The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Creating a Successful YouTube Channel in the Business/Finance Niche

Boychamp

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jun 13, 2019
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I am really brainstorming projects and ways I can
1) Create passive income for the channel other than Google Adsense

Create lead magnets based off the content you're creating and build an email list with it. Through this, the options are relatively endless. Affiliate tools/products that you use, Amazon affiliates, you can also boost your channel by sending notifications when vids are released, if you ever decide to create a digital product down the line you have a launchpad, etc, etc.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Well done Aubrey. I just checked out the start of your latest video. You present very well. Good work.

Marked Notable. What's your biggest learnings this year? What's your plans for next year?

Thanks Andy! My biggest learning lesson has for sure been to just stick to it and continue trying to improve - I think that with Youtube (but really any business venture) it can be tough because you have a specific vision of what you want to do and it can be really easy to try to get ahead of yourself and/or even get discouraged by your progress in comparison to other people. I've been trying to really put a focus on just staying focused on what I can control, how I can improve every day and every week, and try not to pay attention to anything else. It's been helpful taking this approach.

I have a ton of plans for next year that I am super pumped about - I mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I have a business doing peer-to-peer car sharing with a fleet of 12 cars. I am currently working on a course that I am going to sell walking people through the process of managing a passive fleet in peer-to-peer car sharing.

I am making the dive into real estate investing and will be 1-2 properties this year, which will be documented on this channel.

I have a lot of ideas on how to monetize my current reach, from creating courses on income streams to growing the YouTube channel...etc

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::oops::oops:

That's so awesome! Huge congratulations.

@MJ DeMarco, time for that GOLD tag. So deserved for Aubrey's incredible progress.

Aubrey, in your video How I Make $20,000 Per Month at 27 Years Old it's very easy to see how comfortable you are filming yourself and talking in front of the camera. That's a great skill in itself. Excellent execution. It's very inspiring.

Thank you! I appreciate the kind comment! I for sure have gotten more comfortable over the last year or so creating videos!

Damn, how the hell did I miss this?

Subscribed! Congrats! GOLD!

Thank you!

DebtFreeDr

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 13, 2021
Louisiana
Thank you! I appreciate the kind words!

@MJ DeMarco No, not a ton, unfortunately. I am not a particularly strong writer, so it is something I am doing to get better at as a craft, but not a main focus as far as revenue streams go.
@AubreyJ , you've inspired me to post more frequently on my newly established YouTube channel.

A couple of things....

#1 You mentioned in a previous post that you may start making videos about real estate investing (REI). If so, I'd be happy to assist as my channel is dedicated to this.

#2 If you need guidance writing (blogging), I can help point you in the right direction with this as everything I've learned as basically been free online. I started a blog 3 years ago and once you have a system down, it's VERY easy.

#3 If you're really interested in blogging, simply repurpose your YT videos. You can use Rev.com to get transcripts of your current videos and then turn them into blog articles. If you decide to go this route, give me a shout and I can share the software I use to increase your chances that you'll rank in the Top 10 on Google. I only pay $49/month for this service.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
This thread is the reason I started to do more on YouTube with my mining stuff. I never planned on really doing anything with it until I saw what you were able to accomplish with yours.

So thank you for that! Congrats on your success and it is very cool to hear your fiance has joined you.

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Wow, I appreciate all the kind words! I have certainly been trying to figure out what sticks (and also what I enjoy doing) over the last 10+ years.

I LOVE this forum, and it is one of the only places on the internet where I have documented rather consistently the trials and errors of my career - I joined this forum when I was 20, I just recently turned 28 and I think it's really easy to look at what you are doing now and forget about how much you tried that failed (in my case many of which has been documented on this forum).

- I tried to create an app and failed (there is a thread somewhere about that)
- I opened a franchise and it was one of the hardest things I ever did but also one of the biggest lessons (there is also a thread somewhere on this as well)
- I tried to create an online community around franchising and failed
...the list truly goes on and on and on.

I guess what I am trying to get at is there are a lot of teens and people in their early 20's in this community and it feels like just yesterday I was also a part of that group (crazy to think I am nearing 30) but the important part of this journey is to just keep trying. If you fail, evaluate why you failed, pivot, adjust and then get back at it.

Consistently showing up for yourself in whatever you are wanting to accomplish is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of success. Also execution - far too many people talk about what they are wanting to accomplish without actually doing anything - action faking will be the demise of your success.

I guess while I am here I can give a brief update since it has been a few months since my last one.

Life has been really good - I have been really in hustle mode the last 2 years trying to build my streams of income and the work is paying off - here is sort of the highlight reel

- My fiance and partner of 7 years quit his job over the Summer to help me with the business full time, he has since taken over the rental/peer-to-peer sharing part of the business - We have 17 vehicles spread across multiple platforms.
- My YouTube channel is currently sitting at 73k subs - I switched up my content over the summer and also changed the frequency in which I post (went from 7 days per week to 3 days per week) and I saw a pretty significant hit in performance with this change, but that was to be expected. I since have found my stride and the channel stats are ticking back up again. I wanted to hit 100k subs by the end of the year, I doubt that will happen but that's okay, I am happy with the progress.
- I started a second channel with my fiance - this channel is a vlog channel, it has been going well.
- My online courses are doing far better than I expected, the goal was to make $10k from these in 2021, and I will pass $50k in revenue for these - an income source that is almost entirely passive.

