The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Idea threads

millimike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 27, 2022
TL;DR

> saw a problem with woke hollywood
> solved it (5+ years of gradual work)
> having trouble marketing my solution

I am a White Male and my solution is politically incorrect. So it's hard to get funding and also this venture was 50% altruism so the viability for an angel investor to make their money back is low unless I can get a huge community. But getting a huge community without funding is tough. The good news is this has a very high barrier to entry so I think it will pay off big in the long run.

Any tips? A friend got a loan for his house by just checking local banks and I thought of doing the same. Should I just K.I.S.S. and DCA ads through normal means (reddit/instagram/twitter) and adapt if they get banned? So far I am just marketing through niche blogs that are sympathetic to my cause.

Quick rundown of my site:

ZR-QRD.gif

We have rebranded to be normie friendly, and we accept everyone. (LGBTQ, leftwing, POC, etc.)
But we still have these woke and lgbt warnings for kids shows because that's kinda' the main thing that sets us apart from our competitors:

ZR_QRD_elemental.png
But if I keep that, it means I'm stuck with grassroots DIY marketing/funding.

Think I could still find funding/support in the current climate?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm out of my element here, but I'm going to chime in anyway.

I think part of the problem is you are marketing it as anti-woke. This sounds angry. And that tone likely alienates the people who are most likely to use this service.

Moms. Families.

Instead of anti-woke, I wonder if you sought funding for a pro family movie review website if you might make some progress.

Last edited:

stackbd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Jun 29, 2023
Exactly agree with above post. Focus on the positives rather than what it is against. What problem does it solve, who does it benefit, how does it benefit them, what are the long term implications, how is it monetisable. The Sequioa deck template goes through this - Sequoia Capital Pitch Deck Template - you need to find the right audience as well, with the messaging that focuses on the benefits.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
I'm not sure marketing is your problem. How do you plan on monetising this?

millimike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 27, 2022
RE: Monetization:
Google ads / Amazon Affiliate / Freemium Membership model / Patreon / SubscribeStar / SuperChats

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.14.13 PM.png
^ ( Still brainstorming features to incentivize interaction and/or paying. Will gamify it like DuoLingo, give badges. )

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.15.48 PM.png
^ ( Amazon Affiliate merchandise embedded here and pop up before clicking a """free""" link. )

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.15.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.16.05 PM.png
( Google Analytics shows most users lurk and use the search filters. So adding banner ads at the bottom & top of every search page on desktop would be worthwhile. And replacing a poster with a rectangle ad on mobile is the plan. And for users who use adblockers we would have a polite crypto donation request behind the ad divs. )

It may be cliché 'round these parts but the Kevin Kelly 1,000 true fans strategy means all we need is 1,000 Patreon subscribers to make this venture profitable. There are also other trailblazers with controversial businesses that have become millionaires from SuperChat donations alone.

millimike

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Dec 27, 2022
RE: Be more "pro" than "anti" / family friendly marketing

I agree in the long run. It's why we have more "pro" than "anti" in the FAQ. And we describe our vision for the future.

FAQ

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.26.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.27.17 PM.png

But comparative marketing is powerful & society is getting more tribal. If "anti-woke" doesn't immediately click when you read it, then as Seth Godin recommends in "Tribes" my response should be, "That's okay, it's not for you." There is an entire economy based around hating post 2010 Hollywood. These guys make good money. (E.g. The Quartering, Nerdrotic, Salty Cracker, etc.) Search "woke Hollywood" and look at the millions of subscribers and thousands of comments. There is definitely a market.

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.41.00 PM.png

But I admit, this venture was 50% altruistic. I just want to break even and now I've learned a lot in the process and can move on to an apolitical, uncontroversial business.

Also, my apologies on misleading you guys by hiding behind the children.
giphy.gif

Although that is one of its best features, it's not the central focus. Politically incorrect anonymous / decentralized global reviews you can trust, and filters to find good sh*t is the main point of the site. That's what we offer. I guess it just sounds better to emphasize the children instead of explaining that the Average Joe is also sick of this because it sounds too harsh... (Even if it's true.)

