The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy's Inbound/Sales Braindump

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
My fees are very very low. I’m more interested in creating a productised service, SaaS, and/or courses.
A month after I wrote that a business owner waved some money at me and I agreed to a higher ticket consulting gig for a month with a view to seeing if it’s a good fit going forward.

How did it come about?

Someone I’d done some Google Ads campaigns for years ago recommended me. That person has spent over $2m on Facebook Ads in the past 18 months, so I guess most of his buddies aren’t just starting out either.

I messaged his friend and offered to do a quick Zoom call to look over his shoulder at his Google Ads account but he declined and asked me to audit it instead.

I audited the account, sent a short 6 page Google Slide, and we messaged back and forth.

He then offered some money for the first month and paid as soon as I invoiced him.

There are many people who have a budget, do NOT want to get into the weeds in a one hour call, and who decide and pay very fast.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Talk to *everyone*
(Similar to let everyone know what you do.)

When you’re starting out, get into the habit of talking to folks.

Don’t discount people because you don’t think they’re your ideal client avatar.

You do NOT know your ideal client avatar yet. Any work you do on this before you engage the market is pure action faking imo, and it’s going to limit you going forward.

When your barber/hairdresser asks what you do, tell them. Watch where they get confused. Watch where they glaze over. Figure out how to stop talking tech speak so that your barber/hairdresser can understand you.
Adding on to this: it's equally fascinating to see how people who know of you, refer to you.

A friends aunt mentioned she heard that I "help companies do xyz". While that "xyz" is indeed part of my offerings, it isn't my principle service or how I'd necessarily advertise myself.

Hearing exactly how people see you can help you "zoom-out", especially when you fall into the trap of getting tunnel vision.

Nomads

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 3, 2014
As requested by @Andy Black here are some notes I wrote up on this topic.

Basically, picked out the parts I found most relevant to my business & didn't want to forget. Copy & pasting some aspects and wrote my own little notes. May be useful to someone new reading this thread as well! Also has information from the Spend Your Money On Diesel & Coffee thread.

Sorry if it's a bit all over the place. Was really supposed to just be notes for myself but hopefully someone can find value in it as well!

Let everyone know what you do
Talk about what you do naturally with everyone you see. Drop it into conversations and share. Become known as a resource for what you do and share advice for free wherever you can so people remember you.

Tell everyone - think of interesting aspects of what you do and use those as talking points as well. Don't drone on about the technical aspects, but talk about the aspects that people care about. I.E. #1 Google Ranking, Fast Loading Websites, etc.

Want to get known as the “XYZ Guy”?
- Talk about XYZ
- Help people with XYZ
- Be seen to help people with XYZ

Show Don’t Tell
On top of talking make sure you SHOW what you do. Tell stories that SHOW how you do it.

"Oh, I know a guy who does AdWords. He helped his electrician friend get going by running ads and finding out that 5,000 of the 10,000 searches one month were to do with washing machine, cooker, and oven repairs. They then built washing machine, cooker, and oven repair websites and shutdown the electrican website. His friend’s phone then leapt off the hook."

Ask about them first - ASK what they do - relate it back to what you do.

Example being about to show how keyword rankings from SEO have increased since the new website. Show them actual analytics.

Follow Up With People
Send hand-crafted messages to everyone you know. In a short, friendly, non-needy way offer your help.

Example:

Hi Bob,

Hope you and your family are well.

Just thought I'd let you know some space has cleared in my calendar. If you need any help with AdWords or know anyone who does then just reach out.

We must catch up soon. It's long overdue!

Speak soon,
Andy

The important part is saying some space has cleared in your calendar. This isn't needy, but has them thinking how they can help you fill it.

Contact People You Know
Contact people who already trust you and have done business with you. Meet with people and try to talk to them and see what they need. Let them tell you their problems and help them solve them.

Good relationships are beneficial as that person will spread your name around.