I am averaging about $25k-$30k in month across all my revenue streams.

If anyone has any questions about YouTube or how to get started I would love to help answer any questions - I have not been doing a good job about checking in on this thread but will try to pop in once a week at least.
I have so many questions haha. I've got one channel with around 2k subs from just messing around. But looking to start a personal finance channel that is a mix between Meet Kevin and James Jani--so more cinematic but in the personal finance CPM category. Problem is I need to find a nice mix between authenticity and grifting for views/cash. I often find myself becoming a slave to the algorithm or clickbaity titles. I guess that's the name of the game though, right.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
Thank you for the feedback! I totally agree with you, I think it's important to stay positive - I will make a more conscious effort to not to be so critical but more so constructive in future videos

I just subbed to your channel as well - I am excited to check out some of your videos!
You are most welcome Ma'am. Thank your for the sub, responding and watching. All the best.

Lionhearted

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
May 29, 2012
Killeen Texas
You are most welcome Ma'am. Thank your for the sub, responding and watching. All the best.
I am watching your videos as well and learning tons about Turo. Very interesting as I am very handy with cars. Thanks again.

Last edited:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Those are solid numbers! Nice work.

Check out this channel (you might know it already): Nate O'Brien

He is in the same niche and had/has massive channel growth.

He has a video where he shows YT income and its like 250k a year (probably way higher now). Then add in on top his own income streams from the audience etc.

The niche you are in is a great one with lots of people searching all the time - you should do really well.

Best of luck!

Thank you! Yeah, I am already subbed to him, found him a couple of weeks ago - it's a great channel!

It is absolutely insane the amount that some of these YouTube creators can make from their channels.

Last edited:

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Also, try to get the viewers more involved so they leave a comment. After the first couple of minutes, ask a question.... since you talk a lot about Turo, maybe something like... what do you think the 1st car listed on Turo was? Mix in a few quirky car questions and facts in every video. Do this in every video so people get used to it. Do it quick so it doesn't take up but a few seconds and also quickly give the answer to last video's question. Just a thought to get the viewers a little more involved.

I love that idea! I will definitely try this!

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Rental car industry being slammed due to corona. How is Turo being affected?

Maybe a video on how the space is changing due to the current market conditions?

Turo is getting slammed pretty badly - no commuting or travel means no one needs a car. I for sure have plans to make a video on this in the future - I created one shortly after C0VlD-19 started, but haven't done one since.

Wil22

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Jun 8, 2020
Philadelphia,Pa
Here are the stats I was sent by YouTube for the month of AprilView attachment 32905

The count on this is a bit delayed and hasn't accounted for the subs I've gained the last week

Current Sub Count: 596 Subs
This amazing growth was all from YouTube vids and the partnership? Wow. Can you reveal ( if not it’s OK) are the cars lease or do you own them? Seems like a huge outlays of value-vouchers.

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
This amazing growth was all from YouTube vids and the partnership? Wow. Can you reveal ( if not it’s OK) are the cars lease or do you own them? Seems like a huge outlays of value-vouchers.

Thank you! I own all the cars I rent on Turo
I can see from your channel that your highest viewcount content is all surrounding this EIDL Grant. Instead of hopping to something random in business/finance, why not dig a little deeper here?

The people that are chasing this content, what else are they looking for? What other questions could they be asking themselves? You have a video with 288k views - I think that's a lot of potential feedback to work with. Can you dig thru the comments and see if you pick up any patterns?

Not saying you necessarily chase EIDL or other trendy things as an overall strategy, but if you're beginning to get traction (I think 288k views is great - you hit something with the YT algorithm there), you could potentially have more content that triggers that algorithm to put your face out.

Once you have a stronger following, subscribers, notifications, wtv, you can leverage that reach for your other ideas. Might be some gold here you're not seeing, but what do I know, I'm no YT expert. Just speculating.

I 100% agree with you! And that is what I have been doing for the most part - the first video that hit the algorithm was back in May and it was an EIDL video - it got 3k views and my subscriber base at the time was only 200, and from there I have been creating more and more videos - some answering FAQ, some walking through the appeals, application process...etc. all of which have gotten more and more views with the best one hitting almost 400k

I for sure plan to lean into stimulus content and EIDL content as long as I can and as long as it can stay relevant. I am also trying to tow this line of doing content that gets views (EIDL) but not coming off as someone who is making videos just for the sake of views - i want to make sure to continue to add value, and at some point the EIDL won't be a value add anymore and at that point I will have to move on

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Create lead magnets based off the content you're creating and build an email list with it. Through this, the options are relatively endless. Affiliate tools/products that you use, Amazon affiliates, you can also boost your channel by sending notifications when vids are released, if you ever decide to create a digital product down the line you have a launchpad, etc, etc.

