The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can't Hurt Me: by David Goggins, Review and Discussion

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Unfortunately it doesn't seem that David Goggins has learned his lessons from pushing his body too hard...

He got disqualified from Moab 240 because he experienced HAPE (high-altitude pulmonary edema) during the race and sought treatment. The doctor said that he could not go back to altitude, let alone for the race, for a minimum of 14 days.

A day later he posts this (he's back at high altitude to finish his race despite the risk to his life):

View: https://www.facebook.com/iamdavidgoggins/videos/435035513791577/

that's crazy and awesome at the same time.

what's another 30 miles after running 210 miles right? i understand his feeling of just finishing what he started

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
what's another 30 miles after running 210 miles right?

At altitude, it's a lot. HAPE is no joke. It's one of the main causes of death among people exposed to high altitude.

It's a very irresponsible decision no matter how recovered he thinks he feels and it has nothing to do with being strong-minded; it's just being self-destructive.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
At altitude, it's a lot. HAPE is no joke. It's one of the main causes of death among people exposed to high altitude.

It's a very irresponsible decision no matter how recovered he thinks he feels and it has nothing to do with being strong-minded; it's just being self-destructive.

he said he felt better :) lol
its a dude in his 40's who's been a Navy Seal and on his deathbed due to chronic tension and bounced back from it.

and he did finish the 250 miles and he's fine now so whats there to discuss lol, he didn't sprint to the finish line, it was just a light jog.

and he did says several times that he doesn't want anyone to do this lol

EDIT:
i know i know... im biased as hell, big fan here lol

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
Thi
Unfortunately it doesn't seem that David Goggins has learned his lessons from pushing his body too hard...

He got disqualified from Moab 240 because he experienced HAPE (high-altitude pulmonary edema) during the race and sought treatment. The doctor said that he could not go back to altitude, let alone for the race, for a minimum of 14 days.

A day later he posts this (he's back at high altitude to finish his race despite the risk to his life):

View: https://www.facebook.com/iamdavidgoggins/videos/435035513791577/

This reminds me of my friend. I have been trying to tell him to slow down, he works 7 days a week 15-18 hours per day. He's read Deep Work and was at first enthused with the idea that less would lead to more.

Now though, when I mention the book he just says; "I don't need to do deep work, I just like working."

We are doing a couple of deals together, and I can see how this is affecting him, but I don't know what else I can do short of having him kidnapped and drugged.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
and he did finish the 250 miles and he's fine now so whats there to discuss lol, he didn't sprint to the finish line, it was just a light jog.

Yeah just wanted to post this:

View: https://www.facebook.com/iamdavidgoggins/videos/1094083094314483/

You don't know if he's fine now. The internal damage might have been accumulating on his "light jog."

The problem is that based on the Facebook comments people find it cool and inspiring but it's just plain dumb. Ask any mountaineer who died because they felt "better" and decided to keep pushing. There's no honor and no coolness in risking your life to finish a stupid ultramarathon or climb a mountain unless you really don't care about your loved ones and whether you live or die. Even if he has no family and nobody who cares about him, the people he wants to inspire would rather be inspired by his life, not premature death.

its a dude in his 40's who's been a Navy Seal and on his deathbed due to chronic tension and bounced back from it.

Every day around the world young, fit, and healthy people die because of less. One day he might not bounce back. But well, it's his choice. From my perspective it's just a giant gamble with little upside and a lot of downside.

We are doing a couple of deals together, and I can see how this is affecting him, but I don't know what else I can do short of having him kidnapped and drugged.

Unfortunately sometimes nothing helps except for a traumatic event that shifts your priorities. I hope he'll come around without it, though...

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Yeah just wanted to post this:

View: https://www.facebook.com/iamdavidgoggins/videos/1094083094314483/

You don't know if he's fine now. The internal damage might have been accumulating on his "light jog."

The problem is that based on the Facebook comments people find it cool and inspiring but it's just plain dumb. Ask any mountaineer who died because they felt "better" and decided to keep pushing. There's no honor and no coolness in risking your life to finish a stupid ultramarathon or climb a mountain unless you really don't care about your loved ones and whether you live or die. Even if he has no family and nobody who cares about him, the people he wants to inspire would rather be inspired by his life, not premature death.

Every day around the world young, fit, and healthy people die because of less. One day he might not bounce back. But well, it's his choice. From my perspective it's just a giant gamble with little upside and a lot of downside.

Unfortunately sometimes nothing helps except for a traumatic event that shifts your priorities. I hope he'll come around without it, though...

won't argue with you there. It is what it is.

