The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Boring or Terrible Service Businesses that Have the Potential for Fastlaners...

smithsta

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
May 4, 2014
Seems to me like your straying from your original post. You don’t have to re-invent the wheel and create an ‘Uber’ style business. I thought we were talking about conventional ‘boring’ service businesses here.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
You've solved customer service, but you're not hearing what people are telling you about having trouble finding quality workers. Yes, excellent customer service is a weak spot for many of these types of jobs, but that could be because the business is already operating at capacity.

@minivanman has specifically mentioned 2-3 times now that he has 1,800 customers but only capacity for 180 of them. Why doesn't the business he partners with hire more people to handle the rest of the available customers? They can't.

If you could tell a business "I can promise you a reliable worker who will show up on time, every day, and stay with you for at least a year" you'll have people knocking your door down. Solve that problem, and you can serve every niche. Maybe technology solves that problem (so 1 person can do the job of 3), or maybe employees need better benefits and pay, better training, and more flexibility with their hours.

Some businesses struggle to find and retain clients. You don't want to serve them - they can't afford you. You want to find the business who has more customers than he can handle and help him figure out how to scale up effectively.

With client demand like that, prices should go up.

Can the employee problem be solved with a bonus up front that has to be paid back if they leave before a year?

Can the problem of good people leaving to compete and take clients be solved by adding a time limit non-compete that starts when employment ends?

Just some thoughts.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
You've solved customer service, but you're not hearing what people are telling you about having trouble finding quality workers. Yes, excellent customer service is a weak spot for many of these types of jobs, but that could be because the business is already operating at capacity.

@minivanman has specifically mentioned 2-3 times now that he has 1,800 customers but only capacity for 180 of them. Why doesn't the business he partners with hire more people to handle the rest of the available customers? They can't.

If you could tell a business "I can promise you a reliable worker who will show up on time, every day, and stay with you for at least a year" you'll have people knocking your door down. Solve that problem, and you can serve every niche. Maybe technology solves that problem (so 1 person can do the job of 3), or maybe employees need better benefits and pay, better training, and more flexibility with their hours.

Some businesses struggle to find and retain clients. You don't want to serve them - they can't afford you. You want to find the business who has more customers than he can handle and help him figure out how to scale up effectively.

Thanks for giving some more insight into the problem. Im starting understand the point better.

So what do you think is the issue primarily with workers not being fully committed to their field? Is It because of the type of work/field you think, the pay, etc?

I’m wondering because a company like Vanguard (fema contract inspections) have an overflow of contractors who I’ve seen travel 1200 miles and sleep in their car for work, and other companies do not? I’ve heard some inspectors can earn up around 30k for a disaster (hurricane) in 3 months working non stop 7 days a week.

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
So what do you think is the issue primarily with workers not being fully committed to their field? Is It because of the type of work/field you think, the pay, etc?
That's the million dollar question. How can you turn a bad employee into a good employee? How can you find more good employees? How can you keep the good employees long-term?

Every business asks those questions, whether it's Joe Blow HVAC or Google. Google just has more money to find the answers.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
With client demand like that, prices should go up.

Can the employee problem be solved with a bonus up front that has to be paid back if they leave before a year?

Can the problem of good people leaving to compete and take clients be solved by adding a time limit non-compete that starts when employment ends?

Just some thoughts.

I have a very small part of a lot of businesses. It is not up to me at all for the prices to go up or down. I make suggestions once or twice but in the end, I never bother anyone. It's their business basically... that's our deal. I don't really keep track of their prices but I do know when they first started they charged $25 to mow a lawn. Then I got them up to $30 and now $45. They don't seem interested in going higher. All they do is mow/trim/edge/blow/go. I started a few of these businesses myself, I love them.

Try hiring Jim Bob, give him a big bonus up front and see how long he stays before giving you the finger. Hell, I'd have to laugh right along with him if I was stupid enough to do that. But the point is still being missed.... you could offer someone $100 an hour, they would come in for an interview, you hire them to start tomorrow and you will never see them again. Or, they come in for a week or 3 and never show up again. I did have this rule when I had all my girls working for me. YOU must pick up your check. No one at any time for any reason is allowed to pick up your check for you. In the hospital? I'll come bring it to you. In jail? I'll come bring it to you. Had to leave the country? YOU can pick it up when you get back. Yes, I did get a few phone calls from the labor department so I'd tell them I'll mail the check out. I'd usually wait a few days and then mail it. We were a tight-nit group so they all knew it was better to just tell me you wanted to quit instead of trying to play around. That way they could come back to work if they ever wanted.... and most did.

