The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Chasing Freedom - Creating My Own Digital Marketing Company

Marketing, social media, advertising

Crazy GG

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Mar 28, 2018
Riga, Latvia
2 Clients paid for 4-months of Marketing Services at $450/month.
One client also paid $350 for some general web design.

I offer my services on a month to month basis but I explain to my clients that it can take 5-6 months to see significant SEO progress. When I communicate that they both just wanted to pay a larger sum up front rather then scheduling the recurring payments.

Both of the clients know each other... so my guess is that they were talking to each other and both decided to do it the same way.

Hey Kyle!

First off - big congrats on the two sales you have made - that's very impressive.

I wanted to know what kind of SEO work will you be doing for your clients? Obviously there are so many things you can do - what will you do in the start?

Just on-page SEO or publishing content and link-building as well?

The reason I ask is that I sell websites, and many times people mention SEO and ask about it so I want to know at least a general idea of what I would do if someone asked me to do their SEO after I had built a site with them.

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina
Thanks a lot for the Udemy courses The Abundant Man, i'm watchin both Sean Marshall's and an all around digital marketing course. Amazing value !

Kyle you also got me inspired to follow your steps here in Argentina. Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks a lot !

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Update:
61 days since I started
, I am still sitting at 2 clients... but my pipeline is looking great! I have a bunch of quality leads in the pipeline and working on closing two more in the next week or so.

Book Recommendation:
I read "Fanatical Prospecting" and it has been GOLD in helping me to get in the right mindset and doing the things that are important to my business on a daily basis.

Even when my pipeline is looking full, I keep hustling and finding more prospects to squeeze in.

Every. Single. Day.

A Valuable Lesson Learned
Don't assume that your client's know ANYTHING.

Twice now I have talked to potential clients that have websites that are awful & 20 years out of date.

So what did I do? I told them the truth.

"Your current website kinda sucks...."

This inconvenient truth rubbed them the wrong way and didn't help my pitch at all.

Even if their website looks like it was built when AOL was king, don't assume that the client agrees with you about its shortcomings.

I will no longer put words into my client's mouth and will practice getting them to voice their marketing shortcomings before I call it out myself.

The Countdown is on:
The upcoming move is getting real for me, but rather than nervous, I am getting excited!
  • 9 days away from quitting my last ever job
  • 18 days away from moving out of California.
  • 19 days away from being able to chase this dream of freedom full time!

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Once you've determined that a prospect is a good lead, how do you go about getting in front of the decision maker?

In my experience, the biggest challenge with selling advertising/marketing services to local businesses has been the inability to get a hold of the DM efficiently.

Most of the local retail stores are run by employees (and managers) who often cannot make purchase decisions.

This leads to lengthy acquisition cycles which slow things down.

I'm curious how you're going about solving this.

I give them a call. Send them an email. Connect with them on LinkedIn.

Then I follow up relentlessly

My best method has been to reach out to people in my local network who have connections to the ideal businesses and ask them to initiate an introduction.

Surf16

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Jan 6, 2019
California
Great Job Kyle! Keep pushing forward.
Day 34

Sale #2 is in the books.

Not only that but both my clients have paid for 4-months up front. Great feeling to see a big number like that and now I must deliver the goods!

Now for an update that impacts my journey...

My family & I will be moving in couple months to allow my wife to stay home with our newborn. With the move, I will be unemployed for the first time in my adult life and I am committed to making this business a legitimate way to provide for my family. We will be staying with family for a few months and it seems to be the perfect opportunity to hustle as a full time entrepreneur for the first time.

Excited for the opportunity. The last thing that I want is to resort to finding a slowlane job. With that said, providing for my family is the number one priority so I will need to continue to hustle relentlessly.

Revenue in first 34 days: $3,942

Main focus is still on prospecting. I am a little nervous that my prospect pool may dry up so I am taking a few free projects to build my portfolio & gain testimonials.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Do you think you should start a business locally or internationally?
Just find people that you can help... Don't overthink it & don't limit yourself.

S.Y.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 4, 2017
Canada
Update:
61 days since I started
, I am still sitting at 2 clients... but my pipeline is looking great! I have a bunch of quality leads in the pipeline and working on closing two more in the next week or so.

