The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Live your best life.

Tired of paying for dead communities hosted by absent gurus who don't have time for you?

Imagine having a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been a cornerstone of Fastlane, actively contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With more than 38,000 game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve their freedom. Join a thriving community of over 90,000 members and access a vast library of over 1,000,000 posts from entrepreneurs around the globe.

Registration at the forum removes this block.

Advice Needed - How to Build a Facebook Following from Nothing

Marketing, social media, advertising

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Hi all,

I've been having trouble finding an answer to my question online and around the forum, so hopefully some of you will have some ideas or experiences with this.

I'm starting a business (aren't we all). It's a unique product, custom design, requires a license to create, and is quite expensive. Think... collectible movie merchandise, like replica Lightsabers.

My question is, how can I start to build an audience, without advertising? I've commissioned a design, and I have several images of it. I have a brand name, logo, and facebook page set up and ready to go. My question is: once I start to post pictures to the facebook page, how do I get people to find the page? Without paying for ads.

Here are my thoughts so far:

1) There are a handful (3-5) facebook groups within the niche that I'm a member of. I think that I could post an image on my own page, then go to the groups and basically say "hi, I'm working on making X, here's a few images, and you can follow my page <here> for more updates". Obviously copy would be dialed in and all of that.

2) I could go through and cold-invite the members of the above-mentioned groups to join my page with a little message similar to the copy from the post.

3) Work to build an Instagram following by following people, good use of images, and good use of hashtags and then work to redirect them to the facebook page or a landing page that I could set up. There's a Notable! thread with a lot of good advice on how to build up IG followers that I'll be using.

I'd like to know if there are other options I should be using or if any of these are ineffective from your experience.

The commission wasn't cheap, so I'm trying to get as far as I can on free, organic traffic before I begin advertising. Ideally, I'd hold off on advertising until I'm actually prepared to make sales, which may be many months out.

I'd appreciate any and all thoughts and advice! Thanks in advance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MattR82

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
182%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Would that annoy admins of the groups you are talking about and possibly get you kicked off? Suppose it depends how open they are to self promotion.

@Andy Black has a good thread called pm me that you may find interesting. Although as you have a product rather than a service it may be kinda different.

How active and well known are you in the groups already? Are you someone known as an expert or have some kind of authority or would it just be like chucking a dead cat on the table and walking out?

Merging Left

Silver Contributor
LEGACY MEMBER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 20, 2014
Would that annoy admins of the groups you are talking about and possibly get you kicked off? Suppose it depends how open they are to self promotion.
Great question. I'm a member of several groups. I've identified a small handful that encourage people to post projects they're working on, and promotion is permitted.

@Andy Black has a good thread called pm me that you may find interesting. Although as you have a product rather than a service it may be kinda different.
I will find that thread, thank you!

How active and well known are you in the groups already? Are you someone known as an expert or have some kind of authority or would it just be like chucking a dead cat on the table and walking out?
I'm not active within them at all. They're largely "XYZ Company has just released a new product!" or "My shipment finally arrived, check it out!". I don't see a lot of value-add opportunities within the comment sections of the posts, but getting more engaged is absolutely something I need to do, even if it's just liking and commenting "Looks awesome". The group admins are very regular posters, and I've toyed with the idea of reaching out to them to see if they want to post in their groups, but I'm struggling with what I could offer in return. I guess the worst thing that could happen is they decline.

Become a Fastlane Member Today to Read More or Comment.

This thread has
more posts!

Join MJ DeMarco's Inner Circle and Rub Shoulders with Other Millionaire Entrepreneurs

Imagine a multi-millionaire mentor by your side EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been the driving force of Fastlane, contributing on over 99% of days—99.92% to be exact! With over 38,000 posts game-changing posts, he's dedicated to helping entrepreneurs achieve freedom. Join 90,000+ members and access a vast library of 1,000,000+ posts from entrepreneurs worldwide.

Fastlane isn’t just another community led by an absent guru. By joining, you enter MJ’s inner circle—a supportive home where you’re never alone. Embrace true mentorship and transform your entrepreneurial journey with the Fastlane Forum.

Basic Membership (Monthly)

• Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • Cancel anytime

$5 per month

Join Now

Basic Membership (Yearly)

• Save 22% vs monthly
  • Read all threads in the main forums/categories.
  • Post comments in existing topics.
  • React to any comment/post.
  • Sort big threads by best posts.
  • 30% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription
  • Cancel anytime

$47 per year

Join Now

VIP Insider Membership

• Same as basic plus...
  • Guaranteed read and response from MJ DeMarco*
  • Access to the private Insider forum for more advanced users.
  • Bookmark any posts
  • No non-sponsor ads
  • 50% Off a Yearly GoalSumo.com Subscription ($34 Value)

$119.88 per year

Join Now

* If you post any question or problem within the INSIDER forum, this guarantees MJ will read and respond to your post to the best of his ability at least one time. This guarantee does not imply a lifetime dialogue or a personal ongoing mentorship. Again, MJ has authored more than 38,000 responses at this forum since 2007.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.