The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Credit Card Processing

barchetta7550

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2007
MI
I am in the process of developing my website. The website will require credit card payments.

For those that have CC processing for your website, is there a company that you work with and would recomend. Can you also specify what pecentage the company takes from sales and any other information that might be usefull in making the decision.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Shawn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 14, 2007
I've used linkpoint (Cardservice Intl) for about 5 years now and have been happy with them. The discount rate and fees will vary depending on your business and risk analysis, but I believe it's somwhere between 2-6% of sales. There's also about a $30/monthly fee.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I use linkpoint central (www.linkpointcentral.com). They are VERY reasonable (flat fee of $28/month plus a .30 per transaction fee.

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
I've never had any actual product of my own, so I've never actually used any CC processing; but I believe that you can use PayPal to do this, and since it's a very well known name thanks to Ebay, I imagine it would be a good choice. Or, at least something to look into.

barchetta7550

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2007
MI
I've never had any actual product of my own, so I've never actually used any CC processing; but I believe that you can use PayPal to do this, and since it's a very well known name thanks to Ebay, I imagine it would be a good choice. Or, at least something to look into.

I have had bad experiences with paypal. I dont like the way they handle things. Thanks for all the replys. Keep them coming :thankyousign::icon_super:

Luke12321

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
31%
Jul 27, 2007
North Carolina
I would not want to rely on paypal alone. Could you imagine missing out on a 10,000 order because you do not accept credit card's? Listen, this is America. People live and die by using credit cards. If you are on the web...you MUST accept credit card payments. I work in the credit card collections business and I see accounts every day that have online merchants all over the monthly statements. MJ said a big turning point in his business back a few years ago was accepting credit card payments. As far as who to use....I can't tell you that. Just don't rely on PayPal alone. Accept all major creditors and you will reap the benefits in the long run!

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
We offer both paypal and linkpoint. I have never had anything but good experiences from paypal. I prefer to use linkpoint because it is cheaper for me. The paypal fees are really high and add up if you are taking in $1000's a month!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't recommend a 3rd party provider unless you're just getting started. With a 3rd party provider (PayPal) you are not at the top of the chain. You know me, I like to be at the top of the chain and avoid middlemen. Also, Paypal IS NOT RECOMMENDED as it screams "Amateur Company!" - it stinks of someone working out of their basement (which is nothing wrong with that, you just don't want to appear that way). I would NEVER use Paypal as an option on any website, even if I offered standard credit cards options.

Z5Films has a bountiful collection of PayPal horror stories.

Go direct to the bank and get a merchant account -- this way you avoid 3rd party providers (who are middlemen that increase your cost).

A few months ago I switched my merchant account to the Costco plan -- the discount rate on internet transactions was only 1.9% with minimal key charges.

www.CostCo.com
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Productgroup.aspx?Prodid=11105019&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|55291|55491&N=4018338&Mo=11&pos=4&No=2&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=55491&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC9186-Cat55291&topnav=

While 3rd party providers work for those getting started or small volumes, when you start dealing with millions of dollars, the difference between 4% per transaction and 1.9% is in the thousands. Those savings could be used for more employees or advertising.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Good point about Paypal. It is amateur, like I said, we no longer offer it up- only is someone specifically asks to we use them. ...MJ, why would you prefer 1.9% per transaction to .30 with a flat fee of $28/month? What am I missing?

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
We have a merchant account with our bank and then use Authorize.net on the website. Our cost on the merchant account ranges from 1.9% to 3.5%, depending on the company and the type of card. Best rate we get is for Tax Loopholes because of the long history and smaller charges. Worst rate is for a seminar company because it's new and the prices are all the same (no $5.97 charges like we get at Tax Loopholes) I keep threatening to stop taking AMEX because it is by the far the most expensive.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Interesting points.

All of our transactions are "card not present" (same as internet based orders) since we have a full prepayment in advance, and do not charge the card when the guest arrives.

This means we pay a higher percentage per transaction, but we get to use the money months earlier. Put in an interest bearing account, this works extremely well for us.

We stopped taking Amex completely when we took over the Inn. When someone asks us why we don't, we tell them the merchant service charges were literally *double* that of VISA and MC.

We don't take Discover either-- just VISA and MC.

We shopped around ALOT, and wound up w/a special deal offered by Wells Fargo to CABBI members (CABBI had a rather special connection w/ Wells Fargo-- our old exec director's husband was Chairman of the Board at Wells for a while).