Non compete's are very common. I've seen them go both ways. But then again.... if you have a very great person working for you and paying them well yet they decide to start their own business.... they will never work the same for you as long as they do work for you. Once that bug gets in them... it's there. The best you can hope for is that they don't try to take your customers and it might be better for your business that they do quit, the sooner the better before they do end up screwing you.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
I see. So it’s a managing and maintaining workers in the field. I get it. I bet it can be frustrating dealing with those kind of issues (hiring/firing, handling pay checks, etc)? To be honest, I really would prefer creating a business that is little to none employees because of the managerial side of things.

If the turnover right is high, should the business focus more of a McDonald’s approach where it is systematic or does it require an intrinsic skill that may take time to get the job done?

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
I see. So it’s a managing and maintaining workers in the field. I get it. I bet it can be frustrating dealing with those kind of issues (hiring/firing, handling pay checks, etc)? To be honest, I really would prefer creating a business that is little to none employees because of the managerial side of things.

If the turnover right is high, should the business focus more of a McDonald’s approach where it is systematic or does it require an intrinsic skill that may take time to get the job done?

You're basically ruling out the majority of service businesses then, which was the premise of this thread. You're going through the same issues in your head that all of us have experienced as business owners. Running these companies isn't easy at all, which is why the service tends to be terrible. Any service that relies on low skilled and low paid employees will face the real difficulties of managing these types of people. It's easy to think that these local business owners suck and we could all do a better job, and in many regards, you might be right, but when it comes to staff management and retention, it's an incredibly complex problem.

I also want to note, this Uber-style of "employment" is not even legal in many circumstances. For people to be independent contractors the IRS has a strict set of guidelines that you must follow. One is that you can never tell them when and where to work. You could argue, the way that TaskRabbit and Handy do, that they have the choice over whether to accept each job or not, but they are still required to go to a particular home at a set time and finish the job within a given timeframe. Call any IRS agent or employment lawyer, they'll tell you that at best it's on the edge, at worse it's blatantly illegal. Which is why all of these companies are being repeatedly sued over and over by ex-workers. Plus, you can't train your staff in any way, give them any equipment, force them to wear a uniform and if a job goes poorly they are independent contractors so tough luck, you can't force them to go back and arguably you can't deduct pay from them either because you pay for the job to be done, not to be done well or even adequately.

That's all before you start looking at the problems these Uber for X companies have, which is that the service is always horrible. They get 3 stars average, often less, which is appalling for a local service company. I truly believe that the best way to run companies like this is a decentralized system like a franchise, but completely company owned. Where instead of a franchisee you have a high paid MBA graduate whose pay is heavily incentivized based on a few key metrics like ROIC, increase in FCF and increase in net revenue. You'd need to grow very very slowly, using the first location to form systems for everything, test price elasticity and then charge right at the top to justify the associated costs of management etc.

I'm in the constant process of trying to figure this out for my own company and if I make any progress, I will be sure to never tell anybody because it's a problem that if solved could make anybody billions of dollars, it's that big of an issue.

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Thanks for roundhouse kicking me in the a$$ again @Boo and @minivanman (laughs).

Honestly do you all think there will be a answer for that? It seems like a portion of it is out of your control (employees quit, some steal your customers like you mentioned above, cause problems, etc), and that’s just business. I feel like it’s inevitable to happen, but there are ways you can somewhat reduce/incentivize it (better pay, bonuses, coming together as a team to see what needs to be improved, etc)?

My main premise was to find potentially fast lane ideas/businesses that not everyone is doing, with highly profit potential. Not necessarily the next Uber (if duck shit pickup is needed, it has potential). Someone mentioned in a similar thread (100 unsexy fastlane ideas) about a manure spreading business.

Love the advice by the way. Has my gears moving!

Filippos

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 25, 2018
Pretty much any "blue collar" industry has massive opportunities I think.

Here's an example (gotta be a bit vague to not give away this guy's product):

Business neighbor of mine was a salesman for a service company that does a certain type of manual labor for houses.

