• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

EXECUTION Journal of Next Business

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by EasternCrane, Mar 23, 2018.

1. lewj24

lewj24 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,016
    Why?

2. EasternCrane

EasternCrane Sit in the gap not the choice Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Day 14 and 15:

Value for anyone reading:

Quote of the day:
    "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." - Confucius
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update:
    +0

Current Stats:
    45 cold emails (action)
    23 extremely personalized cold emails/contacts (action)
    1 response from a possible auto-responder followed redirect to new email.
    4 bounces
    3 responses (action)
    0 sales
    1 project (action)
    2 meeting (action)
    50 followup (action)
    6 business failures
    12 Linkedin coffee offers (action)

Total actions: 136

Feelings and Thoughts:
    I spent time away from doing anything because I'm uncertain of the next step. I currently have a project that feels more like being a free "employee" than a real business.

The opportunity could lead me to more fruitful avenues.

In other news, I have a phone call that is on-target for my industry.

Current Status:
    x

Goal for tomorrow:
    x

Overarching goal:
    Create a software business with first sale in 5 months.

Accountable time line and major goal:
    5 months, 1 problem, 1st sale.

Possible changes:
    x

Challenges:
    x

Current Schedule:
    1 hour meditation
    1 hour eating
    5 hours emailing and following up
    2 hours research

Current Problem to Solve:
    x

Question for Anyone Reading:
    x

-------
    Note: no notes today

3. EasternCrane

EasternCrane Sit in the gap not the choice Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Thought about it.

I have my project. It can springboard to more opportunities. It isn't something I'm really interested in.

I'll sit with it for a while.

4. lewj24

lewj24 Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $5,016
    Dude what is going on? I'm trying to root for you but you are making it tough. I'm about to give up. You just posted a quote about never giving up and right below it you post about how you decided to do nothing....

I talked earlier in this thread about goal setting. Do that. If your goal is to start a software business break it down. What kind of software business? What industry? How do you start a software business? etc. etc. You keep breaking it down until you figure everything out and then determine if you still want to go through with it. If you do then you will have an idea of what actions you then have to take. Boom. Then take those actions.

Stop posting and tallying your "136 Actions." What even counts as an action? So an email counts? A LinkedIn coffee offer counts?? What is this man? You might as well count brushing your teeth or taking a sh*t. After all, you have to do these things in order to be a productive worker/achiever/entrepreneur. This is useless BS trying to make yourself feel good for "taking action."

The only way you need these kind of numbers is if your trying to figure out some real metrics that you can manipulate in the future such as "I sent 10,000 emails and got 100 back I wonder if I can increase my conversions somehow or if I should try a new method" But that's not taking 10,000 actions.

The goal is not how many actions you take. The goal is how many dollars you make.

akotu, JScott and jcvlds like this.
  5. EasternCrane

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Day 16:

Quote of the day:
    "Humility is the solid foundation of all virtues." - Confucius
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Update:
    +15 Linkedin connection requests
    1 appointment phone call scheduled

Current Stats:
    45 cold emails (action)
    4 bounces
    3 responses (action)
    0 sales
    1 project (action)
    2 meeting (action)
    50 followup (action)
    6 business failures
    27 Linkedin coffee offers (action)

Total actions: 151

Feelings and Thoughts:
    Ending the cold emails is the right thing to do. Going 1 - 118 emails with 1 response is abysmal. This is even after changing my email content to be more valuable. It was already targeted on-point for the industry. Optimizing a waste of time doesn't change it from being a waste of time.

@MTF You were right that email isn't as effective anymore.

It is not the right environment to contact someone in a new way unless there is a very specific detailed and useful reason. I now think cold email and even possibly email in general is quite possibly the most overrated and over promoted marketing tactic, unless the person is already looking for your email.

In a more correct environment, I went 1 - 12, which seems closer to a useful number.

I was thinking about this in the wrong way. Environment is critical.

-----
    In other news, I'm still working on the out-of-industry project and will make some followups on Monday.

[section removed as it is a distraction]

Goal for tomorrow:
    Finish up appointment, send more connections,

Overarching goal:

Challenges:

x

Current Schedule:
    1 hour meditation
    1 hour eating
    5 hours emailing and following up
    2 hours research

[section removed as it is a duplicate]

-------
    Note: no notes today

6. EasternCrane

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Day 17:

Quote of the day:
    "The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones" - Confucius
    Big Update:
    +2 genuine problems
    +1 scheduled call

Note: can't make more connections I think because I ran out of commercial messaging or something.

Current Stats:
    45 cold emails (action)
    4 bounces
    3 responses (action)
    0 sales
    2 problems
    1 call (action)
    1 project (action)
    2 meeting (action)
    50 followup (action)
    6 business failures

Total actions: 152

Feelings and Thoughts:
    So, I found two real problems that are on-point/target for the industry! Woohoo!

I actually suspected one of the problems while I was researching, but I wasn't sure. They are both interesting. Neither of the problems deal with software.

I'm going to take a field trip soon to scope out one of the problems.

Note: the 5 preliminary problems I found don't apply to what I'm doing. I misinterpreted the data. The problems apply to a different element of the industry.

I'm starting to think the world probably doesn't need more software.

Time to see if the problems can be solved and prep for selling!
    ---

In other news, I'm still working on the out-of-industry project for free to find more problems.

Goal for tomorrow:
    Figure out field trip

Overarching goal:

Challenges:

See if both problems can be solved. Confirmed and unconfirmed.

Current Schedule:
    1 hour meditation
    1 hour eating
    5 hours research

-------
    Note: this thread is just my own personal attempt at kaizen and way to improve every day. I don't believe massive numbers always = massive action because you can have massive impact with low numbers. It is relative. Everything in life is conditional.

7. MTF

MTF Never give up Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $59,738
    Updates?

SoftStone likes this.
  8. EasternCrane

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Haven't stopped yet. I'm currently waiting on 1 person to meet for coffee and see what turns up.

He's the first test case for selling and part of the reason why I stopped blasting people over email and social networks.

There is just this waiting game and possibly time to make a decision.

I'm also trying to figure out how to make this field trip to see if the product can be built. I may scrap the product because the field trip is looking like an area I don't want to visit for safety reasons.

I just received word on the first location yesterday or the day before.

I may wind up going for the second or third possible product.
    ---
    In other news, I applied for some jobs since it was suggested in the thread.

There is something I want to do for the project to cover my bases, but I don't have the money to do it.

I'm also going to that conference I mentioned earlier.

SoftStone likes this.
  9. SoftStone

SoftStone Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $238
    how long have you been waiting for that person?

10. EasternCrane

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    we just started talking. We're supposed to meet this week. The week is over. He's only had a 3 days to respond or confirm though.

11. SoftStone

SoftStone Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $238
    I'll try to add some value from my limited experience (haven't made a dime, yet, but whatever...).

I recently contacted someone via the phone to offer him my web development services. He agreed and said that I should send him an email.

Fast forward a couple of weeks he still has not responded after following up twice.

Now, I am not saying that is going to happen to you.

All I am saying is that it's quite a bad idea to rely on one outcome. I hope you're contacting other people in the meantime.

lewj24, jcvlds and MTF like this.
  12. EasternCrane

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Day 50:

Quote of the day:
    "A person experiences life as something separated from the rest -- a kind of optical delusion of consciousness. Our task must be to free ourselves from this self-imposed prison, and through compassion, to find the reality of Oneness" -- Albert Einstein
    Update:
    +1 meeting
    +1 proposals

I met the guy I was waiting on. He didn't seem to have all nice things to say about some of the other people I talked to. His mindset seemed problem focused or negativity focused. I wound up confirming the second of the 3 problems I discovered. He said the current problem I'm working on isn't much of an issue, but I haven't scoped it out well so I don't know.

He told me to send him a proposal for what is essentially a "lead gen" site in the solar industry. There don't seem to be many sites like this. The scale and opportunity may be there and there may be a way to stand out from other companies.

So now it's time to see if I get the first sale. I will probably start another set of cold contacts/outreach next week because of a death in the family.

So, I will be putting more numbers up soon. I had to wait a little bit though while confirming that there are actually problems and opportunities.
    -----
    In other news, I'm still waiting to take that damn field trip to scope out the other problem lolololol. It is scheduled though.:rofl:

There may also be another sale in the works. If I see this guy I met randomly while getting coffee I'll ask him what's on his mind.

Current Stats:
    45 cold emails (action)
    4 bounces
    3 responses (action)
    0 sales
    2 problems
    1 proposal (action)
    1 call (action)
    1 project (action)
    3 meeting (action)
    50 followup (action)
    6 business failures

Total actions: 154

Feelings and Thoughts:
    I didn't think I'd get to the point where someone would actually consider buying anything or even pretend to consider it.
    I still don't know if this guy is playing me. He asked for a proposal though. I'm going to trust him to help me discover more about myself and what I should be doing.

What I do know is that even when you think you can't trust someone or that they'll let you down, you should trust them anyway. Trust them to be their self. Trust them to come through for you. Trust them to give you an opportunity to be better than you were before. Trust them to help you discover things in yourself that are limiting you.

Goal for tomorrow:
    prep for putting up numbers towards sales on the second problem.

Overarching goal:

Challenges:

Get first sale.

{section removed as it is a distraction}

-------
    Note: this thread is just my own personal attempt at kaizen and way to improve every day. I don't believe massive numbers always = massive action because you can have massive impact with low numbers. It is relative. Everything in life is conditional.

13. EasternCrane

Rep Bank:
    $1,636
    Day 80:

Update:

Had the meeting. So, I'm currently waiting on a response for a sale. I think I need to change direction for the industry or change the approach entirely.

I have currently contacted upwards of 35% of the businesses for the category I'm approaching. I didn't realize how there weren't that many businesses to contact.

I'm buying 3 books on the industry now so I don't feel totally lost in the jargon they use. I'm buying 1 book to understand where innovation is headed in the industry.
    ---
    Did not abandon. Will not abandon.

Also, applying for some jobs since it was suggested.

14. lewj24

Rep Bank:
    $5,016
    It looks like you've spent the last 2 months waiting. How many more months will you spend waiting? It's time to start doing, hustling, executing, selling. All waiting does is make you old. Stop waiting. Start doing.

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left over by those who hustle." ~Abraham Lincoln

MTF, Stargazer and SoftStone like this.