Offer to meet with people and help them with their business over lunch - no sale necessary. Give 100% of the best advice you can in an hour or so to them. No pitch, no sales. Chances are they will ask YOU to help them in the end instead of doing it themselves.

Contact old connections you have lost touch with, etc and do this for lunch frequently.

Consider the following plan:

1) Use your existing network first.

2) Add to your existing network by doing such a good job that clients refer you on, and by being seen to help folks.

3) Use cold traffic *after* you've worked out how to sell to people who already know, like, and trust you.

Talk to Everyone
Tell EVERYONE what you do and SHOW how you do it and how it could help them with their problems.

Even if someone doesn’t become a client, it is one more person who knows you and what you do. They can pass that along to someone who may become a client.

Brief Emails
Give a website owner something of value in a quick email without selling them anything.

“Hi,

Spotted a wee typo:

<screenshot>

Andy”

“Hi,

I get this when I click on the Facebook link on your website:

<screenshot>

Andy”

May open a conversation where you can then offer more help.

If not it ultimately loops back into getting your name out there and in front of people so that they may think of you next time they need help. Offer value & service wherever possible.

Diesel And Coffee
Put in the effort to build relations and don’t just try to sell people things. Reconnecting with past connections will pay off enormously in the future.

Reach out to contacts you have lost touch with and try to arrange a time to meet and catch up. Don’t go in with a sales mindset but rather approach them with an open conversation about how you could both possibly help each other in the future.

Specifically for connections that own/manage businesses.

Loops back into following up with people you know & following up with people.

The more you get your name in front of people casually and share what you do, the more likely you pop into mind when they actually need your help.

Nhervel 1

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
64%
Sep 17, 2020
Cameroon
Merci Andy pour ce partage
C'est toujours un plaisir de vous lire

Il ne manquait plus que tu nous apprennent Google ads

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks Andy for sharing.
It's always a pleasure to read you

All you needed to do was teach us Google ads
My pleasure. Google Ads is just a technical skill. I'm more interested in sales, marketing, building a business, and living a happier life.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
As requested by @Andy Black here are some notes I wrote up on this topic.

Basically, picked out the parts I found most relevant to my business & didn't want to forget. Copy & pasting some aspects and wrote my own little notes. May be useful to someone new reading this thread as well! Also has information from the Spend Your Money On Diesel & Coffee thread.

Sorry if it's a bit all over the place. Was really supposed to just be notes for myself but hopefully someone can find value in it as well!

Let everyone know what you do
Talk about what you do naturally with everyone you see. Drop it into conversations and share. Become known as a resource for what you do and share advice for free wherever you can so people remember you.

Tell everyone - think of interesting aspects of what you do and use those as talking points as well. Don't drone on about the technical aspects, but talk about the aspects that people care about. I.E. #1 Google Ranking, Fast Loading Websites, etc.

Want to get known as the “XYZ Guy”?
- Talk about XYZ
- Help people with XYZ
- Be seen to help people with XYZ

Show Don’t Tell
On top of talking make sure you SHOW what you do. Tell stories that SHOW how you do it.

"Oh, I know a guy who does AdWords. He helped his electrician friend get going by running ads and finding out that 5,000 of the 10,000 searches one month were to do with washing machine, cooker, and oven repairs. They then built washing machine, cooker, and oven repair websites and shutdown the electrican website. His friend’s phone then leapt off the hook."

Ask about them first - ASK what they do - relate it back to what you do.

Example being about to show how keyword rankings from SEO have increased since the new website. Show them actual analytics.

Follow Up With People
Send hand-crafted messages to everyone you know. In a short, friendly, non-needy way offer your help.

Example:

Hi Bob,

Hope you and your family are well.

Just thought I'd let you know some space has cleared in my calendar. If you need any help with AdWords or know anyone who does then just reach out.

We must catch up soon. It's long overdue!

Speak soon,
Andy

The important part is saying some space has cleared in your calendar. This isn't needy, but has them thinking how they can help you fill it.

