The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice on funding next business

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Hey guys, firstly I’m only asking for ADVICE not begging for investment or money.

I can’t afford the costs associated with starting up my next business, these are under £10,000

Now wondering, what routes could be doable to fund this?

I don’t want to hand over any control, just basically need a way to get these funds to start up. I have a current business but it really doesn’t turn enough profit to do this, I could seek investment for more stock for current business which may help as it does sell albeit sort of slowly.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Stargazer

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
184%
Mar 8, 2018
England
If you really think you need £xyz and don't have it, just get an unsecured loan.

eg £7k over 3 years at 7.9% is £218 a month in repayments according to Nationwide that I just typed in as an example. So you would end up paying £7853 in total.

If that £7k allowed you to start and make sales from next month you should be covering all or most of the £218 from month 1 anyway.

Dan

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
If you really think you need £xyz and don't have it, just get an unsecured loan.

eg £7k over 3 years at 7.9% is £218 a month in repayments according to Nationwide that I just typed in as an example. So you would end up paying £7853 in total.

If that £7k allowed you to start and make sales from next month you should be covering all or most of the £218 from month 1 anyway.

Dan
Much appreciated bro! Going to get more soft proof and validate the idea more. Then maybe get hard proof and see if people would actually pay for the idea. Definitely loads of value skew’s compared to what exists but would take months and months of learning for me to launch the site needed.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Hindsight is always 20/20... but whenever I borrowed or raised money for a project, I realized shortly after that I could have done it for much less and/or nothing.

If you have any sales chops whatsoever, you can sell the product/service before you have it, collect purchase orders, and borrow money against those purchase orders for a very minimal amount of interest (a much more secure investment for a lender).

... but seeing as you haven't said what it is I'm guess it's some crazy hair-brained idea like an app or something revolutionary that's going to change the world overnight and if you JUST had 10k, you'd be a billionaire...?

(I'm just poking fun, but this is common here on the forum)

I have a current business but it really doesn’t turn enough profit to do this, I could seek investment for more stock for current business which may help as it does sell albeit sort of slowly.

I have no idea what you're doing, your situation, or ANYTHING... so this is my horrible advice (take it for what it's worth):

1. Make your current business profitable before doing anything else. Don't run around putting down foundations. Finish the building.

2. Don't throw good money after bad.

3. Don't give away your promise of tomorrow for security today.

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Hindsight is always 20/20... but whenever I borrowed or raised money for a project, I realized shortly after that I could have done it for much less and/or nothing.

If you have any sales chops whatsoever, you can sell the product/service before you have it, collect purchase orders, and borrow money against those purchase orders for a very minimal amount of interest (a much more secure investment for a lender).

... but seeing as you haven't said what it is I'm guess it's some crazy hair-brained idea like an app or something revolutionary that's going to change the world overnight and if you JUST had 10k, you'd be a billionaire...?

(I'm just poking fun, but this is common here on the forum)

I have no idea what you're doing, your situation, or ANYTHING... so this is my horrible advice (take it for what it's worth):

1. Make your current business profitable before doing anything else. Don't run around putting down foundations. Finish the building.

Appreciate the advice and no, it’s not some crazy hair brained idea. I’m not planning to make billions with it, infact believe it’ll make about £2-£4k+ monthly when fully operational. I promise, it’s not an app. Though maybe an app could be a future development but that’s way out of my scope right now.

With regards to 1), my current business is profitable but how is this related to starting my next? It doesn’t lose me money but doesn’t have enough momentum or scale. Maybe you mean make it profitable to fund next one which is a good idea but really I’m looking at maximum £1000-£2000 if I woke up tomorrow and someone bought all my stock for best retail value.

I didn’t really understand 2 and 3 but I’ll check back tomorrow as I’m still pretty ill and out of it at the moment.

I’m willing to discuss this idea with anyone who’s well known on this forum. Though I’m pretty set on it, already know what the challenges could/would be.

Do appreciate this though, will search and maybe there’s a cheaper or “cost-free” alt to what I’m thinking. In fact thinking about it, probably is. My brain is super scrambled and this illness sucks a$$. Going to put my phone off now as looking at a screen has given me a headache.