Wouter

What do you want to be when you give up?
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 6, 2019
Netherlands
My Rating: 2 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::xx::xx::xx:

Format: eBook

My thoughts/review:
I've known about David for some time through podcasts etc, so I decided to give it a try. It's not a fun book to read and I wanted to give up on reading a couple of times due to the suffering he describes. Chapter after chapter of the stuff really takes the fun out of reading the book and got tiresome rather quick. It left me kind of depressed rather than energized to apply some of the teachings to my own life. However, there is a point to it.

Favorite (or least favorite) chapter:
No chapter stands out in particular. I think the book could've been way shorter, but there are some valuable nuggets of information in there. After a while however, I got the message and was looking for something of more substance. Didn't find it in the book, unfortunately. I have to respect David however for not getting stuck in the victim mindset. I do think he took it to another extreme though.

Main takeaway:
We're capable of way more than we think possible. After all that David's been through, what is your excuse to not go after what you want? I think that's the purpose of the book: an outlier that shows what we're capable of if we're willing to push our limits far enough. If I look at it like that, I get it. It felt more like an autobiography, so I was struggeling to apply it to my own life. It's not an autobiography, but it's not a self-help book either so it feels like the book is having an identity crisis. It just isn't a book that's very enjoyable to read in my opinion.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Unfortunately sometimes nothing helps except for a traumatic event that shifts your priorities.

That won't happen for David. He's already been in the hospital with multiple problems. Only death will be the traumatic event that stops him from his personal self-destruction, a self-destruction that comes complete with an army of devoted fans aspiring to be just as stupid as him.

Reminds me of someone in my life...

After multiple heart attacks, multiple surgeries, and a pill case filled with prescription meds, what traumatic event will finally cause him to change his diet from cheeseburgers, fries, pizza, and ice cream? What event? Stroke? Another heart attack?

Answer?

There is no event that will cause a breakthrough, other than the event where there is no return: death.

A premature death is the only probable outcome for people like this. They're beyond behavior change.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
That won't happen for David. He's already been in the hospital with multiple problems. Only death will be the traumatic event that stops him from his personal self-destruction, a self-destruction that comes complete with an army of devoted fans aspiring to be just as stupid as him.

Reminds me of someone in my life...

After multiple heart attacks, multiple surgeries, and a pill case filled with prescription meds, what traumatic event will finally cause him to change his diet from cheeseburgers, fries, pizza, and ice cream? What event? Stroke? Another heart attack?

Answer?

There is no event that will cause a breakthrough, other than the event where there is no return: death.

A premature death is the only probable outcome for people like this. They're beyond behavior change.

but generally speaking Goggins' health actually improved since his near death from tension.
He used to be on over 30 medications but after several years of yoga he's down to 1 low dose thyroid pill.
Lets see how long he lives lol

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Late to the party but just an FYI , the audiobook version on audible is sort of a podcast hybrid (extra content) , he gets interviewed about passages and it fleshes things out in a real interesting manner.

masaldana2

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Jun 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
he's being celebrated for his own self destruction...
props to the Doctor

MythOfSisyphus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
521%
Jan 15, 2018
Australia
My Rating: 2 stars out of 5 stars
:star::star::xx::xx::xx:

Format: Audible

My thoughts/review:
While David's story is inspirational in parts and he's to be admired for turning a terrible start in life to something admirable I found this to be a pretty sad story overall.

While I admire his ability to push himself beyond normal limits you can't help but feel the only reason he's doing so is because he's still dealing with the demons of his childhood and has some pretty limited tools with which to do so. He seems to have developed enough self awareness to overcome his internal doubts and self defeating dialogue, but never developed enough awareness to see through it or understand it. By the end of the book you're left with the feeling that despite all these achievements he really had no goal or reason for what he was doing. All drive and no direction.

Favorite (or least favorite) chapter:
I really enjoyed the first few chapters. To hear where he'd come from you can't help but admire what he goes on to achieve (despite him seemingly having absolutely no idea why he's achieving these things). My least favourite parts were the stupid hashtags and repetitive descriptions of his races in the 2nd part of the book.

Main takeaway:
No matter how hard you're pushing there's probably more left in the tank than you believe there is.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
My favorite quote from his interview: “That’s what weak people miss about my story. Weak people hear this soft kid, ‘oh my god, he must be miserable, oh my god, what the hell is wrong with him?’ You’re missing the F*cking story. You’re not listening to the story, man! Look what I overcame. If that doesn’t put some badge of honor tattooed in your F*cking brain, for the rest of your life, you can die today talking to Joe Rogan, you’re missing the story man.

