The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Crushing B2B Sales with LinkedIn

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Want to CRUSH it selling B2B on LinkedIn?

I certainly do.

Right now LinkedIn is the single biggest opportunity for B2B sales.

What I'd like to share is a strategy I have developed recently whilst starting to build a brand new business from the ground up. It's still relatively early days, but so far this strategy has been producing contacts and opportunities beyond my wildest dreams.

The strategy that I am laying out below won't work for everyone. It is dependant on you having a good product/service that people actually want - and having some level of budget for acquiring new customers. Also - to be clear, I do not represent any of the products or services I mention below.

So - what is the strategy?

First, let me give you a bit of context. I am running a B2B service business in a very specific industry. Each client is worth a minimum of $30,000 per year. Even if I had to spend 10% of that to acquire the client, I'd be very happy (though I am not expecting to spend anywhere near that).

The strategy at a high level is simple. I want to get in front of as many of the decision makers as possible and stay in front of them. I want to be in a position where THEY approach ME to discuss working together, rather than the other way around.

So here goes.

1) Finding The Right People

The first step here is bringing in a stream of new, targeted leads on a daily basis. Top of the funnel shiz.

Let's use the example that we want to connect with owners of Accountancy firms in the US.

We'd do a search using the "All Filters" option to really dial it in:

_ceo____Search___LinkedIn.png

So, options I have on the filters are:

- 2nd & 3rd Connections Selected

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 22.14.35.png

- USA Selected

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 22.15.14.png

- Accountancy Industry Selected

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 22.15.39.png

- Title Dialed In

You may have others but I generally search: owner OR CEO OR managing director OR founder OR co-founder

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 22.16.40.png

Once you do this you will see that LinkedIn comes up with almost 16,000 results. That'll keep you busy for a while

2) Connecting With The Right People

The next part of the strategy is about regularly connecting with these people. I aim to send anywhere from 50-100 connection requests per day.

I like to send a custom connection request that is as personal as possible. For my example it might be something like:

Hey NAME,

How's the weather today in CITY NAME?

I thought it would be worth us connecting as we are both working in the accounting world!

Speak soon,

Earl

Now, there are various options for doing this - here are the options available to you:
  • Do it yourself, manually, every day. Time-consuming, but free.
  • Hire an intern or a student to do this for you.
  • Hire a LinkedIn marketing firm to do this for you. I can recommend a couple.
  • Use a tool like Linked Helper. Though I believe this may be a little "grey-hat".
3) Video Message Those Who Connect

Ok, so this is where things start to get interesting. A certain percentage of these people, who are LITERALLY your target audience, are going to accept your connection request.

Our aim here is simple. We want to start a dialogue with these people AS WELL AS take a HUGE opportunity to stay in front of them for months to come.

Enter DUBB. This is an awesome video message platform that I fell in love with the moment I came across it.

What it allows you to do is quickly record a video message for someone, directly from your chrome browser (or even from a phone app).

But the KICKER here, is that you can embed PIXELS into the page that plays the video

Do you see what we are about to do here?

The next step is simple. When someone accepts your connection request, we are going to shoot a very short video with DUBB and sent it to them via LinkedIn. They will then click to watch the video, and be put onto your retargeting audience! Personally, I collect a retargeting audience primarily using the Facebook Pixel, but also LinkedIn pixel.

I would make the video message super soft and friendly. ACTUALLY take a look at their profile, take a look at their business, and give some useful thoughts. Don't try to sell at this stage, deliver value best you can, with no expecations.

4) Run Ads Against This Audience

Personally I primarily run Facebook ads, as I am extremely familiar with the platform. However, I reckon LinkedIn is a good bet too. I am playing with it at the moment and may have more insights as time goes by.

