The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Are you motivated and energized all day long ?

Anything related to matters of the mind

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
Last days I have had problems with motivation. I am developing Internet service business and currently working on the website. But last week has been really lazy week. I'm not energized and motivated at all to work on my project. Every time I open my website to work on it I just can't do it. All I want to do is read, drink green tea and sit in front of TV.
I have now gave some thought on it and I think I should cut back on green tea and coffee. Eat more healthy food and take vitamins regulary. I already meditate and I know I am interested to make my business a success but something holds me back.

What do you think that keeps you motivated and energized all day long ? I am not thinking much about the way you think (money, success, experience) in this thread but more about your rituals or activity that keeps you energized and motivated.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Jul 24, 2007
There are a many books on this topic. Obviously this is a major problem for many people. Perhaps you could search out reviews on some of these publications.

I think it all comes down to discipline.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Last days I have had problems with motivation. I am developing Internet service business and currently working on the website. But last week has been really lazy week. I'm not energized and motivated at all to work on my project. Every time I open my website to work on it I just can't do it. All I want to do is read, drink green tea and sit in front of TV.
I have now gave some thought on it and I think I should cut back on green tea and coffee. Eat more healthy food and take vitamins regulary. I already meditate and I know I am interested to make my business a success but something holds me back.

What do you think that keeps you motivated and energized all day long ? I am not thinking much about the way you think (money, success, experience) in this thread but more about your rituals or activity that keeps you energized and motivated.

Just one answer to that: I do what I want to do, not what others say I should do. That pretty much sums it up.

What kind of rituals I have: I can't say I have any particular rituals I do every single day. I do what I do everyday. And I do what makes me succeed that day. That could mean sleeping the whole day and working the whole night (because I may be more productive that way). Or watch TV the whole day or just enjoy wandering around in nature. Whatever works best I guess:).

You need to find your flow, your rythm. That is a personal and unique process. Look for a feeling of comfort in what you do and you have found the right feeling. Then apply it so that you make money during the time you feel comfortable. Seems very New Age, but you need to feel comfortable with what you do. That's it.

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
SteveO and fanocks Thank You.

I have gone with that flow and it feels great. I do exactly what I feel I should do. But every time when I have done so for a while (If I feel like watching tv i'll watch tv, feel like sleeping without the alarm clock, I'll do that too) I start thinking about discipline like Fanocks said. Much more can be done if I make my flow more disciplined. Anyway, I started taking vitamins and cut back from morning coffe and green tea. Will see how it goes and if it changes any "chemistry" in me. :)

Oh and SteveO, the whole search engine is crowded with diet programs to help you lose weight. I tried to search some more intelligent diet program but it's too crowded with all other junk :fryingpan:

Thanks.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
SteveO and fanocks Thank You.

I have gone with that flow and it feels great. I do exactly what I feel I should do. But every time when I have done so for a while (If I feel like watching tv i'll watch tv, feel like sleeping without the alarm clock, I'll do that too) I start thinking about discipline like Fanocks said. Much more can be done if I make my flow more disciplined. Anyway, I started taking vitamins and cut back from morning coffe and green tea. Will see how it goes and if it changes any "chemistry" in me. :)

Oh and SteveO, the whole search engine is crowded with diet programs to help you lose weight. I tried to search some more intelligent diet program but it's too crowded with all other junk :fryingpan:

Thanks.

Continue drinking green tea by all means. Green tea doesn't give you those tops and bottoms like caffeinated coffee does. Also, scientific studies has shown green tea to have many health benefits. Just quoting science studies:). I drink green tea almost every day. I enjoy the taste and the feeling of alertness it gives me without me getting tired in the end (like with coffee).

Controlling your flow is good. Having flow is all great, but without the dicipline it never gets directed to something of value. In that dicipline of yours, you should delegate tasks you are weak in. That way you focus your work on a high level. A man can't do everything himself without getting unfocused. Also, you can't feel comfort if you always do what you hate doing. That is an oxymoron.

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
Continue drinking green tea by all means. Green tea doesn't give you those tops and bottoms like caffeinated coffee does. Also, scientific studies has shown green tea to have many health benefits. Just quoting science studies:). I drink green tea almost every day. I enjoy the taste and the feeling of alertness it gives me without me getting tired in the end (like with coffee).