Am I happy?

What the F*ck do you think?

Don't misunderstand the passion with which I speak for not being happy.

Happiest person in the world."

Quote starts here:

View: https://youtu.be/5tSTk1083VY?t=5798

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
My favorite quote from his interview: “That’s what weak people miss about my story. Weak people hear this soft kid, ‘oh my god, he must be miserable, oh my god, what the hell is wrong with him?’ You’re missing the F*cking story. You’re not listening to the story, man! Look what I overcame. If that doesn’t put some badge of honor tattooed in your F*cking brain, for the rest of your life, you can die today talking to Joe Rogan, you’re missing the story man.

Am I happy?

What the F*ck do you think?

Don't misunderstand the passion with which I speak for not being happy.

Happiest person in the world."

Quote starts here:

View: https://youtu.be/5tSTk1083VY?t=5798
I have not read the book, so take that with a grain of salt. However, I am familiar with David's story, and have watched a bunch of interviews of him and YouTube videos in the past.

It seems to me though, that just like in the quote above, he is always about "Look at me, look what I overcame, look how tough I am" - it seems a bit neurotic to me. Like without these things, he would feel worthless. I admire his determination and drive, but I don't think you need to turn it into this obsession to prove something to others at all costs.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I have not read the book, so take that with a grain of salt. However, I am familiar with David's story, and have watched a bunch of interviews of him and YouTube videos in the past.

It seems to me though, that just like in the quote above, he is always about "Look at me, look what I overcame, look how tough I am" - it seems a bit neurotic to me. Like without these things, he would feel worthless. I admire his determination and drive, but I don't think you need to turn it into this obsession to prove something to others at all costs.
You’re missing the point entirely though. Lol he’s not trying to prove anything to anybody. Just a man that enjoys breaking his own boundaries.
You really think he’s trying to impress you or a bunch of other randoms lol

and you’re misinterpreting the quote. He’s merely saying that it’s what he’s done, the sacrifices he’s made that’s made him happy. And if you wouldn’t feel the same way making those sacrifices for your goals then that sucks for you lol

some people will never understand that there’s people out there that like to push themselves for their own purposes, and not to impress anybody else.

And he never said “look how tough I am” lol

I think this is also the mentality of super elite athletes that can endure so much pain. It’s hard to even fathom the heights he’s on because I doubt anyone on this forum (including myself) has completed buds and ran 100 mile marathons.

when we see such super human feats, it’s easy to project our own insecurities against them. So it’s easier to bash and criticize them and call him neurotic.

you think he gives a shit?

I will tell you this from a personal perspective, anytime I’ve had to run a marathon, or fight against some dude in an MMA fight, boxing, or whatever, the thought of “oh man, I hope I impress those random strangers on the internet” NEVER WENT THROUGH MY HEAD.

You know what got me to that finish line, or to the next round? THE SHEER DETERMINATION TO WIN.

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I might be, as I said, I haven't read the book.

Okay that is what he says, I will give you that. But what a man says and what the truth is are often different. We are quite good at deceiving both ourselves and other people.

Why would he do this (endure so much pain and suffering) though? What's the purpose? I can see the value in not letting suffering or pain stop you from achieving a meaningful purpose, but clearly if you don't have a purpose for doing it, why would you make yourself suffer and go through pain? Like what's the point?

Why did you want to win at all costs? Would you have tried to "win" if you knew you could win, but you would not survive?
Go join some competitive sports and you’ll get the answers to the last two blocks of questions.

You’re not going to get the answer reading on the internet lol

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You’re missing the point entirely though

I assure you, we aren't missing the point.

IMO, the guy needs psychiatric help. And he isn't someone I'd want my kids to emulate or role model.

Obviously like most of culture, you've got him on a pedestal for his "mental toughness" which strikes me as nothing more than "mental illness", the kind that destroys health and relationships. (Many things David is also a master at)

In our culture with a preponderance of importance placed on hyper-personality, it doesn't surprise me one bit that this guy is perceived at some cult hero. I do have a great respect for what he's endured.

But I don't envy the man, I pity him.

And yes, I'm sure David don't care what I think, much less anyone else in his life (including wives, x-wives, friends, x-friends, co-workers, colleagues, doctors, etc... not when there's competition to destroy!) SMH/facepalm.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Right ok. I thought you were interested to discuss.

