The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AndyTalks with Sonny about getting his 1st digital marketing client

Marketing, social media, advertising

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had a great chat with another forum member this morning.

@sonny_1080 only just started learning digital marketing 2 months ago (due to being in lockdown). He started by doing free work for a friend, then tried to cold call to get his first paying client, before finally getting a client through BNI networking.

Here's a recording of our chat. Sonny provides Google Ads management as a service but I think our discussion about sales is relevant to anyone who sells a service, especially B2B.

What's your biggest takeaways?

What will you do differently?

View: https://youtu.be/SBim2P_xA6o

EDIT: @sonny_1080 posted this to his progress thread here:

Too long, didn't watch?
  • The right business networking group is a great resource for B2B business
  • The value of thoroughness and transparency in business is underrated
  • Getting a customer and learning according to the critical path = time well spent
  • Use your local resources (coaches, mentors, groups, meetups, etc.)
  • Take "effective" actions. Get better at seeing yourself transition into "action-faking" - thats the only way to avoid it
  • Understand that you're probably gonna suck at first and you're probably gonna get dismissed/rejected, but it's all a part of the process. The more you practice, the better you'll get.
  • Providing value is one thing... getting paid for it after a long process is one of the best feelings I've ever felt.
  • Nobody really cares about what you do regardless of how you explain it... what really matters is being straight-forward about it and getting in front as many people as possible. If they want it, they'll ask.
  • Excitement about what you do is more important than how you pitch it
  • Taking a genuine interest in helping people instead of trying to get their money makes the rejection and dismissiveness almost nonexistent
  • Take satisfaction in the process of getting out there instead of being identified with the outcome... thats when you'll start having fun with it
  • If you have something of value... its selfish to not share it with people
  • I don't have to be an expert, I don't have to be a consultant... I just do it... and that's enough for the people that want it.
  • Stop overcomplicating business.
  • Pay attention to how people introduce you. I wasted days trying to find the best way to introduce myself instead of letting people find it for me.
  • Being more specific works.
  • Don't spend time trying to convince people (as a business owner), if you have something of value, theres always someone up the road who needs your help that you won't have to convince.
  • F*ck a script. F*ck "salesy-ness". Keep it casual. Keep it human.
  • "People buy from people." Be yourself. Make friends. Help your new friends.
  • "Human-ness" is key.
  • I got a referral from my first client before I got results for her... because we're friends now.
  • It's ok (and normal) to not know what to do. There isn't a step-by-step guide to entrepreneurship. Get used to figuring shit out as you go.
Hope that helps somebody!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Can't MJ just make an auto-script somehow to subscribe people to your YouTube channel automatically if they ever like your posts?
Thanks for the thought. I wouldn’t want that though. Part of the reason I don’t ask people to subscribe is that I only want subscribers who took it upon themselves to do so. (The other part is that I just treat YouTube as a place to store content rather than a channel I’m trying to grow.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What is the you tube channel? All I can find for Andy Black is some singer... lolView attachment 33362
LOL!!! That dude.

I had to change my blog to redirect to my LinkedIn profile to stop the emails I was getting from teenagers telling me how much they loved my music and how it helped them get out of a dark place. I would reply that I hoped they were well and maybe to politely suggest they email Andy Black the singer. And not Andy Black the poker player.

For a link to my YouTube channel just check my unreasonably large signature. (If you’re on your phone then turn it sideways.)

PS: Yes, I’m aware I could do YouTube SEO and stuff like that.

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
D

Deleted68316

Thank you, guys.
Really useful post.

I always thought about this structure, this cover that I put over myself just to present me as a business owner because some people told me that I have to do so. That it has to be difficult. And I forgot to just be myself and tell people what I do and see if I can help them.

I lost so much time "recently" only doing that. Which, as @sonny_1080 said, is action faking.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My sound quality for some of these calls is really poor so just picked this up

4DCB2292-4DDF-4B97-956B-065CED8825A0.jpeg

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I always thought about this structure, this cover that I put over myself just to present me as a business owner because some people told me that I have to do so. That it has to be difficult. And I forgot to just be myself and tell people what I do and see if I can help them.
It’s funny how we’re trained to do things that make it harder to succeed.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I added @sonny_1080 's notes to the opening post.

This is what Sonny wrote in his progress thread (here).

Too long, didn't watch?
  • Getting a customer and learning according to the critical path = time well spent
  • Take "effective" actions. Get better at seeing yourself transition into "action-faking" - thats the only way to avoid it
  • Understand that you're probably gonna suck at first and you're probably gonna get dismissed/rejected, but it's all a part of the process. The more you practice, the better you'll get.
  • Providing value is one thing... getting paid for it after a long process is one of the best feelings I've ever felt.
  • Nobody really cares about what you do regardless of how you explain it... what really matters is being straight-forward about it and getting in front as many people as possible. If they want it, they'll ask.
  • Taking a genuine interest in helping people instead of trying to get their money makes the rejection and dismissiveness almost nonexistent
  • Take satisfaction in the process of getting out there instead of being identified with the outcome... thats when you'll start having fun with it
  • I don't have to be an expert, I don't have to be a consultant... I just do it... and that's enough for the people that want it.
  • Pay attention to how people introduce you. I wasted days trying to find the best way to introduce myself instead of letting people find it for me.
  • Don't spend time trying to convince people (as a business owner), if you have something of value, theres always someone up the road who needs your help that you won't have to convince.
  • "Human-ness" is key.
  • I got a referral from my first client before I got results for her... because we're friends now.
  • It's ok (and normal) to not know what to do. There isn't a step-by-step guide to entrepreneurship. Get used to figuring shit out as you go.

Daniel.

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
194%
Sep 27, 2017
Long Beach, California
Congrats! @sonny_1080 | I will finish watching the video later today.

As I mentioned to @Andy Black through PM, I have shifted my mindset in how I'm going to sell my services. I naturally don't feel comfortable being a "salesman", although it has worked - it's not something that I enjoy doing so after binging on Andy's content, I feel like his style of "selling" is better fitted for me.

I understand that it takes time to transition from your day job to working for yourself, so I have to be patient but man, it gets tough at times.

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Congrats! @sonny_1080 | I will finish watching the video later today.

As I mentioned to @Andy Black through PM, I have shifted my mindset in how I'm going to sell my services. I naturally don't feel comfortable being a "salesman", although it has worked - it's not something that I enjoy doing so after binging on Andy's content, I feel like his style of "selling" is better fitted for me.

I understand that it takes time to transition from your day job to working for yourself, so I have to be patient but man, it gets tough at times.
Thanks man.

My job is a waste of time.Like a huge waste of time.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks man.

My job is a waste of time.Like a huge waste of time.
Try to think positive.

If you’re in a lecture and think “This is boring” then your body will slump. If you think “How can I make this more interesting?” then your body sits up and your brain tries to answer the challenge.

To win it we just have to stay in it. So if a job keeps you in it long enough then it’s a great thing.

What can you do to make your job interesting? What can to iI learn every day from your job that can be used in your side gig?

sonny_1080

Creating a tool I want to use.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Oct 30, 2019
Los Angeles
Try to think positive.

If you’re in a lecture and think “This is boring” then your body will slump. If you think “How can I make this more interesting?” then your body sits up and your brain tries to answer the challenge.

To win it we just have to stay in it. So if a job keeps you in it long enough then it’s a great thing.

What can you do to make your job interesting? What can to iI learn every day from your job that can be used in your side gig?
I mean.... making the decision to work only on the weekends was probably the best decision I could’ve made. I feel good about it.

KushShah9492

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
123%
Jan 2, 2021
India
I had a great chat with another forum member this morning.

@sonny_1080 only just started learning digital marketing 2 months ago (due to being in lockdown). He started by doing free work for a friend, then tried to cold call to get his first paying client, before finally got one through BNI networking.

Here's a recording of our chat. Sonny provides Google Ads management as a service but I think our discussion about sales is relevant to anyone who sells a service, especially B2B.

What's your biggest takeaways?

What will you do differently?

View: https://youtu.be/SBim2P_xA6o

EDIT: @sonny_1080 posted this to his progress thread here:

Too long, didn't watch?
  • "Human-ness" is key.
The summary is a GEM! lot’s of useful insights. Thank you!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.