There are 3 kinds of ads I am running at the moment to my retargeting audience:

1. General promo videos - I am giving myself the goal of creating multiple promo videos throughout the year, plus creating multiple cuts of each one to split test.
  2. Showcase videos & images - These will be ads that just showcase the work you are doing for other clients. I post these at LEAST weekly on social media anyway, so I run them to my retargeting audience too.
  3. Mega value - I really subscribe to the idea of giving your best information away for free, and then having people pay for ACCESS to you. So, I think that creating this kind of content can really build you and your business as an authority and show that you absolutely know what you are doing.
Make sure you have got a good call to action on these - ESPECIALLY on #1, so that people can easily buy / get in touch / request a quote / whatever it might be.

5) Build Relationships & Nurture Them

It's all about relationships. Make sure you respond to LinkedIn messages quickly. You reply to comments on your ad. You answer people's questions. Nurture the relationships, bring value where you possibly can. People will like you, trust you, and buy from you.

In Conclusion

This method is bringing me some FANTASTIC opportunities right now. I expect to generate 6 or 7 figures in revenue this year using this as my primary method for finding new clients for my service business.

However, this is still early days with this technique. It's going to need refining, plus, frankly. I don't have all of the answers. I bet there are people reading this who have creative ideas to make this strategy even BETTER.

I am kind of excited to see if anyone here ends up trying this method. Perhaps you will have some feedback and ideas?

Can't wait to chat with you all and answer any questions you may have.

Praying this helps some folks here, as this forum has been such a huge source of inspiration and guidance for me over the years.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
This is real helpful man. As someone who is new to LinkedIn, and social media in general, I appreciate the guidance. With projects like these that deal with a large number of people, I'm interested to know how you manage client expectations. Also, do you build up a large network first or do you operate by the 80/20 principle?

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
With projects like these that deal with a large number of people, I'm interested to know how you manage client expectations. Also, do you build up a large network first or do you operate by the 80/20 principle?

Hey Thomas, I am really sorry but I do not understand your question in relation to my post.

Could you perhaps rephrase or elaborate?

Thomas Baptiste

Guide Yourself!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Jun 8, 2018
Commonwealth of Dominica
My apologies. I got the answer after a re-read.

The strategy at a high level is simple. I want to get in front of as many of the decision makers as possible and stay in front of them. I want to be in a position where THEY approach ME to discuss working together, rather than the other way around.
You operate in a very specific niche.
You mention that the strategy is developed for them to pay for access to you. These are CEOs we are talking about, with their own agendas and business goals, so I was a bit confused with the numbers (50-100 connections a day), and the difficulty in maintaining contact with those who are converted.

jpanarra

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Jan 9, 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
I give you big props for coming up with this.

The video is a really nice touch because it allows you to show your personality and how approachable you are as opposed to a 'salesy' faceless pitch. I wonder if that'll work for cold email as well, embed a video of you talking to them about their website, might even be faster than a cold call and convert better.

The video approach will separate you from the 'flood' of sales pitches I've gotten on linked in. It has gotten pretty bad lately over there and I just avoid it in general.

I'm going to bookmark this strategy and start using this. I already have B2B sales strategies for twitter, Reddit, and Facebook. This will be a nice addition to the portfolio.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
You operate in a very specific niche.
You mention that the strategy is developed for them to pay for access to you. These are CEOs we are talking about, with their own agendas and business goals, so I was a bit confused with the numbers (50-100 connections a day), and the difficulty in maintaining contact with those who are converted.

As I mentioned this is very much the top of the funnel. They won't all connect with you. Those that do won't all watch your video. You don't have to be in hand-to-hand combat with every single person constantly. That is the beauty of using the retargeting. You can make sure that your content and updates are always in front of them.

Make sense?

The video is a really nice touch because it allows you to show your personality and how approachable you are as opposed to a 'salesy' faceless pitch. I wonder if that'll work for cold email as well, embed a video of you talking to them about their website, might even be faster than a cold call and convert better.

The video approach will separate you from the 'flood' of sales pitches I've gotten on linked in. It has gotten pretty bad lately over there and I just avoid it in general.

I'm going to bookmark this strategy and start using this. I already have B2B sales strategies for twitter, Reddit, and Facebook. This will be a nice addition to the portfolio.

Glad you like it!

