The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating my Own Digital Marketing Company

Marketing, social media, advertising

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Hey guys! I hope that you're doing well! I broke my foot last week and had an, "oh crap" moment when I realized how physical my actual work was (photography.) I'm in a boot for the next 6-8 weeks, but that's still a long time for me to not be in action. Like, if something happened to me, what do I have to fall back on? I've been reading @Sean Marshall's and @Kyle T's threads for some time now as a complement to my workflow as well as combing through @Andy Black's threads as well. I don't know if I'm having an impulse reaction to how vulnerable I am in my current state. I think I'll incorporate photography services if this takes off at all, but for now, I'm focusing on PPC and maybe some SEO, but I want to do one at a time and see how well this plays out. Even I'm skeptical if I can pull this off, but any insights from you guys are always appreciated!

Here's what I have accomplished so far in the past 5 days:

- Business brand and name - DONE

- Business "feeling" write down 10 names - DONE

- Looked up online marketing companies -
DONE (it's kind of amazing how overwhelming some of the menus are on some of them)

- Taking classes on Udemy -
DONE (I'm utilizing as I go along so I'm not wasting time. I'm also using @Andy Black's Bootcamp course as well!)

- An industry you like to serve -
DONE (But I might add more in this. For now, it's niches that I'm familiar with)

- Write out your motivation -
DONE
- I want to help photographers and videographers to be more visible to the clients they want. I'm not impressed with the booking sites that already exist and with the shift in social media, I want to give more power to the creator rather than be dependent on things that they can't control.

- List out the amount of money that you would want to make in the first, second, following months - DONE
- First month: $500 (it's not as easy as it looks based on my previous execution thread)
- Second month: $2000
- Third month: $4000
- First Year: $50,000 (I know I'm setting the bar low, but I have no idea if I'm setting myself up for failure)
- Go online and look up other online marketing companies (again) – jotted down everything that I liked and would like to emulate. - DONE

- Put together my USP - DONE

- Came up with 3 types of packaging - Sort of. I would start at $300, but since I'm focusing on PPC, do I need 2 more services?

- Thought of my ideal client, what traits they have to make an ideal, "Avatar" - DONE

- Business name - DONE

- Came up with my business tagline. Simple, to the point and value oriented. - Still struggling with this one.

- Picked my business colors - DONE

- Got a logo done - DONE (Not through Upwork, but Canva. I do have some graphic design experience)

- 1 Page Business Plan -
DONE (I can see it changing as I find more problems that need to be solved, but it's still a nice guideline)

- Setup your DBA -
Not yet. My local branch's building is not handicap friendly (I've filed things before) If I get some clients, then I'll bite the bullet and my way up the stairs.

- Setup business checking and savings accounts - Not yet

- Buy a domain - Not yet, but's available!

- Created my home page - Not yet. I have a website and domain that I never utilized, so I'm trying to figure out if I can swap the domain names through Bluehost.

- Bought business cards for potential clients - Not Yet.

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to shout! I haven't anything like this and this is very out of my comfort zone. I also saw someone say that reading, "Fanatical Prospects" is a good compliment on getting comfortable with cold calling ( I haven't done that in a long time.) Anything helps!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hey guys! I hope that you're doing well! I broke my foot last week and had an, "oh crap" moment when I realized how physical my actual work was (photography.) I'm in a boot for the next 6-8 weeks, but that's still a long time for me to not be in action. Like, if something happened to me, what do I have to fall back on? I've been reading @Sean Marshall's and @Kyle T's threads for some time now as a complement to my workflow as well as combing through @Andy Black's threads as well. I don't know if I'm having an impulse reaction to how vulnerable I am in my current state. I think I'll incorporate photography services if this takes off at all, but for now, I'm focusing on PPC and maybe some SEO, but I want to do one at a time and see how well this plays out. Even I'm skeptical if I can pull this off, but any insights from you guys are always appreciated!

DONE (it's kind of amazing how overwhelming some of the menus are on some of them)

DONE (I'm utilizing as I go along so I'm not wasting time. I'm also using @Andy Black's Bootcamp course as well!)

DONE (But I might add more in this. For now, it's niches that I'm familiar with)

DONE
- I want to help photographers and videographers to be more visible to the clients they want. I'm not impressed with the booking sites that already exist and with the shift in social media, I want to give more power to the creator rather than be dependent on things that they can't control.

- List out the amount of money that you would want to make in the first, second, following months - DONE
- First month: $500 (it's not as easy as it looks based on my previous execution thread)
- First Year: $50,000 (I know I'm setting the bar low, but I have no idea if I'm setting myself up for failure)
- Go online and look up other online marketing companies (again) – jotted down everything that I liked and would like to emulate. - DONE

- Came up with 3 types of packaging - Sort of. I would start at $300, but since I'm focusing on PPC, do I need 2 more services?