Book Recommendation:
I read "Fanatical Prospecting" and it has been GOLD in helping me to get in the right mindset and doing the things that are important to my business on a daily basis.

Even when my pipeline is looking full, I keep hustling and finding more prospects to squeeze in.

Every. Single. Day.

The Countdown is on:
The upcoming move is getting real for me, but rather than nervous, I am getting excited!
  • 9 days away from quitting my last ever job
  • 18 days away from moving out of California.
  • 19 days away from being able to chase this dream of freedom full time!

Fanatical Prospecting is gold! (You'll enjoy Sales EQ by the same author too.)

I really loved the 90-day rule. Keep prospecting.

Things worth pondering:
  • When prospecting
    • Do you meet your prospects where they are in their journey?
      - You can use the See-Think-Do-Care framework
      - Check this article on marketing funnels too
    • Do you give upfront before taking? how? (I saw you are offering a free Proposal on your site. Can you add a pdf or ebook that will help people with their SEO)
    • Are you prospecting where people that need your services are?
  • On lead nurturing
    • Have you mapped clearly which actions you want your lead to take?
    • How do you build a relationship with people not ready to buy now, but will be in the future?
    • how do you guide from their current position to being a client?

Twice now I have talked to potential clients that have websites that are awful & 20 years out of date.

This inconvenient truth rubbed them the wrong way and didn't help my pitch at all.

Even if their website looks like it was built when AOL was king, don't assume that the client agrees with you about its shortcomings.

I will no longer put words into my client's mouth and will practice getting them to voice their marketing shortcomings before I call it out myself.

Have a look at The Challenger Sale too. You might find useful things to challenge your prospects without rubbing them the wrong way.

Hope that helps and keep going!

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018

Thanks for a reminder. This is a big no-no, kills empathy immediately. You gotta lead the conversation in a way that they say it themselves.

BTW, thanks all for all the book recos! cheers

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
Great progress so far!

O Document all of my work
  • I’ll need this to scale & build a team that can do the majority of the work for me. Not hiring anyone yet, but will be open to it in the very near future.

How are you documenting all the work? Can you please explain me what are the stuff to note. I am kinda having issue in documenting the work so far, and would help me if you can guide me on documenting the work.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Fanatical Prospecting is gold! (You'll enjoy Sales EQ by the same author too.)

I really loved the 90-day rule. Keep prospecting.

Things worth pondering:
  • When prospecting
    • Do you meet your prospects where they are in their journey?
      - You can use the See-Think-Do-Care framework
      - Check this article on marketing funnels too
    • Do you give upfront before taking? how? (I saw you are offering a free Proposal on your site. Can you add a pdf or ebook that will help people with their SEO)
    • Are you prospecting where people that need your services are?
  • On lead nurturing
    • Have you mapped clearly which actions you want your lead to take?
    • How do you build a relationship with people not ready to buy now, but will be in the future?
    • how do you guide from their current position to being a client?

Have a look at The Challenger Sale too. You might find useful things to challenge your prospects without rubbing them the wrong way.

Hope that helps and keep going!
You have given me a lot to think about! Thank you for all the feedback.

• I will definitely look to create a downloadable resource for them so that I can build a bit of trust before I attempt to schedule a proposal call. Until then, I have changed my initial CTA to point them towards a SEO Audit for their domain.
  • Lead nurturing is something that I have never given a thought about but obviously incredibly important. I think it is natural to have a "you're dead to me" reaction after someone declines your proposal. Need to work on that and create a system of delivering continued value...

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Great progress so far!

How are you documenting all the work? Can you please explain me what are the stuff to note. I am kinda having issue in documenting the work so far, and would help me if you can guide me on documenting the work.

So I am using task management software (ClickUp) to keep track of the daily, weekly, & monthly tasks. This allows me to take notes & document the steps for each task.

My goal is to make sure that I have simple steps outlined for every part of the process so that any unskilled worker could log in to my system and start doing the work.

Typing up this reply, I am realizing that the area that I am struggling with the most (Sales) is probably the one area where I have documented my systems the least... Going to need to change that & master my outreach if I want to be successful.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Thanks for a reminder. This is a big no-no, kills empathy immediately. You gotta lead the conversation in a way that they say it themselves.

