• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Chasing Freedom - Creating My Own Digital Marketing Company

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by Kyle T, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Kyle T

Kyle T Aspiring Super Hero Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    I had seen you talking about this podcast and have already listened to a few episodes. Seems like some good information. I will definitely check out those specific episodes that you mentioned.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  2. Primeperiwinkle

Primeperiwinkle Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,568
    This is exactly what I want to do except I wasn’t as smart and prolly paid way more for training. Omg. I’m ridiculously impressed w/ your drive while having a newborn. Good job dude!

Sent $$ and here’s some more help cuz now I’m a fan!

D9F3F57A-7DC7-444C-98FC-72F1BCFCD0D0.png This is a RIDICULOUSLY accurate app for newborns that tracks all their jumps in growth and predicts which weeks are going to be particularly challenging. It’s called The Wonder Weeks. My friend has used it since day one and now schedules all her work around it because it’s so on point. Hope it helps.

Kyle T likes this.
  3. MakeItHappen

MakeItHappen Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,896
    Great progress thread @Kyle Thumm , I am definitly following this thread.
    Good luck & keep pushing!

Kyle T likes this.
  4. Eric10x10

Eric10x10 New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $76
    Once you've determined that a prospect is a good lead, how do you go about getting in front of the decision maker?

In my experience, the biggest challenge with selling advertising/marketing services to local businesses has been the inability to get a hold of the DM efficiently.

Most of the local retail stores are run by employees (and managers) who often cannot make purchase decisions.

This leads to lengthy aquisition cycles which slow things down.

I'm curious how you're going about solving this.

Kyle T and maikooo like this.
  5. maikooo

maikooo Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $535
    When I saw this update, I was like "F*ck yeah!!" Congrats, man! You deserve it!!!

6. Crazy GG

Crazy GG Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,584
    Hey Kyle!

First off - big congrats on the two sales you have made - that's very impressive.

I wanted to know what kind of SEO work will you be doing for your clients? Obviously there are so many things you can do - what will you do in the start?

Just on-page SEO or publishing content and link-building as well?

The reason I ask is that I sell websites, and many times people mention SEO and ask about it so I want to know at least a general idea of what I would do if someone asked me to do their SEO after I had built a site with them.

Thanks

maikooo likes this.
  7. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,215
    Congrats!

8. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,215
  9. John Universe

John Universe New Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Thanks a lot for the Udemy courses The Abundant Man, i'm watchin both Sean Marshall's and an all around digital marketing course. Amazing value !

Kyle you also got me inspired to follow your steps here in Argentina. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks a lot !

Kyle T and maikooo like this.
  10. Kyle T

Kyle T Aspiring Super Hero Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    Update:
    61 days since I started
    , I am still sitting at 2 clients... but my pipeline is looking great! I have a bunch of quality leads in the pipeline and working on closing two more in the next week or so.

Book Recommendation:
    I read "Fanatical Prospecting" and it has been GOLD in helping me to get in the right mindset and doing the things that are important to my business on a daily basis.

Even when my pipeline is looking full, I keep hustling and finding more prospects to squeeze in.

Every. Single. Day.

A Valuable Lesson Learned
    Don't assume that your client's know ANYTHING.

Twice now I have talked to potential clients that have websites that are awful & 20 years out of date.

So what did I do? I told them the truth.

"Your current website kinda sucks...."

This inconvenient truth rubbed them the wrong way and didn't help my pitch at all.

Even if their website looks like it was built when AOL was king, don't assume that the client agrees with you about its shortcomings.

I will no longer put words into my client's mouth and will practice getting them to voice their marketing shortcomings before I call it out myself.

The Countdown is on:
    The upcoming move is getting real for me, but rather than nervous, I am getting excited!
    • 9 days away from quitting my last ever job
    • 18 days away from moving out of California.
    • 19 days away from being able to chase this dream of freedom full time!

11. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    I give them a call. Send them an email. Connect with them on LinkedIn.

Then I follow up relentlessly

My best method has been to reach out to people in my local network who have connections to the ideal businesses and ask them to initiate an introduction.

12. Surf16

Surf16 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $410
    Great Job Kyle! Keep pushing forward.

13. Runjie Chen

Runjie Chen New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $56
    Do you think you should start a business locally or internationally?

14. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    Just find people that you can help... Don't overthink it & don't limit yourself.

maikooo and John Universe like this.
  15. S.Y.

S.Y. Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,697
    Fanatical Prospecting is gold! (You'll enjoy Sales EQ by the same author too.)

I really loved the 90-day rule. Keep prospecting.

Things worth pondering:
    • When prospecting
      • Do you meet your prospects where they are in their journey?
        - You can use the See-Think-Do-Care framework
        - Check this article on marketing funnels too
      • Do you give upfront before taking? how? (I saw you are offering a free Proposal on your site. Can you add a pdf or ebook that will help people with their SEO)
      • Are you prospecting where people that need your services are?
    • On lead nurturing
      • Have you mapped clearly which actions you want your lead to take?
      • How do you build a relationship with people not ready to buy now, but will be in the future?
      • how do you guide from their current position to being a client?

Have a look at The Challenger Sale too. You might find useful things to challenge your prospects without rubbing them the wrong way.

Hope that helps and keep going!

twj97, MakeItHappen and Kyle T like this.
  16. maikooo

Rep Bank:
    $535
    Thanks for a reminder. This is a big no-no, kills empathy immediately. You gotta lead the conversation in a way that they say it themselves.

BTW, thanks all for all the book recos! cheers

Kyle T likes this.
  17. BlackMagician

BlackMagician Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $696
    Great progress so far!

How are you documenting all the work? Can you please explain me what are the stuff to note. I am kinda having issue in documenting the work so far, and would help me if you can guide me on documenting the work.

18. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    You have given me a lot to think about! Thank you for all the feedback.

• I will definitely look to create a downloadable resource for them so that I can build a bit of trust before I attempt to schedule a proposal call. Until then, I have changed my initial CTA to point them towards a SEO Audit for their domain.
    • Lead nurturing is something that I have never given a thought about but obviously incredibly important. I think it is natural to have a "you're dead to me" reaction after someone declines your proposal. Need to work on that and create a system of delivering continued value...

19. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    So I am using task management software (ClickUp) to keep track of the daily, weekly, & monthly tasks. This allows me to take notes & document the steps for each task.

My goal is to make sure that I have simple steps outlined for every part of the process so that any unskilled worker could log in to my system and start doing the work.

Typing up this reply, I am realizing that the area that I am struggling with the most (Sales) is probably the one area where I have documented my systems the least... Going to need to change that & master my outreach if I want to be successful.

20. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    I listen to books a lot so I have plenty! Just got done reading 80/20 Sales & Marketing and that was a great one as well.

maikooo likes this.
  21. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    Honestly...

My excitement is transforming to nervousness. My last day at my fulltime job is on Friday.

In order for that to be the last job of my life, I need to get my a$$ to work. My last few sales meetings have fallen flat and I am getting nervous that my prospect pool will dry up.

I have a wife & a 3-month old son to take care of and I decided that I want to start a business now? I must be an idiot...

I am moving to a new state in 12 days and will not have the personal network that has brought me my only current clients. I will start completely from scratch.

Starting on February 3rd, My entire life becomes about interrupting people...

Cold calling. Emailing. Networking events. Knocking on doors. Handing out business cards. Free advice.

This is the life that I signed up for and I have a few months to put up or shut up.

My freedom depends on it.

twj97, BlackMagician and maikooo like this.
  22. maikooo

Rep Bank:
    $535
    Great, thanks for another reco! Piling them up in my Goodreads list. I can see that my 2019 reading challenge will be filled with books about sales!! :)

23. maikooo

Rep Bank:
    $535
    I feel ya. It's a rollercoaster, man! I will be very pragmatic, bcs I don't think you need BS right now
    1. Don't underestimate yourself - you got skills and experience you can use going forward. You must know what people praise you on. Use it to your advantage!
    2. You are not an idiot. Becoming an entrepreneur is one of the most courageous things one can do. Defying the norms of this f*cked up society can't be a making of an idiot!
    3. Taking care of your family is the biggest motivator you can have right now. It will not make you stop, slack or have time to ruminate. You will act and go forward like a bulldozer.
    4. You are not interrupting people. You are helping them solving their needs and pains!
    5. Starting from scratch is great. No baggage!
    Wish you success!

BlackMagician likes this.
  24. PizzaOnTheRoof

PizzaOnTheRoof Perfection Through Iteration Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $3,406
    Any updates Kyle?

25. Kyle T

Rep Bank:
    $1,596
    Update:
    Monthly Revenue: $1250

I have a couple of strong leads in my pipeline but not enough that I am 100% confident. I want to be so overbooked with leads that I can crush my minimums with certainty.

My Recent Actions:
    • Been testing out the strategy from Crushing B2B Sales with LinkedIn. Overall I have been happy with it. The very first 2 videos I sent both got replies & interest from customers. I sent 10 this week and am going to incorporate it into my strategy. I have been sending connection requests to 100 people every single day and have a large prospect pool to send videos to. Part of the process that is slowing me down is the uploading of the videos. It takes 10+ minutes to upload a single video and throws me out of my rhythm. I need to film the videos in bulk and then upload them in the background while I have focused work on another task.
    • Also spent some time playing with Slybroadcast from the thread A tool that I am using with a ridiculous ROI. Been underwhelmed with the results but it is so cheap and isn't time-consuming. I will continue testing it for another week or so and use my remaining credits to see If I can get some traction.
    • Attended a local BNI meeting this week. Overall the experience was okay. The lead generation that comes from the group feels forced and I am not 100% sold that joining BNI will be right for my business. Going to test out a couple more BNI chapters next week. Worst case scenario I will get to shake a few more hands and meet a few more faces from the area.
    • Attended a networking event and signed up for my new Chamber of Commerce today. A much better experience! People legitimately want to help my business and I gained 2 appointments with local businesses who want some help.

Overall Summary
    The last 10 days have been strange. I have felt extremely busy, but I haven't made any progress. The reason is that I have been avoiding the most important thing... Selling. I have come to the realization that I am terrified of selling.

I think that it is something that I have always known, but I treated it like a switch that I could easily flip on someday.

I always made excuses about why I hadn't turned it on, and now that I am working full time on my business, I don't have any excuses to hide behind.

I never gave the skillset the amount of respect that it deserved. I'm studying my a$$ off and It is time to put up or shut up.

Starting on Monday. I am going to start cold calling 30 participants per day. Similar to the format from the
    thread 90 Day Cold Calling Challenge, I am challenging myself to practice cold calling and make progress towards mastering the skill.

The difference is that my 90-day challenge needs to generate some actual results or I am dead in the water.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 11:56 PM
    MakeItHappen and BlackMagician like this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.