Dubb works great for email. You can use it directly in Gmail and it even embeds a cool little gif of the video into the email.

Please do post your results in this thread once you have tried it!

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
This is amazing! Thank you very much for this post. I will definately try it in January. Will keep you updated about results :)

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas
I already have B2B sales strategies for twitter, Reddit, and Facebook. This will be a nice addition to the portfolio.
I’m very interested in your Reddit strategy. I’ve always found it very difficult due to the anti-marketing mindset most of the users have.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
This is amazing! Thank you very much for this post. I will definately try it in January. Will keep you updated about results :)

YES! That’ll be fantastic!

What kind of B2B business are you running?

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
YES! That’ll be fantastic!

What kind of B2B business are you running?

I am starting a little FB Ads agency focusing on Dentists, Chiropractors and Personal Trainers. So far I have had best luck with Personal Trainers. I just started 2 weeks ago and only tried Cold Emailing and Networking so far. You can check out my thread here if you like: EXECUTION - From 0 to Freedom in 3 Months

If you have any specific advise about the niche I am targetting - then I am all ears. Oh, forgot to say that I am mostly focused on my domestic market. A very small country with less than 6 million people. Looking forward to trying your tactics!

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
I am starting a little FB Ads agency focusing on Dentists, Chiropractors and Personal Trainers. So far I have had best luck with Personal Trainers. I just started 2 weeks ago and only tried Cold Emailing and Networking so far. You can check out my thread here if you like: EXECUTION - From 0 to Freedom in 3 Months

If you have any specific advise about the niche I am targetting - then I am all ears. Oh, forgot to say that I am mostly focused on my domestic market. A very small country with less than 6 million people. Looking forward to trying your tactics!

Sounds like this will work great for what you are doing. Keep me posted!

Great strategy, cant wait to see it take off for you.

Thank you! I will report progress here.

I'm also thinking of making a progress thread for my new business in general. What do you guys think?

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I certainly do.

What I'd like to share is a strategy I have developed recently whilst starting to build a brand new business from the ground up. It's still relatively early days, but so far this strategy has been producing contacts and opportunities beyond my wildest dreams.

The strategy that I am laying out below won't work for everyone. It is dependant on you having a good product/service that people actually want - and having some level of budget for acquiring new customers. Also - to be clear, I do not represent any of the products or services I mention below.

First, let me give you a bit of context. I am running a B2B service business in a very specific industry. Each client is worth a minimum of $30,000 per year. Even if I had to spend 10% of that to acquire the client, I'd be very happy (though I am not expecting to spend anywhere near that).

So here goes.

The first step here is bringing in a stream of new, targeted leads on a daily basis. Top of the funnel shiz.

Let's use the example that we want to connect with owners of Accountancy firms in the US.

View attachment 23008

View attachment 23009

- USA Selected

View attachment 23010

View attachment 23011

- Title Dialed In

You may have others but I generally search: owner OR CEO OR managing director OR founder OR co-founder

View attachment 23012

Once you do this you will see that LinkedIn comes up with almost 16,000 results. That'll keep you busy for a while

The next part of the strategy is about regularly connecting with these people. I aim to send anywhere from 50-100 connection requests per day.

I like to send a custom connection request that is as personal as possible. For my example it might be something like:

Hey NAME,

I thought it would be worth us connecting as we are both working in the accounting world!

Speak soon,

Earl

Now, there are various options for doing this - here are the options available to you:
  • Use a tool like Linked Helper. Though I believe this may be a little "grey-hat".

Ok, so this is where things start to get interesting. A certain percentage of these people, who are LITERALLY your target audience, are going to accept your connection request.

Our aim here is simple. We want to start a dialogue with these people AS WELL AS take a HUGE opportunity to stay in front of them for months to come.

Enter DUBB. This is an awesome video message platform that I fell in love with the moment I came across it.

What it allows you to do is quickly record a video message for someone, directly from your chrome browser (or even from a phone app).