He saw that these guys used tools that caused the work to be back-breaking (literally), and the systems in this industry hadn't really changed, well...ever.

So he invented a tool that saves time and the health of the workers back. An amazingly simple device that costs about $10 to make, and he sells them for $74.99

A trade show, some samples given out, a nice website and some youtube videos and he's selling 10+ per day less than a week after going live. 6 months later and he's got a huge bankroll...

Now he's working on getting workman's comp carriers to offer discounts to companies that use his device.

He has now also invented another product for this industry. Again, one that saves people's spines. This one costs about $1,500 to make, and sells for $6,500-$10,000 depending on the model.

He's selling 2-3 a week.

Of course this is an example of supporting the "blue collar" businesses, but there is tremendous opportunity with operating service businesses too, because no one wants to get their hands dirty and lot's of blue collar business owner's have little business sense.

There are two awesome principles here that can be used as criteria for a good business idea (of course they are already mentioned in Unscripted in a better way, but the use cases seem to make the principles more believable):
1) Instead of going with the mass of local service businesses, create a business that provides services to them. You'll have many customers that you know they need help and you can define them very precisely, which means your marketing strategy can be developed in a matter of a few hours.
2) The markets that are packed with a mass of old-timers are those that have the biggest potential for such endeavors. So it makes sense that boring businesses would an interesting list to go through, because those are the ones where people can be lazy enough to follow the same practices, just because that's how it's been done always. However, I would consider them customers for my unscripted business and not opportunities for a business...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You're basically ruling out the majority of service businesses then, which was the premise of this thread. You're going through the same issues in your head that all of us have experienced as business owners. Running these companies isn't easy at all, which is why the service tends to be terrible. Any service that relies on low skilled and low paid employees will face the real difficulties of managing these types of people. It's easy to think that these local business owners suck and we could all do a better job, and in many regards, you might be right, but when it comes to staff management and retention, it's an incredibly complex problem.

I also want to note, this Uber-style of "employment" is not even legal in many circumstances. For people to be independent contractors the IRS has a strict set of guidelines that you must follow. One is that you can never tell them when and where to work. You could argue, the way that TaskRabbit and Handy do, that they have the choice over whether to accept each job or not, but they are still required to go to a particular home at a set time and finish the job within a given timeframe. Call any IRS agent or employment lawyer, they'll tell you that at best it's on the edge, at worse it's blatantly illegal. Which is why all of these companies are being repeatedly sued over and over by ex-workers. Plus, you can't train your staff in any way, give them any equipment, force them to wear a uniform and if a job goes poorly they are independent contractors so tough luck, you can't force them to go back and arguably you can't deduct pay from them either because you pay for the job to be done, not to be done well or even adequately.

That's all before you start looking at the problems these Uber for X companies have, which is that the service is always horrible. They get 3 stars average, often less, which is appalling for a local service company. I truly believe that the best way to run companies like this is a decentralized system like a franchise, but completely company owned. Where instead of a franchisee you have a high paid MBA graduate whose pay is heavily incentivized based on a few key metrics like ROIC, increase in FCF and increase in net revenue. You'd need to grow very very slowly, using the first location to form systems for everything, test price elasticity and then charge right at the top to justify the associated costs of management etc.

I'm in the constant process of trying to figure this out for my own company and if I make any progress, I will be sure to never tell anybody because it's a problem that if solved could make anybody billions of dollars, it's that big of an issue.

Yes^^^^^ I try to tell people all the time about how the IRS works and they think because someone like TaskRabbit does it, it MUST be legal. So I try to tell them it is NOT legal and they think I'm the idiot. The IRS is a little forgiving because they realize customers want a certain time but as said above, it leaves the door open for legal action by the worker.

SEBASTlAN

Marketing Wizard
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Dec 22, 2014
Los Angeles
I know a guy that makes very nice coin doing garage clearances. He probably gets between 500 to 1000% on his purchase. Customers love him as he clears the whole garage out and they get paid for the privilege. He goes through all the items and advertises the items on ebay/Craig list/local paper classified ads. Lots of power tools, chain saws, lawn mowers as you can imagine which if they don’t work he breaks down for parts and makes a lot of extra money selling.
Dude. That's a goldmine.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I love having these unsexy local service businesses as my clients.