By the way, I had a quick glance through the thread, and it seems that quite a few people think similar things to my impression:

But again, I haven't read the book. I guess I'll have to wait till I do to give a serious impression.
The great thing is, other people’s opinions don’t affect what he does so it’s like they don’t matter lol

good or bad, he’s still going to keep going lol

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I assure you, we aren't missing the point.

The guy needs psychiatric help. And he isn't someone I'd want my kids to emulate or role model.

Obviously like most of culture, you've got him on a pedestal for his "mental toughness" which strikes me as nothing more than "mental illness", the kind that destroys health and relationships. (Many things David is also a master at)

In our culture with a preponderance of importance placed on hyperpersonality, it surprise me one bit that this guy is perceived at some cult hero. I do have a great respect for what he's endured.

But I don't envy the man, I pity him.

oh I thought I was speaking to one person lol that’s funny

I admire the man for his accomplishments and changing the person he once was.

Kind of reminds me of an entrepreneur that started a forum not too long ago hmm

what’a even crazier is that you’d consider him as being a “hyper-personality” when he literally could care less about how everyone else sees him.

you think a navy seal is going through buds or training in combat simply because he wants to seem tough?

I’m sure your pity of him doesn’t change the fact that he accomplished what he did by sheer will alone.

and better yet, why peer into his personal life if not to find fault in him? Like, what’s the point in that? To make yourself feel better?

edit:

I honestly wonder if this is what you think of all navy seals, because I can guarantee you most of them are just as crazy as him.

As well as the 100mile athletes, and triathletes that compete in ironman competitions.

no one is saying you have to do what he did, but the point is so clear and simple: you need sacrifice to get rewards. How does that not compute?

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I get that man, but really, what's the purpose to keep going? Maybe I just don't get the mindset, but to me, you must have a purpose for doing something, otherwise you're just being irrational.
The same reason people keep making money every year. The same reason Jeff bezos and Elon musk don’t quit. The same reason billionaires and millionaires keep working post retirement. It’s not that difficult to understand.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Jeff bezos
People like Jeff Bezos, Trump, etc. just love the game. For some of them, money is a way to keep score. For others, they love building companies and making their visions a reality. Seeing that they can build something that outlasts them and influences the world. Make a dent in the universe as Steve Jobs said.

But NONE of them, with the possible exception of Elon Musk (who imo has a similar issue to Goggins), would gamble with their lives time and time again just to make a few more bucks. If you remember, for example, Steve Jobs took a hiatus from Apple before he died to deal with his illness. Most of the billionaires will put health way above their wealth and money-making.

Can you see how doing something like that is different than putting your life in danger time and time again for no reason except to feel strong?

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
People like Jeff Bezos, Trump, etc. just love the game. For some of them, money is a way to keep score. For others, they love building companies and making their visions a reality. Seeing that they can build something that outlasts them and influences the world. Make a dent in the universe as Steve Jobs said.

But NONE of them, with the possible exception of Elon Musk (who imo has a similar issue to Goggins), would gamble with their lives time and time again just to make a few more bucks. If you remember, for example, Steve Jobs took a hiatus from Apple before he died to deal with his illness. Most of the billionaires will put health way above their wealth and money-making.

Can you see how doing something like that is different than putting your life in danger time and time again for no reason except to feel strong?
You do know he’s not the only one running ultra marathons right? There’s thousands of people, and older than him that are doing it.

just because to you it seems that it’s “putting your life in danger” to others it’s another calculated risk.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas

I’m sure if you told these guys they were putting their life in danger they’d laugh lol

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
when he literally could care less about how everyone else sees him.

Yes that's obvious. That's a function of the mental illness ... if a doctor tells him he's killing himself, he simply don't care. Evidence can't compete when there's a new marathon to run in the desert.

He cares about nothing except personal, internal battles that in the grand scheme of things, means nothing. He doesn't strike me as a good husband, a good father, a good friend, a good employee, a good anything, but a good athlete/soldier that can overcome mental hurdles.

I don't care how many marathons he wins, how many trophies he raises, or how many hospitalizations he has to endure for the recklessness caused by his mental illness.

They only place I'd want this guy in my life is in a foxhole ... which is pretty much how he lives his life.

If that's something you admire, then have at it. He's struck you as so heroic, that you've now chosen to spend your precious life energy defending him.

No problem, I'm here to lend a non-PC outlier opinion for other folks who might want to go down the same dangerous and destructive rabbit hole of "all or nothing" on superficial things that mean absolutely nothing in the universe, or to a lessor extent, the human experience.