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.38.09 PM.png

Eventually we will shift from anti-woke to "reviews you can trust." But that doesn't have the same bite to it. That sounds like something any generic review site would claim. This is definitely a hole in the market we are filling, but it takes cajones and accepting a niche market at first.

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 3.31.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.47.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.47.24 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.47.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.47.33 PM.png

And on and on and on...

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
It's why we have more "pro" than "anti" in the FAQ. And we describe our vision for the future.

FAQ

Screen Shot 2023-07-02 at 2.26.10 PM.png

Yes, but you still lead with ANTI. Putting it first shows your values. You had to draw a red arrow to get me to see how positive and faith based you are? Come on, you're fooling yourself, you ain't fooling me.

Alt-right, anti-woke, can it work?

Sure.

But you are already softening your stance on it, which is something alt right folks definitely don't want to see.

You're already selling out broski.

But we still have these woke and lgbt warnings for kids shows because that's kinda' the main thing that sets us apart from our competitors:

And that's apparently your only differentiator.

So you're trying to have your cake and eat it too. You hate corporate America but you want advertising dollars. Softening the stance on alt right to go more towards the middle.

You're lukewarm. You're vanilla.

Pick a lane and stand tall in it.

I personally think the anti woke movement will lose steam and morph into some other outrage, just like the tea party did. You're building on a fad right now. Family first is something that has staying power. Just my opinion.

Lastly, if alt right is your schtick, why are you on Youtube bro? Shouldn't these be Rumble videos? If you're going to go all in, go all in.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
TL;DR

> saw a problem with woke hollywood
> solved it (5+ years of gradual work)
> having trouble marketing my solution

I am a White Male and my solution is politically incorrect. So it's hard to get funding and also this venture was 50% altruism so the viability for an angel investor to make their money back is low unless I can get a huge community. But getting a huge community without funding is tough. The good news is this has a very high barrier to entry so I think it will pay off big in the long run.

Any tips? A friend got a loan for his house by just checking local banks and I thought of doing the same. Should I just K.I.S.S. and DCA ads through normal means (reddit/instagram/twitter) and adapt if they get banned? So far I am just marketing through niche blogs that are sympathetic to my cause.

Quick rundown of my site:

View attachment 49766

We have rebranded to be normie friendly, and we accept everyone. (LGBTQ, leftwing, POC, etc.)

View attachment 49765
But if I keep that, it means I'm stuck with grassroots DIY marketing/funding.

Think I could still find funding/support in the current climate?
The enemy of “wokism” is competition.

Just like in the past the cure for radical unionism in the west is to ship jobs oversea.

Today’s wokism is more like intraclass/gender psyops rather than inter class/gender conflict.

Dumbing down the education (with political fad or not) is to sabotage other children’s chance for a good education while their own children are safeguarded in expensive private school.

If a man ask his buddies for divorce advice his buddies will ask him to think carefully. If a girl ask her girlfriends for the same
question the girlfriends are more likely to ask her to dump the man immediately. The more “radical” form of feminism is not to hate men but for some women to cripple other women’s ability to compete for men.

I don’t see much critique of radical progressivism coming from this angle.

Last edited:

Happyheart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Dec 11, 2020
I'm out of my element here, but I'm going to chime in anyway.

I think part of the problem is you are marketing it as anti-woke. This sounds angry. And that tone likely alienates the people who are most likely to use this service.

Moms. Families.

Instead of anti-woke, I wonder if you sought funding for a pro family movie review website if you might make some progress.
I totally agree with this. There is a huge market of people who don‘t want to see material with a political agenda. You could use conservative / wholesome / fun without the political sting / family friendly / Classic Family values/ …

Your target group should be larger than you think. Parents don‘t have the time and there are too many books and media that have an Agenda.