- Thought of my ideal client, what traits they have to make an ideal, "Avatar" - DONE

- Business name - DONE

- Came up with my business tagline. Simple, to the point and value oriented. - Still struggling with this one.

- Got a logo done - DONE (Not through Upwork, but Canva. I do have some graphic design experience)

- 1 Page Business Plan -
DONE (I can see it changing as I find more problems that need to be solved, but it's still a nice guideline)

- Setup your DBA -
Not yet. My local branch's building is not handicap friendly (I've filed things before) If I get some clients, then I'll bite the bullet and my way up the stairs.

- Created my home page - Not yet. I have a website and domain that I never utilized, so I'm trying to figure out if I can swap the domain names through Bluehost.

If you guys have any questions or suggestions, don't hesitate to shout! I haven't anything like this and this is very out of my comfort zone. I also saw someone say that reading, "Fanatical Prospects" is a good compliment on getting comfortable with cold calling ( I haven't done that in a long time.) Anything helps!
Following!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Awesome! After doing web design, I started with Sean Marshall's thread as well (as marketing is what I'm most familiar with) and then migrated to PPC using @Andy Black's Bootcamp to get some knowledge on advertising. So

I will definitely be following this thread as well. If you ever want to connect or even join an accountability group, would love to incorporate you into it and get you moving fast and strong!

I am looking forward to following your process & road to success.

Cheers :fistbump:

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
Nice action looking forward to the progress.

btw in Germany we have this thing called "berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung". Basically disability insurance in case a "disability" prevents the occupation.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Awesome! After doing web design, I started with Sean Marshall's thread as well (as marketing is what I'm most familiar with) and then migrated to PPC using @Andy Black's Bootcamp to get some knowledge on advertising. So

I will definitely be following this thread as well. If you ever want to connect or even join an accountability group, would love to incorporate you into it and get you moving fast and strong!

I am looking forward to following your process & road to success.

Cheers :fistbump:

Thank you! And sure! Hit me up and I'll check it out!

Nice action looking forward to the progress.

btw in Germany we have this thing called "berufsunfähigkeitsversicherung". Basically disability insurance in case a "disability" prevents the occupation.

That's so luxurious. My foundational job is giving me grief about this and I'm waiting for the ADA to get involved. It's a whole mess.

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Are there groups of photographers that you’re in already?

Maybe check out this thread:

Just missed this post! And thanks for following the thread as well!

I am already in a bunch of Facebook groups that I post regularly in, so that saved me an extra step! I'll still check out the thread for more ideas though! :smile:

WowVisible

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 1, 2014

DONE

- Business name - DONE

- 1 Page Business Plan -

- Setup your DBA -

Do you have SEO Service as well? If not, I hope you'll consider Whitelabel or a reseller SEO service of which I and my team can provide. You may PM for details about our process transparency.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe

DONE

- Business name - DONE

- 1 Page Business Plan -

- Setup your DBA -

When will you be hoping to land your first client?

Seems like you are more than ready to go with reaching out to people.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Came up with my business tagline. Simple, to the point and value oriented. - Still struggling with this one.

Off the top of your head, what is the tagline of Sony, Microsoft, Mercedes?

Do you have SEO Service as well? If not, I hope you'll consider Whitelabel or a reseller SEO service of which I and my team can provide. You may PM for details about our process transparency.

Are you going to reciprocate and sell his services?

Dan

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey

I'm debating back and forth with the idea, but for now, I'm focusing on PPC. I guess lead generation also goes hand-in-hand with it? Again, I'm literally learning on the fly so I have no idea.

When will you be hoping to land your first client?

Seems like you are more than ready to go with reaching out to people.

I'm really glad you think so! As for landing my first client, maybe this is action-faking, but I definitely want to have a steadier grasp of what I'm doing. I'm completely out of my comfort zone and if I do get my first client, I'm afraid to disappoint them :arghh: Like, do I even write a script of what I should say to people?

Off the top of your head, what is the tagline of Sony, Microsoft, Mercedes?

I actually had to Google this :rofl: I guess they're not that memorable (for me at least!) I did settle on one thankfully and it lines up with my personal philosophy of life too. (Your world is filled with abundance.) I guess as long as you're providing good value, does anyone care?

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
I guess as long as you're providing good value, does anyone care?

Bingo :)

I selected one of your accomplishments but really, your quoted conclusion above trumps almost all of them.

Presumably you go to Photography Forums, know some photographers, have an idea of the current marketplace as you are one yourself?

Jargon is a good thing. People know you are one of them. A member of the club so to speak.

It will help you with the trust issue when chatting to your prospective clients.

The number one thing that will get their ears tuned in though is you, not just saying you are a photographer, but showing them how you used xyz (PPC /SEO whatever) to gain clients for yourself.