BTW, thanks all for all the book recos! cheers
I listen to books a lot so I have plenty! Just got done reading 80/20 Sales & Marketing and that was a great one as well.

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Honestly...

My excitement is transforming to nervousness. My last day at my fulltime job is on Friday.

In order for that to be the last job of my life, I need to get my a$$ to work. My last few sales meetings have fallen flat and I am getting nervous that my prospect pool will dry up.

I have a wife & a 3-month old son to take care of and I decided that I want to start a business now? I must be an idiot...

I am moving to a new state in 12 days and will not have the personal network that has brought me my only current clients. I will start completely from scratch.

Starting on February 3rd, My entire life becomes about interrupting people...

Cold calling. Emailing. Networking events. Knocking on doors. Handing out business cards. Free advice.

This is the life that I signed up for and I have a few months to put up or shut up.

My freedom depends on it.

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
I listen to books a lot so I have plenty! Just got done reading 80/20 Sales & Marketing and that was a great one as well.
Great, thanks for another reco! Piling them up in my Goodreads list. I can see that my 2019 reading challenge will be filled with books about sales!! :)

maikooo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Dec 7, 2018
Honestly...

My excitement is transforming to nervousness. My last day at my fulltime job is on Friday.

In order for that to be the last job of my life, I need to get my a$$ to work. My last few sales meetings have fallen flat and I am getting nervous that my prospect pool will dry up.

I have a wife & a 3-month old son to take care of and I decided that I want to start a business now? I must be an idiot...

I am moving to a new state in 12 days and will not have the personal network that has brought me my only current clients. I will start completely from scratch.

Starting on February 3rd, My entire life becomes about interrupting people...

Cold calling. Emailing. Networking events. Knocking on doors. Handing out business cards. Free advice.

This is the life that I signed up for and I have a few months to put up or shut up.

My freedom depends on it.

I feel ya. It's a rollercoaster, man! I will be very pragmatic, bcs I don't think you need BS right now
  1. Don't underestimate yourself - you got skills and experience you can use going forward. You must know what people praise you on. Use it to your advantage!
  2. You are not an idiot. Becoming an entrepreneur is one of the most courageous things one can do. Defying the norms of this f*cked up society can't be a making of an idiot!
  3. Taking care of your family is the biggest motivator you can have right now. It will not make you stop, slack or have time to ruminate. You will act and go forward like a bulldozer.
  4. You are not interrupting people. You are helping them solving their needs and pains!
  5. Starting from scratch is great. No baggage!
Wish you success!

PizzaOnTheRoof

Moving Forward
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Jul 30, 2018
Texas

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Update:
Monthly Revenue: $1250

I have a couple of strong leads in my pipeline but not enough that I am 100% confident. I want to be so overbooked with leads that I can crush my minimums with certainty.

My Recent Actions:
  • Been testing out the strategy from Crushing B2B Sales with LinkedIn. Overall I have been happy with it. The very first 2 videos I sent both got replies & interest from customers. I sent 10 this week and am going to incorporate it into my strategy. I have been sending connection requests to 100 people every single day and have a large prospect pool to send videos to. Part of the process that is slowing me down is the uploading of the videos. It takes 10+ minutes to upload a single video and throws me out of my rhythm. I need to film the videos in bulk and then upload them in the background while I have focused work on another task.
  • Also spent some time playing with Slybroadcast from the thread A tool that I am using with a ridiculous ROI. Been underwhelmed with the results but it is so cheap and isn't time-consuming. I will continue testing it for another week or so and use my remaining credits to see If I can get some traction.
  • Attended a local BNI meeting this week. Overall the experience was okay. The lead generation that comes from the group feels forced and I am not 100% sold that joining BNI will be right for my business. Going to test out a couple more BNI chapters next week. Worst case scenario I will get to shake a few more hands and meet a few more faces from the area.
  • Attended a networking event and signed up for my new Chamber of Commerce today. A much better experience! People legitimately want to help my business and I gained 2 appointments with local businesses who want some help.

Overall Summary
The last 10 days have been strange. I have felt extremely busy, but I haven't made any progress. The reason is that I have been avoiding the most important thing... Selling. I have come to the realization that I am terrified of selling.