Yes, that is definitely a plan! I currently keep a list of ideas of what I want to do once I have the audience to support it - currently already executing on a view of those ideas. The options are endless

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
It has been far too long since I have made an update - so the last 6 months have been really great.

I am still doing Youtube and now have a subscriber base of just under 35k subscribers, my channel has gotten just about 2 million views this year and over the last few months, I have started posting daily videos.

Currently, I have a few brand deals and have a few really exciting opportunities in the works that really were only possible from this YouTube channel.

As of now, I am focusing on how to grow this even more in 2021 and how to spin this off into multiple revenue streams. Here are my updated analytics below:

With brand deals and sponsorships I should hit just about $40k in total revenue for 2020.

View attachment 35871
Well done Aubrey. I just checked out the start of your latest video. You present very well. Good work.

Marked Notable. What's your biggest learnings this year? What's your plans for next year?

spreng

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Jul 1, 2019
Well done, just saw this thread. You had a q2 goal of 500 subs and now have 35k o.o.

personal finance has epic CPM

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
@AubreyJ - are you still writing as a major focus, or is that in the past? Hobby?

Alfie321

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Sep 29, 2016
Hey Aubrey it is great to see your progress, it was suggested to me to check out your thread since I'm doing basically the same, but mexican version. It's awesome you got so far in such a short period of time :)

Ramius

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
106%
Jul 10, 2017
South Yorkshire, England
This is extremely inspiring stuff for the new YouTube creators. Congratulations on your hard work paying off, Aubrey! Your channel looks awesome, and I'm sure the only way is up for you!

fastlanedoll

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Aug 21, 2019

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, I appreciate all the kind words! I have certainly been trying to figure out what sticks (and also what I enjoy doing) over the last 10+ years.

I LOVE this forum, and it is one of the only places on the internet where I have documented rather consistently the trials and errors of my career - I joined this forum when I was 20, I just recently turned 28 and I think it's really easy to look at what you are doing now and forget about how much you tried that failed (in my case many of which has been documented on this forum).

- I tried to create an app and failed (there is a thread somewhere about that)
- I opened a franchise and it was one of the hardest things I ever did but also one of the biggest lessons (there is also a thread somewhere on this as well)
- I tried to create an online community around franchising and failed
...the list truly goes on and on and on.

I guess what I am trying to get at is there are a lot of teens and people in their early 20's in this community and it feels like just yesterday I was also a part of that group (crazy to think I am nearing 30) but the important part of this journey is to just keep trying. If you fail, evaluate why you failed, pivot, adjust and then get back at it.

Consistently showing up for yourself in whatever you are wanting to accomplish is THE MOST IMPORTANT part of success. Also execution - far too many people talk about what they are wanting to accomplish without actually doing anything - action faking will be the demise of your success.

I guess while I am here I can give a brief update since it has been a few months since my last one.

Life has been really good - I have been really in hustle mode the last 2 years trying to build my streams of income and the work is paying off - here is sort of the highlight reel

- My fiance and partner of 7 years quit his job over the Summer to help me with the business full time, he has since taken over the rental/peer-to-peer sharing part of the business - We have 17 vehicles spread across multiple platforms.
- My YouTube channel is currently sitting at 73k subs - I switched up my content over the summer and also changed the frequency in which I post (went from 7 days per week to 3 days per week) and I saw a pretty significant hit in performance with this change, but that was to be expected. I since have found my stride and the channel stats are ticking back up again. I wanted to hit 100k subs by the end of the year, I doubt that will happen but that's okay, I am happy with the progress.
- I started a second channel with my fiance - this channel is a vlog channel, it has been going well.
- My online courses are doing far better than I expected, the goal was to make $10k from these in 2021, and I will pass $50k in revenue for these - an income source that is almost entirely passive.

I am averaging about $25k-$30k in month across all my revenue streams.

If anyone has any questions about YouTube or how to get started I would love to help answer any questions - I have not been doing a good job about checking in on this thread but will try to pop in once a week at least.

Thanks for sharing your progress. So I'm guessing the fiance is a believer in entrepreneurship? Or was he was just come by way of your backdraft?

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia

WellWallet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Mar 6, 2019
THANK YOU so much for documenting your journey! This thread has certainly given me encouragement for my own youtube channel in the Personal Finance niche. (My channel here )

1. Don't compare - I have about 7,500 subscribers and have been at this for 7 years. I post consistently once a week and make about $100 per month. The CPMs are pretty decent, but some people are making way more I am and a few are making less. I try not to get bogged down in comparison, but it's good to know that that there is potential in this niche.

2. KEEP IT MOVING! - This is probably my biggest lesson and my biggest challenge. I know that the key is to keep moving. Try new things, fail quick, don't get stuck in the "consideration" phase, just get an idea up and running.

3. Branch out - don't put all my hope in one bucket and don't get stuck on my idea of what I "want" to work and instead, look at what's actually working.

I can't wait for your next update!

Panos Daras

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Oct 10, 2022
Amazing thread! I can only imagine the hard work needed to upload videos 3 times a week!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.