MaxT

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Oct 22, 2020
France
I've get the url of your website from your youtube channel because I can't find it on Google, that's normal ? (I'm from France).
As a cinema lover, it's an original project ! You've a large database of movies and video games, why not add books soon ? And comics etc...
What's your ideas for get your first users/visitors and promote your website ?
How will you convice a free user to go to premium users ?
Good luck in your project.

GoingToSleep

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Jun 3, 2023
RE: Be more "pro" than "anti" / family friendly marketing

I agree in the long run. It's why we have more "pro" than "anti" in the FAQ. And we describe our vision for the future.

FAQ

View attachment 49842
View attachment 49843

But comparative marketing is powerful & society is getting more tribal. If "anti-woke" doesn't immediately click when you read it, then as Seth Godin recommends in "Tribes" my response should be, "That's okay, it's not for you." There is an entire economy based around hating post 2010 Hollywood. These guys make good money. (E.g. The Quartering, Nerdrotic, Salty Cracker, etc.) Search "woke Hollywood" and look at the millions of subscribers and thousands of comments. There is definitely a market.

View attachment 49848

But I admit, this venture was 50% altruistic. I just want to break even and now I've learned a lot in the process and can move on to an apolitical, uncontroversial business.

Also, my apologies on misleading you guys by hiding behind the children.
giphy.gif

Although that is one of its best features, it's not the central focus. Politically incorrect anonymous / decentralized global reviews you can trust, and filters to find good sh*t is the main point of the site. That's what we offer. I guess it just sounds better to emphasize the children instead of explaining that the Average Joe is also sick of this because it sounds too harsh... (Even if it's true.)

View attachment 49849

Eventually we will shift from anti-woke to "reviews you can trust." But that doesn't have the same bite to it. That sounds like something any generic review site would claim. This is definitely a hole in the market we are filling, but it takes cajones and accepting a niche market at first.

View attachment 49850
View attachment 49851
View attachment 49852
View attachment 49853
View attachment 49854

And on and on and on...
I didn't read it all however, I would recommend having more pros to show that it is a much better option for people to use.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
I was a big fan of this thread and the title and stuff like these:

I am a White Male and my solution is politically incorrect.

:love:

But then I came across this:

:zzz:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Yes, but you still lead with ANTI. Putting it first shows your values. You had to draw a red arrow to get me to see how positive and faith based you are? Come on, you're fooling yourself, you ain't fooling me.
This is what the zombie alt right neeeeews consoooooomers are demanding.

Flip on Newsmax for 20 minutes and tell me they don’t want specifically “anti-woke” messaging.

They’re not FOR anything, like small government or economic freedom. They’re just anti stuff.

I think he’s spot on if he wants to serve the Newsmax market.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
This is what the zombie alt right neeeeews consoooooomers are demanding.

Flip on Newsmax for 20 minutes and tell me they don’t want specifically “anti-woke” messaging.

They’re not FOR anything, like small government or economic freedom. They’re just anti stuff.

I think he’s spot on if he wants to serve the Newsmax market.

Okay...

Dude has been attempting to serve that market and is here because he has trouble growing.

And as I said, that market doesn't like wishy washy, and he's already softening his stances. Uh oh.

Since he is here, either this audience doesn't like his offering, or he sucks at communicating a value proposition or holding attention for repeat visitors.

Either way, I say PIVOT.

Besides, show me the success story of a "newsmax audience" company that stood the test of time. Anything happening with Drudge? My pillow guy is done. I thought Black Rifle Coffee might have staying power, but this darling of the right's stock price has tanked.

They all appear to be flash in the pans. Even Newsmax itself, if stock price is any indication. They had a spike after Tucker left Fox and now their nightly viewership is back to just above 2022 levels.

Pro woke, anti woke, it doesn't appear to be good business. Maybe history proves me wrong in the future.

But historically, pro family has always been a message that works.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.