When a Wells Fargo rep called us to sell us on their services, we told them we already were using them. He persisted, saying he could get us better rates. When we told him what we were getting, he very nicely told us that was impossible, and that he would check and call us back with the *real* rates we were getting.

He called back a few days later, and sheepishly admitted that there was no way he could even come close to the deal we'd gotten.

Gotta love hearing that. :)

RE: Costco (and any other processors): We started out great with them (very low charges), and found that after a few months, they started increasing their percentage of "non-standard" transactions. This increased their percentage charges from 2.9 to more than double in some cases. They just kept adding on exceptions:

-Use of corporate cards = higher percentage
-Use of ATM VISAs = higher percentage
-Use of awards cards = higher percentage

You get the idea.

Our average was about 4% or more some months- -all because the Costco card folks kept adding more and more exceptions.

We review our processing charges every 3 months-- and shop around if we need to.

We were able to gain a *substantial* regular lower rate by including the amount of sales tax charged as part of our input for each transaction (for some reason, VISA and MC require this, and charge higher rates if you don't include this w/each transaction).

So watch for changing charges/increasing percentages no matter who you work with. As MJ said, it amounts to thousands of dollars per year.

For one of our businesses, a 2% difference for us (what we got when we changed from Costco to the special Wells program) amounts to $15,000 per year.

-Russ H.

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
we use www.lynksystems.com/
they have cc process and checks on line.
we pay an average less than 2%(1-7/8%) on everything except american express which we do not take unless there is no other option available and service has already been rendered. They also have a $15 monthly fee if you don't meet minimum transaction process of 30k.
They are pretty easy to deal with and keep a transaction log on line which is helpful with your book keeping.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Janet-

I'm assuming your rates are based on having the card present and checking the ID?

This results in substantially lower rates than an internet based business (or ours, since we do prepays in advance and don't have the card present).

-Russ H.

barchetta7550

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2007
MI
I'm new to cc processing. I assume the payments go directly to the bank and the bank issues you a check minus the transaction fees?! if thats the case, how long does it take to get your money.

Or does it get deposited directly in your bank account minus transaction fees?

nomadjanet

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 28, 2007
TX
We don't swipe the cards because we do not carry terminals into the field the tech calls into the office & gives the girls all the info and they key it into the terminal. Most of our cards are considered card present even though they are not swiped unless it is a property manager that calls in service over the phone. Since we are rendering service at the mailing address of the card in most residential cases, I assume this gives us a favorable rate. I have looked at the wireless terminals for our guys but the expense has not been equal to the revenue increase at this point.
Janet

wildambitions

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
16%
Aug 29, 2007
Southern NM
For those with the internet type business and use linkpoint (or any of the card services):
Can customers make their payments right on line? If so, how did you set that up?

I can only figure out how to accept "via telephone payments". (Yes, I am really a novice when it comes to this website stuff) Ideally, I'd like to set it up for the customer to be able to make their own payments right on line which would then generate an e-mail to the business owner that let them know that a payment (and for what) was made. From what I have read thus far, I believe that I need to create an HTML form that takes them to the "check out/payment" page of link point. Am I on track? I really don't understand how to do this.

Shawn

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 14, 2007
For those with the internet type business and use linkpoint (or any of the card services):
Can customers make their payments right on line? If so, how did you set that up?

I can only figure out how to accept "via telephone payments". (Yes, I am really a novice when it comes to this website stuff) Ideally, I'd like to set it up for the customer to be able to make their own payments right on line which would then generate an e-mail to the business owner that let them know that a payment (and for what) was made. From what I have read thus far, I believe that I need to create an HTML form that takes them to the "check out/payment" page of link point. Am I on track? I really don't understand how to do this.

Some shopping carts have the ability to run linkpoint, if you don't have one, the best bet would be to hire a web firm to install an ssl cert and create your payment gateway for you. :)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA

I was taking suggestions from this thread and checked into link point as a new gateway. It seems you have to have LP API or LP gateway to run on the web, you might have LP MO/PO (mailorder/phone order) Gateway does a Paypal type transaction and API you set up with a SSL on your own site which is what i need now.

barchetta7550

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2007
MI
I ended up going with Linkpoint. 2.19% + .25$ per transaction plus 28$ per month. Initially i was going to use Paymentech from Chase bank, but they have the worst customer support.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I ended up going with Linkpoint. 2.19% + .25$ per transaction plus 28$ per month. Initially i was going to use Paymentech from Chase bank, but they have the worst customer support.