Contact People You Know
Contact people who already trust you and have done business with you. Meet with people and try to talk to them and see what they need. Let them tell you their problems and help them solve them.

Good relationships are beneficial as that person will spread your name around.

Offer to meet with people and help them with their business over lunch - no sale necessary. Give 100% of the best advice you can in an hour or so to them. No pitch, no sales. Chances are they will ask YOU to help them in the end instead of doing it themselves.

Contact old connections you have lost touch with, etc and do this for lunch frequently.

Consider the following plan:

1) Use your existing network first.

2) Add to your existing network by doing such a good job that clients refer you on, and by being seen to help folks.

3) Use cold traffic *after* you've worked out how to sell to people who already know, like, and trust you.

Talk to Everyone
Tell EVERYONE what you do and SHOW how you do it and how it could help them with their problems.

Even if someone doesn’t become a client, it is one more person who knows you and what you do. They can pass that along to someone who may become a client.

Brief Emails
Give a website owner something of value in a quick email without selling them anything.

“Hi,

Spotted a wee typo:

<screenshot>

Andy”

“Hi,

I get this when I click on the Facebook link on your website:

<screenshot>

Andy”

May open a conversation where you can then offer more help.

If not it ultimately loops back into getting your name out there and in front of people so that they may think of you next time they need help. Offer value & service wherever possible.

Diesel And Coffee
Put in the effort to build relations and don’t just try to sell people things. Reconnecting with past connections will pay off enormously in the future.

Reach out to contacts you have lost touch with and try to arrange a time to meet and catch up. Don’t go in with a sales mindset but rather approach them with an open conversation about how you could both possibly help each other in the future.

Specifically for connections that own/manage businesses.

Loops back into following up with people you know & following up with people.

The more you get your name in front of people casually and share what you do, the more likely you pop into mind when they actually need your help.
Ooo. Nice. Thanks for your summary and takeaways @Nomads.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I had a chat a couple of days ago with a business owner who'd been referred to me. At the end of the video call I said I'd have a look at his Google Ads account and do some keyword research to see if there's decent volume and how long tail it is. (I like video calls as we can get to know each other better and quicker.)

He sent a couple of emails yesterday that I couldn't get to as I was busy.
  • In one email he said he was quietly optimistic.
  • In another he asked for an idea of costs.

I've just sent the reply below.

Notes:
  1. "Show, don't tell" that you know what you're talking about.
  2. The email is short an easy to read. I put screenshots and more details below my signature. I don't want him getting bogged down with detail.
  3. There's one CTA - to grant me access to his account. I normally put CTAs last, but thought it made sense to put it first in this case.
  4. I didn't reply with costs like he asked. Costs for what? I've not looked at his account to see if I can help and how much work it would take on my part. (That people keep asking for costs before I've figured out what needs done is a bit of a red flag for me.)
  5. I've annotated a couple of screenshots. It's not ME saying there's decent search volume and most is on mobile - it's GOOGLE saying it.
  6. I've only attached two screenshots and I've not gone overboard with annotations. He's a busy business owner and will appreciate me pointing out the most important highlights. I'm a busy business owner and don't want to spend more time on this than I need to.
  7. On that point, busy business owners appreciate short sentences and that you get to the point.
  8. I'm matter of fact and unemotional. I'm a busy business owner, I'm not a salesman desperate to make a sale.
  9. I've been told by some that my avatar is "unprofessional". Good. It can filter out people I don't want to work with.

2022-05-26_12-29-28.png

AppMan

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
May 25, 2019
I had a chat a couple of days ago with a business owner who'd been referred to me. At the end of the video call I said I'd have a look at his Google Ads account and do some keyword research to see if there's decent volume and how long tail it is. (I like video calls as we can get to know each other better and quicker.)

He sent a couple of emails yesterday that I couldn't get to as I was busy.
  • In one email he said he was quietly optimistic.
  • In another he asked for an idea of costs.