Controlling your flow is good. Having flow is all great, but without the dicipline it never gets directed to something of value. In that dicipline of yours, you should delegate tasks you are weak in. That way you focus your work on a high level. A man can't do everything himself without getting unfocused. Also, you can't feel comfort if you always do what you hate doing. That is an oxymoron.

Thanks, Great answer.

I definitely keep drinking green tea but I consider getting caffeine free green tea.

Merkin Man

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Jul 25, 2007
Williamsville, NY
Green tea doesn't give you those tops and bottoms like caffeinated coffee does......I drink green tea almost every day. I enjoy the taste and the feeling of alertness it gives me without me getting tired in the end (like with coffee).

Fanocks, do you really feel energized from drinking green tea? I struggle w/ caffeine (mostly coffee) but I hate getting hit w/ the exhaustion toward the end of my day - or jitters depending on how much I have.

An alternative would be great!!!

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Fanocks, do you really feel energized from drinking green tea? I struggle w/ caffeine (mostly coffee) but I hate getting hit w/ the exhaustion toward the end of my day - or jitters depending on how much I have.

An alternative would be great!!!

The good thing with green tea is that it gives you the energy boost, but it is smoother than caffeinated coffee. I can drink 5-6 big cups of green tea each day and still feel energized. I have no problem with fatigue at the end of the day. I always experience fatigue at the end of the day when drinking caffeinated coffee though. And with my fast metabolism (because I excercise 5 days a week. Fitness) coffee really gives me an energy boost above normal I guess:). So the crash should be above normal too (just an assumption).

But, yes, green tea doesn't give you that big fat energy boost that caffeinated coffee gives you. But it gives you a more natural energy boost. I feel energized, calm and focus when drinking green tea. When drink caffeinated coffee I always get extremely hyped. It's like going on drugs almost:) (have never tried illegal drugs though so what do I know). The right feeling would be: "stressed". My body want to "do-do-do" all the time. That is good when excercising and you need the "go-go", but when doing stuff that requires attention and focus it is not that good with caffeinated coffee:).

But I have found a soultion to even out the effect of caffein. The solution I use (which works very well on me at least) is camomile tea. Camomile is a natural sedative so it is the direct opposite of caffein that works to energize (anti-sedative). It can be good to manipulate ones body for it's own good sometimes:).

cmartin371

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Apr 14, 2008
Nashua, NH
The good thing with green tea is that it gives you the energy boost, but it is smoother than caffeinated coffee. I can drink 5-6 big cups of green tea each day and still feel energized. I have no problem with fatigue at the end of the day. I always experience fatigue at the end of the day when drinking caffeinated coffee though. And with my fast metabolism (because I excercise 5 days a week. Fitness) coffee really gives me an energy boost above normal I guess:). So the crash should be above normal too (just an assumption).

But, yes, green tea doesn't give you that big fat energy boost that caffeinated coffee gives you. But it gives you a more natural energy boost. I feel energized, calm and focus when drinking green tea. When drink caffeinated coffee I always get extremely hyped. It's like going on drugs almost:) (have never tried illegal drugs though so what do I know). The right feeling would be: "stressed". My body want to "do-do-do" all the time. That is good when excercising and you need the "go-go", but when doing stuff that requires attention and focus it is not that good with caffeinated coffee:).

But I have found a soultion to even out the effect of caffein. The solution I use (which works very well on me at least) is camomile tea. Camomile is a natural sedative so it is the direct opposite of caffein that works to energize (anti-sedative). It can be good to manipulate ones body for it's own good sometimes:).

I too drink green tea and balance it out with Camomile tea. I find it helps me stay alert but not in a jittery all in one boost kind of way. I actually become very relaxed! I think daily exercise is a huge factor as well! Like fancocks I work out 5-6 days a week.

Chris

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Last days I have had problems with motivation. I am developing Internet service business and currently working on the website. But last week has been really lazy week. I'm not energized and motivated at all to work on my project. Every time I open my website to work on it I just can't do it.

