The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

What would you do all day?!

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
This is inspired by LagunaLauren's "Bucket List" thread, but with a different spin. Once you make it to point where you no longer have to work and every hour of every day belongs to you, what would you do?

I originally started thinking about this last year in regards to retirement, though now I've decided I'll be retiring much sooner :smug2:. I've known of retirees who went stir crazy and had to go back to work or find some volunteer work because they got bored. I wondered if this would be the case for me, but I got my answer when my wife and I decided to take a "staycation" for our anniversary last fall, and just spend the week with each other relaxing. I found that I have no trouble finding ways to keep myself busy without going to work! So here's what I'd do:

In essence, I'd basically be living every day like I live on Saturdays now. I tend to wake up naturally between 9 and 10, so that's when I'd be waking, no more alarm clocks! I'd spend the first hour or so of the day snuggling in bed with the wife and having breakfast.

After getting up and checking the news and things on the computer, I'd head to my home gym. Right now I'm in and out of the gym in about 30 minutes since I go after work and by that time of the day I'm already burned out. I'd definitely spend more time in the gym, especially since it'd be my own and I'd have all the equipment I want.

After my workout I'd have lunch on the patio with my wife, and play with the dogs for a while. I love my pets, and their lives are short enough already, so I'd definitely spend more time with them than I can now.

After that I'd probably go and take a quick power nap for half an hour, around 3 or 4 PM. In the afternoon I'd work on something I enjoy, maybe tinker with a muscle car I'd be restoring or read for a while. I'd really like to volunteer at an animal shelter a few times a week, too.

In the evening I'd cook dinner. I know a lot of people say that with more money they'd eat out more or hire a chef. I actually love preparing a complicated meal, but I usually don't have the time or energy to devote two or three hours to it, so if I had the time, I'd definitely do it way more often. After dinner I'd watch a movie or play a video game, or maybe go for a hike if the weather is nice. Right before dusk is my favorite time for a hike, it's starting to cool off and you tend to see a lot more wildlife.

I'd spend the last hour or two of the day relaxing and winding down. This is another one I don't get to do now, my evenings usually involve speeding along making dinner, cleaning up the house, and working on my web project before I go drop into bed. I'd love having the time to ease into it more, maybe put on some relaxing music, have some tea. Then I'd finish the day off watching Conan or Family Guy in bed and falling asleep.

How about you? How would you spend a typical day, or if you've already realized this dream, how DO you spend a typical day?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
If you have hobbies, I don't see how you would get bored. Also, if you have enough cash you could travel around the world for most of the year, and party.

wallstreet

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 17, 2010
I did it for 6 months when I paid all my bills 6 months in advance. It was AWESOME and I honestly can't wait to retire. That's when life really begins IMHO.

Rickson9

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Sep 4, 2010
Canada
I play video games, work out, and study jjiu jitsu.

I travel, but that's because of my wife.

Best regards.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would get up in the morning, get the dog, hook up the boat and head down to the bay. Id stop and get a breakfast burrito with all kinds of good veggies, some gatorade and a livewell full of live shrimp. I would get there about 9 and I would fish until 2-3 and head home to be with the girlfriend... maybe wife by then. Then I would take her out to dinner.

If things dont work out I guess I will be hitting the bar. And the drive to the bay would be more like a walk to my lift. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Race boats, race bikes, relax, sail, travel and learn new things. After a couple of years of that I'd start another venture from the opportunities I spotted while doing the former, sell and do the former again. If having the energy and resources try to do my bit to bring forth a world I'd like to live in.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
I would do what I am doing now, work with kids. But I would also set up a group to build homes, schools, and hospitals in developing countries. It would be a way to see the world and help others at the same time.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I would travel as much as possible. I want to see the world and that is my main motivation to become wealthy. I would also like to learn new languages, take MMA classes, learn to play guitar and any other thing that might interest me when the time comes.

I would also like to have a house on the beach and wake up everyday with my future wife to a nice cup of coffee and the sound of the ocean.

No matter what I'll find things to keep me busy and I don't think I'll ever get bored.

I might also try a few business ideas I have just to see how far I can go with them. I love a challenge so I don't know if I'll ever actually quit working. I feel like I would still like to be a part of some sort of business but who knows, I might change my mind once I'm there!

rexxkai

Lazy Noob
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Apr 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you have hobbies, I don't see how you would get bored. Also, if you have enough cash you could travel around the world for most of the year, and party.

this is what im gonna do!! travel, party, spend time with friends, learn new languages and search for my soulmate~

ice

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 27, 2011
Chicago suburb
Besides traveling.....

My perfect day at my home would include....

Fridge stocked with food (cooking once a week for the whole week & also meals prepared by restaurants that I just stocked up on... like Indian food... yum!)

Choose a couple of the following hobbies!

* running with my doggies
* yoga
* belly dance
* roller skating
* ballet
* guitar
* learning chinese
* reading non-fiction books

Then believe it or not, but my dream retired life actually involves running a business... not a serious business, but like a hobby business for 10 to 20 hours a week.

My current Millionaire Fastlane business idea is in the food industry, but if I could retire from that I would build a fashion business and work with overseas suppliers (like China). That's just for fun and also to provide some meaning/value to my life besides just indulging in hobbies all day long.

I wouldn't volunteer every day, but I'm a night owl, so I could see myself volunteering for a suicide hotline on the night shift occassionally.

