The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Breakthrough with Tony Robbins

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA

veli

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Jun 11, 2008
JonLee, thanx for the link. I downloaded and installed it, but unfortunatly I now get this message: "Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the US. If youre in the US, you ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu." So...not that easy I guess :(

A

Anon3587x

Hey Russ everything you mentioned can be solved with Tivo or a DVR.
I consider it fastlane because you can skip through the commercials :p

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada

It just redirects to Hulu, so won't work outside US either

JonLee, thanx for the link. I downloaded and installed it, but unfortunatly I now get this message: "Based on your IP address, we noticed you are trying to access Hulu through an anonymous proxy tool. Hulu is not currently available outside the US. If youre in the US, you ll need to disable your anonymizer to access videos on Hulu." So...not that easy I guess :(

Looks like Hulu has stepped up their game :) sorry about that I haven't used it in a while.

There is always a way, but the only one I know now would be considered a legal grey area, so proceed at your own peril...

Step 1: Download - µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

Step 2: Breakthrough With Tony Robbins Torrents

this is peer-to-peer file sharing so with a new show like this that isn't super popular these links may not be reliable, but worth a shot if you really want to see it.

lol, just before I hit "submit" on this I decided to check the obvious... sure enough they are all on YouTube:

ep 1: YouTube - ‪Breakthrough with Tony Robbins part 1 of 5‬‎

ep 2: YouTube - ‪Breakthrough with Tony Robbins Episode 2 part 1‬‎

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Hey Russ everything you mentioned can be solved with Tivo or a DVR.
I consider it fastlane because you can skip through the commercials :p

How can you, as a network, monetize a show?

That was my question. Tivo/DVR bypass that (which is perhaps your point).

I wanna know-- how to MAKE MONEY ON IT.

(in other words, I'm looking at this from the network's POV)

itunes works b/c people are now wiling to pay for music.

We've just gotta figure out a way for peeps to pay for video.

It's gonna happen.

First one there makes a billion dollars.

-Russ H.

A

Anon3587x

I don't think there is any way to monetize off it anymore.
Tivo and DVR just bypasses it.
Tivo and DVR was the way people tried to make a billion dollars off of
this need.

You would have to basically rip people off.
(My cable is only like 60 bucks and came with 2 dvr ready boxes.)

Make them pay for something that they could actually get for free if they knew better.

Same with music, why would I ever pay for a music video when I can just watch it on youtube?

There are websites that give you software to download youtube videos straight to your computer for free.
So even if you offered me 1$ per download I still know better free ways.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
It's getting to the point where the only people that have time to watch TV each week at the same time are those who watch game shows/reality TV/etc.

I never watch a show live anymore. It's a big waste of time. Watch a one hour show on a DVR saves you 23 minutes. If it's 7pm and a show comes on that I want to watch, I start recording it. Then I go to my computer and do about 20 minutes of work. I come back and start it at 7:25pm and finish at 8pm. You can get in 5 hours of TV a night and still have all my work done because you actually worked 2 hours and watched 3 hours of TV.

The only exception is football which I watch live. But I do start the DVR at halftime so I and run quick errands or do housework and then come back and start the 3rd quarter.

The old commercial advertising just doesn't work and will probably fade out. Hulu and Vevo are pushing it with 30 sec. commercials at the break IMO. People just don't like commercials.

A

Anon3587x

With commercials phasing out without a doubt what does this mean?

companys will have more money to spend on ADVERTISING!
Advertising will always be needed, and there are so many ways just waiting to be created.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
I don't think there is any way to monetize off it anymore.
Tivo and DVR just bypasses it.
Tivo and DVR was the way people tried to make a billion dollars off of
this need.

You would have to basically rip people off.
(My cable is only like 60 bucks and came with 2 dvr ready boxes.)

Make them pay for something that they could actually get for free if they knew better.

Same with music, why would I ever pay for a music video when I can just watch it on youtube?

There are websites that give you software to download youtube videos straight to your computer for free.
So even if you offered me 1$ per download I still know better free ways.

bateati,

itunes took in more than half a BILLION dollars in PROFIT last year.

Remember, this is after napster and others, when the music biz was officially called dead (as far as profits).

There is money in video. The model just hasn't been worked out yet.

You need to start stretching your mind for stuff like this. There is a HUGE demand for people who like to watch video. Used to be TV. Now, that's switching over to the net (youtube, hulu, netflix, etc).