I think that it is something that I have always known, but I treated it like a switch that I could easily flip on someday.

I always made excuses about why I hadn't turned it on, and now that I am working full time on my business, I don't have any excuses to hide behind.

I never gave the skillset the amount of respect that it deserved. I'm studying my a$$ off and It is time to put up or shut up.

Starting on Monday. I am going to start cold calling 30 participants per day. Similar to the format from the
thread 90 Day Cold Calling Challenge, I am challenging myself to practice cold calling and make progress towards mastering the skill.

The difference is that my 90-day challenge needs to generate some actual results or I am dead in the water.

Last edited:

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Gameplan:
The only way I will achieve massive results is with massive action. I have been reading quite a few books (see below) and I am realizing that my sales skills are absolute dog shit. My mentality, my energy, my mindset, my "script", my prospecting, my closing, my qualifying of leads & every other aspect is absolutely terrible.

I never appreciated the amount of skill that selling requires and I am determined to master the skill. My gameplan moving forward is made up of the following things:

1. Cold Calling: 30+ cold calls per day.
    • I look forward to the day when I post in this thread that I no longer fear the phone. Through this process, I am even going to record my calls so that I can study them and track my progress. I am in the process of creating my scripts and preparing for every possible situation.
  2. Cold Emailing: 20-50 cold emails per day
    • Will start out a bit smaller and use automation software.
  3. LinkedIn Videos: 5+ videos per day
    • As I figure out my process a bit more than this number should increase. But this is my commitment to start.
  4. In-Person Networking: 10+ new connections per week
    • Attending networking events and meeting business owners in my community is huge for me since I am in a brand new city.
These are the 4 pillars that are going to make up my daily minimums. My goal is to quickly increase these numbers but still a great starting point that definitely places me outside my comfort zone.

As I make progress, the areas of focus will my likely shift. I need everyone here to hold me accountable! I will give weekly reports on the other stuff as well.

Books:
I read a lot of books. At times, to a fault. I will not begin reading any more books in the foreseeable future unless I encounter an obstacle that requires some new knowledge. With that said, I have gained a ton of insight over the past month by reading the following. (I had a 15-hour cross country move so I listened to more books than usual...)
  • 10x & Sell or Be Sold By Grant Cardone
    • Has helped me with motivation & mindset. Not the most actionable books but listening to the guy has energized me about the sales process and that's invaluable.
  • Power Phone Scripts by Mike Brooks
    • Reading this book has been like an epiphany. Trying to do a sales call without a gameplan & script has been one of the dumbest things that I have ever done. I always used the word "qualified prospect" but I never even knew what it meant. For the first time in my life, I am actually excited to start calling people in to start developing a skill that I've always wanted.
  • SPIN Selling by Neil Rackham
    • Incredible book. Need to reread and take notes because I definitely didn't absorb it as much as I need to.
  • Expert Secrets by Russel Brunson
    • The guy is a genius. Literally explaining how to move clients further down the rabbit hole while he moves you further down his rabbit hole (but for some reason... the reader is okay with it.) Definitely given me some ideas to expand my business models at some point in the distant future.
  • Building a Story Brand by Donald Miller
    • Great model and has been super helpful for me to identify the correct marketing messages. Your client's business is the hero of the story and your business is just merely the guide that assists them towards greatness.

Last edited:

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
My gameplan moving forward is made up of the following things:
    • I look forward to the day when I post in this thread that I no longer fear the phone. Through this process, I am even going to record my calls so that I can study them and track my progress. I am in the process of creating my scripts and preparing for every possible situation.
    • As I figure out my process a bit more than this number should increase. But this is my commitment to start.
    • Attending networking events and meeting business owners in my community is huge for me since I am in a brand new city.
If you do REALLY take the action to make your plan happen continuously I can't see you possibly fail!

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Day 1 of Cold Calling
Dials: 30
Reached: 6 (20%)
Leads: 0 (0%)
Prospects: 0 (0%)

Ouch, that was rough! But you know what? I am glad that I did it.