I've just sent the reply below.

Notes:
  1. "Show, don't tell" that you know what you're talking about.
  2. The email is short an easy to read. I put screenshots and more details below my signature. I don't want him getting bogged down with detail.
  3. There's one CTA - to grant me access to his account. I normally put CTAs last, but thought it made sense to put it first in this case.
  4. I didn't reply with costs like he asked. Costs for what? I've not looked at his account to see if I can help and how much work it would take on my part. (That people keep asking for costs before I've figured out what needs done is a bit of a red flag for me.)
  5. I've annotated a couple of screenshots. It's not ME saying there's decent search volume and most is on mobile - it's GOOGLE saying it.
  6. I've only attached two screenshots and I've not gone overboard with annotations. He's a busy business owner and will appreciate me pointing out the most important highlights. I'm a busy business owner and don't want to spend more time on this than I need to.
  7. On that point, busy business owners appreciate short sentences and that you get to the point.
  8. I'm matter of fact and unemotional. I'm a busy business owner, I'm not a salesman desperate to make a sale.
  9. I've been told by some that my avatar is "unprofessional". Good. It can filter out people I don't want to work with.

View attachment 43675
No way to use this aviator in your real business , it is unprofessional

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

PowerJen

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 13, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
The TL;DR about positioning yourself

Want to get known as "The XYZ Guy"?

1) Talk about XYZ.

2) Help people with XYZ.

3) Be seen to help people with XYZ.
I talk about niche targeting and self publishing a book, how it can be done.
I help people by coaching them to write their book to build their brand. (I want to add niche targeting)
I'm not sure how three works best - but I do use portfolio photos and testimonials.

Question - how do I become known as the niche markets for books lady? It's a bit of a mouthful.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I talk about niche targeting and self publishing a book, how it can be done.
I help people by coaching them to write their book to build their brand. (I want to add niche targeting)
I'm not sure how three works best - but I do use portfolio photos and testimonials.

Question - how do I become known as the niche markets for books lady? It's a bit of a mouthful.
What would other people introduce you as?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Literally just now on LinkedIn. Notice how I even have to sell "free". Folks are suspicious of free.

2022-06-15_16-05-46.png

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Advice I just sent a friend who's doing a Zoom call with a potential client …

Make it a "chat" - as if you’re meeting for coffee. Have fun.

Ask them how business is going.

Then ask them how Google Ads is going.

Suggest they screenshare their account and you look over their shoulder.

Look at the last 30 days data and show them simple things they can do to stem the bleed, get profitable, and scale.

“Show, don’t tell” that you can help them.

If they ask about engaging you then ask for access so you can do a fuller review of the account to come up with a plan and a proposal.

If they don’t ask about engaging you then bid them a cheery good luck and tell them they can circle back if they need any help.

Leave it on a good note where you’ve made new connections who see you as helpful, friendly, enjoyable to work with, and competent (everything that makes you referable).

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Posted to my Figuring Out LinkedIn thread just now:

So a 1st connection who I'd never chatted to or messaged spotted my posts on LinkedIn recently.

Two months ago he started in a new company as Head of Growth and realised they needed Google Ads help.

We hopped on a Zoom with his marketing manager where I looked over their shoulder at their account.
(Exactly like I describe here.)

They became a €3k/mth consulting client this week.

All through the power of me being positioned as "The XYZ Guy" in his mind.

Note that most of my recent LinkedIn posts have NOT even been about Google Ads. Google Ads is sprinkeld into those posts and it's enough to put me top of mind with someone who already knows what I do.

Note that I didn't need a website for this either. Maybe he checked it out as part of his due diligence, but it's equally likely he didn't. The conversation started in LinkedIn DMs and then we took it to Zoom.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Blimey. Look what I wrote almost 10 years ago in my intro thread. 9 years later I'm still giving the same advice.

