The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Another reason to get on the Fastlane

Anything related to matters of the mind

Ska2free

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Jun 15, 2011
CA
New to the Forum, but have noticed that folks seem to be prioritizing lifestyle and glamor as primary motivators to get on the Fastlane...hot cars, dating models, big houses, etc... No problem with that at all, go for it, but wanted to throw this out there as well for consideration.

A huge benefit to the Fastlane is having freedom over your time...on the Slowlane, you may only be given a week of vacation, maybe 3 weeks per year if you've worked your a$$ off moving up in the company. But if you want kids someday, guess what...they are not only expensive, but the thing they want most is to spend time with you. Way more than nights/weekends and a few paltry vacation days.

You may be young now, may think you never want kids or can't envision it. I was that way too, but you meet the right person, you mature, etc, and you may change your mind.

Being on the Fastlane means you control your time...if I want to go to my kid's field trip, I can. During summer break from school, I'm sitting with them on the beach, playing at the pool, sleeping in. I love that I can raise my own kids the way I want to...

On the Slowlane, what's your other alternative? Paying for daycare, 40+ hours a week, never seeing your kids until you're home exhausted after work, spending half your income on daycare or after school care, and entrusting the shaping of their minds to someone who likely makes minimum wage.

So add this to your motivation...whether your male or female, get yourself started on the Fastlane path and reap the reward of time with your family...and teaching your next generation about entrepreneurship!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
New to the Forum, but have noticed that folks seem to be prioritizing lifestyle and glamor as primary motivators to get on the Fastlane...hot cars, dating models, big houses, etc... No problem with that at all, go for it, but wanted to throw this out there as well for consideration.

A huge benefit to the Fastlane is having freedom over your time...on the Slowlane, you may only be given a week of vacation, maybe 3 weeks per year if you've worked your a$$ off moving up in the company. But if you want kids someday, guess what...they are not only expensive, but the thing they want most is to spend time with you. Way more than nights/weekends and a few paltry vacation days.

You may be young now, may think you never want kids or can't envision it. I was that way too, but you meet the right person, you mature, etc, and you may change your mind.

Being on the Fastlane means you control your time...if I want to go to my kid's field trip, I can. During summer break from school, I'm sitting with them on the beach, playing at the pool, sleeping in. I love that I can raise my own kids the way I want to...

On the Slowlane, what's your other alternative? Paying for daycare, 40+ hours a week, never seeing your kids until you're home exhausted after work, spending half your income on daycare or after school care, and entrusting the shaping of their minds to someone who likely makes minimum wage.

So add this to your motivation...whether your male or female, get yourself started on the Fastlane path and reap the reward of time with your family...and teaching your next generation about entrepreneurship!

You got that right! :)

Milenko

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Mar 6, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Absolutely. My motivation has always been freedom - to not have anyone control my time or feel forced to do something I don't enjoy because I need the money. If your sole motivation is toys I don't think you're ever going to be satisfied as there's always some other more expensive toy that's perpetually going to be just out of your reach...

valuegiver

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Aug 18, 2010
Below quote is from For Entrepreneurs Only by Wilson Harrell.

As I roam around the country speaking to, for and about entrepreneurs, I meet a lot of "wanna-bes" who ask me how to be a successful entrepreneur. I always ask them the same questions: "What's your motivation?" "What are you after?" ''What,... in your mind, constitutes success?" Predictably, the answers are almost always the same: "Money!" A few say "power" or "influence." Some are more specific: big homes, yachts, private planes, Mercedes convertibles, travel, etc. I have a profound and startling answer for all of them. I say, "If you've got a job, keep it. If you haven't, go try and get one, 'cause you ain't no entrepreneur." Needless to say, I see a lot of shocked expressions. The obvious next question is, "Why, what'd you mean?" Which brings me to the point of my story.

I believe that most entrepreneurs fail because they're not entrepreneurs in the first place. Entrepreneurs are a very special breed. The gate to their kingdom is well-guarded against the "greedy" and "get-rich-quick" schemes. Many knock, few are admitted. It's true today, everybody wants to be an entrepreneur from New York taxi drivers to Avon ladies, all saying: "I am an entrepreneur." Maybe they're right. But claiming doesn't make it so! There are very few true entrepreneurs. So, be careful before you quit your job, cash in your IRA or pension and go hang up an entrepreneurial shingle, just because you want to make more money, or be rich and famous.