A google-apple joint venture would make a LOT of sense here. I'm sure there are VCs being hit w/ideas on this every day.

-Russ H.

A

Anon3587x

I can't and won't argue with numbers like that Russ lol. Your right I suppose it is possible to capitalize on it..

I'm starting to see a trend.

People with money will spend the money because they do not need to look for free alternatives.

while someone like me who usually didn't have money would always go the extra mile to find something for free.
I still wouldn't purchase shit off iTunes when I can use something like Limewire or another Torrent.

Apparently there are many people who would though.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Of course it is still monetized, the commercials are just being integrated into the programming. Especially on reality shows, product placement is everywhere. The shows just need to be more creative and embrace the new distribution models.

When that happens more, they will realize that having the shows on Tivo or Hulu is a win-win. Commercials are have just been out grown, time for advertisers to get more creative, it'll happen.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Yeah, Bob does product endorsements right in the middle of "Biggest Loser" every week. I did notice, this was a new type of commercial.

Icy

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Feb 16, 2009
Yeah, Bob does product endorsements right in the middle of "Biggest Loser" every week. I did notice, this was a new type of commercial.

This has to be the type of advertising that will quickly be thrown upon us. Commercials are so easy to avoid with Tivo\Dvr\Torrents, that it's almost unacceptable. If the advertisement isn't unexpected, like during the show, then people will just avoid viewing it.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Of course it is still monetized, the commercials are just being integrated into the programming. Especially on reality shows, product placement is everywhere. The shows just need to be more creative and embrace the new distribution models.

When that happens more, they will realize that having the shows on Tivo or Hulu is a win-win. Commercials are have just been out grown, time for advertisers to get more creative, it'll happen.

Hey, Max Headroom (the complete series) just came out on DVD.

That was a show that was eerily prescient in a LOT of ways. Look at the single reporter model at the core of the show (reporter who is also cameraman doing uplinks)-- that was NOT used back then. It's the norm now.

Virtually all of the epi's were about news reporting, advertising, and/or network power.

Great, great show.

-Russ H.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
. . I'm starting to see a trend:

People with money will spend the money because they do not need to look for free alternatives.

while someone like me who usually didn't have money would always go the extra mile to find something for free.

I'd reframe that a bit:

People who do not need to look for free alternatives

May actually be people who do not have TIME to look for free alternatives (but have money)

(ie, it's cheaper for them to just buy something for a buck than spend the time trying to get it for free)

This should be your big AHA for the day.

When you want to make money/provide a service, cater to people who want something and have more money than time.

-Russ H.

itunes example data from Feb 25, 2010:

Apple iTunes just crossed a milestone: Over 10 BILLION songs have now been downloaded from the online music store.

Here are the approximate revenues generated by Apple over the past few years from its iTunes store:

2006 : $895 million
2007 : $1.20 billion
2008 : $1.59 billion
2009 : $1.80 billion

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I think the biggest difference between Itunes and TV is music vs video. People listen to music multiple times and want to OWN it so they can bring it into their car. Video isn't the same because it's usually a one time viewing. I don't want to own any TV shows, I just want to see them once.

I did recently download a CD from Amazon for $10 because I didn't want to spend time going through all the torrents to get it and risk a virus. Ironically I got a virus the same day I bought the Amazon mp3 download.

I have friends who will pay to download videos on Itunes so they can watch shows on an airplane. I personally buy books on CD for long car trips. People will pay for things if they have a need. I don't want to sit 4 hours in a plane and not do anything so I will buy 4 hours worth of shows.

The opposite end is I'm sitting at home bored and have no idea what I want to watch. I flip through channels and find something interesting. During this time there is no way I would pay for any TV show, not even $0.05, because I'm just bored.

I think for TV there are 2 parts to marketing. The first part is to get someone to watch the show. This is when you want to be on youtube or hulu. You want as many eyes on it as possible. This is obviously free, like radio air play.

Once you have them hooked you would like to make them pay for it if you could. It would be like airing the 1st episode of Entourage on NBC and then the rest of the season on HBO. People who want to watch it will pay $1 on Itunes or get HBO or go find a torrent.

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
The opposite end is I'm sitting at home bored and have no idea what I want to watch. I flip through channels and find something interesting. During this time there is no way I would pay for any TV show, not even $0.05, because I'm just bored.

Ah, but you're flipping channels b/c you're being passive.