But the KICKER here, is that you can embed PIXELS into the page that plays the video

The next step is simple. When someone accepts your connection request, we are going to shoot a very short video with DUBB and sent it to them via LinkedIn. They will then click to watch the video, and be put onto your retargeting audience! Personally, I collect a retargeting audience primarily using the Facebook Pixel, but also LinkedIn pixel.

I would make the video message super soft and friendly. ACTUALLY take a look at their profile, take a look at their business, and give some useful thoughts. Don't try to sell at this stage, deliver value best you can, with no expecations.

Personally I primarily run Facebook ads, as I am extremely familiar with the platform. However, I reckon LinkedIn is a good bet too. I am playing with it at the moment and may have more insights as time goes by.

1. General promo videos - I am giving myself the goal of creating multiple promo videos throughout the year, plus creating multiple cuts of each one to split test.
  2. Showcase videos & images - These will be ads that just showcase the work you are doing for other clients. I post these at LEAST weekly on social media anyway, so I run them to my retargeting audience too.
  3. Mega value - I really subscribe to the idea of giving your best information away for free, and then having people pay for ACCESS to you. So, I think that creating this kind of content can really build you and your business as an authority and show that you absolutely know what you are doing.
Make sure you have got a good call to action on these - ESPECIALLY on #1, so that people can easily buy / get in touch / request a quote / whatever it might be.

It's all about relationships. Make sure you respond to LinkedIn messages quickly. You reply to comments on your ad. You answer people's questions. Nurture the relationships, bring value where you possibly can. People will like you, trust you, and buy from you.

In Conclusion

This method is bringing me some FANTASTIC opportunities right now. I expect to generate 6 or 7 figures in revenue this year using this as my primary method for finding new clients for my service business.

However, this is still early days with this technique. It's going to need refining, plus, frankly. I don't have all of the answers. I bet there are people reading this who have creative ideas to make this strategy even BETTER.

I am kind of excited to see if anyone here ends up trying this method. Perhaps you will have some feedback and ideas?

Praying this helps some folks here, as this forum has been such a huge source of inspiration and guidance for me over the years.

This is great.

I wonder if this will work for my B2C business.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
This is great.

I wonder if this will work for my B2C business.

Are you able to tell me more about your business? Maybe I can give some thoughts.

Ankerstein17

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Mar 22, 2015
Edmonton, Alberta
Hey, thanks for sharing your experience and strategy with LinkedIn B2B sales. Awesome! For any one who is in the b2b space, there is a ton of value here.

I certainly do.

So here goes.

View attachment 23008

View attachment 23009

- USA Selected

View attachment 23010

View attachment 23011

- Title Dialed In

View attachment 23012

Hey NAME,

Speak soon,

Earl

In Conclusion

Nigel B

Life Long Learner
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
126%
Sep 18, 2017
USA
Thanks for posting this, looking to better utilize LI in our Business Intelligence software business. This looks like a good framework to start from. Like you, our customers are high-value, so acquisition cost can be quite high due to LTV in 6-7 digits.

Edward C

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Oct 2, 2015

You're absolutely right, it does. The guys that manages the PPC for my service business got me using almost that exact strategy. I was so impressed with it, that I set up an appointment almost immediately.

Kaizen502

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Aug 5, 2018
Germany
Meal delivery for a mid to upmarket clientele I'm utilising my experience as a chef. All made fresh, vacuum sealed.

It could be B2B as well if you offer catering for business events with mid to upmarket clientele :)

@EarlOfChina

I am not into B2B with my own venture, but I love your idea of using videos. Daniel DiPiazza from Rich20Something used a similar strategy to apply for freelance gigs. I bet this works really well because it really stands out from the mass. Also for an internet service business, it is easy to give a quick review of the potential customer's situation thinking of SEO, web design or IM services that might need improvement.

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
Sure!

Meal delivery for a mid to upmarket clientele I'm utilising my experience as a chef. All made fresh, vacuum sealed.

NICE! Is this operating only in certain geographical areas?

Hey, thanks for sharing your experience and strategy with LinkedIn B2B sales. Awesome! For any one who is in the b2b space, there is a ton of value here.