Dan

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
A small update:

- I'm getting my DBA registered tomorrow! I got a ride to get to my clerk's office (I broke my driving foot) and then I'll treat her for lunch!

- Finally got my Wordpress functional on the backend. It turns out, at least for me, it's kabuki theater trying to swap out an old domain, install a Wordpress theme (I had a bought one that I never used,) and getting my FTP going so I don't have to do this back and forth. I've been trying to fix things for the past 3 hours and I didn't create squat visually, and even that's going to be a whole thing. :eek:

- For pricing, I settled on the $499/$599/$999 as @Sean Marshall mentioned and I think I'll outsource whatever I can't do. I only skimmed through Onlinejobs.ph but I'll also throw some job postings on Upwork out in the wind and see what people are offering.

- I made a rough template of my business cards, but that's not my priority at the moment. Especially since most networking events are still shut down in my area.

- I'm also debating if I should get a business number, maybe a virtual address and throw it on the website and cards. Yay or nay?

- I already started making a sheet of prospects that I plan to contact from my FB groups. I'm using Streak for Gmail as well as an email extractor in case I go off of Facebook. As for my personal network, I don't know how warm of a reception I'll get. I dropped off the face of the earth over the years (mental health) and I don't know if it's skeevy of me to approach them out of the blue selling something and expect a warm reception. Am I wrong?

Otherwise, over the weekend, I've been resting my foot, reading, "Fantatical Prospects" and "Ca$hvertising" while bouncing ideas and chatting with my accountability group!

The number one thing that will get their ears tuned in though is you, not just saying you are a photographer, but showing them how you used xyz (PPC /SEO whatever) to gain clients for yourself.

Your post spoke to me, but this hit me. I had to correct myself that I'm not a photographer and I'm a marketer. I've been shooting for 11 years so it's hard to make the transition at the moment haha.

BlackSuperman

What Legacy Will You Leave Behind?
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
341%
Sep 6, 2020
United States
Loving the progress my man. What mediums will you use to gain your clients and have you already started? I'd say once you get the basics set up, start reaching out right away.

Here is a list of all lead generation methods I've employed for my agency:

I recommend choosing 1-2 methods to start off with (1 inbound and 1 outbound). Then over the course of a few weeks/months, you can adjust and either stick with your 1-2 methods or try others.

The goal is to find out which method will provide you with the 80/20 rule.

Inbound Lead Generation Strategies (No Outreach, Long-term lead/customer generating strategies:
1. Referrals
2. Content Marketing
3. Social Media Marketing
4. Case Studies/Testimonials
5. Website Lead Generation
6. Podcasts
7. Youtube
8. Guest Posting
9. SEO Backlinks
10. Demo's
11. Messaging App Marketing (Chatbots)
12. Blog
13. SEO Keywords
14. Event Hosting (Hosting Webinars On How To...)
15. Referral Rewards System
----------------------------
Outbound Lead Generation Strategies (Shorter-term, active strategies to reach out to leads/customers:
1. Cold Emailing
2. Cold Calling
3. PPC Advertising (Can be both technically)
4. Content Syndication
5. Networking with LinkedIn
6. Online Communities
7. Job Boards (Upwork/Freelancer etc)
8. Networking Events
9. Cold Approaching (In-Person)
10. Retargeting Ads

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Loving the progress my man. What mediums will you use to gain your clients and have you already started? I'd say once you get the basics set up, start reaching out right away.

Here is a list of all lead generation methods I've employed for my agency:

I recommend choosing 1-2 methods to start off with (1 inbound and 1 outbound). Then over the course of a few weeks/months, you can adjust and either stick with your 1-2 methods or try others.

Thank you so much! Right now I'm using a combination of Facebook, LinkedIn, and Manta.com to get my prospects. I got roughly 15 people on my personal network off the bat that I think might benefit from this, but you're right, I gotta get my stuff together first so I don't look completely crazy :rofl:

Also, thank you so much for this list!! I never understood the differences between Inbound and Outbound, but this is super helpful! Just bookmarked it and this helps narrow things down!

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Small Update:

I got my DBA filed and fixed my email issues with my host! I also made my bank accounts, social media accounts, working on my branding, and reading my books ("Fanatical Prospecting" and "Ca$hvertising,) and am currently raising capital (IE: selling stuff on eBay. If all of the items sell, it's an easy $150-200 to play with.) I also made a shortlist of VAs and freelancers on OnlineJobs.ph and Fiverr.

Otherwise, I've optimized my website! I got my GTmetrix score from an E to a B and considering the limitations of the theme, I'm happy with it. It was a big improvement from what I was working with (16 sec load time and I shaved it down to 5!) It's also responsive on my phone, so I'm not going to sweat it.