I go through peaks and valleys with my motivation to finish our site as well. I think the lack of motivation hits when I find myself in completely unchartered waters and I get overwhelmed. As soon as that feeling of overwhelm hits I have a hard time staying focused or energized.

What helps to overcome this is to work on smaller chunks of the parts of the site that are overwhelming at a time and notice your progress.

You may also want to refocus on why you started this site in order to get yourself motivated again.

Last edited:

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
I goes through peaks and valleys with my motivation to finish our site as well. I think the lack of motivation hits when I find myself in completely unchartered waters and I get overwhelmed. As soon as that feeling of overwhelm hits, I have a hard time staying focused or energized.

What helps to overcome this, is to work on smaller chunks of the parts of the site that are overwhelming at a time, and notice your progress.

You may also want to refocus on why you started this site in order to get yourself motivated again.

Yes, I always use motivating techniques I have developed over time and one of them is what you stated very last. But past few week, the motivation I get from thinking doesn't last for long. As soon as I get to doing these things I slowly get unmotivated again. So, I started to think about things that are not related mentally.
This morning (It's now 6 PM here) I took vitamins that were full of B vitamins (As I read B vitamins are those which give instant energy boost) and all other vitamins. And in few hours I really felt difference. That small depression I had from unmotivation was gone and believe it or not I felt much more energised and I could keep my motivation. I was so sure that I need something for my body. So I went much deeper with my research and found out some things about how to keep mind clearer.

I found a list from yahoo answer that I consider "should follow":

- Ginkgo Biloba 60mg per day, with meals, improves memory and concentration, promotes clearer thining.

-Omega 3 - 1000mg-2000mg per day, Nordic Naturals brand, increases IQ. Or consume 3 portions of organic oily fish, like sardines or Salmon per week.

-Kefir, drink 1 pint for breakfast, 1 pint prior to bed, this promotes a healthy gut flora and kills candida. look on Don's Kefir making website for more info, or the yahoo kefir group.

- Since this has lingered for '4-5 months', are there any other symptoms?, like mood swings {away from your period}, anxiety, headaches, if so I reccommend a Histamine blood test, high histamine can cause a blank mind

- Candida Overgrowth can cause a foggy mind and problems with memory and concentration, google this to check for matching symptoms.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
I would also like to put in a big plug for green tea.

I used to drink tons of coffee, but felt like I was on a roller-coaster everyday. A couple of months ago, I quit coffee cold turkey and replaced it with green tea. I still get a boost, but it is smooth and I don't go up and down anymore.

One of those "life changing" decisions...haha.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
Are we talking about energy or motivation here? Doing a cleanse of taking Vitamin B isn't going to give a person motivation. ...Energy maybe, motivation no.

TC2

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 30, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I feel very motivated, because I just saw a huge corporation throwing huge money on the similare idea I am working on.

It means that the market is out there and the corporation is paying attention on it now. So I have great chance to successed.

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
Are we talking about energy or motivation here? Doing a cleanse of taking Vitamin B isn't going to give a person motivation. ...Energy maybe, motivation no.

Energy and Motivation are 2 different things but Motivation can't sustain without being energized. Motivation is what makes you mentally active and you will get desire to do something. Energy keeps you active with that motivation.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden

Energy and motivation are interconnected. Without energy I wouldn't do what I do. Starting projects requires a very healthy does of energy. It requires more energy to start businesses than what it takes to only invest in them. That is not an over statement. I do invest myself and I can't say investing is that much of an energy breaker. No offense:).

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
woa, this conversation took a weird turn!

Unfortunately there is no magic pill, no energy drink will make you get a job. Look at how many teenagers in the U.S. drink redbull after redbull (even the triple doses!) and still sit on their lazy asses!

But there is a magic formula for success here..

Discipline? Nope. Will power? Nope.

Neither one is enough.

Everyone does everything and anything they do for two reasons. To gain pleasure or avoid pain. Obvioulsy you associate more pleasure to watching TV and drinking some special kind of tea and vegging out than to work on your future. If your future is not compelling enough no amount of Ginkgo, Caffine, or other is going to help (and I'm saying this as a nutritionist).

What you need to look at is why is it painful to do the work you supposedly want to do? Take a deep look. What don't you like about it? What are you missing out by doing it? Is that court show THAT important to put your future aside? I doubt it.

