The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Marketing, social media, advertising

ycee

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 22, 2019
Most brands try influencer marketing but end up concluding it doesn't work. In most cases, it is for a very particular reason. They treat it like it's a celeb shoutout.

It's surprising how many brands still think influencer marketing is about getting an Instagram model to pose with your product.

Easy trap to fall into: pay per post, make it look celeb-like.

avoid.jpg

I see these posts where a model is holding a product in a very awkward unrealistic way, they clearly don't use it and the caption reeks of talking points their agency copy-pasted. This shit doesn't work

Think about doing influence marketing, not influencer marketing. Are you really influencing someone with a product placement like that?

You need to reach creators who have influence over an audience, creators who can create content that holds attention and persuades. When starting out, have a bias for smaller creators with niche audiences they have built huge trust with. Not big celebrity shoutouts.

Sales will come through creator advocacy, not ads . What do you all think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
My girlfriend has been an influencer for 8 years and here's her take (paraphrased):

The brands that are very strict with how the influencers create the content end up not running very successful campaigns.
They'll send back your photos until you've placed the product exactly where they want it next to your face. (She's working with a well known brand right now that is doing that exact thing)

The influencer knows what makes their audience tick and what they will respond and resonate with. They built the following, not you. Let them be creative with how they showcase your product.

What you're talking about is essentially a billboard just getting brand exposure out there but is easily forgotten as soon as you drive (or scroll) past.

You're correct about going for the creator who has built a lot of trust with their followers. Your campaign will be more effective through them.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
When starting out, have a bias for smaller creators with niche audiences they have built huge trust with. Not big celebrity shoutouts.

100%. Small creators are more interested in working with you, they care more, and they have more loyal fans than a random big celebrity.

I'm working with one guy and I specifically told him I don't want to impose on how he wants to promote my stuff in any way because he knows his audience best. I'm happy with this relationship (and I believe he's happy with the freedom he has).

ycee

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Sep 22, 2019
My girlfriend has been an influencer for 8 years and here's her take (paraphrased):

The brands that are very strict with how the influencers create the content end up not running very successful campaigns.
They'll send back your photos until you've placed the product exactly where they want it next to your face. (She's working with a well known brand right now that is doing that exact thing)

The influencer knows what makes their audience tick and what they will respond and resonate with. They built the following, not you. Let them be creative with how they showcase your product.

What you're talking about is essentially a billboard just getting brand exposure out there but is easily forgotten as soon as you drive (or scroll) past.

You're correct about going for the creator who has built a lot of trust with their followers. Your campaign will be more effective through them.
Thanks for sharing this. I've spoken to many influencers and they share a similar sentiment. Only solidifies my stance on it. Big brands are especially bad at this, leaves the arena open for smarter smaller brands. Suits vs. Entrepreneurs haha.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Most brands try influencer marketing but end up concluding it doesn't work. In most cases, it is for a very particular reason. They treat it like it's a celeb shoutout.

It's surprising how many brands still think influencer marketing is about getting an Instagram model to pose with your product.

Easy trap to fall into: pay per post, make it look celeb-like.

View attachment 42985

I see these posts where a model is holding a product in a very awkward unrealistic way, they clearly don't use it and the caption reeks of talking points their agency copy-pasted. This shit doesn't work

Think about doing influence marketing, not influencer marketing. Are you really influencing someone with a product placement like that?

You need to reach creators who have influence over an audience, creators who can create content that holds attention and persuades. When starting out, have a bias for smaller creators with niche audiences they have built huge trust with. Not big celebrity shoutouts.

Sales will come through creator advocacy, not ads . What do you all think?
It has to be a win win for all three parties. Merchant, Buyer and Influencer.

Live stream selling through influnzer has been a popular and successful business model in China.
They sell consumer products that you can already buy online. The reason is you can get it cheaper from the influencer. In this case the influencer becomes the human equivalent form of amazon who can bargain from suppliers for lower prices for economies of scale.

One of the influencer marketing that still works is the crypto market. The reason is more exposure give you more accessibility. People have no time to understand the thousands of projects that are coming out every quarter. If you can be even heard you are already miles ahead in community building.

But for crypto it is very tricky for the creator, that you start to accept sheet coin promotion very soon your rep is going to decline and that hurts your channel more than what you can gain.

Onakosa

"When I grow up I want to be ... "
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Oct 23, 2020
UK

This! Every time!

This is one of the first things I say to anyone looking for influencer reach-out. The influencer has built a following by knowing their audience. Let them work out how best to promote your product and don't interfere (within reason).

The other really common mistake I see is not setting out expectations right from the beginning. It's crucial to set down in writing what you both want and expect. Both parties need to be crystal clear on what they're getting from the relationship.

Influencer marketing is incredibly powerful and most marketing depts are increasing their spend on it. When it's done right, it's very effective.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.