The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Aspiring to fullfilment, happiness and life.

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Me
Hi everyone, I'm a 25 years old French Canadian. I'll try to be as transparent as possible, but I'm sorry if I just throw a ton of information all at once.

Note: I didn't read TFL or Unscripted yet. The main reason is that I preordered the French version of TFL for my girlfriend's birthday. I should receive it next week and I'm giving her the book on November 9th. I'm probably going to get her Unscripted too... so I'll read both at that time !

I have always been passionate about computers and video games (since I was 6 years old). I'm pretty much a self taught programmer, even though I have a college degree in Computer Sciences (barely learned anything there). I am a Web Developer at a University here, averaging CAD$45K/yr. I never held lemonade stands when I was a kid, but I'm pretty good at shoveling snow during winter (never did it to earn money though, I just want to be able to get out of my driveway). I have about $15K in debt, I drive a good old 2005 Ford Focus. I recently sold my dream bike (read more in the "about me" section of my profile) after some vandalism issues and got a smaller, more affordable KTM RC390 motorcycle, which sadly doesn't fullfil my adrenalin needs as much as my 2016 Ninja ZX-10R did.

I realized, over time, that I don't really enjoy programming on a day to day basis (I enjoy PHP and JavaScript, most programmers hate them... I work in .NET a the office).

What prevented me to start my own business ? Myself.
I'm scared. I'm currently supporting my girlfriend with her own entrepreneur coaching business for the last couple of years, which cut most of my free flowing money that I'd usually have (I currently only have my emergency fund and some spare change).

What am I scared of ? I'm not scared of failing. I'm scared of failing and having no money. I feel like I'm lost right now, I don't really know where my interests are and what I want to do. I'm decent in repairing PCs, but mostly software side. I thought about offering computer support services, but there's always what if going on in my head... "What if I have to do some physical work and screw the computer over?".
What I'm sure of, is that I don't want to keep "living" the way I do staring at life passing by while I'm just a spectator of everything that goes on. I want to act. Hell, I'm even acting NOW. Right after this article, I'm adding stuff to my To Do list to break my routine and act more. Small objectives at first, small victories and more motivation everytime towards a bigger goal !

I don't drink (except on holidays), I don't smoke, I never go out in bars. I don't even know how people have the same salary that I have can afford doing these activities weekly.

If you have questions about me or my background, feel free to ask ! I'll probably answer you then edit this post to include the relevant information.

My area

I live in a pretty secluded place. I'm lost in the northern part of Quebec province, in Canada.

The whole area exists solely because of mines. Gold, copper, zinc, lithium, etc. A lot of people here don't attend college, they complete high school and get a job at the mines average >100K$/yr for people going underground. The mines and the industry around them make most of our economical strength here.

There's also an open pit mine nearby, Canadian Malartic. It was the biggest gold open pit in Canada for a while, I'm not sure if it still is. The company that started it had to move half of a town to actually start the mine. They built a 30 feet (or more, not sure) natural wall between the mine and the town to prevent noise from the heavy vehicles, blasts, drilling, etc.

They're planning to relocate the highway leading to the town since the mine will eventually extend all the way to the bottom of this picture:

mine-canadian-malartic.jpg

The biggest city 300 miles around has a population of about 40,000 people. Most people will not attend college and will stop after high school, since working at any of the dozen mines in the area will result in ~100K$CAD/yr.

Weather-wise, we get a lot of snow from October through May. Temperature often hits -22F and sometimes gets to -40F (coldest I've been in is -59F, but it's been a while). Usually, snow banks o nthe side of the road can be from 3 feet to 6-7 feet high.

The majority of people here hardly speaks or understands English. Quebec residents are all speaking in French (except Montrealers... but they're about 350 miles, south-east, away from us).

My objectives
What do I want from this forum ? My objective overall is to be happy. I have always been an analytical and logical person, I think a lot (which really doesn't help to become a do-er !). If I can learn enough to be able to give back to others, that would make my day. I want to give back.

Becoming a do-er. I mean, being I do-er, now.

Thank you and have a great day guys,

Jeff

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Me
Hi everyone, I'm a 25 years old French Canadian. I'll try to be as transparent as possible, but I'm sorry if I just throw a ton of information all at once.

Note: I didn't read TFL or Unscripted yet. The main reason is that I preordered the French version of TFL for my girlfriend's birthday. I should receive it next week and I'm giving her the book on November 9th. I'm probably going to get her Unscripted too... so I'll read both at that time !

I have always been passionate about computers and video games (since I was 6 years old). I'm pretty much a self taught programmer, even though I have a college degree in Computer Sciences (barely learned anything there). I am a Web Developer at a University here, averaging CAD$45K/yr. I never held lemonade stands when I was a kid, but I'm pretty good at shoveling snow during winter (never did it to earn money though, I just want to be able to get out of my driveway). I have about $15K in debt, I drive a good old 2005 Ford Focus. I recently sold my dream bike (read more in the "about me" section of my profile) after some vandalism issues and got a smaller, more affordable KTM RC390 motorcycle, which sadly doesn't fullfil my adrenalin needs as much as my 2016 Ninja ZX-10R did.

I realized, over time, that I don't really enjoy programming on a day to day basis (I enjoy PHP and JavaScript, most programmers hate them... I work in .NET a the office).

I'm scared. I'm currently supporting my girlfriend with her own entrepreneur coaching business for the last couple of years, which cut most of my free flowing money that I'd usually have (I currently only have my emergency fund and some spare change).

What am I scared of ? I'm not scared of failing. I'm scared of failing and having no money. I feel like I'm lost right now, I don't really know where my interests are and what I want to do. I'm decent in repairing PCs, but mostly software side. I thought about offering computer support services, but there's always what if going on in my head... "What if I have to do some physical work and screw the computer over?".
What I'm sure of, is that I don't want to keep "living" the way I do staring at life passing by while I'm just a spectator of everything that goes on. I want to act. Hell, I'm even acting NOW. Right after this article, I'm adding stuff to my To Do list to break my routine and act more. Small objectives at first, small victories and more motivation everytime towards a bigger goal !

I don't drink (except on holidays), I don't smoke, I never go out in bars. I don't even know how people have the same salary that I have can afford doing these activities weekly.

If you have questions about me or my background, feel free to ask ! I'll probably answer you then edit this post to include the relevant information.

My area

I live in a pretty secluded place. I'm lost in the northern part of Quebec province, in Canada.

The whole area exists solely because of mines. Gold, copper, zinc, lithium, etc. A lot of people here don't attend college, they complete high school and get a job at the mines average >100K$/yr for people going underground. The mines and the industry around them make most of our economical strength here.

There's also an open pit mine nearby, Canadian Malartic. It was the biggest gold open pit in Canada for a while, I'm not sure if it still is. The company that started it had to move half of a town to actually start the mine. They built a 30 feet (or more, not sure) natural wall between the mine and the town to prevent noise from the heavy vehicles, blasts, drilling, etc.

They're planning to relocate the highway leading to the town since the mine will eventually extend all the way to the bottom of this picture:

View attachment 22276

The biggest city 300 miles around has a population of about 40,000 people. Most people will not attend college and will stop after high school, since working at any of the dozen mines in the area will result in ~100K$CAD/yr.

Weather-wise, we get a lot of snow from October through May. Temperature often hits -22F and sometimes gets to -40F (coldest I've been in is -59F, but it's been a while). Usually, snow banks o nthe side of the road can be from 3 feet to 6-7 feet high.

The majority of people here hardly speaks or understands English. Quebec residents are all speaking in French (except Montrealers... but they're about 350 miles, south-east, away from us).

My objectives
What do I want from this forum ? My objective overall is to be happy. I have always been an analytical and logical person, I think a lot (which really doesn't help to become a do-er !). If I can learn enough to be able to give back to others, that would make my day. I want to give back.

Jeff
Welcome Jeff, and thanks for the intro.

Have you considered web design? You’ve IT skills. If you provided a service to businesses then you’re rubbing shoulders with business owners.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
Welcome to the forum Jeff!

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Welcome Jeff, and thanks for the intro.

Have you considered web design? You’ve IT skills. If you provided a service to businesses then you’re rubbing shoulders with business owners.
Thank you Andy, thank you everyone !

I have indeed considered web design, UI and general and even user experience optimization (going more technical within the web page usage analysis). I think my main issue here is that even though I have quite a lot of creative thinking, I'm really not an artistic guy. Doing mockups in Photoshop and things like that, that's not for me (I tried being a web integrator before). A big part of this is probably caused by one of my main weaknesses: perfectionism. I feel like the designs I would produce would just never be good enough.

I did it for a one time deal with a client, and it ended up disastrous. I did it another time for my girlfriend (I made her website, logo, color design, everything) and I've been able to do something decent, but we've used a pre-existing Wordpress theme that I adapted and fiddled with.

I will give it a try !

I think setting up everything else could be an interesting sideline (that could grow bigger) for me though: setting up the hosting, configuring the different CMS instances, plugins and so on.

There's so many things I could try, yet I always end up doing nothing.

Everything changes, starting today. I already changed my routine for the night, and tomorrow morning will be something I never did in the last years too. I will also send a few messages tomorrow morning and see if I can try my hand on one or two SMB that are not even officially started. Won't cost them a dime, and their feedback could kickstart my motivation or help me adjust the way I do the whole process.

Wow, I only wanted to say thanks and here I am writing a whole chapter for you !

Edit: I must also say I have some knowledge about SMM (Social Media Marketing), which could also help those businesses a lot. There's so many simple stuff to do over there that people just won't think about !

Edit #2 this morning: Went over to AdWords, realized the position of my girlfriend's website is terrible. I started defining which search terms people use when finding her website and comparing their potential.
Adjusted her meta description and title, also planning to bid on her own business name keyword.
Started comparing competitors and finding what words they use, their SEO, their landing pages, etc. To find strengths and weaknesses.

Wrote her recommendations towards reworking her actual sales landing page and/or creating a landing page dedicated to specific search terms, including buzzwords to use, SEO recommendations and visual queues without looking like a guru selling dreams.

Thank you again @Andy Black. Your interviews and gold/notable threads are tremendously helping already.

Last edited:

George Appiah

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Aug 16, 2018
Accra, Ghana
Me

My area

View attachment 22276

My objectives

Jeff

Thanks, Jeff, for the amazing introduction.

And welcome to the Fastlane community forums!

Jeff Noel

Go all in.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Oct 26, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Thank you George !
I really can't wait until I read the books so I can finally use the forums more.

I hold myself from posting everywhere, since I feel I'm missing a few steps (books) before having the right to do so.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...