Thanks again tho, will check back tomorrow

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Appreciate the advice and no, it’s not some crazy hair brained idea. I’m not planning to make billions with it, infact believe it’ll make about £2-£4k+ monthly when fully operational. I promise, it’s not an app. Though maybe an app could be a future development but that’s way out of my scope right now.

Not to be offensive but for 2-4k/month... why bother? An investment of 10k to get a guaranteed 2-4k/month is a very good investment... however, it's not a very strong business.

It is extremely helpful if you just say what you're trying to do... in plain English... without trying to be a secret agent...

With regards to 1), my current business is profitable but how is this related to starting my next? It doesn’t lose me money but doesn’t have enough momentum or scale.

Why?
How do you know?
Are you SURE?

Maybe you mean make it profitable to fund next one which is a good idea but really I’m looking at maximum £1000-£2000 if I woke up tomorrow and someone bought all my stock for best retail value.

Yes.

The man who chases two rabbits catches neither.

I didn’t really understand 2 and 3 but I’ll check back tomorrow as I’m still pretty ill and out of it at the moment.

This means, you have a business going making SOME kind of money. Don't take that money and throw it at an unproven business model/product/service.

Example: I make money in my business. Invest it in random crypto shitcoins hoping it'll take off (Gambling).

By giving equity you're giving someone a piece of profits you haven't earned yet. It's a future promise. You have little to no profits now with not a very solid promise of future profits... but if you're giving that future promise away, it takes away most of your motivation to continue.

NOTE: random thoughts, take them for what they're worth.

I’m willing to discuss this idea with anyone who’s well known on this forum. Though I’m pretty set on it, already know what the challenges could/would be.

Which is great but well-known here and knowledgeable are two very different things. :rofl:

Do appreciate this though, will search and maybe there’s a cheaper or “cost-free” alt to what I’m thinking. In fact thinking about it, probably is. My brain is super scrambled and this illness sucks a$$. Going to put my phone off now as looking at a screen has given me a headache.

Don't stress!

Thanks again tho, will check back tomorrow

:bicep:

KJFast

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Dec 8, 2023
Not to be offensive but for 2-4k/month... why bother? An investment of 10k to get a guaranteed 2-4k/month is a very good investment... however, it's not a very strong business.

It is extremely helpful if you just say what you're trying to do... in plain English... without trying to be a secret agent...

Why?
How do you know?
Are you SURE?

Yes.

The man who chases two rabbits catches neither.

This means, you have a business going making SOME kind of money. Don't take that money and throw it at an unproven business model/product/service.

Example: I make money in my business. Invest it in random crypto shitcoins hoping it'll take off (Gambling).

By giving equity you're giving someone a piece of profits you haven't earned yet. It's a future promise. You have little to no profits now with not a very solid promise of future profits... but if you're giving that future promise away, it takes away most of your motivation to continue.

NOTE: random thoughts, take them for what they're worth.

Which is great but well-known here and knowledgeable are two very different things. :rofl:

Don't stress!

:bicep:
Definitely feeling much less ill after a sleep haha.

Understand with the well known and knowledgeable aspect. Makes a lot of sense points 2/3. Definitely more soft & hard proof and prototyping needed.

I’m also pretty sure about leaving the current business I have in the state it’s in. It’s profitable for sure but other reasons for quitting it remain.
I completely understand about the man who chases two rabbits catch none but the man chasing a rabbit almost doomed to fail never get’s the chance to get the second one.

Actually planning an exit with my current business which I could fund the next one with. Small figure exit but realise it’s best to spend as little as possible and get more soft/hard proof first with prototypes.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Only $10,000?

Short answer, just get a credit card.

If your credit sucks and you can't, then just sock away some savings from a day job or a side hustle for a year until you have it.

Kevin88660

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Feb 8, 2019
Southeast Asia
Borrow and pay it back if it fails.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
442%
May 27, 2013
United States
Presell 10k worth of orders.
Definitely possible if you can generate enough interest and demand for the product.

Did it with my current business.

This is why kickstarters exist.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!