The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Andy shoots the breeze with eliquid

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Meh to punishments. IMO, if you need a punishment then maybe you need a stronger why. My hack? Help people. Put other people first and don’t let them down.

Ending up broke is enough punishment for me. Thinking my kids wont eat or that I couldn't pay my co-payment at the hospital ( if I went ) is enough for me too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
What if you don’t have a strong why?

What if you’re too comfortable where you’re at now?

Like a frog in slowly boiling water...he never tries to escape because in the MOMENT he’s comfortable...until it’s too late.

Take the next week off and go help at a homeless shelter or drug addiction shelter. If you can't get a why from that. I dont know what else could help.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
Exactly.

“Darken the page.” (Gary Halbert)

One of the top copywriters suggests you get a piece of paper out and just start. The rest will take care of itself.

Also... there’s a podcast where Doberman Dan describes how Gary Halbert wrote his copy. He’d read through all the material, then go chill for a few days... like go out on his boat fishing. Dan would start panicking that the deadline was looming. Gary wouldn’t allow any discussion beforehand on the topic. Then Gary would say... “It’s time” and they’d head back to shore and he’d start writing.

He filled up his brain with the input. Let it percolate for a while. Then he’d work on the output.

This is another reason why I don’t understand people consuming constantly. They fill up their head and don’t allow their brain to order the information and fit it into what’s already there. They’re collecting information, not knowledge, and certainly not wisdom. A book a day? Wtf?!?

Clarity and simplicity are our goals - not a never ending filling up of the overflowing glass.

Oohhh I like this

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
One-liners I remember from the call:

“I’m doing it anyway.”

“Do things that don’t scale.”

“Be someone people will buy from.” (Craig Desorcy) (I’m going to write a post on that one.)

"Show them their bleeding neck." (Perry Marshall)

“Scratch your own itch.”

“Scratch your customer's itch.”

“Become a domain authority.”

“You can’t outsource passion and insight.”

“You don’t get the same insights when you’re not at the coalface.”

“I wouldn’t trust Google as far as I could throw them.”

“I’ve an idea for my eighth SaaS.”

Any others jump out at you?

I'm letting my response to this and the takeaway percolate for another day.

But the one-liner I like the best was the:

"putting it on the long finger"

I'm going to find a way to use this daily for the next week somehow. Only because I know NO ONE here has ever heard it and they will constantly ask me what it means. Then I get to explain it to them and everything else that comes with it.

Purposely piquing their interest to force them to ask me a question.

Hmm, maybe I can add that to my skill set, say things that make people ask me a question about things I wanted to tell them anyways, so that it seems like they had the idea to do so, rather then me pushing on them for it so it doesn't look sales-y.

I'm going to spend the night looking up quotes and sayings in other countries now just to get people to ask me what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
'"You need to" is a red flag. "You need to"... well, no I don't.' - Andy

"What are they NOT saying, and what are the 'what ifs' to that?" - Jason

"Sometimes when you do the things that don't scale, that's where you get the quality and the value. Then, once you do that, you figure out a way to scale that." - Jason

"You can't outsource passion and insight." - Andy

"Adwords is growing to take away options and data away from you, so they can 'intelligently' make the decision for you. But people like you and me know that when you give them that type of data, you're missing out on insights." - Jason (I could talk for literal days about this direction... and I have!)

"If I do the opposite, I'll get a different result from everyone else." - Andy

Insights from the first 30 minutes. Real cool stuff, guys.

AshrafI

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Nov 6, 2018
Birmingham, Not Alabama
Just finished the entire podcast and I found it very informative. Thank you both for doing this and my most important takeaway was the idea of setting deadlines to prevent procrastination.
Thank you.

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
'"You need to" is a red flag. "You need to"... well, no I don't.' - Andy

"What are they NOT saying, and what are the 'what ifs' to that?" - Jason

"Sometimes when you do the things that don't scale, that's where you get the quality and the value. Then, once you do that, you figure out a way to scale that." - Jason

"You can't outsource passion and insight." - Andy

"Adwords is growing to take away options and data away from you, so they can 'intelligently' make the decision for you. But people like you and me know that when you give them that type of data, you're missing out on insights." - Jason (I could talk for literal days about this direction... and I have!)