Every single dial puts me out of my comfort zone and I look forward to making some improvements tomorrow.

rogue synthetic

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
310%
Aug 2, 2017

Couple things you might like related to these two books:

The Secret of Selling Anything is a great complement to SPIN Selling. Browne's delivery is less technical and more geared to practical selling. The message is similar: figure out what they want, twist the knife until they see the light, and if you do it right they'll ask you for the sale.

This video is a pretty stunning example of how to use story and identity-based positioning to draw in (crowds of) prospects. As with Expert Secrets, pay attention to what he does and how the audience responds. This is just as important than what's said in the presentation.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Day 1 of Cold Calling
Dials: 30
Reached: 6 (20%)
Leads: 0 (0%)
Prospects: 0 (0%)

Ouch, that was rough! But you know what? I am glad that I did it.

Every single dial puts me out of my comfort zone and I look forward to making some improvements tomorrow.

The most important thing is to start! People are terrified of cold calls. So am I even though I worked in a call-center for a couple of years. You will get better day by day and will slowly start to get out of your comfort zone. Great hustling my friend. Looking forward to see how your results will be in 2-3 weeks. Just keep going!

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
I closed a new client and now My current recurring monthly income is up to $1750.

This was all thanks to the B2B LinkedIn strategy from the thread that I mentioned above.

I am also getting strong leads from social media & networking groups. Going to keep up with my current strategies for the rest of this month and evaluate which channels are the most valuable to me.

I have also axed my daily updates but will be updating this thread in detail on a weekly basis.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
621%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
1. post craigslist ads in all major metropolitan areas

2. make youtube videos for people searching things like "how to grow a painting businesses". Sit in front of a camera and make a 2 minute video "here's how you grow a painting business. here's how you get attention in your community. contact us to create a plan" and use some blackhat SEO to get it ranking for your keywords quickly.

edit: I know because I did this because I think I'm pretty smart and figured why not. I've got extra time because my lawn care business and real estate kinda works by itself. Might as well use the business skills for other companies. I made the website "mediamousetrap.com" (catch more customers - lol get it?) in less than 3 hours total and got a client in a day.

edit2: just made $1,000 for a 2 hour consulting conversation with an accounting firm. check is in the mail.

Last edited:

Kyle T

Marketing Entrepreneur
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Aug 22, 2018
Utah
Current Recurring Monthly Revenue: $3,150

Up to 6 clients. The most exciting part is that each new client is paying more than the last. I am gaining confidence in my ability to sell to warm leads but still am lacking confidence in dealing with cold prospects and warming them up.

#1 thing that I am currently focusing on is to improve my time management & discipline. I don't spend enough time focused on my businesse's "one thing".

I am hiring my first full-time VA and looking forward to delegating a lot of the busy work. Hopefully it will help!

Hiring a VA will allow me to develop systems that will help me to focus on selling. Step by step guides to doing all these repetitive tasks that I am currently wasting my energy. The goal is to have an instruction manual so that this VA (or any VA) will be able to do the boring stuff with limited instruction.

Last edited:

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Cold Emailing: 20-50 cold emails per day

Have you considered linkedn "sales navigator"? , great for b2b email mining, 30-50 a day is way way way too little.

Whats the message your sending out look like? whats the cadence of follow up emails?

are you dripping out slight variations of the same message?

have you considered using linkedn hub or replyify or some other automating software?

I feel like you're leaving a lot on the table by not crafting a proper email mining campaign from the getgo , I mean - good on you for just hammering out phonecalls until you dont fear the phone (the email leads will be phonecalls eventually) but "3-50" emails a day is just leaving opportunity on the table.

A-A-ron

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Mar 18, 2019
After recently reading through Sean's thread I have decided to pursue creating my digital marketing agency.

His insights completely opened my eyes to the opportunity that is all around me. I ended up purchasing his course and am in the beginning stages of building my own business that will set me free from 9-5.

My goal is to follow his outline and to grow a business that will provide me with the opportunity to quit my job. My goal is to follow his steps and accept the challenge to make 5k/month within 90-days.

Below is the checklist that Sean provided (here is the awesome thread once again) and I am going to update it as I progress

Day 1

SETUP
X represents completed task, O represents task in progress or waiting

X Started thinking about your business brand including your business name.

X Thought about what kind “feel” you want your business to have. Write out at least ten possible names.

X Looked up “online marketing company” and checked out the first few sites – got a feel for what they do and what I'd like to differently.

O Consider taking a class or two on Udemy.com or Lynda.com to get an overview of the online marketing world. Strongly consider also going to QuickSprout.com/University

X I thought about the industries that I would like to serve. Looked specifically at local businesses in my area and identified ones that:
  • Are in wealthy industries
  • Aren't very sexy
  • Aren't very tech savvy
  • Thrive due to "word of mouth" marketing.

X Write out (or type out) your motivation. Why are you interested in starting this business?
  • I want to be Free of my desk job. I want to provide freedom to myself and my young family by creating a business that is scalable and isn't tied to my time.

X List out the amount of money you would like to make in your first month, second month, following months. Include your first year’s goal.
  • First month: $450
  • Second Month: $2000
  • Third Month: $5000
  • First Year: $70,000

X Go online and look up other online marketing companies (again) – jotted down everything that I liked and would like to emulate.

X Put together my USP.

X Came up with my three packages & pricing.

X Thought about my ideal client, and I have composed many traits that make up my "Avatar."

X
Came up with my business name.

X
Came up with my business tagline. Simple, to the point and value oriented.

X
Picked my business colors.

X
Got logo done using Upwork for $50

X Wrote up my 1-page business plan

O Set up your corporation. Haven't done this yet. Merely just waiting until I have a couple of sales under my belt. Will revisit this task in a couple of weeks.

X
Bought my domain using GoDaddy. Also unwittingly bought my hosting through GoDaddy but plan to switch to a different service in January. Pretty lame that GoDaddy makes you wait two months before switching hosts.

X
Created my homepage. It is a one-page landing page that has About Me, Services and link to Contact Form.

X
Bought business cards to hand out to potential clients

So I am nearly all set up and ready to roll! I am still interested in taking an Udemy course on online marketing. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Tomorrow, I start the most important process of all...

Selling.
Kyle
Gameplan:
The only way I will achieve massive results is with massive action. I have been reading quite a few books (see below) and I am realizing that my sales skills are absolute dog shit. My mentality, my energy, my mindset, my "script", my prospecting, my closing, my qualifying of leads & every other aspect is absolutely terrible.

I never appreciated the amount of skill that selling requires and I am determined to master the skill. My gameplan moving forward is made up of the following things:

These are the 4 pillars that are going to make up my daily minimums. My goal is to quickly increase these numbers but still a great starting point that definitely places me outside my comfort zone.

As I make progress, the areas of focus will my likely shift. I need everyone here to hold me accountable! I will give weekly reports on the other stuff as well.

Books:
I read a lot of books. At times, to a fault. I will not begin reading any more books in the foreseeable future unless I encounter an obstacle that requires some new knowledge. With that said, I have gained a ton of insight over the past month by reading the following. (I had a 15-hour cross country move so I listened to more books than usual...)
  • 10x & Sell or Be Sold By Grant Cardone
    • Has helped me with motivation & mindset. Not the most actionable books but listening to the guy has energized me about the sales process and that's invaluable.
  • Power Phone Scripts by Mike Brooks
    • Reading this book has been like an epiphany. Trying to do a sales call without a gameplan & script has been one of the dumbest things that I have ever done. I always used the word "qualified prospect" but I never even knew what it meant. For the first time in my life, I am actually excited to start calling people in to start developing a skill that I've always wanted.
    • Incredible book. Need to reread and take notes because I definitely didn't absorb it as much as I need to.
    • The guy is a genius. Literally explaining how to move clients further down the rabbit hole while he moves you further down his rabbit hole (but for some reason... the reader is okay with it.) Definitely given me some ideas to expand my business models at some point in the distant future.
  • Building a Story Brand by Donald Miller
    • Great model and has been super helpful for me to identify the correct marketing messages. Your client's business is the hero of the story and your business is just merely the guide that assists them towards greatness.
hey Kyle T,
Not sure if you are still looking for a recommended Udemy course, but I am currently taking “The Complete Digital Marketing Course” on Udemy and it is excellent. Here is the link: The Complete Digital Marketing Course - 12 Courses in 1
I am currently trying to build a DM Agency geared specifically towards Veteran Owned Businesses.
Best of luck!
Aaron

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!