From a psychological perspective, it's no different than dealing with oniomania, or being a shopaholic. The victim thinks happiness will be found in the next purchase, the next shopping spree, the next new store to visit. But the happiness found in these pursuits is fleeting and transient, which is why the next "challenge" (or purchase) is sought.

Clinically speaking the mental illness is identical; they're the same and symptomatic of low self esteem, emotional problems, materialism (earthly things of a transient nature) and poor impulse control (stay in the hospital to recover? Hell no, I gotta finish the race!).

I'd guess his rough childhood is to blame as childhood trauma tends to always carry into adulthood.

just because to you it seems that it’s “putting your life in danger” to others it’s another calculated risk.

You need a lesson in "calculated risk" and sheer stupidity.

It's almost like you didn't even read the book.

I know it’s hard to fathom why people do such great things, but it all boils down to: “because they can.”

And because culture views a man who risks everything in his life, including his own, to run in the desert for mental trophies "because they can" is why society is falling apart.

Great? No, sickness.

The same type of sickness that has 20 year olds committing suicide because their life doesn't measure up to the bullshit posted on Instagram.

Where you a good father?
A good husband?
A good friend?
A good co-worker?
A good entrepreneur that touched lives?
A good human who made a difference?

No, I ran in the desert and destroyed my health in the process.

Awesome role model.

That said, if anyone wants to learn how to control their mind to defeat inner challenges, I would suggest looking into meditation, Zen or Buddhist philosophies, not the recklessness this man advocates.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Yes that's obvious. That's a function of the mental illness ... if a doctor tells him he's killing himself, he simply don't care. Evidence can't compete when there's a new marathon to run in the desert.

He cares about nothing except personal, internal battles that in the grand scheme of things, means nothing. He doesn't strike me as a good husband, a good father, a good friend, a good employee, a good anything, but a good athlete/soldier that can overcome mental hurdles.

I don't care how many marathons he wins, how many trophies he raises, or how many hospitalizations he has to endure for the recklessness caused by his mental illness.

They only place I'd want this guy in my life is in a foxhole ... which is pretty much how he lives his life.

If that's something you admire, then have at it. He's struck you as so heroic, that you've now chosen to spend your precious life energy defending him.

No problem, I'm here to lend a non-PC outlier opinion for other folks who might want to go down the same dangerous and destructive rabbit hole of "all or nothing" on superficial things that mean absolutely nothing in the universe, or to a lessor extent, the human experience.

From a psychological perspective, it's no different than dealing with oniomania, or being a shopaholic. The victim thinks happiness will be found in the next purchase, the next shopping spree, the next new store to visit. But the happiness found in these pursuits is fleeting and transient, which is why the next "challenge" (or purchase) is sought.

Clinically speaking the mental illness is identical; they're the same and symptomatic of low self esteem, emotional problems, materialism (earthly things of a transient nature) and poor impulse control (stay in the hospital to recover? Hell no, I gotta finish the race!).

I'd guess his rough childhood is to blame as childhood trauma tends to always carry into adulthood.

You need a lesson in "calculated risk" and sheer stupidity.

It's almost like you didn't even read the book.

And because culture views a man who risks everything in his life, including his own, to run in the desert for mental trophies "because they can" is why society is falling apart.

Great? No, sickness.

The same type of sickness that has 20 year olds committing suicide because their life doesn't measure up to the bullshit posted on Instagram.

Where you a good father?
A good husband?
A good friend?
A good co-worker?
A good entrepreneur that touched lives?
A good human who made a difference?

No, I ran in the desert and destroyed my health in the process.

Awesome role model.

That said, if anyone wants to learn how to control their mind to defeat inner challenges, I would suggest looking into meditation, Zen or Buddhist philosophies, not the recklessness this man advocates.
By your standards no one should climb Mount Everest because it’s a “medical no-no” lol

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
There’s millions of people that defy the odds against doctors orders. You’re telling me they should just sit back and ACCEPT their fate that they’ll never be able to walk again because a doctor said so?

Get real.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
You haven’t really lived until your life has been put on the line, for reasons beyond your control. Maybe then you’ll understand why people do such crazy things.

Just look at TheMiracle Morning, the book you so highly rave about. You think he thought about quitting after his car crash? You think had the doctors told him to slow down he would’ve listened?

And your argument about him being a bad father, coworker, etc is just completely WRONG. Because everything you said is based on ASSUMPTIONS. You don’t know the man personally.

There‘s literally a book written about him called “Living With A Seal”! Someone admires him so much as a friend and someone to look up to that he WROTE A BOOK ABOUT HIM.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.