For people wondering how I get local businesses as clients (which I don't have many of by the way):

I don't consider myself an expert at face to face sales by any means, but off the top of my head...

Search Engine Marketing is all about being found by the people already looking for you. They are the easiest to sell to.

Once I started taking my own medicine and only taking inbound leads (word of mouth referrals, people finding me on LinkedIn), then everything fell into place.

Forget "selling"... it's all about helping them. If you focus on what they want, and not on what you want, then they see that and you're pushing against an open door.

Oh, and I know my website looks crap, but that's not the point. I only want to deal with people who are interested in the content, not the prettiness of the site. I will eventually beautify it, but it's not a high enough priority for me at the moment.

I am always open to meet businesses for a coffee. They buy me lunch, I waffle. It helps me to hone my stories.

I like telling stories. People remember stories, and I always tell the story about my brother-in-law.

I'm crap at closing, but I think that's mostly because I'm not really chasing the sale. If they're interested, they will circle back. If they aren't interested, I don't want to waste my time.

You *really* need to make sure you're not wasting your time on the wrong prospects.

Find out as quickly as you can whether they see the value in what you do, or the cost.

If the conversation is all about costs, then run. They will NEVER change, and they will always be squeezing you.

If their eyes light up because you provide exactly what they have been looking for, then you're in business (if you want it).

It's just then a case of working out HOW to align both your interests.

I've ended up going down the flat monthly rate route because that's how they mostly want to pay, and it's easiest for both parties.

Most small businesses have zero tracking, and most have a "budget" mentality rather than an "ROI" mentality.

"Let your customer pay you however they want to" was a line I read somewhere.

At the end of the day, a flat rate, % of PPC costs, pay-per-lead, pay-per-sale, % of profits, etc are all just different ways HOW to do the same thing.

Also, you're going to spend a lot of time dealing with them, so trust your gut, and only work with people you enjoy the company of.

(The reality is that I like producing content, and coaching and training. So rather than run campaigns for small businesses, I'd rather create some sort of info product and/or subscription based coaching site that helps them to get better themselves. If I can get to 50% creating content/coaching and 50% managing campaigns, then I'll be happy.)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I don't do "content marketing". I'm not any good at or interested in churning out content to generate business.

Here's what I do instead:
^^^ This.

If someone messages me on LinkedIn or Facebook and we take it to email then I use email address andy@andyblack.net

They'll check out AndyBlack.net where they can follow their nose and look over my LinkedIn profile, YouTube channel, and articles I've written in this forum.

I make it easy for them to check me out.

I don't do "content marketing". I don't really get leads from the content I publish. I get referrals from building relationships. Those referrals do their due diligence and check out my content before or after they reach out to me.

That's how some small YouTube channels with barely any videos and only a few hundred views can generate lots of business ... they're not "content marketing", they're making it easy for people to check them out.

For those just starting out I suggest going through the Inbound/Sales thread in my signature.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Someone asked how to get clients from Twitter. Here's my reply. I think it might help people even if they're not using Twitter.

My reply:

A year or so ago I bounced around on Twitter for a bit.
I did better connecting with people than posting tweets designed to get followers.

I don't think I got clients out of it, but I found a podcast co-host and a few great people I chatter with occasionally. I consider them peers rather than potential clients.

I'd say to be a bit careful of the advice that teaches how to post for Twitter. I started sounding like a fortune-cookie account and it took all the fun out of my time on Twitter.

I think one of the big advantages of Twitter is you can get in front of founders of big companies. I had a couple of back and forth tweets with Nathan Barry for instance, and Brennan Dunn replied to one of my tweets recently where I asked a question about his SaaS product.

I think if I was to use Twitter to get clients then I'd do good stuff outside of Twitter and tweet about it so that bigger accounts commented or retweeted.

So figure out what the bigger accounts want and give it to them so they want to retweet it.