So your goal is to associate more pleasure to taking actions towards your goals. And pain to not taking action towards them.

If you finish your internet service business what will it do? Will you get paid? Will you have more free time when it's done? Will you be able to do things and experience life with the extra money it brings in? Will you be able to provide the lifestyle you want for yourself? What cool things can you buy with that money? How would it make you feel if you finished it and made money at it? Would you feel successful if you did?

Now look at what it costs you. Always see this WORSE then it really is. What happens if you don't finish this project? I won't have any money... I will be kicked out of my house because I don't have any money... I won't be able to eat because I won't have any money... I won't ever be able to travel because I'll be tied down to a 9-5 job 80 hours a week.... I won't ever achieve financial freedom... I won't be able to buy my family nice things.. I will be homeless, alone, and starving in the same crumby place...

How is that for a motivational picture?? I know that would sure motivate me to think about that!! That's exactly what I do. I consistantly look at my goals and if I haven't taken action on them I figure out why? Well it's always the same reason. I associate more pleasure to not doing it, and associate more pain to doing it! CHANGE THOSE ASSOCIATIONS!

I am cutting all of this short but I hope you understand how important it is that you take actions towards what you want in life, otherwise you end up exactly where you don't want to be... the same exact place.

If you want a more intensive description I highly recommend picking up a book "Awaken the Giant Within" by Tony Robbins.

If you're too lazy, I'm here to add more ha ha.

djs13

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Oct 3, 2007
NY
I find myself to be a pretty relaxed. I could even be labeled as mellow. But the first time I heard the quote "Action does not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action" everything kind of changed for me. Although I spend a while doing things that could be perceived as pointless, I think the most important thing is to pull the trigger.

I've learned failing isn't as scary as I have believed it to be.

J_PAL

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Sep 21, 2008
woa, this conversation took a weird turn!

Unfortunately there is no magic pill, no energy drink will make you get a job. Look at how many teenagers in the U.S. drink redbull after redbull (even the triple doses!) and still sit on their lazy asses!

But there is a magic formula for success here..

Discipline? Nope. Will power? Nope.

Neither one is enough.

Everyone does everything and anything they do for two reasons. To gain pleasure or avoid pain. Obvioulsy you associate more pleasure to watching TV and drinking some special kind of tea and vegging out than to work on your future. If your future is not compelling enough no amount of Ginkgo, Caffine, or other is going to help (and I'm saying this as a nutritionist).

What you need to look at is why is it painful to do the work you supposedly want to do? Take a deep look. What don't you like about it? What are you missing out by doing it? Is that court show THAT important to put your future aside? I doubt it.

So your goal is to associate more pleasure to taking actions towards your goals. And pain to not taking action towards them.

If you finish your internet service business what will it do? Will you get paid? Will you have more free time when it's done? Will you be able to do things and experience life with the extra money it brings in? Will you be able to provide the lifestyle you want for yourself? What cool things can you buy with that money? How would it make you feel if you finished it and made money at it? Would you feel successful if you did?

Now look at what it costs you. Always see this WORSE then it really is. What happens if you don't finish this project? I won't have any money... I will be kicked out of my house because I don't have any money... I won't be able to eat because I won't have any money... I won't ever be able to travel because I'll be tied down to a 9-5 job 80 hours a week.... I won't ever achieve financial freedom... I won't be able to buy my family nice things.. I will be homeless, alone, and starving in the same crumby place...

How is that for a motivational picture?? I know that would sure motivate me to think about that!! That's exactly what I do. I consistantly look at my goals and if I haven't taken action on them I figure out why? Well it's always the same reason. I associate more pleasure to not doing it, and associate more pain to doing it! CHANGE THOSE ASSOCIATIONS!

I am cutting all of this short but I hope you understand how important it is that you take actions towards what you want in life, otherwise you end up exactly where you don't want to be... the same exact place.

If you want a more intensive description I highly recommend picking up a book "Awaken the Giant Within" by Tony Robbins.

If you're too lazy, I'm here to add more ha ha.

Thank you, I'll definitely check out the book.