"If I do the opposite, I'll get a different result from everyone else." - Andy

Insights from the first 30 minutes. Real cool stuff, guys.
Thanks @The-J

Any takeaways from the rest of the call?

astr0

Grinding
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Dec 3, 2017
Lviv, Ukraine
Some of my own observations:

1) I wave my hands ... a LOT! Except for when Jason is talking, when I then fold them to stop waving them around. I try not to move when someone else is talking, but I listen actively and smile and nod to encourage them to keep going.

2) Somehow we manage to “pass the mic” between us seamlessly. Not once in 90 minutes do we interrupt each other, and we’re two guys passionate about what we do, have a lot to say, and have never spoken to each other. Figure out how we do that.

3) The recording starts with me halfway through a sentence. I didn’t bother to edit that part out because it’s quicker to just upload to YouTube and Soundcloud, post to the forum, and be done with it. Would you have just uploaded it, or would you have *had* to edit it out. Do you think the recording is any worse for that half sentence?

Do you think we should redo the whole conversation because it got laggy in places?

4) Meh to click baity titles.

5) It’s so much better seeing Jason when he talks. Sure, we stop the video 30 minutes in, but you’ve got a feel for him by then. Do either of us come across as fake or over rehearsed? Do you instinctively trust Jason, and even more when he opens up and says he prefers working alone, and doing his own book-keeping? Do we come across as salesy, or as passionate techies/practitioners?

6) Do you think either of us are people you’d go for a coffee with? Why?

7) Do you think either of us are people you’d refer your friends to if they needed help with XYZ? Why?

8) If our first meeting was in person I’d shake eliquid’s hand, give him a big goofy grin, and probably a bro hug. Why though, when we’ve never met in person before?

I’d do the same with @Lex DeVille, @Fox, @MTF, @million$$$smile, @MJ DeMarco, @AllenCrawley, @Vigilante, @ZCP, @Walter Hay, and many many other forum members.

Why? Why would they shake my hand too?

Do you truly understand the biggest benefit of being in TFLF, or is this somewhere you’re taking, “building authority”, generating leads, or being snarky, negative, or just lurking?

Even if you don’t think you can “add value” (you’re wrong btw), you can still “just” support others.
1) Waving hands makes it more full and even emotional. Gives a feeling that both of you are totally focused on it.
2) You're really good at listening and you both wait for another person to finish the talk and don't interrupt him.
3) A half sentence at the beginning doesn't make it any worse. Same with lags and missing video. All the value inside is much more important than making it perfect.
4) The titles are fine
5) Definitely better with video - more information. You don't look salesy at all, more like passionate practitioners with a little techy way to approach things. I trust Jason from his threads and posts and he's open here too.
6) Yes, definitely. You're both smart and have interesting background and stories to tell. I am pretty sure that can provide some value to the talk too and probably get more out of this. We can even end up with some win-win opportunities from the talk if it would touch business (sounds pretty salesy, I know...).
7) Sorry, @eliquid, I probably don't have friends who would benefit from your SaaS. Andy's services are pretty expensive for an average Ukrainians, but he's doing it this way and that talks for itself that the expected results should be way better with him than other cheaper options. I would definitely recommend him for someone who's looking for that kind of service and would have positive expected ROI (not doing services for $2-3/hour).
8) You've answered it already. For me, the biggest benefits are being in a community of people who are controlling their lives or on their way to reaching this big goal. Helping others, learning something new from their experience and getting help when I need it. Everyone has different backgrounds and doing different things, so there's an opportunity to add value somewhere for everyone. Yes, I can't help much with e-commerce, but AMA on programming(except machine-learning) and outsourcing. Really feel guilty of thinking otherwise during the last small depression from being in a corridor with too many doors and couldn't pick one that would get me out. Funny that I've walked to this corridor on my own will. Both of you really helped me to find my way with this chat and on the Inside. Turned out the exit was the door I came in, right behind me and I couldn't see it myself any longer, lol.

"As long as I see something is working for me, I immediately have to get this" - Jason
And other's posted there already.

Last edited:

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
IDK, but I prob rate this talk as one of the best ever on the forum.
I think that's very interesting (and cool of course!).

Was it because of the phrase "putting it on the long finger"? Have you had a chance to use it?

I jest. What makes you rate it so highly, now you've had a while to think about it?

eliquid

( Jason Brown )
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
519%
May 29, 2013
I think that's very interesting (and cool of course!).

Was it because of the phrase "putting it on the long finger"? Have you had a chance to use it?

I jest. What makes you rate it so highly, now you've had a while to think about it?

Yes, the long finger. I have used it, but no one has asked me about it. lol

I just wanted to bump your thread, so I made the comment about my interview. ha

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!