The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Damn doubts!

Anything related to matters of the mind

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
I really don't know why, but everytime I am about to get something started I get filled with doubts eventually.

Right now for example - I have been working on the launch of wizwave.com - an online platform for community-based learning. So far so good. When I had the initial idea I thought it was awesome and I even received great feedback from all kinds of people I know. So I started working on making the idea become reality (or at least a first version of it because I know that the initial idea is in most cases not equal to the final product).

However, now the same thing happnes again. The same thing that happens to me over and over again. I get filled with doubt. I have thoughts like "Come on! Actually this is kind of dumb!", "Something similar already exists and there is no way I could beat them with my limited resources" or "At the end it is going to fail anyway and I will have lost another year". What happens then is usually that I also start to receive negative feedback from other people. I get to here stuff like "There are thousands of places like this already" or "The idea sounds nice, but something like this is not possible to do."

I can logically argue that the existing websites have their weaknesses and that it is actually possible to make my idea reality but at heart I am slowly stopping to believe in my ideas, my skills and myself. I lose motivation and combined with the SAD I suffer from I get really depressed and fall into the mode of self-pity instead of taking action and making a change.

Any advice would be highly appreciated - thanks guys!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Robert Francis

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Jan 27, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I really don't know why, but everytime I am about to get something started I get filled with doubts eventually.

First, don't beat yourself up for having doubts. We all do. Work through them and/or ignore them.

Right now for example - I have been working on the launch of wizwave.com - an online platform for community-based learning. So far so good. When I had the initial idea I thought it was awesome and I even received great feedback from all kinds of people I know. So I started working on making the idea become reality (or at least a first version of it because I know that the initial idea is in most cases not equal to the final product).

What is your USP (Unique Selling Proposition) for this site?

"Platform for community based learning seems a little broad."

If you were seeking venture capital, how would you describe it?

What would you pitch as "the reason" that it was a winner?

However, now the same thing happnes again. The same thing that happens to me over and over again. I get filled with doubt. I have thoughts like "Come on! Actually this is kind of dumb!", "Something similar already exists and there is no way I could beat them with my limited resources" or "At the end it is going to fail anyway and I will have lost another year". What happens then is usually that I also start to receive negative feedback from other people. I get to here stuff like "There are thousands of places like this already" or "The idea sounds nice, but something like this is not possible to do."

I can logically argue that the existing websites have their weaknesses and that it is actually possible to make my idea reality but at heart I am slowly stopping to believe in my ideas, my skills and myself. I lose motivation and combined with the SAD I suffer from I get really depressed and fall into the mode of self-pity instead of taking action and making a change.

Generally, unless the "others" you are getting feedback from are investment bankers, I'd consider their opinions virtually worthless.

What do YOU think?

Do you think you can set yourself apart based on the other site's weaknesses?

I've found that the best medicine for doubts is action.

Do something until you achieve something small/new and this will give you motivation to go to the next step.

Hope that's a little bit of help.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
Everybody has doubts.

The only way to find out if your idea can work or not is try it properly.

Dont mind other peoples´ feedbacks beyond a basic level of getting new ideas, or finding general patterns in their responses.

Another thing I would suggest is doing things in an organized manner, you can call it a business plan:

What is the Idea in one sentence? how does it help people? who is your competition? How will you overcome your competition? what are your potential difficulties? what is your financial model? what is the financial potential? etc. It can be a one page document or a 20 page - whatever works best for you. This stage should help you evaluate how good the Idea better than just thinking about it in your head.

Enthusiasm about an Idea is only the beginning - If you can not channel that enthusiasm into organized work, day after day it will not happen.
So the next thing I would recommend is a work plan:

Write down what general processes need to be done to make the Idea into reality, and start detailing each topic.

Then every day designate realistic goals to complete from the bigger work plan (always start with small and doable tasks to gain momentum and avoid feeling of faliure by demanding unrealistic things from yourself).

I will follow my own advice and do my daily tasks now :smxF:

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Focus on the problem, (SAD, depression) and not the symptoms (your doubt on your ideas). It's not your site or ideas that give you doubt, it is your body chemistry that needs to be adjusted.

Exercise, proper diet(cut out sugar and simple carbs), supplements such as vitamin D, B12 shots? sunshine, see a doc about possible meds, etc... If you don't shake the SAD it will drag even the best ideas down. Life is too hard without having to drag a freakin 100lb anchor around with you. Do a little homework on taking on the SAD challenge first, then your reward is a whole new world will open up to you and everything will be much easier.

Good luck to you!

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
Speaking for myself, doubt is a signal for me that I have a blind spot or lack of knowledge.

I would then think about the objections and try to soothe them with more information by reading or asking.

For example, a common doubt for those starting to invest in stock is "what if the business goes bankrupt and the stock goes to $0". My solution to this particular doubt was to focus only on debt-free businesses - a business cannot go bankrupt if there are no banks involved; and so on and so forth.

Best regards.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I think everyone of us has heavy doubts about starting a business venture. Our society doesn't value entrepreneurship very well; maxing out their 401k employer match and putting money in passive investments instead of living paycheck to paycheck is already a decision few people make. (Just look at the personal median net worth of most countries)

We have been told since childhood by parents, adults, mainstream media that entrepreneurship is risky and unsafe, and only some lucky people make it while others fail, and if it really worked everyone would do it, etc... Even the people who have made it often say "yeah, my life was shit for 2-3 years and my parents told me to get myself together and apply for a job everytime"

I've been wondering about this myself too... is entrepreneurship as risky as people make it out to be ? I've read so many articles and books that gave me a more positive view about entrepreneurship, but there's so much negative and scary feedback out there... Deep down I know it's the most stimulating way to make money, but I'm scared by the fact my parents don't approve of it. It's such a limiting belief...

