The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can a Youtube channel be a good business in spite of the lack of control?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

makileth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 16, 2023
I'm reaching out to you today with a question and the hope of some advice and perspective. Lately I've been thinking about creating a YouTube channel and getting started with a "content-system" business model. I am very excited about the idea of helping others improve their skills and initiate positive changes in their lives.

However, I have certain concerns and insecurities that are holding me back. One of the main reasons is that this business model involves a certain dependence on a giant company like YouTube. While I would do my best to deliver valuable content and reach my target audience, the fact remains that I would have to relinquish full control of my channel and content to this company.

What worries me most is the possibility that my entire business could disappear overnight. If I succeed and build up a certain following, the giant could decide to delete my content or block my channel at any time. This uncertainty and dependency worry me and create anxiety about the future of my business.

That said, I would be very grateful if you could share your experiences and perspectives, especially if you have had experience building a business on YouTube or similar platforms.

Is there any way to somehow compensate the lack of control? What strategies or precautions could help protect me from suddenly losing my entire business?

I would greatly appreciate any form of feedback, advice or suggestions.

Thank you in advance for your support and valuable input!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
Is there any way to somehow compensate the lack of control? What strategies or precautions could help protect me from suddenly losing my entire business?

Yes, from the start you should create something valuable for your subscribers. A checklist. A template. A script. Whatever it is, it should be something they would trade their email for.

Mention this thing in your videos in the first minute or so and let people know they can find it by clicking the link in the video description. Send them to a page with nothing on it but an opt-in box for that specific thing and start collecting emails for free.

makileth

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 16, 2023
Yes, from the start you should create something valuable for your subscribers. A checklist. A template. A script. Whatever it is, it should be something they would trade their email for.

Mention this thing in your videos in the first minute or so and let people know they can find it by clicking the link in the video description. Send them to a page with nothing on it but an opt-in box for that specific thing and start collecting emails for free.
That's a great idea thank you!

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
Yes, because there are multiple levers of control such as Rumble, Twitter, Odysee etc.

You can also release audio versions through a podcast platform and video snippets on other channels like Instagram/TikTok.

All else fails, you can release content on your own website with a host like Vimeo/Wistia and gather a following through an email list/SEO/paid search.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
458%
Mar 15, 2018
Solid advice all around already.

I’ll just add that worrying about this should happen AFTER you’ve tested and proven that your content is needed. There’s so much content out there, it’s hard to stand out. How will you succeed?! That’s the first question.

I’d rather see you come back here and post:
- I grew my channel from Zero to 100,000 followers in 6 months. I’m worried about losing my business one day if YT changes rules.
- before I get above this number, I know my product is rock solid and needed. How do I protect myself?

Then follow @Lex DeVille advice above.

Trying to do all of it now, when you are just a grain of sand in a Sahara desert … you get my point.

And this is why in general when I asked the question you did "I've been thinking about creating..." I stop and say "no". Don't think. Try, demonstrate you can, then you can worry about the rabbit holes you'll face. Odds are you won't even get off the ground. And typically it's because you are competing against the best of the best with low barriers to entry. You need excellence to succeed in this field (as a creator). So the issue isn't so much "Control" as having the ability to succeed first. Work on that, and I promise you'll find many roads around other barriers. One step at a time...

Last edited:

monnffffiiiiiii

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Oct 16, 2022
1. It's a Paretto's principle game: the top 1% makes big money.

2. There's no such thing as "a Youtube channel" anymore, you have to be in 2-3 other different places (Twitter, IG, TikTok, Reddit, Facebook, Pinterest, etc). You don't "have to", but it's better.

The + is that it's a very low-cost, low-risk thing to start that shifts your mindset from a consumer to a producer.

A great way to "make $1 on the Internet".

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

I have started doing this myself. I mention it towards the end of every video, have a bit of information about it in my about section, as well as the video description but no sign ups as of yet.

To early to tell yet whether it will produce email sign ups. But I should know within a couple of weeks. I might need to tweak how I market it, if I don't see results.

I think for youtube, you don't want to be in a situation that you are just relying on ''ad revenue'' to earn income. I think you do really need other offers, products, or whatever that may be to build something that will do well.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I have started doing this myself. I mention it towards the end of every video, have a bit of information about it in my about section, as well as the video description but no sign ups as of yet.

To early to tell yet whether it will produce email sign ups. But I should know within a couple of weeks. I might need to tweak how I market it, if I don't see results.

I think for youtube, you don't want to be in a situation that you are just relying on ''ad revenue'' to earn income. I think you do really need other offers, products, or whatever that may be to build something that will do well.
Put it in the first 30 seconds. A very short mention of it. Not a full description. Just an "oh by the way" sort of thing.

Timmy C

I Will Not Stop!
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
230%
Jun 12, 2018
Melbourne, Australia

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Some good replies.

Added to the master link thread: