The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ask me anything about eCommerce (Ongoing)

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
I'm still looking on alibaba, but it all depends on the product you are ordering. BTW, alibaba isn't only for China factories. Factories from all countries are on there.

So where did everyone say their products were from if not China?
Great point by Biophase. China is not the only place to source from on Alibaba. It really depends on the type of product your looking for. For example, I've sourced a specific brand of energy drinks on alibaba from a supplier in Turkey (they have some amazing energy drink brands there.)

Also, Korea has some great products that are way advanced than anything I've seen from Chinese suppliers. They have some new technology that has not even been introduced in North America yet. @Walter Hay mentions a great sourcing site for Korean products in his eBook.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hello biophase, thanks for taking the time to do this AMA. Have gained a lot insights from reading you and everybody else's discussions.

Just wanted to clarify the process for ordering custom samples based on what you have said:

From the above this is my understanding:

-get generic product samples from e.g. 10 suppliers
-you like the sample quality & communication of 3 suppliers
-msg these 3 suppliers with your modifications and get samples of the modified version
-place order with best one

What I don't understand is how do the 3 factories make the customised samples without creating the $2000 custom mold? In this layman example should I be expecting to pay $6000 to get custom samples from the 3 factories, or am I misunderstanding the process?

Thanks in advance, and merry xmas everyone!!

If it will cost you $2000 to get the custom mold, then you would:
-negotiate price with 3 suppliers
-choose one
-place production order, created mold, pay for mold
-receive 1st production sample
-approve sample, move forward with production

Hai

Beauty is Truth
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Jan 1, 2015
I´ve been into ecommerce for a while now, waiting for my first shipment and have a range of products in the pipeline. Found a product that I want to improve to make it more durable by material composition or thickness. Do you think the manufacturer knows which materials are better? Or is this in your hand to formulate the material composition or thickness and place your order?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I´ve been into ecommerce for a while now, waiting for my first shipment and have a range of products in the pipeline. Found a product that I want to improve to make it more durable by material composition or thickness. Do you think the manufacturer knows which materials are better? Or is this in your hand to formulate the material composition or thickness and place your order?

Yes, the manufacturer should know what materials are better and why. You can ask for a thicker material, or say one that is more flexible, or more stiff. They should tell you what they think will work. You should research the materials that they suggest.

But sometimes, you need to give them direction. For example, if I wanted a lighter dog crate, they may suggest aluminum vs. steel. But they probably won't suggest carbon fiber.

New

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Sep 2, 2016
Great point by Biophase. China is not the only place to source from on Alibaba. It really depends on the type of product your looking for. For example, I've sourced a specific brand of energy drinks on alibaba from a supplier in Turkey (they have some amazing energy drink brands there.)

Also, Korea has some great products that are way advanced than anything I've seen from Chinese suppliers. They have some new technology that has not even been introduced in North America yet. @Walter Hay mentions a great sourcing site for Korean products in his eBook.

Thank you guys a lot for the input.

I guess one needs to get rid of the idea that Alibaba is for Chinese manufacturers only. Makes sense, it is number 1 sourcing website, why only limit it to China?

Regarding the answers I got (biophase asked), well, nothing specific. Let me check so I can quote them

QUOTED, Just for reference:

- everyone and their mom has had the idea of importing from alibaba. Those port fee's too op. Private label something market it then you might make it. Invent something, have china supply it.

-I don't think importing from Alibaba is the way to go if you want to build a real business for the long run, because those people selling to you on Ali are also on eBay, selling it for just a little more than what they're selling to you at. Also, I would say a majority of people who sell on Alibaba for that market are also themselves re sellers for the real producers.

- You believe a lie (I asked: '"does everyone import from Alibaba or have I been all my life believing a lie?"

- Some ppl here dropship. Some ppl find retail wholesale distributors. Some ppl here actually have contracts in China to manufacture their own trademarked goods. Some ppl here do secondary market sales (like resell used stuff). There are so many markets than just Alibaba importing.

Althought now that I read it some people DID mention that they import from Alibaba.

Spicymemer45

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 30, 2016
Butner, NC
Alot has changed since my Ask me about Ecommerce AMA from 2012, so I thought I'd do an updated AMA as some of the answers in the previous thread are now outdated. The online marketplace has shifted greatly in the past couple years. Some examples of what has changed:
  • Google Shopping is now at the top of your search results, so ranking #1 for a specific term is not as valuable as before. I don't do anymore SEO.
  • Big box stores like Amazon, Walmart and Target now dominate the results whereas before smaller niche stores did.
  • Amazon is now the place to be in Ecommerce.
  • A huge shift has happened from dropshipping to importing and branding.
So go ahead and ask away!

Hey @biophase

Thanks for creating this forum!

1.) I'm running an E-Commerce T-shirt store but I also want to break into selling on Amazon

How would I go about finding a market need?

How do I determine the markets saturation?

Getting my foot in the door?..

Thanks!

Azure

Perpetual Motion
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Mar 12, 2016
Hey @biophase

Thanks for creating this forum!

1.) I'm running an E-Commerce T-shirt store but I also want to break into selling on Amazon

How would I go about finding a market need?

How do I determine the markets saturation?

Getting my foot in the door?..

Thanks!
You're new here right?

Read the thread in its entirety.

Your questions and all the other questions you're likely to have will be answered if you read the damn thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dicky Dee

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
May 25, 2014
@biophase What are you using to automate inventory reordering? Inventory planner is not completely accurate in Amazon and I need to find another solution.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase What are you using to automate inventory reordering? Inventory planner is not completely accurate in Amazon and I need to find another solution.

I don't automate it. I just reorder when I have to.

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
@biophase not sure if you answered this question and by the way amazing thread. It's weird that I am now also seeing all these amazon gurus popping up in facebook ads.

Anyway.. You said you usually pay with wire transfer. Doesn't this take 5-10 business days to clear?

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase not sure if you answered this question and by the way amazing thread. It's weird that I am now also seeing all these amazon gurus popping up in facebook ads.

Anyway.. You said you usually pay with wire transfer. Doesn't this take 5-10 business days to clear?

No wire transfers usually take 1 day to go through.

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
Hmm guess my banks are different.

And you mentioned that the manufacturers could do Amazon but haven't figured it out.

I live in Australia so would have to ship directly to Amazon FBA. But if I did this, wouldn't they then know exactly how to do it then? Since I would need each pack packaged with barcode etc.

Also for anyone talking to chinese suppliers, it's worth downloading the wechat app.

Last edited:

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hmm guess my banks are different.

And you mentioned that the manufacturers could do Amazon but haven't figured it out.

I live in Australia so would have to ship directly to Amazon FBA. But if I did this, wouldn't they then know exactly how to do it then? Since I would need each pack packaged with barcode etc.

Also for anyone talking to chinese suppliers, it's worth downloading the wechat app.

You can ship from your factory to a US fulfillment center and then have them ship to the FBA warehouse.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Yes, the manufacturer should know what materials are better and why. You can ask for a thicker material, or say one that is more flexible, or more stiff. They should tell you what they think will work. You should research the materials that they suggest.

Ever have them suggest materials that are not to your advantage?

I'm pretty sure I just had that suggestion made to me, but I can't tell if they are guiding me with their experience or just trying to use cheaper materials.

I'm not convinced that what they suggest is better is actually better.

Of course I'm reading up on what they suggested, but I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence?

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Ever have them suggest materials that are not to your advantage?

I'm pretty sure I just had that suggestion made to me, but I can't tell if they are guiding me with their experience or just trying to use cheaper materials.

I'm not convinced that what they suggest is better is actually better.

Of course I'm reading up on what they suggested, but I'm wondering if this is a common occurrence?

Not sure. I guess if they did that, they would be trying to lower their costs to increase their profits. Are you trying to beat them down on price? If so, they may suggest cheaper materials to reach your target price.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
Not sure. I guess if they did that, they would be trying to lower their costs to increase their profits. Are you trying to beat them down on price? If so, they may suggest cheaper materials to reach your target price.

No, haven't gotten to price yet. That's what threw me off, if it was price I would understand.

I remained politely firm and told them that it wouldn't meet my needs, and asked to continue with the original design. (took a preexisting product and have them working out some design flaws. Decent idea for a product, but very poorly executed)

They haven't responded yet. Maybe I'm not dealing with the actual manufacturer? Sure seemed like I was, but this response makes me question it.

Part of the learning curve I suppose.

Thanks for the response!

RisingStars

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
127%
Sep 9, 2014
Germany
Hi @biophase

you talked a lot about improving products in your last threads. I am with you that this is very important. I am already selling a product in my niche and it is doing pretty good but I want to add a second product. With my first product I only improved the packaging which sucked on the competitors products.

For my next product I would like to do some major improvements on a product I've found. I contacted a few suppliers in the niche and talked to them and they are willing to cooperate and produce a custom product.
They now asked me to bring the CAD drawing of the outside design for the product. How would you go about this? I have 0 experience with this stuff.
I know @Vick did the CAD drawing for his awesome product himself and you also do it yourself if I recall correctly. Vick got a background in game design and you got a MBA in engineering if I remember correctly (Sorry if I am wrong!)

How would you go about getting the CAD done with zero experience on this topic?
Are there companies/freelancers I could hire for this at a affordable price?

Thanks!

kutlarvadisi

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 15, 2015
Hi Guys !
First of all I want to thank @biophase for this wonderful thread
I decide to create a toy and sell it on amazon/my store
I really need to design a CAD design for it
can someone a recommend a cad designer please
thanks and sorry for my English ;)

Vectra1

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
510%
Jul 20, 2016
Northwest UK
Hi Guys !
First of all I want to thank @biophase for this wonderful thread
I decide to create a toy and sell it on amazon/my store
I really need to design a CAD design for it
can someone a recommend a cad designer please
thanks and sorry for my English ;)

Hey, I use Fiverr for all my designs and the guy I use does any awesome job.

dave773

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
255%
Dec 29, 2016
australia
hey biophase sorry for this simple question but I was hoping for a clearer understanding about this.

What would you define as a product that is competitive and one that is non-competitive?
If a product comes up with < 5000 results is it non-competitive? or do you base it on a variety of factors such as page results, reviews, prices, quality of products sold and take an estimated guess.

After researching for the past week or so.. I have narrowed down to a niche product that is small, cheap and comes up with about 2500 results so I'm assuming competition is low.. Also the product seems good so I won't have to customise but just test it of the quality. Supplier didn't respond to email though so I will need to call him to find out if I can get this product or not.

Also in your experience.. if I can get the item for lets say.. $4 a unit (not incl shipping or any costs) and sell it for $12-$15.. will their be profit or too hard to say?

Insaint

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Sep 11, 2015
Europe
Also in your experience.. if I can get the item for lets say.. $4 a unit (not incl shipping or any costs) and sell it for $12-$15.. will their be profit or too hard to say?

Find a similar product on Amazon and put the ASIN in this calculator: Fulfillment by Amazon Revenue Calculator - Amazon Seller Central. That will give you a rough idea of the profitability if you know (or estimate) the unit price/shipping costs. Keep in mind that you need some room for advertising, returns, etc.

MidwestLandlord

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
759%
Dec 6, 2016
If it will cost you $2000 to get the custom mold, then you would:
-negotiate price with 3 suppliers
-choose one
-place production order, created mold, pay for mold
-receive 1st production sample
-approve sample, move forward with production

Hey @biophase

I know you covered this above, but I'm confused and my manufacturer and I are having language barrier issues (Taiwan) so they didn't really answer my question.

How do they make a sample before you pay for a product mold?

Generic sample was $45
Custom sample they want $150
Mold if I decide to go ahead with it $900

But how do they make a custom sample without a mold?

Thanks!

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
@biophase or anyone reading that uses facebook ads

If I am selling a single physical product, what page should I send the people who click my facebook ads to?

From what I've seen most ads just link to the homepage.

But wouldn't it make sense to link to a sales page with copy? Or am I missing something here?

I was going to create a page like this:

Certified Face and Eye Cream Promo

and send ads to it, instead of my homepage

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

This profit margin is way too low. If you sell this product on Amazon for $12. You would probably lose money. At $15, you may make $2.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Hey @biophase

I know you covered this above, but I'm confused and my manufacturer and I are having language barrier issues (Taiwan) so they didn't really answer my question.

How do they make a sample before you pay for a product mold?

Generic sample was $45
Custom sample they want $150
Mold if I decide to go ahead with it $900

But how do they make a custom sample without a mold?

Thanks!

Without knowing the product, I'd guess that they hand make one? The custom mold may be needed to run large production quantities.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
@biophase or anyone reading that uses facebook ads

If I am selling a single physical product, what page should I send the people who click my facebook ads to?

From what I've seen most ads just link to the homepage.

But wouldn't it make sense to link to a sales page with copy? Or am I missing something here?

I was going to create a page like this:

Certified Face and Eye Cream Promo

and send ads to it, instead of my homepage

If you have a single product, wouldn't your homepage be the sales page? Why would you have another page for the product?

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
If you have a single product, wouldn't your homepage be the sales page? Why would you have another page for the product?

That makes sense. Its on Shopify. I am also planning to build a brand around it later on. So I also have an about us page,product page, how it works, faq, contact us page.

I just didn't think it would be a good look to have a long copy sales page as my home page.

here is my homepage currently

28l6lqh.jpg

At the top is headlines and product picture at the top, then when you scroll down you see 3 main features/benefits, and some testimonials and the product again at the bottom with BUY NOW button.

I didn't write out all the copy I wanted on this page, I was leaving it for a seperate sales page so it could have that "long copy style".

Would it be okay just to put my copy in the body, and leave the header/featured product at the top like this?

Thanks

AubreyJ

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
229%
Mar 26, 2014
Plano, TX
Hey Biophase, amazing thread. my question is, How much thought do you typically put into packaging for your products?

I just ordered a test order of a product I am wanting to sell, and it's a cheap product, and I think the thing that can set my product apart from the competition is the packaging (one example is they are normally sold individually, I am thinking about selling in pairs or maybe even 3 to a box). But this is a product targeted towards women, and feel as though the product I am selling and the customers I am targeting may care more about the packaging than say a target audience of 50 year old men. What are your thoughts?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.