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
I've been wondering about this myself too... is entrepreneurship as risky as people make it out to be ? ..

Yes it is. But if you believe you can do it and take the risk then do it.

What is seriously the worst thing that could happen?

darkjediii

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Jun 8, 2010
Washington, DC area
It happens to everyone.. It's one of the obstacles that you need to get around, that is why the majority of people quit or give up on an idea and take it to the graveyard with them..

There will be many situations that will arise that will test you, obstacles that will show up out of nowhere at the worst possible times. This is one of the many that will surface and you will just have to navigate through. This is the nature of the beast.

If the execution of an idea is so easy and will require no effort or perseverance, then more than likely it's not worth pursuing.

On the other hand, the path that will push and challenge you. The path that causes the most resistance, is usually the most rewarding and profitable.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Focus on the problem, (SAD, depression) and not the symptoms (your doubt on your ideas). It's not your site or ideas that give you doubt, it is your body chemistry that needs to be adjusted.

I don't entirely agree that it's the cause of your doubt... But I do agree it's something that you recognize and can deal with, which will sincerely help. SAD Is supposed to be fixable with full-spectrum lighting (which I would imagine includes UV light, but don't cite me on that. Just a leap of logic, since our bodies use it... And I'm just 'more vigorous' in the sun.) so that shouldn't be hard to deal with.

If you're like me, doubt will continue to crop up, usually when you're least actively engaged in the project, or just before you get back into it. I invite you to try to just do some work when you're feeling that way, and make sure you put your heart into it. Turn up some good music, and focus on what you're doing.
You ever 'forget' you have a headache or fever or that you're really thirsty because you're too pre-occupied? That's what we're going for here.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Originally Posted by Akitoes

I've been wondering about this myself too... is entrepreneurship as risky as people make it out to be ? ..
Yes it is. But if you believe you can do it and take the risk then do it.

What is seriously the worst thing that could happen?

From my perspective it isn't that risky. You run more risk from walking outside in the winter and stepping on a patch of black ice than you do from trying to make something succeed.

Failure is a risk. Debt is a risk. Feeling social pain is a risk. Legal trouble is a risk. Am I missing any?

CVentures1B12

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Oct 18, 2007
Richmond, VA
I am in the same boat...just yesterday I was working with one of our clients and I just kept praying that this entire model works...

Of course, it works. We are seeing immense success in the students that we work with...it was just my particular student that I was working with that I had doubts about. I was putting undue pressure on myself because his mother is a real talker. Which can be an amazing thing...and a really bad thing if we f*&k up. We won't F it up, of course...but its just another part of the process that you have to deal with and push past!

Best of luck
JC

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I don't entirely agree that it's the cause of your doubt... But I do agree it's something that you recognize and can deal with, which will sincerely help. SAD Is supposed to be fixable with full-spectrum lighting (which I would imagine includes UV light, but don't cite me on that. Just a leap of logic, since our bodies use it... And I'm just 'more vigorous' in the sun.) so that shouldn't be hard to deal with.

If you're like me, doubt will continue to crop up, usually when you're least actively engaged in the project, or just before you get back into it. I invite you to try to just do some work when you're feeling that way, and make sure you put your heart into it. Turn up some good music, and focus on what you're doing.
You ever 'forget' you have a headache or fever or that you're really thirsty because you're too pre-occupied? That's what we're going for here.

Since DK posted SAD/depression as an issue, I assume it is an issue. Only DK knows how much of an issue vs. standard business doubts. It if it the case, there is no amount of "get tough", "shake it off", "good music" type stuff that will work.

I experienced it years ago after my little sister was murdered. It took medication and special focus on the problem(more exercise, supplements, counseling etc...) for several months to break me outta the funk. If Tony Robbins himself was at my side 24/7 it would not have mattered, he would have felt like a failure! LOL. My point is if your self assessment sees it more than your standard business doubts you need to focus on it and attack it as its own challenge. Nobody, no matter how strong and motivated they think they are can carry the 100lb anchor around very long without being worn down. Good luck!

dkt91

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
32%
Aug 15, 2008
Lima, Peru
Thanks, guys - you all have helped me a lot and I think it's getting better slowly. I just took a few days off, had a little break and gave myself the chance to reflect on everything. The days are getting longer now, too, and school will be over in just a few months. Things will be much easier then, I think.

Thanks a lot once more!

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
Since DK posted SAD/depression as an issue, I assume it is an issue. Only DK knows how much of an issue vs. standard business doubts. It if it the case, there is no amount of "get tough", "shake it off", "good music" type stuff that will work.

Of course. I just doubted it was the issue, as it wasn't presented as the cause. How I read into directly affected my response. I see your point though, it was presumptuous of me. Hopefully if my assumptions are right, my answers are valuable anyway :p

Edited in:
Thanks, guys - you all have helped me a lot and I think it's getting better slowly. I just took a few days off, had a little break and gave myself the chance to reflect on everything. The days are getting longer now, too, and school will be over in just a few months. Things will be much easier then, I think.

Thanks a lot once more!

You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear you're finding the issue fading! Feel free to update us for different advice if you like.

Last edited:

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007

I feel that your problem is that you start working on a project without finding out whether there is a real market need for it. Take a bit more time to find a product or service that actualy fills a need, before you actually start working on it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.