The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Let's Play a Game: Brainstorming Boring Business Ideas

Idea threads

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
So many people today want to launch businesses in sexy and trendy industries they're passionate about. This creates opportunities in boring niches, for entrepreneurs who don't have such preferences and simply want to solve problems and get paid (well) for it.

Unfortunately, many people on this forum get stuck, considering only ideas in niches they know something about and/or considering only the most "fun" or otherwise interesting industries. But there's a whole world of businesses that nobody talks about, yet they often generate 10x, 100x, or 1000x more than your standard YouTube channels, social media marketing agencies, or e-commerce businesses.

So let's play a game to broaden our horizons a little. There are only two rules:

1. Brainstorm 3 business ideas in the industry mentioned by the previous poster. Bonus points for providing examples/links/research on why you think it could work. Don't worry if you have no idea what you're talking about and don't worry if the ideas are shit and/or you aren't sure if they can work. It's just a brainstorming exercise.

2. Head here: https://www.ibisworld.com/united-states/list-of-industries/ and randomly pick an industry for the next player. Ideally it's something you have no idea about and it's a boring niche that nobody (or almost nobody) would enter because they're passionate about it.

Forget about your passions and forget about what you know. The point of the game is to set aside your preferences and biases regarding the kind of a business you can start. Practice doing research and thinking like a entrepreneur looking for problems to solve instead of coming up with a narrow set of business ideas from your own world.

Feel free to comment on any of the previous ideas - it's a game but also a way to uncover and discuss some interesting ideas in overlooked industries.

Here's an example:

Let's say the previous poster picked used car dealers as an industry (I literally scrolled down the list on IBISWorld with my eyes closed and randomly pointed at this industry).

What's available for free on IBISworld at this link already gives me some ideas and even says that the industry will maintain steady growth.

Here are my 3 ideas:

1. A used car dealer that sells only work vans, trucks, and/or buses for small businesses. Imagine you're an entrepreneur who wants to get into, say, mowing lawns, building sheds, or porch installation. You need a reliable, cheap vehicle. Of course, you could buy it online from a random person or from CarMax (which I learned is one of the biggest used car dealers online in the US). But I imagine many people would rather visit a used car dealer that specializes ONLY in vehicles for small businesses and can offer additional services for entrepreneurs like you (like favorable financing that you won't get in other places or fitting your vehicle with stuff you need for work).

2. A course or a membership site on how to start and run a used car dealership. For this idea, I used Answer the Public. People are searching for keywords related to how to start a used car dealership. I imagine that at least some of them could be interested in a course on how to do it. Or imagine a membership site with monthly calls with tips and tricks how to run a successful used car dealership. As far as I know, Alex Hormozi did something like this for gyms.

3. SEO services for used car dealers ONLY. Again, specialization would make you stand out. Local SEO in smaller cities/areas shouldn't be that hard to master to provide excellent results. Alternatively you could start websites for chosen cities and towns yourself (for example, a website targeting "used car dealer taos nm") and then sell them (or sell the leads) to the dealers. Considering how many smaller towns/cities there are in the US, the scale is huge.

Note that I have NO idea about used car dealers which is exactly the point of this game. So let's start.

The next poster provides 3 business ideas related to convention & visitor bureaus. I had no idea what it actually was until I checked it lol.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
So many people today want to launch businesses in sexy and trendy industries they're passionate about.

As far as I know, Alex Hormozi did something like this for gyms.

I like the game idea, and at the same time I think industry experience is crucial when starting any kind of business. Look at Alex Hormozi, he basically started his own gym, because he liked the industry, made it work and then scaled to a gym sales training business. He was able to do so, because he knew he could deliver on his promises, because he did so for himself (scratching his own itch). So, I wouldn‘t condemn passion businesses.

The next poster provides 3 business ideas related to convention & visitor bureaus. I had no idea what it actually was until I checked it lol.

So here are my three business ideas:

1. White label app for visitor bureaus: I read that „Industry Products and Services“ in this space also contains „Visitor information and sightseeing tour services“. How about creating a white label app, where visitor bureaus can easily create their own individualized app including local businesses, travel tips and interactive map. Visitor bureaus can sell advertising space to local business. The white label app contains CMS, invoicing and analytics.
  2. White label app for conventions: Basically the same as the first idea but for conventions. It says „Convention and conference meeting planning“ ist one of the industry main tasks. I guess there are hand outs with booth plans and so on. My idea is to digitize this through a white label app that lets convention visitors know where which booth is and where what event takes place during the convention. App should support ticket sales and validation, advertising for companies taking part in the convention to reach more people to visit their booth and analytics for convention organizers.
  3. ERP System for convention bureaus: An ERP System to help convention bureaus plan and sell booth space and plan conventions. It includes pricing, invoicing and payment system and streamlines communication with customers (companies) and allows ticket sales (connect with 2nd idea).
Next:

Testing & Educational Support

notorious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Dec 29, 2021
1. Test preparation center for university students: You choose any university degree (such as Computer Science) and then analyse the curriculum, earlier exams, lectures and literature of a specific subject in that degree. Ideally it's a hard subject that many students need help with. Then you create a "training" around that subject to teach everything there is to students, so that they pass the final exam. Create a powerpoint presentation, then teach the most important material and help them out with their problems. Teach to like 10 students at a time and money will be flowing, eventually scale your operations and hire other students who already passed and pay them a cut. Ensure that the exam trainings are of excellent quality and you'll establish a good brand among students.

2. Tutoring software: Imagine a variant of Zoom that's specifically catered towards teaching. Or even a niche within teaching like Mathematics or Chemistry. It'd include ways to explain the material but also immediately test the pupil. Lots of possibilities here, as most teachers still use Zoom.

3. University subject summaries: Same as 1, but in paper form. Students these days don't want to read 100+ pages and they'd happily pay for a good summary that covers the neccesities instead.

Next:
Movie Theaters

hatedsalesrep

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 2, 2017
Orlando, FL
A franchising business for drive-in cinemas. Based on this report, and anecdotal experience drive-in movies are seeing a resurgence. Young people that have money to spend want to see a movie in their car. The idea here would be to create a guidebook that would give high-net worth individuals the ability to finance a drive-in cinema and profit the sales from tickets and food. We would include helping with securing land, movie licensing, food vendor partners, and marketing then take a percentage of the revenue.

South American film distributor - Seeing as how there is a spike in foreign movie viewers in the USA, there is an untapped market of movies from the Spanish speaking countries (We already know people loved Casa de Papel). Seeking out these films, building relationships with the actors and filmmakers (which means mingling around the country you are, but doable as opposed to hanging out with Brad Pitt) and then hustling to distribute these movies into the global market would be an interesting opportunity for anyone who can hustle and is sales oriented.

A marketplace to connect film with distributors - I found some sites that did this, but there seems to be a lot of gatekeeping through creating an account and jumping through hoops and even then, the films are old. I'm envisioning a marketplace where indie filmmakers from different countries can upload their movies in an Airbnb/Turo type format and get connected with distributors who can reach out through there to form a deal. The cut of the marketplace would be a percentage of the sale or a fee.

Honorary mention - ancillary stuff like offering closed captioning services for international movies (in Spain) to translate their films to English. Or...dubbed services. Not sure. So much stuff!

This was so much fun. It was also so interesting to go down a rabbit hole and learn about things like film distributors...Who'd a thought that was a thing.

Next:
Public School Bus Service

Jaxsss

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 13, 2021
Technology that keeps track if student boarded the bus safely: There would be some sort of personal card and when you board the bus, you just put the card near the reader. It's registered that you entered the bus, parents will get notification through an app, and they will see where the bus is at the current moment (only when the child is on board). I think for parents with smaller children, this would be really great since they will know exactly if their kids got to the bus, and if they arrived safely.

Company transforming school buses to be barrier-free: For some schools that are specifically for students with disabilities, the buses would be a great help. I think that parents drive their kids to the school by themselves, if he/she is in a wheelchair. Bus would be transformed for safety and it would be a lot cheaper than to buy a school bus that is already barrier-free.

Breakfast / snacks for students on the bus:
I'm not so sure about this. The main goal would be to serve healthy breakfast or some mid-day snack meal for children. Company would get to the bus driver at the starting station, bus driver would pick up the meals and then give it to the kid based on the order number. Parents would not have to make it themselves, and it would be great if kids got breakfast specifically made for them, it would be diverse and they won't eat the same breakfast / snack over and over.