Hear me now! Money is not what entrepreneurship is all about. Nor is power or influence. Those are nothing but measures of success. Just materialistic scorecards. The world is full of scorecards. If you don't believe it, just open any newspaper, turn to the financial section and start reading the "scorecards" for Corporate America. Call any large company, ask them how they're doing. They'll send you their financial scorecard, along with a message from the "powerful" and ''influential" chairman or president, who will do a lot of bragging, explaining or excusing their "score." Our whole stupid business universe revolves around money, and it's dead-wrong. Every single one of those powerful and influential chairmen and presidents are nothing but scorekeepers riding on the back of some lonely and terrified entrepreneur that created the company way-back-when. Back when "money" was a byproduct of wanting to do something well.

Let me tell you what being an entrepreneur is all about. It's just one word. Such a simple word: Freedom! Freedom to get your head above the crowd. Freedom to be your own person. Freedom to have an idea, and to turn that idea into a business, and that business into an empire, if you can. Freedom to seek excellence. Freedom to care about your product or service, your people, your customers. And, if it all works freedom to tell bankers, "Get thee to Hell."

Of course, if you make it happen, some powerful and influential scorekeeper may end up taking over your company and passing out scorecards. Even worse, you may forget you're an entrepreneur and become just another scorekeeper.

Think about that for a moment. Isn't that scenario exactly what has happened to almost every single super successful entrepreneurial company in America? To Bill Watson at IBM? To Steve Jobs at Apple?

cashflow3000

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Jun 13, 2011
Bellingham, Washington, USA
Without a doubt, time freedom is essential, but one of the things I like about the Fastlane book is that MJ breaks it down for you so you can really see and understand exactly what you need to do to have time freedom AND the lifestyle that you want. Time freedom is one part of the lifestyle but only part of it. For example, I like to golf. I have the time freedom now to golf whenever I want, but not wherever I want. The difference is the Fastlane. :)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
eing on the Fastlane means you control your time...if I want to go to my kid's field trip, I can.

To back this up, the moment I "felt" I was on the Fastlane was when I was 27 years old. In fact, this is why I still feel just 27. At that age was the time I graduated from "needing a job" to not needing one -- I had no boss and was fully self-supporting. I was in full control over my time and yet, I was penniless and broke.

C

Carson Yim

Great point!

I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for a rough break-up with my ex, before meeting her I was kinda just 'going with the flow' and just taking whatever that came my way like a punching bag. Then I started working, bought my first apartment, and proceeded to hold more jobs. More time spent working = less time spent with her = relationship started to expire = whatever I did didn't seem to work no more = the end.

Her dad was fastlane material, he asked me one day, "So Carson, what will you do when you get your first million?" I was stunned, "Fudge, I don't even know yet...." I stammered through my reply, suffice to say he saw through my BS and kept quiet. That was a wake up call, I didn't really know why the heck I wanted to become wealthy.

Then I realized it wasn't about holding the best paying job(not about the money), or working my a$$ off to exchange more time with money. It's about freedom, to live the way I want to, with whoever I want to. What's the point of earning so much and buying nice things when there is no freedom to enjoy them? It just didn't make any sense to work deeper into the hole of indentured time. I looked around me in my workplace, people who have stayed working there for 5-6 years. They were not where I wanted to be, they were 'given' more 'responsibilities'. Working over time was natural for them, it wasn't for me.

Heck, one day if my other half ever needs me to be with the kids during their graduation or for a family outing. I want to have the freedom to be there, not telling them some old school 'excuse' of, "Dad's gotta work, but I can bring you out this Sunday?" -Like cutting someone then telling them I can bring them to a nearby clinic a few days later.

I never turned down party invites before this, but just last night I turned one down so I could rest early and rise early today to work. It feels pretty damn good because I know had I went for the party that would end at 2-3am, I would've gain nothing and woke up feeling wasted.

Having full control over your time at first can be really intimidating, especially for people like me. I've been following orders for many years, but the moment I figured out how to manage myself. There was no turning back. The taste of freedom beats anything.

Time waits for no one.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.