The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Anybody else go through a little bit of a rage phase after learning the truth about most 9-5's?

Share your FTE moment...

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
I'm generally a very happy go lucky person. The glass is always half full. When I would work my jobs in the summer or throughout school during the year I was always pretty happy. After all, I didn't know any better. But after I started reading this book I became really upset. I felt like I was lied to my whole life. Suckered into believing I should be ok with a "just over broke". Luckily, I'm not in a regular job anymore...but in hindsight I definitely became upset for a short while during my time through the book. Can anyone else relate?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
Who told you to be broke?

Dan

D

Deleted50669

I'm generally a very happy go lucky person. The glass is always half full. When I would work my jobs in the summer or throughout school during the year I was always pretty happy. After all, I didn't know any better. But after I started reading this book I became really upset. I felt like I was lied to my whole life. Suckered into believing I should be ok with a "just over broke". Luckily, I'm not in a regular job anymore...but in hindsight I definitely became upset for a short while during my time through the book. Can anyone else relate?
That's called cognitive dissonance, and most people feel it when they have a curtain pulled back on their preexisting beliefs.

ProcessPro

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Apr 26, 2018
That's called cognitive dissonance, and most people feel it when they have a curtain pulled back on their preexisting beliefs.
And when they realize they're in a cult. Happened to my wife.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
And that's just the tip of an iceberg.

NT2

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Jul 21, 2020
Texas
I understand what you mean. However, for me, it was just a slow nodding, a dawn of realization about why I've never really been happy in any job. I would always work hard and get promoted, etc., but so much of the whole thing seemed silly and pointless to me. I just figured there was something wrong with me, or I just hadn't found the "right" job yet. I had been interested in entrepreneurship for most of my adult life, but I could never figure out how people did it. It seemed like you needed a ton of money, someone willing to give you a bank loan, rich relatives, etc.

But once I started reading more widely, slowly the correlation between the school-mindset and the employee-mindset made sense. I was always good at school, but when I became a senior in high school, I really started to hate it. Again, I thought the problem was me. When I get to college, I told myself, I'll be fine. But my last year of college was like having my eyelashes plucked out. I did well, got good grades, but I couldn't figure out why I was so bored and frustrated. I cut class as much as I could get away with and still do well.

Now, I see that the power base will always, naturally, want a complicit, ignorant, docile herd of people to do its bidding. Giving the people just enough money to be able to eat and come to work, stamping out individuality, encouraging us to buy things we can't afford, feeding us instant, mindless entertainment to discourage us from thinking and planning, is effective. And the worse thing is: no one is forcing any of this. If someone were forcing this on us, we would get angry and rebel. But because it's simply the path of least resistance that's constantly shoved in our face and fed with fear and social pressure, we choose it for ourselves.

Reading Unscripted and Fastlane was the final piece in the puzzle. It explained why I had been listening to Dave Ramsey, Suze Orman, Robert Kiyosaki forever and still didn't seem to be getting anywhere. The financial gurus are the final barrier for those who decide to escape the status quo. Hope is dangled before us, and it takes years to figure out that it doesn't work. If anything, you might end up getting two or three jobs if you listen to Dave long enough. All the while, these folks are uber wealthy because of their businesses, not because they are debt free, and not because they have 401k's.

I still don't have all the answers, of course, but at least now I know what the right answer will look like, and why.

Paul Schuyler

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Aug 7, 2016
The Woodlands, TX
Many folks take a job for perceived job security. What they don't tell you, is that an employee is the most expendable asset. What really shifted for me is the realization that you're exposed (as an employee) to the fundamental aspects of the business just like the owner is. The security is an illusion in many businesses.

Kal-El1998

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
77%
Nov 25, 2020
Many folks take a job for perceived job security. What they don't tell you, is that an employee is the most expendable asset. What really shifted for me is the realization that you're exposed (as an employee) to the fundamental aspects of the business just like the owner is. The security is an illusion in many businesses.
I couldn't agree more. Preach it brother! When I try to explain this concept to people, they look at me like I'm the crazy one.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Singapore
Not at all.

It is not like businessmen are hiding their secrets that to make fortunes you have to run a business..

Entrepreneurship today is very socially accepted as “sexy” or “fashionable”. I think we are living in an era when business people are given the most respect and recognition.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
they encourage you to take a job for pay way less than you're worth.
I like to think the market pays what I deserve. It’s not just about being valuable or adding lots of value. We also have to get paid. If we’re not paid what we feel we’re worth then it’s on is to do something about it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.