Imagine treating TV as you do the internet-- instead of flipping, you decide you want to watch something about hiking the world's greatest mountains, or test drives of the new Mercedes speedster-- you type in your preferences, and are given all kinds of suggestions (and prices).

Viewing would be cheap-- say, 25¢ per 30 minutes, w/special deals for movies or entire mini series.

It will be interesting to see if this is where things go.

-Russ H.

A

Anon3587x

Not sure about the video idea russ.
I can do the same thing on youtube.
Type in "test drives of the Mercedes speedster" and I can pretty much guarantee you will get a video of it.
I can hookup my TV to the internet if I wanted and steam youtube videos that way.

Part of iTunes success is due to the iPod.
With no iPod they wouldn't have sales like that.
They created a service that could instantly download songs to a music player which can hold thousands of songs.

I can download 50 songs at once with a torrent and transfer them over to my iPod.
It doesn't take much time to do that, less if anything. All it really takes is knowledge. Knowledge that takes 5 minutes to discover.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ah, but you're flipping channels b/c you're being passive.

Imagine treating TV as you do the internet-- instead of flipping, you decide you want to watch something about hiking the world's greatest mountains, or test drives of the new Mercedes speedster-- you type in your preferences, and are given all kinds of suggestions (and prices).

Viewing would be cheap-- say, 25¢ per 30 minutes, w/special deals for movies or entire mini series.

It will be interesting to see if this is where things go.

-Russ H.

Hi Russ,

I understand where you are trying to go with this. The only problem is that when I do a search like this I do not know what the content will be like. Therefore I won't pay for it. Of course, reading reviews would help but liking this stuff is personal preference.

I couldn't imagine paying $1 for a song on Itunes that I had never heard before but got great reviews.

For this to work, every TV show would need a preview. Basically it's how they make you want to watch a movie and want to pay $9 to see it. They hit you with previews, make it look good, then the pay reviewers to give it great reviews and also to get some one word quotes. All this work to get you to spend $9 or sometimes $5 for 2 hours.

Then there are things like the NFL Sunday Ticket and NBA Pass that many people pay for! I know exactly what I'm going to get when I pay $200 for this. I get to see Jay Cutler throw 3 interceptions a week and curse at the TV. :)

kurtyordy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Aug 28, 2007
PA
Russ,

I agree with you in principle, but there are some very big hurdles in the way. The biggest in my mind is that the average US adult watches 4 hours tv per day. That works out to 120 hours per month. At $0.25 per 30 minutes, that comes out to $30/month.

To take advantage of any web based per show model, high speed internet would be needed. Most providers in my area that provide high speed and phone throw in the tv in the bundle for about $30/month. So it would be difficult to sell this to the mass consumer couch potato.

That being said, I think it could be created using a Howard Stern-Sirius type model, but it would take balls on the part of a studio.

Take a show like Lost or 24, and don't do a finale, do a broadcast finale, and then 1 season exlusively online for $x per episode. If enough popular shows did this, the model would start to be adopted in my opinion. Imagine if you could have watched an extra season of Seinfield and only had to pay $0.25/episode. I would have gone for it.

The question would be, could the revenue support the salaries of popular show with a web only model for a season? I do not have enough knowledge of the situation to speak to this, but I would imagine a model could be built.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Sad to see the Tony Robbins show didn't make it. I was an original guest on the Cindy Margolis talk show pilot shot on South Beach. Partied with her afterwards. She got picked up for 6 shows and cancelled. I think all the TV execs just did it to try and get a shot at her, really.

Another show that is pretty good is "undercover boss". CEO of major company goes undercover as a worker in various entry level jobs then reveals himself at the end. A good show, inspiring.

HD-digital radio may be a new big platform for music purchases. When you are listening to a song and you like it, you can bookmark it to your itunes for purchase. Brilliant delivery of impulse purchasing. Depending on someone to look up the song later to buy is futile, but a buy now type scenario is brilliant. I do not have one of the HD radio decks yet. Anyone have one?

Itunes is pretty much dead to me with Pandora around on smart phones.

livebig

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
May 23, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Red, unfortunately, it's only the 6 episodes that aired before on NBC. I don't think there are any plans to shoot new ones.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Red, unfortunately, it's only the 6 episodes that aired before on NBC. I don't think there are any plans to shoot new ones.

Well ain't that a bunch o' crap? WTF OPRAH -surely they'll shoot more? I can't imagine they would just regurgitate old episodes?!?? I would be shocked if the Oprah brand did that? I'll keep an eye on it...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.