Glad you think so!

Thanks for posting this, looking to better utilize LI in our Business Intelligence software business. This looks like a good framework to start from. Like you, our customers are high-value, so acquisition cost can be quite high due to LTV in 6-7 digits.

YES! I think this will definitely work for you - please let me know how you get on.

You're absolutely right, it does. The guys that manages the PPC for my service business got me using almost that exact strategy. I was so impressed with it, that I set up an appointment almost immediately.

Nice!

It could be B2B as well if you offer catering for business events with mid to upmarket clientele :)

EXACTLY! Or just hitting up busy business people in a certain area who you know are likely to have the $ for your services!

ValueGenerator

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 17, 2018
Los Angeles

I certainly do.

So here goes.

View attachment 23008

View attachment 23009

- USA Selected

View attachment 23010

View attachment 23011

- Title Dialed In

View attachment 23012

Hey NAME,

Speak soon,

Earl

In Conclusion

This was extremely helpful and encouraging to say the least. I really appreciate you taking the time to put this together and share with the community. Thank you!

Natural

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Nov 7, 2013
@EarlOfChina Thank you very much for this insight. I think it will be very useful for my b2b service business.

With this strategy implemented, I think I can increase my revenue with at least 30% this year vs last year because I haven't used Linkedin at all so far. (Did low-mid 6 figure revenue last year).

I'll give it a go within 2 weeks as well as pre-record 2 videos for my 2 main niches so I don't have to record a video every time I connect with someone. My idea is to talk about their niche, why we might be a good fit, go over my short but value-packed slideshow and show a few case studies relevant to them and then see what happens.

I do however see the benefit of making a super personal video with each connection but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. (My clients are not worth 30k per year) So if that means I lose a few thousands in revenue per year and get to live a little more (freedom) then that's cool with me :)

EarlOfChina

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Jul 8, 2017
UK
This was extremely helpful and encouraging to say the least. I really appreciate you taking the time to put this together and share with the community. Thank you!

You’re welcome! Let me know how you get on.

@EarlOfChina Thank you very much for this insight. I think it will be very useful for my b2b service business.

With this strategy implemented, I think I can increase my revenue with at least 30% this year vs last year because I haven't used Linkedin at all so far. (Did low-mid 6 figure revenue last year).

I'll give it a go within 2 weeks as well as pre-record 2 videos for my 2 main niches so I don't have to record a video every time I connect with someone. My idea is to talk about their niche, why we might be a good fit, go over my short but value-packed slideshow and show a few case studies relevant to them and then see what happens.

I do however see the benefit of making a super personal video with each connection but I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle. (My clients are not worth 30k per year) So if that means I lose a few thousands in revenue per year and get to live a little more (freedom) then that's cool with me :)

This makes complete sense. I also have a promo video which I use as a generic video and it works quite well.

I also saw some really interesting ideas around “hooking” people with something funny or that would peak their curiosity.

As weird as it sounds I am actually toying with the idea of making a video of my “party trick” and sending that as part of a well crafted message.

Let me know if that sounds interesting and perhaps I’ll expand some more on the idea!

Jonathan Hoch

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Jan 17, 2019
You’re welcome! Let me know how you get on.

This makes complete sense. I also have a promo video which I use as a generic video and it works quite well.

I also saw some really interesting ideas around “hooking” people with something funny or that would peak their curiosity.

As weird as it sounds I am actually toying with the idea of making a video of my “party trick” and sending that as part of a well crafted message.

Let me know if that sounds interesting and perhaps I’ll expand some more on the idea!
I like this concept. I would also summarize the video, for those who don't fire it up immediately.

Party trick...

I automatically think back to my infantry days where doing a 2 minute keg stand would initially piss off the college kids, but then they'd realize how ridiculous it was and could get to +100 seconds. I'll assume that you're not selling kegs, solo cups, or beer funnels.

What's your party trick?

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
@Chapas you ever give this a try? I am expecting to start creating videos next week and am looking to see if anyone else is seeing positive feedback from this.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.