I also had a blizzard where I lived, so I lost power for 2 days. I had 4G thankfully, but editing on WordPress was difficult, so I wrote my copy on Google Keep instead until I was able to copypaste it into my website.

I also thought of what services to offer for now! It's a big list, but I think to get started, I'm starting with:

- Google My Business
- Adding businesses to directories
- PPC

I still got to research more, because it seems everyone's services are wildly different, but these are easy to do while I'm still learning/saving more capital to invest in workers.

Edit: I also notice that a lot of my groups I'm in or have joined, marketers are treated like lepers. Hell, I'm weary of them too. I guess the best I can do is offer good service and not get banned. Should I make another Facebook account just for pitching?

Last edited:

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
Long Overdue Update:

I finished building my website! It took longer than expected because I kept breaking things, redoing the copy (which is still somewhat ongoing,) having bad internet, and multitasking on other things, but it's finished! I learned a lot and I can build a page a lot faster now. There's no blog yet, but that's something I can hire out in the future. I'm just happy I have a simple website :rofl: But most of my woes were focusing on page speed for mobile. After trial and error, I got the score to 91 on PageSpeed Insights.

I also went through some analysis paralysis when going through the research process. I felt like I needed to do everything and add everything so I kept reading books, articles, etc. until I had to tell myself, "Enough. Add as you go along and just get something simple out." Honestly, as long as it's coherent and fast, that's all that matters. The last thing I need to find out is if I do all this work and then turns out nobody cares about it.

I also started walking again! I go for another follow up with my doctor next week, but my foot is healing nicely and I'm reaching some normalcy again!

Other Things Accomplished:
  • Created my Social Media Accounts. There's no posts yet, but at least there's banners and a basic description.
  • Got a business number.
  • Made a Stripe account with recurring payment options.
  • Got my business bank accounts. I went through a delay on getting the debit cards and adding the accounts on Paypal, but that's rectified.
  • Started building my CRM. I had a mini anxiety attack yesterday doing this, because a good chunk of my network I've lost touch with, so I'm afraid they won't remember me. However, I do have 20 people off the bat I can contact so far.
  • I've been very active on my FB groups contributing as much value as I can with my new knowledge as well as old knowledge from my previous occupation. I got banned from one group, but the mod was a psychopath anyway. Worst case, I have another account to get back in there if I wanted, but I already made it up with other groups I'm in.
What's Going on At the Moment:

I reached out to a friend from my CRM and the reception is warm! I offered to do a free SEO audit for her, so let's see where this goes! I'm using SEMRush to perform it (that may change, I'm still shopping around as we speak) but if you guys know anything else that I can use, feel free to suggest it!

Otherwise, that's my progress in a nutshell. I still can't believe I accomplished all this. Any advice and suggestions are always welcome!

Last edited:

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
I'm afraid to mention this because I don't want to jinx it, but I think I got my first client!

Not long after my last post, I messaged one of my photography friends on Facebook. She had issues with her websites, I gave her audits, advice on how to run ads and how to swap her web hosts, and overall just kept offering value. I got a call with her Monday to go more in depth of what she wants, but she likes my rates and is interested! I'm so excited!! I really wasn't expecting to get anyone for anything for at least 90 days. I'm in shock.

For now, I'm going to prepare some extra questions to go over with her. Even if it doesn't work out, at least it's a learning experience!

Beerbread

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Dec 2, 2019
New Jersey
A little late, but I just wanted to make sure that everything went smoothly, but I secured my first client!

I had to scramble on how to get a proposal and contract together, but it worked out in the end! I'm still nervous because my skillset is still shaky, but at least I'm getting paid to learn! I'm also guinea pigging my own website just so I'm more comfortable with Google Ads. @Andy Black's Bootcamp course is a huge help! I'm also using supplemental reading like Ultimate Guide to Google Ads Paperback by Perry Marshall. A lot of it I'm skimming through because Andy covered a lot of what was written, but there are some gems in the book too!

My client's payment cleared and now I'm doing the work. I'm doing everything through Trello because that's what I'm used to. My client is also on my board so they can see what's going on and are not in the dark. For now, I got their logins, and I'm doing some cleanup on their website (such as broken links, enlarging text, installing tags, etc.)

I'm also writing an operations manual as I go. I do want to hire someone out, but I want to be sure that I have something tangible and repeatable so I can be an effective leader. I'm not searching for new clients at the moment though I am nurturing leads through my network. If I get a new one, yay, if not, it's not the end of the world. @Capitalist_Cat has been a great help as well! I would have been still flailing around like a fish without him, so thank you!

Though if you guys have any other advice, I'm open to it! Anything helps at this point.

Sharona87

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Jul 23, 2020
Australia
Hi @Beerbread Just wanted to see how you were going? It looked like you were definitely gaining some momentum! I'm interested to hear where you're at :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.