@MTF really great idea to start this thread, it's interesting to just try to brainstorm some ideas in industries you don't know much of.

Next:
Solar Power Industry

Mat79

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
May 2, 2020
Dallas, TX
Considering the climate change issues we're facing...

1. Home water storage systems sales and installation
2. Car port coverings (any sort of coverings around homes and businesses to help beat the heat)
3. Solar power and home generators. (In Texas we've had serious issues with the reliability of our power grid, both in the summer and winter.)

These would be mostly seasonal businesses, but it seems like more of the country is going to be facing serious heat waves in the future for longer periods of time.

jdm667

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
216%
Jan 27, 2020
Boston, MA
Technology that keeps track if student boarded the bus safely: There would be some sort of personal card and when you board the bus, you just put the card near the reader. It's registered that you entered the bus, parents will get notification through an app, and they will see where the bus is at the current moment (only when the child is on board). I think for parents with smaller children, this would be really great since they will know exactly if their kids got to the bus, and if they arrived safely.

Company transforming school buses to be barrier-free: For some schools that are specifically for students with disabilities, the buses would be a great help. I think that parents drive their kids to the school by themselves, if he/she is in a wheelchair. Bus would be transformed for safety and it would be a lot cheaper than to buy a school bus that is already barrier-free.

Breakfast / snacks for students on the bus: I'm not so sure about this. The main goal would be to serve healthy breakfast or some mid-day snack meal for children. Company would get to the bus driver at the starting station, bus driver would pick up the meals and then give it to the kid based on the order number. Parents would not have to make it themselves, and it would be great if kids got breakfast specifically made for them, it would be diverse and they won't eat the same breakfast / snack over and over.

@MTF really great idea to start this thread, it's interesting to just try to brainstorm some ideas in industries you don't know much of.

Next:
Solar Power Industry
1. An app that calculates ROI or time to break-even on a solar project for residential or commercial owners. Takes into account federal and state tax credits, local utility rates, and energy cost trends. Monetization would be lead-gen for local solar panel installers (engineering as marketing).

2. Solar power systems for home gardeners or commercial growers. Solar water pumps, electricity (for hydroponic, aquaponics, or aeroponic systems), fans and heaters (for cooling or warming greenhouses), etc. As conventional energy prices skyrocket, food shipping costs increase, groceries get more expensive, and demand for local produce rises, ROI for this niche becomes ever higher.

3. Solar powered charging stations for electric cars. Biggest challenges would be batteries/power storage and peak demand times.

Next niche: HR/Recruiting

Kirk84

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Jun 9, 2020
Munich, Germany
I really enjoy this game and I think it's a shame that there are not many more people playing it. But I guess, it's not an easy game to play, and most people are not looking to put in some work without the sense of instant gratification.

Ok, let's continue!

Niche: HR / Recruiting
  1. Bot for Recruiters
    A bot that helps Recruiters find potential candidates on LinkedIn without the need to fill out all that horrible LI Navigator form. The Bot reads through the job offer, automatically translates the requirements in a LI search, returns the best candidates, and sends them an automated but personalized message with why they would be a great fit for the company.

2. Dev Recruiting Automatic Grader
    When finding candidates for a position in software development, companies mostly rely on coding tasks. My idea is an automatic grader for code returned by the candidate. When doing courses on coursera, I noticed there was an automatic grader that would tell me right away, if I succeeded and how well I did. I'm not sure how this works with recruiting but there might be a way. At the same time, I'm not sure if this is an issue for recruiters at all.

3. Anonymizer for Applicants
    Studies have shown, that companies tend to employ the same type of person over and over. AI startups have tried to build systems, that helps companies shift though sometimes an unbearable amount of applicants by training an machine learning model with all the past decisions of the companies and use this model to sort out new applicants - only to find out that there is a lot of social bias in the past decisions. My system help solve this issue as incoming applications are being anonymized. Any personal data, picture and anything which would lead someone to assume the applicants race, would be either deleted completely or rephrased. For example, "University of Delhi" would be shortened to "University".
Next Industry: Plastics Wholesaling in the US

Joejordan95

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Sep 12, 2021
U.K
I really enjoy this game and I think it's a shame that there are not many more people playing it. But I guess, it's not an easy game to play, and most people are not looking to put in some work without the sense of instant gratification.

Ok, let's continue!

Niche: HR / Recruiting
  1. Bot for Recruiters
    A bot that helps Recruiters find potential candidates on LinkedIn without the need to fill out all that horrible LI Navigator form. The Bot reads through the job offer, automatically translates the requirements in a LI search, returns the best candidates, and sends them an automated but personalized message with why they would be a great fit for the company.

2. Dev Recruiting Automatic Grader
    When finding candidates for a position in software development, companies mostly rely on coding tasks. My idea is an automatic grader for code returned by the candidate. When doing courses on coursera, I noticed there was an automatic grader that would tell me right away, if I succeeded and how well I did. I'm not sure how this works with recruiting but there might be a way. At the same time, I'm not sure if this is an issue for recruiters at all.

3. Anonymizer for Applicants
    Studies have shown, that companies tend to employ the same type of person over and over. AI startups have tried to build systems, that helps companies shift though sometimes an unbearable amount of applicants by training an machine learning model with all the past decisions of the companies and use this model to sort out new applicants - only to find out that there is a lot of social bias in the past decisions. My system help solve this issue as incoming applications are being anonymized. Any personal data, picture and anything which would lead someone to assume the applicants race, would be either deleted completely or rephrased. For example, "University of Delhi" would be shortened to "University".
Next Industry: Plastics Wholesaling in the US
Thought I'd give it ago with plastics wholesaling in the ?US

1. With Demand expected to grow for plastic especially in construction and manufacturing.
Wholesalers could look to employ a 3D printing aspect for their business.
Similar to how construction businesses are using 3d printers to build houses, plastics wholesalers could build structure, quickly and cheaply and wholesale large more intricate structures, selling them to an array of businesses.

2.Just couldn't seem to come up with anything else for the industry!

NEXT INDUSTRY: FINE ARTS SCHOOLS IN THE US

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Here because @Kirk84 shamed us for not giving an answer lol

Industry: Fine Arts Schools in the US

Thought process: Search through the industry a bit to familiarize myself, see what ideas come to mind. I think targeting the schools themselves is a good idea because schools have more money than students. There are more things that schools buy as opposed to students. You are more likely to find an idea that has an absurd margin and a niche that provides less competition.

Schools provide an opportunity for a forced relationship and captive audience. If the school backs you, they'll send everyone home with fliers. Maybe you can make it a mandatory expense too. Lots of opportunity.

The transition from college into a career seems like a major pain point with a lot of uncertainty.

Side note: this made me laugh my a$$ off

Screenshot (88).png

I've always said "the best business model is where someone just hands me money". So I'm thinking about how to just be handed money in the fine arts school industry.

Idea 1: Certification company to charge colleges for their certification, acquire students as users through network marketing

Create a website for finding arts colleges. It has all of them listed, ranked, etc. Turn it into a pyramid scheme of making people pay a fee to get in, offer financial incentive to people to get other people to join (other art students) as members. The value is that they get help in selecting an excellent art school and it's worth it since it's a huge financial decision and a simple $20 or something for helping make that decision is worth it. I think the pyramid scheme concept works really well for acquiring users and you could use it here. The people you'd have join it are already art school students with art student friends all in the same classes. Network marketing ftw. Perfect demographic for this strategy. It'll take nothing substantial to motivate them, and they are very connected as a demographic. Imagine you have convinced a handful of students that the only way they'll be able to pay for art school is recruiting their other student friends to be a part of your program, and they'll do it because they need to go to art school too. It'll spread. You don't need to make any profit from this because it's not the real business model, just a marketing strategy.

The real business model is when you get a bunch of users, create a certification organization. "The national association for art colleges". Then on your website/app, prioritize schools that are NAAC certified and pitch it to all of these colleges they should pay you thousands per month for their NAAC certification because it brings them tons of students.

These students in high school are only 1-2 years away from being in college, then when they're finally in school they'll be able to review the schools on your app and you'll have another value add. Then you can offer other things since you already have their attention.

Idea 2: Education program development firm

Schools need programs to attract students. There are cutting edge schools that can teach cutting edge stuff in terms of types of art. There probably is some new technology programs that only certain schools offer than other smaller schools don't. Go learn about the modern programs and find a way to help bring that type of program to a smaller school. Position yourself as an "education program development firm" and offer the service of instituting those programs in smaller schools so that they can bring in a new demographic. They'll attract more students that are looking for that program and you will likely be able to charge big bucks. You pitch a bunch of schools, they say "okay we'll do it" and you help that school start a new modernized program that they haven't had yet. This could work for lots of types of schools but possibly an art school too.

Idea 3: Resell or manufacture or become a dealer for art supplies for colleges. (maybe this isn't a need that is underserved. I assume a few companies have this pretty locked down but it's worth seeing if there's any inefficiencies or unfulfilled demand. I imagine asking some guy how he made his millions and he says "oh we provide all the clay that art colleges use")

Next Industry: MMA Gyms (mixed martial arts)

Makaveli7

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Jul 26, 2018
Industry: MMA Gyms (mixed martial arts)

Idea #1: An automated lead gen service that brings in new people to the gym. A FB campaign, or a Google Ads campaign that leads them to an introductory offer page, like a 2 week trial for $20 bucks + a free t shirt, or something like that. The goal is to get them in the door. I personally train, so I know most people sign up once they try it, but the biggest resistance is attending that first class.

Idea #2: A custom fit jiu jitsu gi manufacturer/service, like a bespoke suit. It's very difficult to find jiu jitsu gis that fit "just right." (I can vouch personally). I know some companies like Black Lapel or Indochino are making the bespoke suit experience available over the internet, so something like what these companies are doing, but for gis.

Idea #3: Band-Aids/wound wraps that DON'T COME OFF. I am frustrated by this and would buy a crate of this personally. No matter how many bandages and wound wraps I've tried, there's none that I've found that don't come off due to sweat, friction, or movement.

Next Industry: Firearms/Self Defense Gear

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
TOPIC: Next Industry: Firearms/Self Defense Gear

Rule 1: 1. Brainstorm 3 business ideas in the industry mentioned by the previous poster. Bonus points for providing examples/links/research on why you think it could work. Don't worry if you have no idea what you're talking about and don't worry if the ideas are shit and/or you aren't sure if they can work. It's a brainstorming exercise.

Reference: 10 common mistakes in self-defense firearms training

Idea 1 : Active Shooter Defense Coach. A person, who has dealt with real life active shooting incidents. Giving a certified course on how to take down a active shooter.

Idea 2 : General Public Arms Dealer with a badge. arms dealer means a natural person – a sole proprietor or a legal entity that is fully or partially involved in the manufacture of firearms, parts or ammunition thereof or performs other activities related to the manufacture of firearms, main parts or ammunition thereof as well as activities related to trade, repair, exchange or renting of firearms.

( Reference: arms dealer Definition | Law Insider

Idea 3: okay, third idea drawing blanks the idea here is a business that could stand against politicians trying to do away with rights to carry and use firearms. Next: Arcade, Food & Entertainment Complexes in the US

Ronnie Bryan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
May 4, 2015
Oklahoma
TOPIC: Next Industry: Firearms/Self Defense Gear

Rule 1: 1. Brainstorm 3 business ideas in the industry mentioned by the previous poster. Bonus points for providing examples/links/research on why you think it could work. Don't worry if you have no idea what you're talking about and don't worry if the ideas are shit and/or you aren't sure if they can work. It's a brainstorming exercise.

Reference: 10 common mistakes in self-defense firearms training

Idea 1 : Active Shooter Defense Coach. A person, who has dealt with real life active shooting incidents. Giving a certified course on how to take down a active shooter.

Idea 2 : General Public Arms Dealer with a badge. arms dealer means a natural person – a sole proprietor or a legal entity that is fully or partially involved in the manufacture of firearms, parts or ammunition thereof or performs other activities related to the manufacture of firearms, main parts or ammunition thereof as well as activities related to trade, repair, exchange or renting of firearms.

( Reference: arms dealer Definition | Law Insider

Idea 3: okay, third idea drawing blanks the idea here is a business that could stand against politicians trying to do away with rights to carry and use firearms. Next: Arcade, Food & Entertainment Complexes in the US
Idea 2 might already exist come to think about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.