That's my perfect life.... :)

kahem89

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
10%
Jul 20, 2011
Norway, Oslo
I would

* Hire a housmaid whoo :p
* Travel
* Party
* Exercise, Eat Healthy, Learn MMA
* F*ck around, and if i meet somone cool i might keep here who knows.
* Still do business, and investing, Just less
* Dipending on the amount of money i got i might hire a cook
* Take helicopter lessons, and a buy a helicopter. Side note, i dont fancy exclusive cars so this is where my money goes :p I will prolly just drive a below avrage car.

AcquireCurrency

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 20, 2011
Morning
Go for a jog along the beach and watch the sunrise
Have a full-english breakfast
Go to the gym

Daytime
Manage portfolio of investments
Run a small business that I can pursue in my sparetime
Sun bathe

Evening
Invite friends over have a BBQ
Chill in the hot tub OR pool outside
Go for car cruises with fellow exotic car club members! (Lambos, Ferraris ....)

Night
Read books
Watch TV
Play video games

OR

Fall asleep in the hot tub

OR

Hit up the Las Vegas strip

Hopefully I will be living in the US!

That would be an awesome life!

murlin99

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 26, 2011
Currently I get up at 5:30am I take a shower and all the normal stuff getting ready to go to work. Sometimes I go for a walk around the neighborhood but more of than not I don't. Sometimes I eat breakfast but same as walking more often than not I don't. I leave home about 7am and get to my daily grind job around 7:30am. Work until 1pm when I take my hour long lunch break where I read news and do updates to my web sites, a lot of work there since I just recently put them online. When they are ready for viewing I will throw the links up here in a progress thread. Go back to work around 2pm work the grind until 5pm when I head home. Get home about 5:30pm, eat dinner discuss the daily home happenings with my wife. Watch a bit of the local news on TV work on the websites some more, research more business ideas until about 10pm when I am ready for bed again. Repeat 5 days per week, spend all weekend researching and working on my websites. Oh yeah and every other week I am attached to my cell phone because I am in a 2 person System Admin oncall rotation. *sigh*
---
What I would do if I was where I wanted to be.
Wake up about 6am every day, have a light breakfast, exercise and take a peaceful walk, paths through the woods are nice, returning home about 7am. Set aside the next three hours to take care of websites and business work, answering email's making phone calls and such. Spend the next three hours researching new business ideas, updates and improvements to my current business. Of course all of my research and updating and such would be while sitting on my deck with a nice 17" laptop when weather permits. When about 1pm rolls along have a nice lunch with my wife, either at home or out somewhere returning when I feel like it. Upon returning home check the business mail and taking care of other business items for a couple hours if nothing is pressing research more idea's and improvements. Break for the day about 4pm or 5pm, go for another walk come home have a nice dinner with my wife, go for a ride in the convertible of whatever type we have purchased, maybe not every day but when its nice and we feel like it, otherwise sit on the deck and relax discussing new ideas and any thing she may have come up with during the day. Maybe watch a movie together, again not every night but have the ability to do it whenever I want. Go to bed and wake up the next morning to enjoy my happiness all over again.

At least at this point in my life in which I will be 36 years old next week that is a good summary of how I would like to spend my days.

HenkHolland

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 7, 2007
I would spend at least two hours per day on sports (like cycling and tennis). Once a week I would play 9 holes of golf (for me golf is not a sport since it does not involve enough physical activity, at least not for me).

I would start taking piano lessons.

Me and my wife would travel abroad at least one week every two months. Apart from that, we'd probably spend the months of January and February in a warmer place than the Netherlands. Probably the south of Spain.

I would become an angel investor in a few nice start-ups and spend one day a week coaching the entrepeneurs and maybe even 'getting my own hands dirty' in helping them out with their tasks to manage the start-up. I would only get involved on the operational level at their request. Othewise it will be hands-off.

Reading books is something that I will continue to do. However, the focus will likely shift from business oriented books to modern literature and historic novels.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
Out of all the posts in this thread, Rickson9's lifestyle is the one that resonates the most with me :)
I'm a fairly simple person, there aren't many material things I need to be happy.

yveskleinsky

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
Jul 26, 2007
I would get up in the morning, get the dog, hook up the boat and head down to the bay. Id stop and get a breakfast burrito with all kinds of good veggies, some gatorade and a livewell full of live shrimp. I would get there about 9 and I would fish until 2-3 and head home to be with the girlfriend... maybe wife by then. Then I would take her out to dinner.

If things dont work out I guess I will be hitting the bar. And the drive to the bay would be more like a walk to my lift. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Spending the day with my dog, eating a breakfast burrito, hanging out on a boat all day--and then being taken out for a nice dinner? Sounds like my perfect date/day. Just sayin'. :)

SKM430

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jan 22, 2010
get in ridiculously good shape, eat exceptionally well and travel the world almost indefinitely.

D

DeletedUser2

I took 3 yrs off after selling a business.

my day revolved around my new daughter, working on projects around the house, and going to coffee houses and writing.

after you get the urge to spend lots of money out of your system, and you realize the toys you bought are only good for a while, before you tire of them, you find out that its better to just do what you want to do.

I found helping other entrepreneurs is what drives me the most. that an playing with my daughter.

DrummerDad

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
26%
Apr 8, 2011
I have lots of things I would like to do. Id build an ultrlight airplane, and mosquito helicopter. Get some lessons so I dont kill myself, and then go flying over the beautiful TN landscape. I like scale modeling, but had to put all my stuff away because the kids thought they were toys. So I would start that again. Id have some cars and bikes, so I could go on a ride/drive through the TN mountains. And read some books. Ive got a few, but I would love to have alot more.

There are plenty of things I would like to do with my time. I just need more of it to be mine, and not my employers.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.