An example might be that I use Nathan Barry's ConvertKit and Brennan Dunn's RightMessage and blow up an email list using Google Ads and their tools. I might credit their tools for helping me do that, and there's a chance that sparks their interest and I get on their radar. It's in their interest for them to promote strategies that help their SaaS users be more successful. Oh, and Pat Flynn is an investor in ConvertKit. Do you think he might be interested if some tactic helped ConvertKit become more successful?

See how that might work?

Some lines to remember:

"Who already has your clients?" (Jay Abraham)

"Be so good they can't ignore you." (Steve Martin)

"Tell me what you've done and I'll tell you who you are." (Some smart cookie who climbed Everest)

"People listen to experts, they follow leaders." (Doberman Dan)

Go do interesting stuff and talk about it. People will start following.

DCG

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Nov 15, 2022
Reach out to people who already know you

In the last few weeks I've had to hustle up a few clients to get my revenue back up to minimum levels.

The approach of contacting people who have already done business with me has worked very well.

Also, I deal a lot with agencies rather than end clients. So when they know I am available again, they can bring a few new clients to me in one go.

The beauty of subcontracting to agencies is that they do the selling for you, because they want to sell in their whole bundle of services, and you're just supplying part of it.

Are there local agencies near to you? Can you connect with agency owners on LinkedIn and say you've just gone freelance and would like some advice on how to grow your business?

I know a guy who recently jumped from permie land to setting up his own agency and he's done this. The absolute majority of marketing directors or agency owners he's contacted have congratulated him on the move and congratulated him on reaching out. If they are free they have all accepted his request to meet for a coffee.

I met this guy for a coffee too.

When you meet people, be open, be honest, and listen to them. Take action, and let them know you have. Also, manners (please and thank you) go a VERY long way.

You need to specialise and have them remember you as "The XYZ Guy". For me it's "The AdWords Guy".

Maybe you specialise in skillset ("The Guy Who Does Google Shopping Ads"), or maybe you specialise in vertical ("The Guy Who Builds Websites & Campaigns For Vets").

Go into each meet with an open mind. Don't push an agenda. Let them talk and try to find out what it is they need.

Try to break the "dance" of two people talking formally. Open up and converse with them as person to person.

If they know what you do, how you do it, what results you get (preferably by telling stories they can remember and retell to others), then your actual work is likely to come from THEIR network, not necessarily them.

Ideally, they leave knowing you as "The XYZ Guy" so when one of their friends or clients says they are having problems with XYZ, your name pops into mind immediately.

A few good relationships where you've met and know them is worth way more than 100 cold calls imo.

Business is all about relationships.

Hope this helps.
Thx, gonna join some LinkedIn and Facebook groups that are involving web design agencies.

Brass Pockets

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 26, 2023
UK
Thanks @Kak

I find it interesting that I’m known as an “AdWords Guy”, and some people think I should therefore use AdWords to grow my business.

AdWords is a way to get found by people who don’t already know you. I consider it the purest form of cold traffic because they’re searching when they find you.

It still doesn’t beat warm leads and word of mouth referrals though.

I think the trick is to master warm, then go to the cold channels. If you can’t sell to someone who’s been referred to you, then how can you sell to someone who has never heard of you?

What really tickles me is how we’ve sold over 40 landing pages without having a landing page to sell them from. And that I still don’t have a website to speak of, just a holding page for my business, and a personal branded domain that redirects to my LinkedIn profile - and I’m in the digital marketing space!
Made me chuckle this one Andy

'What really tickles me is how we’ve sold over 40 landing pages without having a landing page to sell them from. And that I still don’t have a website to speak of, just a holding page for my business, and a personal branded domain that redirects to my LinkedIn profile - and I’m in the digital marketing space!'

Now that's irony...

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Made me chuckle this one Andy

'What really tickles me is how we’ve sold over 40 landing pages without having a landing page to sell them from. And that I still don’t have a website to speak of, just a holding page for my business, and a personal branded domain that redirects to my LinkedIn profile - and I’m in the digital marketing space!'

