The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Copywriting for BORING businesses

Marketing, social media, advertising

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
I find it fairly easy to write compelling copy for exciting things, like a new food or a video game.

But how do you go about writing copy for a really BORING business? I mean niches like steel fabrication or welding.

The only thing I could think of is making a swipe file from other similar businesses. But, I have no idea if their copy is effective or not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
Copywriting is advertising.

The goal of advertising is not to entertain, it is to sell products.

Copy cannot create a desire for a product. It can only take the hopes, dreams, fears and desires of peoples and focus those already existing desires onto a product. Whether product is “boring” is in the eye of the person buying. Your job is to direct that desire.
Your job is to:
1. Get attention.
2. Communicate.
3. Persuade

These days we are drowning in information but starving for knowledge.

You are not in the business of being original, great copywriters reuse things that work. Your idea to start with swipe file from other businesses is good, as long as you know them to be effective!

Ask:
- Who is my customer?
- What are the important features of the product?
- Why will the customer want to buy the product?

IMO, you may find writing a copy for a ”boring“ business even easier because there are fewer great copywriters in that space.

Hope this helps.

Cameraman

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
206%
Sep 25, 2021
UK

Copy cannot create a desire for a product. It can only take the hopes, dreams, fears and desires of peoples and focus those already existing desires onto a product. Whether product is “boring” is in the eye of the person buying. Your job is to direct that desire.
Your job is to:
1. Get attention.
2. Communicate.
3. Persuade

You are not in the business of being original, great copywriters reuse things that work. Your idea to start with swipe file from other businesses is good, as long as you know them to be effective!

Ask:
- Who is my customer?

IMO, you may find writing a copy for a ”boring“ business even easier because there are fewer great copywriters in that space.

Hope this helps.
Great advice.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
But how do you go about writing copy for a really BORING business? I mean niches like steel fabrication or welding.
Is it boring for the person who needs welding done or the person who makes a living as a welder?

Saad Khan

Amazon Ads Guy
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan

Your job is to:
1. Get attention.
2. Communicate.
3. Persuade

Ask:
- Who is my customer?

Hope this helps.
Hey, I read that in breakthrough advertising!

Great advice, these fundamentals are absolutely necessary to understand. I even took a screenshot!

Well worth a second read, and a third as well!

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
As a result of my geographical location, I primarily do copywriting for steel fabrication, oil and gas, and other various "boring" trade industries. I've found that these types of jobs tend to pay me on time and whatever I ask, and the tradeoff is that I have to slog through what to me often feels like uninspiring work.

My advice is this — fantasize a little bit. Sit back, close your eyes and imagine what a really cool commercial for say, a steel door manufacturer would look like. Imagine the molten hot steel being poured into the frame, hissing and steaming as the liquid takes shape. Think about the colors, the smells, etc. Then, try to vividly describe the aspects of the fantasy that appeal to you and your target customer. I find that trying to romanticize the job at least gets me motivated to work on it at the very least, and maybe even tap into a well of inspiration in your brain.

Make sure you combine my fictional writing techniques with some good old-fashioned SEO/Keyword research and viola.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Is it boring for the person who needs welding done or the person who makes a living as a welder?

Find people who get excited about these things and interview them! Ask them in-depth questions about why they like certain products over others, the problems, issues, challenges.

The old quote "if you can articulate their problem better than they can in their own head, you've got 'em"

"don't you hate it when..."

"isn't it the worst when..."

"have you ever experience this..."

Andy said it best here. It's about diving into their world. You might not care about welding, but that guy who has worked in the industry his entire life, prides himself on perfect welds, takes pictures of his work, brags to his friends -- that's the type of person who anybody could get excited with!

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Most Copywriting is down to the offer being relevant.

'Nobody got fired buying IBM' across the picture of a boring computer.

Is that compelling in your view? It 100% was to IT Managers around the world.

'Diamonds are a girls best friend' De Beers (who also told women that the man in their life should be spending 3 months of their paycheck on the ring too in another advert)

Those Copywriters knew exactly who their market was and what to say to them and only took a few words to do so.

Dan

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Most Copywriting is down to the offer being relevant.

'Nobody got fired buying IBM' across the picture of a boring computer.

Is that compelling in your view? It 100% was to IT Managers around the world.

'Diamonds are a girls best friend' De Beers (who also told women that the man in their life should be spending 3 months of their paycheck on the ring too in another advert)

Those Copywriters knew exactly who their market was and what to say to them and only took a few words to do so.

Dan
My husband is one of those guys who has a big shop full of tools and materials. The yard is full of heavy equipment and big boy toys. He gets just excited over his welding/metal fabricating stuff as I get over a new laptop. Our little patch of woods is his whole world.

I'm not sure how you would reach him with ads. He doesn't go on the net or social sites -- he doesn't care unless it concerns our family. He watches very little TV -- news, educational, and weather only. He sometimes listens to the radio, but that's usually background noise that gets drowned out by his power tools. He only talks on the phone when he must -- and those conversations are generally very short. He's not an easy man to influence from the outside.

I tend to be his window on the world. I run down whatever he needs and buy it for him. Also, I am his buffer on the world. This morning I went to town and ran down parts for him concerning his current project. I took a picture of its current stage in construction on my phone before I left. I got the parts and a drawing of how they go together from the parts man. This afternoon, my husband will probably be able to complete that new system.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This reminds me of a"song" from way back: "Difficult For You, Easy For Me"

Copywriting is an occupation best suited to people who can put themselves in others' shoes. I have a friend who is a welder, and he treats every job like a work of art. I know his workmanship is excellent and his attention to detail is fastidious.

So could you imagine writing copy about the way Michaelangelo lay on his back for four years while delicately painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

If you can, then translate that to writing copy for what you consider mundane work.

Walter

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska

Copywriting is an occupation best suited to people who can put themselves in others' shoes. I have a friend who is a welder, and he treats every job like a work of art. I know his workmanship is excellent and his attention to detail is fastidious.

So could you imagine writing copy about the way Michaelangelo lay on his back for four years while delicately painting the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel?

If you can, then translate that to writing copy for what you consider mundane work.

Walter
No work is "mundane" to the person who loves it!

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana

Walter
This. I know a dude who loves to turn wrenches on cars, literally gets excited over Mopar vs GM debates, etc.

I barely know what those words mean, but for him it's a trigger word that gets him listening. Hell, sometimes I'll make fun of his Jeep just to get his attention.

A good starting point to reach people like this would be to find out what their trigger words are and base your copy around that.

Canadoz

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jul 13, 2018
I find it fairly easy to write compelling copy for exciting things, like a new food or a video game.

The only thing I could think of is making a swipe file from other similar businesses. But, I have no idea if their copy is effective or not.

Fung Fu Steve has hit the nail on the head.

You have to dive deep here and interview actual workers in the industry.
Could you do this over zoom? Another way of doing this is by attending a conference where you get totally immersed in their industry for 2-3 days.

Trying to pick up their pain points on an internet forums will be very difficult. You're going to have to be proactive here.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.