I use Chase Paymenttech, who uses Authorize.net. So far my experience has been pretty good. I have a good account manager who calls back right away and takes care of things. Plus I have about 10 checking accounts with Chase so maybe that helps. :)

barchetta7550

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2007
MI
I use Chase Paymenttech, who uses Authorize.net. So far my experience has been pretty good. I have a good account manager who calls back right away and takes care of things. Plus I have about 10 checking accounts with Chase so maybe that helps. :)

Originally I was going to go with Paymentech. I submitted my application, and a rep contacted me since she had some questions. I immediately responded to the email. I had no response from her for about a week. I kept emailing the rep to reply to the email telling me that she at least received it and read it. The rep wrote emails, like she was emailing her friend and not a customer.

I also have a business accnt with Chase. Maybe I will give it another try later to see if they are willing to give me a better rate per transaction.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
They way I opened my account was walking into a Chase Bank and talked with a personal banker. He made the call to Chase Payment Tech and submitted my application for me. I think that this made for a better relationship with Chase Payment Tech as I was assigned a guy that my personal banker knew and dealt with. When I have an issue I call my Payment Tech rep. but I know that I can call my personal banker or go in and see him if I need something ASAP.

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
...I keep threatening to stop taking AMEX because it is by the far the most expensive.

Due to high volume and high average ticket, my brick and mortar businesses get rates in the 1.7's... but the problem is that after all fees and other factors i.e. corporate cards, qualified, mid-level among other levels of cards, the effective rate has averaged 1.95%+/- of total sales. We have a different processor for each location which was shopped at different times for the best rate.

Another concern is regarding American Express and I share the same sentiment as Diane. Amex claims their consumer has higher average tickets than visa/MC, but after a stringent analysis of our card processing, we have concluded they are FOS (full of shit). In turn, instead of advertising which specific cards we take, we just make a generic statement that all cards are accepted.... at one point, we "lost" the Amex decals in our establishments.

Amex makes it difficult for your company if they know their card is being discouraged from being used.

regarding some general comments on this thread, my main advice is:
1. to never sign on for a long term contract
2. continuously shop EFFECTIVE rates... anyone can low ball the visa rate... it's the spread you have to watch for.
3. possibly join a national buying group or trade group that can get you a better rate

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
I am in the process of developing my website. The website will require credit card payments.

For those that have CC processing for your website, is there a company that you work with and would recomend. Can you also specify what pecentage the company takes from sales and any other information that might be usefull in making the decision.

Thanks

I would HIGHLY recommend Authorize.net & Bank Merchant Account combo. I have never received a late payment from them and there online rates are awesome, I started at 2.4% and now am at 2.1%. They only have a $10 monthly gateway fee, plus transaction fees, and the support is awesome.

Highly recommended

Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

barchetta7550

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 14, 2007
MI
I would HIGHLY recommend Authorize.net & Bank Merchant Account combo. I have never received a late payment from them and there online rates are awesome, I started at 2.4% and now am at 2.1%. They only have a $10 monthly gateway fee, plus transaction fees, and the support is awesome.

Highly recommended

Tom C.
www.aptohosting.com

Thanks. I will look into it.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
We are going to be handing our website over to a third party to automate for us. The concern my business partner has is over letting a 3rd party have access to our merchant service acct.- as they would need to in order to automate the process. ...How do we protect our merchant services account?

aptohosting

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 16, 2007
North Carolina
We are going to be handing our website over to a third party to automate for us. The concern my business partner has is over letting a 3rd party have access to our merchant service acct.- as they would need to in order to automate the process. ...How do we protect our merchant services account?

Yves,

If you are processing cards online..there should ONLY be 2 parties (not including you)

1) The payment gateway (www.authorize.net)

AND

2) Your merchant account (Your bank)

This process should already be automated, customer pays online. The gateway accepts the payment, passes it over secure environment to the merchant account. You receive payment. Can you explain what this third party is "automating" for you.

Tom
www.aptohosting.com

AJGlobal

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks

I have some connections being in the marketing field and I know one of our local car club members here in AZ is in that field as his main business. If you get dead ends with what everyone else is suggesting just drop me a PM. I personally do not use any of them only because I don't take CC's but a lot of my clients do.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Apto-

We want you to automate our site. However, there is a general concern as to privacy and security when it comes to the merchant services acct. What we are hoping to accomplish is that someone will be able to book, pay and then receive an email confirming their reservation- seamlessly online. ...I am assuming that we would need to give you all our password info- right?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.