Now that's irony...
Yeah. It reminds me of this:

Nomso8370

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 14, 2023
The TL;DR about positioning yourself

Want to get known as "The XYZ Guy"?

1) Talk about XYZ.

2) Help people with XYZ.

3) Be seen helping people with XYZ.
This is the best thing I have read all year. It is right on time. Building my brand as an "Engineer in Personal Finance", and been failing at it. I now have a target. Thank you again.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is the best thing I have read all year. It is right on time. Building my brand as an "Engineer in Personal Finance", and been failing at it. I now have a target. Thank you again.
I'm glad it helped.

I don't know what an Engineer in Personal Finance is. Maybe people don't. Take note of how other people introduce you and what they call you, and consider leaning into that.

Nomso8370

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 14, 2023
I'm glad it helped.

I don't know what an Engineer in Personal Finance is. Maybe people don't. Take note of how other people introduce you and what they call you, and consider leaning into that.
I worked as an engineer and became financially independent. I started my own financial advising firm to help people do the same. I have learned that financial advisors are salesman who baffle clients with bullshit. I am not them. I solve personal finance problems like an engineer not a salesman and that is what I am branding myself as.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I worked as an engineer and became financially independent. I started my own financial advising firm to help people do the same. I have learned that financial advisors are salesman who baffle clients with bullshit. I am not them. I solve personal finance problems like an engineer not a salesman and that is what I am branding myself as.
If you have to explain then it might be too complicated.

While you're trying to become known as "The Engineer in Personal Finance", what do other people refer to you as?

Maybe they say something like "Hey Andy, meet Nomso, he's my no BS personal finance guy."

Nomso8370

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Mar 14, 2023
If you have to explain then it might be too complicated.

While you're trying to become known as "The Engineer in Personal Finance", what do other people refer to you as?

Maybe they say something like "Hey Andy, meet Nomso, he's my no BS personal finance guy."
Never asked the question but I will find out. Thanks again.

DW85014

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 10, 2022
Reach out to people who already know you

In the last few weeks I've had to hustle up a few clients to get my revenue back up to minimum levels.

The approach of contacting people who have already done business with me has worked very well.

Also, I deal a lot with agencies rather than end clients. So when they know I am available again, they can bring a few new clients to me in one go.

The beauty of subcontracting to agencies is that they do the selling for you, because they want to sell in their whole bundle of services, and you're just supplying part of it.

Are there local agencies near to you? Can you connect with agency owners on LinkedIn and say you've just gone freelance and would like some advice on how to grow your business?

I know a guy who recently jumped from permie land to setting up his own agency and he's done this. The absolute majority of marketing directors or agency owners he's contacted have congratulated him on the move and congratulated him on reaching out. If they are free they have all accepted his request to meet for a coffee.

I met this guy for a coffee too.

When you meet people, be open, be honest, and listen to them. Take action, and let them know you have. Also, manners (please and thank you) go a VERY long way.

You need to specialise and have them remember you as "The XYZ Guy". For me it's "The AdWords Guy".

Maybe you specialise in skillset ("The Guy Who Does Google Shopping Ads"), or maybe you specialise in vertical ("The Guy Who Builds Websites & Campaigns For Vets").

Go into each meet with an open mind. Don't push an agenda. Let them talk and try to find out what it is they need.

Try to break the "dance" of two people talking formally. Open up and converse with them as person to person.

If they know what you do, how you do it, what results you get (preferably by telling stories they can remember and retell to others), then your actual work is likely to come from THEIR network, not necessarily them.

Ideally, they leave knowing you as "The XYZ Guy" so when one of their friends or clients says they are having problems with XYZ, your name pops into mind immediately.

A few good relationships where you've met and know them is worth way more than 100 cold calls imo.

Business is all about relationships.

Hope this helps.
Awesome thoughts !

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads