The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

Anyone accessed the Rollover for Business Startups (ROBS) funding approach?

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

SeanP

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jan 19, 2018
Portland, OR
I am considering accessing the ROBS (roll over for business startups) program to roll my 401k into a 401k plan under my start-up without deduction or penalty where the funds are exchanged for common stock held by the 401k. Those funds can then be used to finance operating expenses for my company (everything except a wage for me).

Here is the formal description of the ROBS program: "A rollover for business startups (ROBS) allows you to invest retirement funds from a 401(k) or individual retirement account (IRA) into your business without paying early withdrawal penalties or taxes. A ROBS isn’t a business loan or a 401(k) loan, so there’s no debt to repay or interest payments to make. A ROBS isn’t a withdrawal from your retirement account or a loan against it. Instead, it’s a rollover that invests directly in your business."

Has anyone on the forum had experience (good or bad) with the ROBS program? Would love to hear before I make the decision on whether to pursue it or now.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Sean

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

SeanP

New Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jan 19, 2018
Portland, OR
Hi Tarec, thanks this is great! Guidant Financial is in fact the company I have been speaking to about implementing the ROBS plan. The challenge is that to bring any VC in the future, they have to be awarded common stock too. If VC investors are given preferred stock, it puts the 401k fund with common stock at a disadvantage and contravenes IRS rules around the ROBS program as I understand it.

Cheers,

Sean

Tarec

New Contributor
May 29, 2019
Hi Tarec, thanks this is great! Guidant Financial is in fact the company I have been speaking to about implementing the ROBS plan. The challenge is that to bring any VC in the future, they have to be awarded common stock too. If VC investors are given preferred stock, it puts the 401k fund with common stock at a disadvantage and contravenes IRS rules around the ROBS program as I understand it.

Cheers,

Sean

U are welcome.

From what I recall, the podcast was talking about acquiring a branded e-com store. It was a pretty straight forward process with the buyer's ROBS as any profit from the business would "roll back" to the 401k but I am not sure how it would work with a new start-up with VC involved. That, I can't, unfortunately, help you.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2020
How much it will cost if I go for a new setup. I was looking for such ideas and I want to take...
FEATURED! Introducing... WEALTH EXPO$ED, A Short Story By MJ DeMarco
Finally! I just launched a short story on Kindle (FREE if you have Kindle Unlimited)! After...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
I planned to make a separate post for this video but it is useful here as well for anyone...
MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Last promo of the year.. Get the training you need now or miss it. Promo Code: FINALHOUR...
MARKETPLACE Kill Bigger Incubator
UPDATED POST: Hey Guys! I wanted to give a quick update on what this program has become. In...
MARKETPLACE Grow Your Business With a Book (An Unorthodox Marketing Strategy That Built One of the Largest...
Are you looking for a new, lesser-known but potentially very lucrative source of leads to your...

Forum Sponsor

sponsor

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom