're dead end, so i dont take full employment anymore, I usually just apply for internships as needed. I've had internships in the summer and on campus work studies.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I've had too many terrible jobs to list. I've always been a really hard worker and usually had more than one job while I was going to college (and usually working on a side business).

I've worked as a server, host, bartender, cook.

I worked as a telemarketer for a couple of weeks and DIDN'T EVEN GET PAID. I went home crying more than once. The place packed up and flew off in the night before I could even get my first paycheck. Boo.

I spent a couple of days on an assembly line packing something like c.d's into boxes. I couldn't keep up with the production line most times. It was terrible and I feel sorry for people who have to do that for a living.

I worked as a cocktail waitress at a couple of different night clubs... those jobs might take the cake as the worst in so many different ways. One of the clubs was the club that everyone went to went the other clubs closed at 2 am. You can only imagine the state that my customers were in.

The best strategy that I found was to pick one crappy job that was tolerable, get really good at it, and stick with it. The pay gets a little better, and you have to deal with a little less crap than the new people. Plus, you get to really learn and understand the business, whatever industry it is.

Nothing wrong with a little hard work - but I won't pretend that I wasn't glad to say goodbye to this stage of my life.

carlolacson

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Mar 17, 2014
Quezon City, Philippines
1. Fast food crew(KFC) - I though I'll learn their secret recipe lol.
2. Callcenter agent - Shitty schedule. 13hrs nightshit. Sacrificed my health
3. telemarketer- got fired because they saw me browsing TMF lol
4. preschool tourguide - Hate those evil kids w/ their parents

Currently now working on my projects and do have a part-time jobs like waiter and wedding photographer.

Lesson: I learned how to deal with people and it improved my attitude.

s7g

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 30, 2015
Germany
I've had white collar jobs only. Well compensated, highly skilled, communicating with the board. Still I managed to get burned out and learned the hard way what does count in life (hint: being free to quit is a good beginning).

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump ... to show that bad jobs are just part of the process.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
This should be fun:
  1. Cutting brush in a damn swamp
  2. Driving hubs on a damn road
  3. Cleaning pipes on a damn campground
  4. Fixing sinks and toilets in a damn hotel
  5. Carrying boxes in a damn warehouse
  6. Now: staring at spreadsheets trying to make some damn money

KLaw

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Aug 4, 2012
ohio
Dead end shit jobs:

1. Homegoods sales associate
I then started my own lawn care business but still worked jobs inbetween
2. Fitness coach at a chain gym

The rest have been internships, and for a reason. Because I know they're dead end, so i dont take full employment anymore, I usually just apply for internships as needed. I've had internships in the summer and on campus work studies.
You don't take jobs anymore? How do you pay rent?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.