I am with you and there is no magic formula. Only you can motivate yourself in your own way. Those teenagers are are still lost and think about the safe job they will get after finishing school. If they already knew their passion or path they should follow then most of them would be busy getting pleasure from what they do.

I love your questions. Those "what if" questions can really give you an extra push and makes me feel that only thing I should do is to make it a success! But I always have Plan B to keep the game on. But this plan B is an "imaginary" one and won't be there with me until something really goes wrong. Otherwise it can make doubt in you plan A.

I hope you understand how important it is that you take actions towards what you want in life
I had motivation but I couldn't get any energy out of me to start using that motivation. Yes you can PUSH yourself in this situation but what comes out of it ? Unproductive work. Sometimes if you push yourself hard enough but don't like to do it then you don't care how you do it. You just want it to be done. But I love doing things with enthusiasm when everything goes just like I planned. And I was missing it. I was missing the thing that made me enthusiastic. And as weird it can be it was vitamins. I ate also 3 eggs (I read it's also full of B-s) and took multivitamins full of Vitamin B. After that. Small depression I had was gone and my missed enthusiasm was back. It still seems weird that the only thing I needed were vitamins. :groove:

There are a lot of other things that can be done to improve brain activity and give energy but sometimes people care only about one thing, their mind, and won't take care about their body and soul. (Mind, sould and body. Three things and none of them works properly if all three aren't balanced. I took it from Hill's or Wattles book and it is so true.)

OK, I feel like a flower girl now.

But anyway :eek:fftopic: As I stated in the first post that it should be about rituals or activity. There are already so many topics and books about motivation and how to think in the right way. I love N. Hill book "Law of Success in 16 lessons" and "The Science of Getting rich" by D. Wattles. These are books every person can learn from.

I knew how to think and motivate but I also knew that there was something missing and that was not how I think and motivate myself.

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Many people forget or seem to ignore the fact that in order to have B then A most function first. Energy first, motivation thereafter etc.

The same as with proving your commercial concept comes after you have proven your product/service. And that proving your management team comes after you have proven your commercial concept etc.

Everything hangs together in chains. Motivation comes naturally when you have the energy part together. And the energy part always comes from mental and physical fitness.

People with low motivation should not wonder why they have low motivation or think of ways to work harder to get more motivated (which seems to be a strange mantra these days). They should ask themselfs better questions like: Am I tired? Should I rest for 10 minutes to get fresher mentally? Or should I do 30 minutes of push ups or walk around the neighborhood and get some fresh air? Or should I just enjoy a couple of hours with my family, friends or with my favourite TV show? Why not eat some of my favourite ice cream?

It is not forbidden to enjoy life in the process of making money. It is mandatory to remain sane. Energy activities begets motivation. Motivation begets results. And results begets fun memories. Cycle repeats.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Well from a nutrional stand point you need to look at the balance in your body. Most of us feed ourselves with a ton of CRAP.

McDonalds, Burger King, etc. are the obvious ones. But the ones that aren't so obvious is the excess stuff we do such as too much fruit or too much carbs, or too much protein, or too much fat! (you're asking what's left to eat, right?)

Well here is the trick: To keep your body balanced and be full of energy ALL the time and be healthy ALL the time you need to keep two things in line

1. Your body temperature should be 98.6 degrees.

Now this will vary from person to person but look at it, if you are too cold you have a COLD if you are too hot you have a FEVER! You're not healthy either way! Duh, right?

But number two is the one that people overlook, or don't even know about.

2. Your PH levels

Sounds silly but you need to balance this as well. I forget the actual number but it is somewhere around 7.35 or 7.36 . The point being if you have too much acid in your body you don't feel well. You can either get sick or you LACK ENERGY it's because your PH isn't balanced.

Vitamins don't usually get absorbed, most stuff you eat has acid in it, the way you balance it out is to try and eat less of the crap and add more alkaline to your diet. (not too much though!)

BALANCE is the key!

fanocks2003

Banned
Mar 31, 2008
Sweden
Well from a nutrional stand point you need to look at the balance in your body. Most of us feed ourselves with a ton of CRAP.

McDonalds, Burger King, etc. are the obvious ones. But the ones that aren't so obvious is the excess stuff we do such as too much fruit or too much carbs, or too much protein, or too much fat! (you're asking what's left to eat, right?)