Plumbers, solicitors, wedding planners, office fit-outs, cleaning companies, hydraulic pump servicing, etc.

Boo

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Jul 6, 2018
Although I don't currently do any B2B or B2G (government) work, I tend to think those business models are superior in some regards. Have a think about the kinds of services that businesses and governments need.

Take a restaurant, for example, there are probably thousands in your city. Each of them has probably a couple deep fat fryers and they likely hire specialized teams to come in periodically to clean them deeply. Similarly, many restaurants rent cooking equipment because it's quite pricey. Could you buy and rent grills or friers?

At the end of a single day, a large restaurant has up to a thousand dirty napkins. All of those need to be cleaned. A service business comes directly to the restaurant, picks them up, cleans and returns them the following day or day after. Predictable and long-term revenue.

With the government, the opportunities are endless and quite often in a publically visible list. If you search for your local areas government tender opportunities, you'll often see precisely what you can bid on right now.

One I saw recently was for jet power washing of trucks and tankers. Another needed jet washing for graffiti removal. While a different contract wanted a power washing company to clean parking lots.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
The labor problems so often mentioned are very real, and are probably the primary reason why service industries are so often the realm of franchising.

When people buy a job, which is the reality of service franchises, they have skin in the game and will usually put in the effort required to succeed. That of course is subject to the franchise model being a genuinely successful system, operated by honest franchisors.

Sadly the franchisors are not always honest. I refer to this in the thread:
How Profitable Are Franchises I link to this thread because it contains material relevant to the discussion here.

In effect the franchisor provides the complete system, and can even provide supplies and equipment. The franchisee supplies the labor, and if they have any sense, the good service.

Setting up a franchise network in most jurisdictions is not for the fainthearted or those who lack capital. There are still a few countries, even in the West, that don't regulate franchises.

Of the larger economies, the UK provides the easiest access for those who want to set up a franchise network. This is because there is no legislated franchise law, and franchisors are simply expected to comply with a voluntary industry code.

The US, with Federal and State governments having legislative controls, has time consuming and expensive compliance procedures that should not even be considered without expert legal advice.

Canada's franchise regulations are so draconian that I shied away from setting up franchises there.

Maybe it's time I finished my often shelved book: "Franchise Your Way Into The Fastlane.":arghh:

Walter

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Apr 12, 2012
Even if the labor problem can't be solved entirely if this is the biggest challenge the business owners in these industries face it's obvious how to get a competitive advantage... become very very good at human resource.

It will still suck but if the labor problem in your business is smaller than the local competition you should have a decent competitive advantage.
So how can you on average hire better employees and have a lower chrunrate? You don't have to be a master at this... if you can get emlpoyees that are on avg 30% "better" and stick around 50% longer than @ the competition you should be in a very good position.
Of course there would be still a lot of situations than will suck... but that's the reason why it pays very well if you develop the skills/systems to have a lot of people working for your businesses.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Even if the labor problem can't be solved entirely if this is the biggest challenge the business owners in these industries face it's obvious how to get a competitive advantage... become very very good at human resource.

It will still suck but if the labor problem in your business is smaller than the local competition you should have a decent competitive advantage.
So how can you on average hire better employees and have a lower chrunrate? You don't have to be a master at this... if you can get emlpoyees that are on avg 30% "better" and stick around 50% longer than @ the competition you should be in a very good position.
Of course there would be still a lot of situations than will suck... but that's the reason why it pays very well if you develop the skills/systems to have a lot of people working for your businesses.
The question still remains. How do you get employees to function 30% better, or stick around 50% longer?

Some answers have already canvassed options such as bonuses and higher pay, but it is a strange fact of life that some people can't even handle the responsibility of turning up for work when they promise. Extra pay or bonuses won't solve the issue with people like that. Even handing out shares in the business won't always work for them.

This is why I recommend franchising. I have seen franchises fail because those who bought a franchise were the type that I referred to in the previous paragraph. They were even willing to lose their investment because it was insufficient motivation for them.

Fortunately that is not a common event. Just as I found in my first business, that when people purchased a sample they were much more inclined to try it out than those to whom I gave a free sample, those willing to invest money in a franchise will usually put in the necessary effort to succeed.

