The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

AMAZING Influencer Marketing Strategy that Led to $100,000 MRR - for SaaS & Ecom Founders

Marketing, social media, advertising

DeNero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 6, 2023
I came across this brilliant post from David Park @Davidpark96 on Twitter, and thought it would be very valuable to many people if I share it on here too. This was his brilliant Influencer Marketing strategy that added $100k in MRR to his business, enjoy:

"How we added $100,000 MRR with influencer marketing step-by-step:

1. Find out who your audience watches
- To find the first influencer to get you started, just go to your users' Instagram and see which influencers they are following
- When you see an influencer that is followed by several users of yours, you know that this influencer is likely followed by other potential users who could love your product
- Go to that influencer's profile and click "suggested similar accounts" and you'll get an easy list of hot leads that you can sponsor (you can continue to do this recursively for each new influencer that you find)
- Once you have a list of influencers, create a new Instagram/TikTok account and manually follow & watch their videos all the way through and the algorithm will start automatically showing relevant influencers to you that you can then reach out to
- Also, be sure to see what hashtags these influencers are using when they post and then follow those hashtags as well

2. Make a portfolio of bets instead of hunting for the perfect deal
- Do not allocate all of your marketing budget to a few large influencers
- Find smaller influencers, if a new-ish account has multiple videos with 100k+ views, it's absolute GOLD
- If the account has high conversion potential, but the first video flops, don't be afraid to run it back again (often times you can get a better rate on the second video if the first video does poorly)
- You should be casting a large net and then doubling down on the winners and gathering data to get better at predicting which influencer would be great to sponsor
- One good influencer partnership can make up for several influencer partnerships with negative ROI

3. Reach out to influencers - DMs > emails = higher response rate (at least for us)
- All messages need to be as detailed and tailored as possible, but most importantly as CONCISE as possible. This balance is hard but you’ll get a better feel for this as you notice what gets ignored and what doesn't
- Demonstrate that you’re genuinely a fan of their content and that you’re excited to partner up. This is such a low bar but very few founders actually put in the effort
- Why should they partner with you? Why will their audience love your product? Don’t talk about dumb shit like how many employees your company has or what round of fundraising you’re at (I suggest not talking about those vanity metrics in any situation, but I digress)
- Expect more than 50% of influencers to not respond, but this % is very volatile depending on what industry you’re in, and how cool/well-known your product is
- The good news is, as more influencers talk about your product it gets easier and easier to convince them to promote your product because they have heard of it before (unknown products could be risky or straight-up scams)

4. Negotiate a win-win situation
- The highest priority is to align the incentives between you and the influencer. You should both want a banger video that converts
- The most obvious thing is that you never pay upfront for videos (pay half upfront at most). Most influencers are fantastic people but some influencers will just try and drop a half-a$$ video once they get their check
- Try to split the payment so that some % comes from the number of conversions that they bring (you can track this via coupon code or UTM link). If they don’t want to do that, try to at least have some affiliate bonus
- When we identify an influencer that could kill it, we always try to get a bulk order of 3-10 videos. This allows for a cheaper price per video and helps build a real relationship with the influencer
- Also don’t listen to these absolute garbage articles that tell you to pay based on the number of subscribers that they have. The sole question you should be asking is, will they convert or will they not (at least in the early stage of your startup). If you google “How much to pay an influencer”, all the top articles will give you this terrible advice. It genuinely blows my mind haha.

5. Content is the hardest part
- You can’t use a general content strategy for all of your influencer partnerships and each influencer has a certain type of content that their audience likes. Your content can’t deviate too far from it or else it will have terrible watch times and you’re basically paying for a dud
- If you don’t have experience with social media or making engaging content, just let the influencer make the video and then you approve it (after aligning your incentives, as we discussed in the last step)
- One important note is that views are irrelevant, we’ve had videos that got 30 MILLION views and gave us barely any conversions, whereas a video with 50k views converted like hotcakes. The video should make the viewers excited about what you’ve built not just have them hear what you made and then forget about it the second they scroll to the next video on their For You Page
- In general, if you know your product is cool and if you have PMF, the partnership video can sound a lot like an ad and their viewers should still be invested

6. Scale it
- In the early days, I did all of this myself. But as you know, if you want to build a huge startup you need more than just influencer marketing. There are hundreds of different growth channels that you should be utilizing.
- You need to solve influencer marketing and then move on to figuring out the next growth channel (scaling SEO, recruiting affiliates, paid ads for example)
- This means you need to be collecting a ton of data: how do you write emails to convince influencers to work with you? what type of influencers convert best? what platforms convert best (YT, IG, TT)? what countries convert the best? what age groups? what is your formula that you can use to find out how much you can pay an influencer before the ROI is negative?
- The ultimate goal is to build out your influencer marketing arm and then bring on somebody to help run it so you can focus on other aspects of growth.
- You need to have all of your insights and data figured out so that when you bring somebody on, they can take your insights and devote all of their time to become even better than you are at influencer marketing.

In conclusion, influencer marketing is a variant of marketing that truly rewards extra effort and creativity. Which should be great news for any founder who is willing to put in that extra work.

If you cannot find an influencer’s email, sure it will be extra work to find out how to contact them, but it could also mean that they’ll be more impressed that you are willing to go the extra mile and find a way to make the partnership work (so long as you aren’t creepy about it).

If you have no idea who the rising stars of your industry are, it will take a ton of work to find out who they are. However, these niche influencers will always be a better deal than working with huge creators who have agents and are well-versed in how to extract as much money as possible from you.

It’s the same with content, instead of just asking them to make some boilerplate video shilling your product, maybe they have some viral series that their audience loves. Is there any way to organically add your product to that series? Or maybe there’s some inside joke that the creator has with their audience? Is there any way you can do some creative play with that? Can you write the script to make it more organic to their tone of voice? Or maybe allow them to write the first draft and then you tweak it slightly?

Few companies/founders put in the extra effort and the sponsorship devolves into the influencer doing the ad read as if they have a gun to their head and they just downed an entire bottle of melatonin.

Like all things, the first few emails you send will probably be cringe and get ignored, and your first influencer partnerships will be painful and you’ll probably lose some money, but slowly your skills will compound and you’ll get more data and you’ll get better at it.

The good news is that you only need one amazing influencer partnership to make up for all the losses of the previous 10 partnerships.

As an added bonus, you get to keep the learnings from the previous 10 partnerships for free and you can use that data to find even more successful influencer partnerships at a more frequent hit rate.

Hopefully, this post allows you to avoid some dumb mistakes I made!

Best of luck :) "

Again, 100% credit to David Park @Davidpark96 for sharing this, and I hope it helps a lot of you guys as well who want to up your game with influencer marketing!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Bump.

There is not a lot a content here on influencer marketing, which I believe should be the first option for any company, far ahead of any kind of paid ads.

Spenny

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Nov 16, 2022
United Kingdom
Given GOLD because this is precisely what I need as I'll be delving into this soon. Too many social media users immediately skip ads when they smell it.

Affiliate schemes work well, too; I've recently had success from someone pushing my video on a gadgets page.

DeNero

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 6, 2023
Bump.

There is not a lot a content here on influencer marketing, which I believe should be the first option for any company, far ahead of any kind of paid ads.
Thanks and I agree, nowadays it's a great way to test your product, your marketing, and form highly profitable, long-term collabs/partnerships with people who can push your products/services.

That combined with investing a good chunk of money in UGC and content creation for organic growth (tiktok especially).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Yula

Go Small, Then Big or Go Home
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Mar 26, 2021
Netherlands
Thank you for this! I've been struggling with finding the right influencers for the past few weeks, but this has given me some structure.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.