Well here is the trick: To keep your body balanced and be full of energy ALL the time and be healthy ALL the time you need to keep two things in line

1. Your body temperature should be 98.6 degrees.

Now this will vary from person to person but look at it, if you are too cold you have a COLD if you are too hot you have a FEVER! You're not healthy either way! Duh, right?

But number two is the one that people overlook, or don't even know about.

2. Your PH levels

Sounds silly but you need to balance this as well. I forget the actual number but it is somewhere around 7.35 or 7.36 . The point being if you have too much acid in your body you don't feel well. You can either get sick or you LACK ENERGY it's because your PH isn't balanced.

Vitamins don't usually get absorbed, most stuff you eat has acid in it, the way you balance it out is to try and eat less of the crap and add more alkaline to your diet. (not too much though!)

BALANCE is the key!

Interesting. I think I will get more inclined with the PH balance thing. Sounds interesting. I did study PH levels (basics) in gymnasium (due to me studying biology there), but you never can have to much detailed knowledge about interesting studies:).

Keep up this kind of information. I adore it:).

sulli

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jul 26, 2007
This is a great thread! (I know it's old). Motivation to get moving is something I think we all deal with. I know I sure have these problems. It can be a big road block. Here are two things that have helped me:

1) I find that if I lack motivation, because of a given task, it's best to just outsource the work. That way I can move on to the next thing.

If you don't have money to outsource your work, then you should be motivated to do the work so that you can increase your income and outsource that task in the future.

2) Find a workspace away from home. Go to a library or somewhere else. I recently rented an office in a co-op professional center. Working from home is everyone's dream, but your home has a ton of distractions. It's good to be in a designated "work" environment.

FDJustin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Apr 30, 2010
Canada
For me there are three issues.
  1. Discipline
  2. Variable Time
  3. Writers Block

The first one is a simple personality issue that I'm slowly working on. Right now I have a work-journal that I keep every day, which I've been using since just before the start of this month. There are two or three days in it that say 'Didn't do anything today, blah blah blah.' but most of them I've been making myself accomplish at least one thing to put in there.

I've tried to use this in the past without success. This time it's working much better... The one reason I can recognize for this working better this time, is having a less structured log. I treat it kind of like a journal, where I place down thoughts and notes of what needs to be done, what I have done, and what I feel I could have done better for the day. Before I was using time-blocks and trying to keep them neat, organized, and filled.

That brings me nicely into the next thing. I can't work well with set times. I'm sure it's a flaw, but I have extreme trouble with working say 'From 12 - 4 AM.' and sticking to that as a schedule.
Distractions are only half the issue. The other half is having a shifting time of focus- the kind of focus my mind uses to be work-capable.

Alright, as for the last thing... Sometimes I just have a very hard time getting started. I sit down, look at what I'm to do, and even if I have a very clearly defined goal... I just draw a blank. Getting started often doesn't come easy, even if I know exactly what I have to do.
The good part is though, once I get started I can usually drain the world out for 1 - 5 hours and focus intensely on what I'm doing.. Or usually about half that if I have to keep switching my attention to different tasks, people, or whatever.

Something I learned that helps me with the writers block about 50% of the time is to just write, doodle, speak what you're thinking out-loud... Things like that. Even if it's garbage and not part of your work, it often times helps your mind accept that it's going to work your thoughts together with the action of, uhm. Working.

As for motivation itself... I kind of do something similar to Steve's suggestion of thinking of the negatives of not doing it, but from a different angle. I look at the negative things already present that can be changed and make plans to change them with the success I'm moving towards.

mlsalters77

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Jun 2, 2010
Lawrencville Ga, currently in Afghanistan

I find that a good work out sets the pace for me to have a focused and high energy day. I know everyone isn't into the gym and lifting weights but a good physical routine not only keeps you healthy it seems to set the momentum for the rest of the day. does any one else here have some type of regimen? If so, how does it effect your daily motivation?

buckwild

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 25, 2010
DC area
I'm naturally wired all day even without caffeine. A great way to boost productivity is to follow your circadian rhythm. an easy way to do this is to follow the Pomodoro technique a neat little software that I use is called focus booster Google it

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.