Walter

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Although I don't currently do any B2B or B2G (government) work, I tend to think those business models are superior in some regards. Have a think about the kinds of services that businesses and governments need.

Take a restaurant, for example, there are probably thousands in your city. Each of them has probably a couple deep fat fryers and they likely hire specialized teams to come in periodically to clean them deeply. Similarly, many restaurants rent cooking equipment because it's quite pricey. Could you buy and rent grills or friers?

At the end of a single day, a large restaurant has up to a thousand dirty napkins. All of those need to be cleaned. A service business comes directly to the restaurant, picks them up, cleans and returns them the following day or day after. Predictable and long-term revenue.

With the government, the opportunities are endless and quite often in a publically visible list. If you search for your local areas government tender opportunities, you'll often see precisely what you can bid on right now.

One I saw recently was for jet power washing of trucks and tankers. Another needed jet washing for graffiti removal. While a different contract wanted a power washing company to clean parking lots.

Fryers are simple to clean. When I was a kid and worked at Burger King, we drained the grease every night in 1 fryer, we had 3. While the little machine strained the grease or what ever it did to it, we had this long brush and would dip it in a special food approved solution and cleaned the fryer. Then you take the handle, kind of a gas pump looking thing, and pump the grease back in....done. There are things such as hood vents and such that need cleaning though. People have tried to make a business out of cleaning restrooms for companies but there just isn't any money at all in that. As for napkins, you would need a lot of them and when you pick them up, you leave the same amount you picked up. You can't take them without leaving some for them to use. There are people that do this with knives also. They have all kinds of special knives so the chef tells them what type of knives to leave and then you pick up the knives from last week and take them with you to sharpen. I bet this could be done with mower blades for lawn guys as well. I know a guy from the race track that is a welder. He welded himself some of those big grease pit things out back of restaurants. He goes and picks up a full one and leaves them an empty one. Apparently he makes good money cuz racing is not cheap.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Solve the labor problem. Make billions.

A lot of blue collar jobs are open.

How can you find blue collar labor that can pass a drug test and show up reliably?

Thoelt53

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
293%
Dec 8, 2016
Boston, MA
Solve the labor problem. Make billions.

A lot of blue collar jobs are open.

How can you find blue collar labor that can pass a drug test and show up reliably?
Commission based pay, or incentive based pay seems to work for some of the big home service players. It weeds out the bodies and leaves you with go-getters.

In a past life I worked for a large grocery wholesaler who paid on an incentive basis. HiLo operators who were willing to hustle and work could make $22/hour. Those who didn't have the drive either quit or moved into janitorial, non-incentive positions. The people who put in the work, however, were rock star employees and were probably worth even more than $22/hour. Granted this warehouse was hiring roughly 5 new HiLo operators per month to compensate for turnover and washout. I believe there were roughly 30 HiLo operators total, split over three shifts per day. Good help truly is hard to find.

I heard a podcast with Tom Mello of A1 Garage Door, and in it he spoke of recruiting people from various places he visits during everyday life. For example, he was checking out at Walgreens one day and was blown away by the cashier's level of customer service. Offered him a job on the spot and handed him a business card. A few months later the cashier called Tom wondering if the offer still stood. Tom happily took him on. I believe he had a similar story with an outstanding waitress at a restaurant he ate dinner at one night.

His reasoning was that the people you want working for you are already employed simply because every company wants to employ them. You will rarely find these people looking for work, and instead you have to recruit them from their current job.

Most of these blue collar skills can be taught on the job. The key is to hire based on personality and not necessarily skill set. Be willing to train your employees.

Drug testing and blue collar work is tricky. I have primarily held blue collar jobs and have often joked that if the companies were to drug test, they would be out of business the next day. I have worked with plenty of great people who drink most nights and smoke weed. Those who use harder drugs are easy to spot and usually don't last long, so drug testing for harder substances than weed is beneficial. If your employees show up to work on time, sober and not hungover, let things be. However, this is complicated by Google Home Services, which will require your company to drug test in order to be Google Certified.

Last edited:

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
6 boring service businesses with low startup costs

1) Moving service (commercial moving probably has higher margins than residential)
2) Mobile car wash
3) Dog walking
4) Professional organizer
5) Tablet/phone repair
6) Landscaping

For more ideas, I strongly suggest visiting BizBuySell - Business for Sale Search. Find a business to buy and browsing through 3-5 pages. These are already tried-and-true businesses (though most are not "Fastlane").

A service business can definitely be "Fastlane," it's just harder to pull off because scaling isn't inherent in the system. But before you reach "Fastlane" status, you have to uh, you know, have a working business first!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Just a question because I've never been in the moving business. Why do you think commercial moving has higher margins than residential? By commercial moving do you mean moving businesses?

Asking for a friend. lmao No, actually, some people will read this and wonder the same thing but lots of people never ask questions.

Solais

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Sep 14, 2018
Just a question because I've never been in the moving business. Why do you think commercial moving has higher margins than residential? By commercial moving do you mean moving businesses?

Asking for a friend. lmao No, actually, some people will read this and wonder the same thing but lots of people never ask questions.

Matter of volume and scale.

Example 1:

If I start a tutoring company, I want to partner with public schools, private schools, and organizations that can supply students en masse. A class of 10 students for remedial tutoring @ $25/hour = $250/hour.

If I instead choose to partner with individual households or private families to get clients, then I can only charge a measly $50/hour for 1 on 1 tutoring.

Notice that in both cases, you only need to hire 1 tutor/teacher. Their rates will be roughly the same ($25-$30/hour). But option #1 gives you a FAR HIGHER margin.

Example 2:

If I start a HVAC business, I want to partner with commercial clients like grocery stores. They have hundreds of units that will break down every year or two (maybe more often...I wouldn't know, I'm not a HVAC expert) and when that happens, their #1 priority is getting AC back up or else their inventory quite literally becomes worthless.

If I instead seek out consumer clients, then most houses will only need one or two units replaced whenever their heating/AC breaks down.

Once again, whatever hourly rate you pay your HVAC expert(s) is roughly the same, but the volume (which is directly proportional to the "value" you create) changes depending on the customers you service.

Services can be changed depending on whom you want to service.

Dog walking is strictly B2C (but you can hire someone to walk 8 dogs at once, thus creating a decent margin despite the consumer focus), while a mobile car wash can be B2C or B2B depending on how you execute.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Oh, I get that. I'm actually involved with the teachings of piano, voice, clarinet and viola. We do both private and schools.

I googled commercial moving and it said moving businesses so I was under the impression it was the moving of businesses. So let's get back to moving as an example..... can you use moving as your example since that was what we were talking about. I get all the other things, I'm interested in moving because I've been talking about it lately so I want to see if there is something I'm missing. Thanks

Last edited:

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Go on yelp...

Search a type of local service you would use...

Read every negative review.

When you start to see similarities with negative reviews - that becomes your selling point and you base your marketing strategy around that being your strength.

Just a small tip...
That's a diamond nugget!

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Oh, I get that. I'm actually involved with the teachings of piano, voice, clarinet and viola. We do both private and schools.

I googled commercial moving and it said moving businesses so I was under the impression it was the moving of businesses. So let's get back to moving as an example..... can you use moving as your example since that was what we were talking about. I get all the other things, I'm interested in moving because I've been talking about it lately so I want to see if there is something I'm missing. Thanks

Reminds of Jermaine Griggs (hear and play piano). He has interesting story how he grew his company studying strategies from previous marketers and mastering infusionsoft.

About Jermaine Griggs, Founder of Hear and Play Music - Hear and Play Music Learning Center

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
6 boring service businesses with low startup costs

1) Moving service (commercial moving probably has higher margins than residential)
2) Mobile car wash
3) Dog walking
4) Professional organizer
5) Tablet/phone repair
6) Landscaping

For more ideas, I strongly suggest visiting BizBuySell - Business for Sale Search. Find a business to buy and browsing through 3-5 pages. These are already tried-and-true businesses (though most are not "Fastlane").

A service business can definitely be "Fastlane," it's just harder to pull off because scaling isn't inherent in the system. But before you reach "Fastlane" status, you have to uh, you know, have a working business first!

I found about 3 potential businesses so far. It seems like in my area people are really trying to sell their landscaping, dry cleaning, and turnkey businesses.

Most of these landscaping businesses claim to take home 400k after expenses and they want 1.2 million. Dry cleaners around the same claims (300-400k and want 600-800k).

I do see a company that sells oil and gas supplies. It does pretty well, not sure why the owner wants to sell it?

LamboKing

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jul 1, 2016
Houston
Something interesting, I saw last night on the news, someone came up with a similar product to what I was thinking to come up with for school safety. It’s a bulletproof book you would hold up against your face.

1ed3148b4a752b6a157144f1e44a4c5a.jpg

It supposed to act as a defense from (ak47’s, glocks, and other small hand guns/assault riffles).

He has it at a $500 price tag.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
1. Commission based pay, or incentive based pay seems to work for some of the big home service players. It weeds out the bodies and leaves you with go-getters.

2. In a past life I worked for a large grocery wholesaler who paid on an incentive basis. HiLo operators who were willing to hustle and work could make $22/hour. Those who didn't have the drive either quit or moved into janitorial, non-incentive positions. The people who put in the work, however, were rock star employees and were probably worth even more than $22/hour. 3. Granted this warehouse was hiring roughly 5 new HiLo operators per month to compensate for turnover and washout. I believe there were roughly 30 HiLo operators total, split over three shifts per day. Good help truly is hard to find.

4. I heard a podcast with Tom Mello of A1 Garage Door, and in it he spoke of recruiting people from various places he visits during everyday life. For example, he was checking out at Walgreens one day and was blown away by the cashier's level of customer service. Offered him a job on the spot and handed him a business card. A few months later the cashier called Tom wondering if the offer still stood. Tom happily took him on. I believe he had a similar story with an outstanding waitress at a restaurant he ate dinner at one night.

5. His reasoning was that the people you want working for you are already employed simply because every company wants to employ them. You will rarely find these people looking for work, and instead you have to recruit them from their current job.

Most of these blue collar skills can be taught on the job. 6.The key is to hire based on personality and not necessarily skill set. Be willing to train your employees.
1. Incentive based pay for service industries can be linked to customer feedback. A feedback request with a discount as an incentive to mail or text it back could work.
Commission based pay doesn't always work. Even people who think they are crash hot salesmen or saleswomen can grow complacent when earning good commissions, and they slacken off. Reason? Laziness. In passing I must add that to prepare territories for sale of my franchises I employed commission sales reps. The females stuck to the jobs and excelled in comparison to the males.
2. Incentive based productivity rewards can work. I have seen that work in various manufacturing industries.
3. Often overlooked is the fact that cost of locating and hiring employees could be offset to some extent by use of incentives.
4. This is in my opinion the best way to headhunt. If they demonstrate great service in normal interactions with customers, you have probably found someone you are looking for.
5. I think Tom Mello's reasoning is flawed here. They might be in employment because of the fact that any help is hard to find in today's economy.
6. Near the end of my period of extremely successful technical selling, I persuaded my MD to employ a young salesman who like me had no technical qualifications. He did a brilliant job. Later, having struggled to find even casual employment in sales because of lack of letters after my name, and after succeeding in setting up and running my highly technical business for which I had no formal qualifications at all, I was visited by numerous totally inadequate sales representatives, all with impressive university qualifications.
Few employers, and even employment agencies seem to have the ability to see the qualities of applicants unless the have the "necessary" qualifications.

Walter

LuckyPup

Opportunity + Preparation = Success
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Aug 2, 2012
Midwest USA
Seems to me a lot of service, locally based companies have poor CS.

In the other thread I mentioned I've been calling around for a surveyor. Only 1 responded promptly. One responded weeks later, and the others, not at all. And it isn't a small job.
This is a HUGE pain point for me (aka a potential opportunity). Whether it's lawn mowers, maid services, pool companies or landscapers, the level of service and communication is HORRIBLE around here. Some of these idiots will spend money to run an ad, then not return customer calls. Do they even WANT to be in business?!

It doesn't take much to stand out from the masses of jackasses in these categories, and I've thought long and hard about how to capitalize on this. I could build a company that competes directly, but I'm not sure how to make this a fast lane biz (even though it would be hugely gratifying to crush these idiots). I'm in marketing, so I've also thought about creating a lead gen service or a directory for them, but Home Advisor and Angie's list seem to have that buttoned up. Another thing that makes me hesitate is having any of these companies as customers, given the difficulty of working with them as a customer. Plus, many don't have any money to spend. Still, I can't stop thinking about it...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.